Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

According the bookies who have changed their tune considerably...it's a very hard constituency to read and the recent poll has confused things even more. I think she will scrape in.

Ya will be interesting for sure . I say it could be a long count and maybe recount .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Haven't seen the man himself make an appearance though, while the Greens and Soc Dems have been out talking to people and getting engaged in some healthy debates beyond "BUILD THE BYPASS NOW".

Was stuck at a set of traffic lights on the bicycle late last night on way home from work(waiting for a car to trigger them). Ollies big sign was straight in front of me, was surprised they have not been modified yet. One can easily have
    "
    BUILD THE
    BYPASS
    NOW
    "

by blocking out a few letters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Looking in here from E Gal I always thought CC would easily hold her seat going by her performances in the Dail and on Committees and generally how she's come accross on media. Now on reading this thread I'm beginning to rethink my position I wonder is she perhaps one of those politicians who looks and seems great to the outsider while those on the ground nearer to her have a different view given her work (or lack thereoff)on the ground in her own constituency

Looking in here from E Gal I always thought CC would easily hold her seat going by her performances in the Dail and on Committees and generally how she's come accross on media. Now on reading this thread I'm beginning to rethink my position I wonder is she perhaps one of those politicians who looks and seems great to the outsider while those on the ground nearer to her have a different view given her work (or lack thereoff)on the ground in her own constituency

She is a bit like Michael D, he had the same issue as this. CC acts and behaves like a National Politician. The old Irish clientelism system never suits that kind of politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BUILD THE
    BYPASS
    NOW
    by blocking out a few letters. :D
    ^^^^
    No. 1 suspect should this notion appear

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    ^^^^
    No. 1 suspect should this notion appear

Guilty your honor!
    I say Ollie Crowe would probably laugh if he seen such a defacement(if it was just the 1 poster mind).
    He is one of the more personable Cllrs that I have met in Galway City Council over the years. A typical FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

She is a bit like Michael D, he had the same issue as this. CC acts and behaves like a National Politician. The old Irish clientelism system never suits that kind of politician.

It seems a lot of people will vote for the politician who sorts out the medical card for their mother, rather than voting for a politician who works to ensure that those entitled to one receives them automatically.

Personally I see CC as someone who is fighting for a fairer Ireland. She will be getting my number 1 vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I'm going to log my bold bookies defying prediction here... :pac:
    1 Éamonn Ó Cuív
    2 Hildegarde Naughton
    3 Pauline O'Reilly
    4 Niall O'Tuathail
    5 Catherine Connolly

thebackbar wrote: »
    It seems a lot of people will vote for the politician who sorts out the medical card for their mother, rather than voting for a politician who works to ensure that those entitled to one receives them automatically.
    True. It never ceases to amaze me.
    Only last week, guy at work at lunchtime was saying he was voting for Willie O Dea (he works and lives in Galway City but has the vote for "home", thats another story) because Willie "sorted" his grandmother out for a medical card.

Drivetime Radio1 GW debate now on

Mary Wilson making mincemeat of Mike Cubbard - 'we need to regulate AirBnB', 'but it is regulated'
    O Tuathail seems to shine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

1 Éamonn Ó Cuív
    2 Hildegarde Naughton
    3 Pauline O'Reilly
    4 Niall O'Tuathail
    5 Catherine Connolly

Logic defying. POR NOT and CC will be drawing out of the same pot. At most two quotas

1 Éamonn Ó Cuív
    2 Hildegarde Naughton

3 Pauline O'Reilly
    4 Niall O'Tuathail
    5 Catherine Connolly

2 Right and 3 Left. Cannot see that happening. The recent City Council elections dont even show that kind of voting pattern, never mind the County.

Hospitals, Homelessness, Galway2020 fiasco being mentioned now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mary Wilson making mincemeat of Mike Cubbard - 'we need to regulate AirBnB', 'but it is regulated'

I didn't see it but it's been legislated but is not regulated. The council have said they lack the resources to enforce it.

2 Right and 3 Left. Cannot see that happening. The recent City Council elections dont even show that kind of voting pattern, never mind the County.

For context, it is currently 4 - 1. 4 Right and 1 Left.
    Catherine Connolly got the 4th seat in the last election.

It might go 3 - 2 this time, very hard to predict though based on the betting and polls. Would expect a very long Galway West Count. Could be one of the last to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I reckon the Saturday election will pull in more (younger) left votes. Sure let's see, it's just a punt! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Caught the tailend of it - Sean Kyne wouldn't shut up interrupting people.

Not surprising Grealish refused to answer their calls to take part in the debate. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Personally I see CC as someone who is fighting for a fairer Ireland. She will be getting my number 1 vote.

my Dad gave Frank fahy the fianna failer a life time of support because he got my mum back her medical card in the 90's, until sometime in 2010's I pointed out to my Dad that Frank only got Mum back what she was entitled to until the very same fianna fail took it away from her the year before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tribesman West

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I didn't see it but it's been legislated but is not regulated. The council have said they lack the resources to enforce it.

City Council executive are prepared to throw money at Galway 2020 yet not enforce AirBnB regulations due to lack of resources. Did any of the City Council election candidates raise this issue when asked for further Galway2020 funding during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

City Council executive are prepared to throw money at Galway 2020 yet not enforce AirBnB regulations due to lack of resources. Did any of the City Council election candidates raise this issue when asked for further Galway2020 funding during the week.

Probably a bit to do with if Galway 2020 is in any way successful they will need every AirBnB available for tourists. Need to look like they are doing something for locals when in reality Galway seems to be more worried about how we look to an international audience than looking after people who live here

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

I think they were just stunned by the request and the lack of clarity as to what the money was for.

That's why Cllr O'Reilly put down the motion to defer the vote.

As you say it's the exec throwing money at Galway 2020. Something I feel will fail spectularly to deliver any lasting legacy as per it's remit. And to my mind as Mayor Hubbard is on the board of Galway2020 he needs to stand up and be counted too.

The disappointing thing is that Galway organises great annual events and festivals, but when it comes to big one offs e.g. Galway 2020 & 2nd Volvo event everything seems to go wrong. But that's probably another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Probably a bit to do with if Galway 2020 is in any way successful they will need every AirBnB available for tourists. Need to look like they are doing something for locals when in reality Galway seems to be more worried about how we look to an international audience than looking after people who live here

heaven forbid all those airbnb properties and rooms would made available to the renters of galway city that would also have the positive effect of taking the crazy prices of rents down a huge chunk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

On Ivan Yates' show on Newstalk he has predicted that Ó'Cuív, Grealish, Connolly and Naughton will all be returned, while Kyne will lose out to Crowe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think 4 out of the 5 incumbents will be returned. I would suggest only Sean Kyne is at risk. Hildegarde has worked very hard since 2016.

My prediction is
    1. O'Cuiv
    2. Grealish
    3. Naughton
    4. Connolly
    5. Not sure - I'd like to see Niall O'Tuathail get it perhaps.

I am going to stick with my original prediction and lock in O'Tuathail for 5th seat.

political pundit Ivan Yates gave his 2 cent today
    He made the point that FF have never gotten into government without two seats in GW, therefore it's a bellwether
    Also that Crowe has plastered his mug e v e r y w h e r e
    He made the point that the left have a majority in City Council. Podcast cut short before final prediction

O Cuiv
    Crowe
    Grealish
    Naughton
    Connolly

Anyone else getting targeted Youtube ads?
    Mine is a bit geo-off, Galway West is getting a 'Hi, I'm Donagh Killilea.."

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Anyone else getting targeted Youtube ads?
    Mine is a bit geo-off, Galway West is getting a 'Hi, I'm Donagh Killilea.."

Yes. Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

I've been getting Alan Dillon ads.

• Advertisement

On the instagram app I'm getting ads for Anne Rabbitte despite being in Galway West

Advertisement