Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mine came yesterday

as did mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

2 out of 4 arrived this morning

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Remember, tonight is Arts and Arts Worker Hustings on Tuesday 4th:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/arts-hustings-ge-2020-galway-west-tickets-91187304683

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

biko wrote: »
    Remember, tonight is Arts and Arts Worker Hustings on Tuesday 4th:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/arts-hustings-ge-2020-galway-west-tickets-91187304683

That was this afternoon. The One Galway hustings is tonight;
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ge2020-galway-west-candidate-hustings-tickets-92037664131?aff=erelexpmlt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They probably thought he was an economic migrant seeing as hadn't been around for the last four years:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

How much of Galway West would have to go into Galway East to make both of them 4 seaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

How much of Galway West would have to go into Galway East to make both of them 4 seaters?

Back of an envelope math's. Population of 4.8 million. 158 tds means about 30,000 people per seat in the Dáil. Would take a massive chuck of farmland to move an extra seat to Galway East and mean a few commuter towns with more interest in the city not having a city candidate to vote for.

If you wanted to make Galway east have more seats make more sense to just combine it and roscommon into a 6 seater. The concerns of people in Galway East and roscommon would be a lot more aligned than with people living in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's based on population -
    minimum of one seat per 20k - maximum of one seat per 30k people

Return South Mayo to them, steal back Galway from Roscommon, etc
    syLcQLO.jpg

If you wanted to make Galway east have more seats make more sense to just combine it and roscommon into a 6 seater. The concerns of people in Galway East and roscommon would be a lot more aligned than with people living in the city.

There is NO 6 seater in the Country though?

5 seats is the max, 3 is the min.

Ollie Crowe had a couple of canvassers out handing flyers to cars on the Tuam road after 7 this morning.

• Advertisement

6297b71805.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

6297b71805.jpg

Thats Ollie, hes starting to build the bypass, going to fund it out of his own pocket as well.:D

Tipp election will go ahead this Sat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

6297b71805.jpg

It's Christy Moore.

Look at him sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They probably thought he was an economic migrant seeing as hadn't been around for the last four years:

His own siblings emigrated to America thirty plus years ago when there was nothing happening in Ireland. But that’s different I guess, for some reason or another....

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Those dogs deserve a treat. Good dogs!

EP9G_y1WAAAZf3Z?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ollie Crowe had a couple of canvassers out handing flyers to cars on the Tuam road after 7 this morning.

The same on Newcastle road

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

With only a few days to go how are people predicting it will go ? I predict that our five elected TDS will be

O'Cuiv
    Grealish
    Naughton
    O'Reilly
    C Connolly

The last two will be very tight, O'Tuathail could push Connolly out for the last seat.

Crowe will get an award for running the most expensive unsuccessful political campaign in Irish General Election History

Has anyone else not had a single canvasser? I live in the city centre, there are posters on every lamp post on my street but have not had a single canvasser knock on the door.

I work from home so I haven't been missing them during the day. I noticed the same thing at the Europeans, not a single canvasser for any European candidates but there were about 6 or so local election canvassers.

I don't particularly want to be bothered all day. I assumed it was something that maybe they were moving away from like maybe there had been a study it does more harm than good but when I was talking to a friend in Dublin last night she said that she was getting 2-3 every evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I live in the city and the only canvasser I've had was Social Democrats.

• Advertisement

Have 4 teams. Live West Side of the City in Rahoon
    1. Soc Dem - Niall O Tuathail
    2. Catherine Connolly
    3. FG - Canvassers not the candidates (Hildegarde)
    4. FF - Canvassers not the candidates(Ollie)

Are any party so sophisticated that they are only calling to houses on the electoral registrar? Would save knocking on doors that have no votes?

Has anyone else not had a single canvasser? I live in the city centre, there are posters on every lamp post on my street but have not had a single canvasser knock on the door.

I work from home so I haven't been missing them during the day. I noticed the same thing at the Europeans, not a single canvasser for any European candidates but there were about 6 or so local election canvassers.

I don't particularly want to be bothered all day. I assumed it was something that maybe they were moving away from like maybe there had been a study it does more harm than good but when I was talking to a friend in Dublin last night she said that she was getting 2-3 every evening

Are you registered to vote at your address? I've seen groups on canvassers check a list before deciding which houses to go to then skipping us. We're registered to vote at an old address, same constituency just didn't get around to changing it yet.

Are any party so sophisticated that they are only calling to houses on the electoral registrar? Would save knocking on doors that have no votes?

Yep, I've seen this in the last couple of elections.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Are you registered to vote at your address? I've seen groups on canvassers check a list before deciding which houses to go to then skipping us. We're registered to vote at an old address, same constituency just didn't get around to changing it yet.

Been here for years and already have my voting card. Have been getting loads of election leaflets by post

Sean Kyne was a bit resigned this morning on GBFM, admitting mistakes have been made.

Crowe and Naughton feeling pressure, erecting new billboards
    Crowe - Galway, our smart green city
    Naughton - Don't just hope for a new hospital, vote for it!

Unfortunately this type of sloganeering works :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Got flyers in the door today for Darragh O' Flaherty.

"Patriotic Anti-Corruption Candidate."

Very much against "soft talk."

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

I don't understand how people could look at Ollie Crowe's posters & billboards and think 'Yeah, I'll vote for him'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Arghus wrote: »
    Got flyers in the door today for Darragh O' Flaherty.

"Patriotic Anti-Corruption Candidate."

Very much against "soft talk."

I like the sound of that

Stewball wrote: »
    I don't understand how people could look at Ollie Crowe's posters & billboards and think 'Yeah, I'll vote for him'.
    Make Galway Great Again

• Advertisement

Stewball wrote: »

But what about our smart green city? The other candidates aren't going to do the smart green city thing.

Advertisement