Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

flynnlives wrote: »

Social Democrats will get my No.1. Only party with policies that appeal to me. 2nd maybe to the greens.

I am also thinking along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Leaders' Debate on Monday is being broadcast from NUIG: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/nuigalumnirelations_ge2020-activity-6626144677684928512-78oL

A handful of students quite annoyed by it - how RTE/NUIG are kicking out students from Aras na Mac Leinn (Students Building) to host the debate. lol. One student saying NUIG should have booked this back in May! (https://twitter.com/mle_aherne/status/1220720828041584642).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Constituency poll next Tuesday on TG4
    In 2016, they were a bit off the first preference and actual result

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Hildegard Naughtons team are busy putting up new posters that last couple of days. She must feel under threat of losing her seat if she printing and putting up more posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Have any of the city councillors who are running indicated who will replace them on the council if elected? Is it a party decision or up to the councillor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

amiable wrote: »
    Have any of the city councillors who are running indicated who will replace them on the council if elected? Is it a party decision or up to the councillor?

Don't they have to nominate an alternative / alternate to take up their place if successful ? If memory serves me the replacement doesn't have to face the electorate on taking up the seat. I seem to remember the Connolly's pulling such a stroke when the dail seat was achieved ?

westgolf wrote: »
    Don't they have to nominate an alternative / alternate to take up their place if successful ? If memory serves me the replacement doesn't have to face the electorate on taking up the seat. I seem to remember the Connolly's pulling such a stroke when the dail seat was achieved ?

That would be interesting with who Pauline O’Reilly chooses as it appears some of her prominent supporters are ones that objected to the Cappagh Park lights. Pauline was supporting Knocknacarra for the lights this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

telekon wrote: »
    Fair dues to mike. I’ve never seen so many posters for one person anywhere in the country as I have seen for Ollie Crowe this week. They’re absolutely everywhere! I was hoping that candidates would have the cop on to limit their garbage somewhat in this day and age where the environment is such a hot topic. As far as I’ve heard they’re not recyclable which makes it even more infuriating.

Drove out past Claregalway direction last weekend and he had the place polluted with his posters the entire way. Wasn't that many from the other candidates but that might have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

amiable wrote: »
    That would be interesting with who Pauline O’Reilly chooses as it appears some of her prominent supporters are ones that objected to the Cappagh Park lights. Pauline was supporting Knocknacarra for the lights this week.

I don't think anyone has objected. It was a decision by the executive that the club didn't have permission so had to remove them. As far as I can tell all councillors feel they should be reinstalled.

Independents can nominate who they like. Parties usually have a selection convention for choosing a replacement. I suppose it's a cost issue for not running a bye election. To run in the MEP election you need to nominate 5 alternatives !

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is voting for Independents a waste in a general election? They are too focused on local issues, something that the councilors should be dealing with surely. Most importantly, they'll probably have no say in the running of the country, or in an opposition party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

westgolf wrote: »

How was it a stroke if it was completely within the law? Did you expect the council to hold a by-election for a single council seat? She nominated her sister, who was also a former councillor who had been elected in her own right previously, and who would have a similar political outlook. I don't see any stroke.

Drove out past Claregalway direction last weekend and he had the place polluted with his posters the entire way. Wasn't that many from the other candidates but that might have changed since.
    We are all talking about Ollie Crowe, severe chance he'll get elected then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

holly8 wrote: »
    Just look at who and what keeps Joe Loughnane and his past antics in the media...all.persons far more extreme and scarier than JL ever will be ... it is having the opposite effect on me though, I might actually vote for him! Well impressed with his ability to protest, organise and his passion at the last GARM protest.

Love his Angelus-like election posters too!

https://youtu.be/1gkiGUBAM7g

Anyone that finds the behaviour in this video as being suitable to represent people in the dail should have their vote taken off them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

6 wrote: »
    Is voting for Independents a waste in a general election? They are too focused on local issues, something that the councilors should be dealing with surely. Most importantly, they'll probably have no say in the running of the country, or in an opposition party.

If there was ever a country where independent members of parliament had an exagerated role in government, it's this one.
    Shane Ross, Catherine Zappone, Finian McGrath, John Halligan, all Ministers or Ministers of State. Not to mention the likes of the Healy Raes in opposition. Arguably the most vocal members on the opposition benches.
    Going forward, independents will have an even louder voice in the Dail as larger parties lose more and more support from the general public.
    If only the caliber of candidate was a little better, we could have a very healthy, forward thinking Oireachtas.

6 wrote: »

I disagree. Given the stupid whip system in the parliamentary parties, the backbench TDs are essentially gagged. They have to tow the party line always.
    Independents have more of a voice now than ever. Our own Catherine Connolly was extremely impressive on getting answers to the waste of taxpayer money on the PAC. It took Independent TDs to highlight the extensive corruption in the Gardai and finally get justice for Maurice McCabe. Remember what the 'establishment' were willing to do to that poor man and his family. He nearly did not survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

https://youtu.be/1gkiGUBAM7g

Anyone that finds the behaviour in this video as being suitable to represent people in the dail should have their vote taken off them

as opposed to Ray Burke, Michael Lowry, Ivor Callely, Healy Raes, .... the list goes on and on ... thankfully we live in a democracy and we all get to vote for whoever we want whether you approve or not

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In a democracy you trust the average Soaps to make the best decision aggregated.
    We will have to respect that, even if we think some people are making a crazy choice.

biko wrote: »
    In a democracy you trust the average Soaps to make the best decision aggregated.
    We will have to respect that, even if we think some people are making a crazy choice.

We get the government we deserve

We get the government we deserve

And look where we are with that ...

And look where we are with that ...

Yes we are talking about voting in that lad. We really are at a new low.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Zzippy wrote: »
    How was it a stroke if it was completely within the law? Did you expect the council to hold a by-election for a single council seat? She nominated her sister, who was also a former councillor who had been elected in her own right previously, and who would have a similar political outlook. I don't see any stroke.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/returning-councillor-can-keep-severance-pay-rx7jpd6sz

Still refuses to answer questions on this, most elected donate it back or give it to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/returning-councillor-can-keep-severance-pay-rx7jpd6sz

Still refuses to answer questions on this, most elected donate it back or give it to charity.

Why the hell are they given a severance package anyway?
    We seem to love just throwing money at public representatives. Even when they're not one anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Going by the experts it appears that we may elect one left/liberal candidate in Galway, the hippies must have all moved out.

Does anyone have an opinion on a tactical voting strategy or does it matter?

I will likely vote 1. Catherine Connolly 2. Niall Ó Tuathail 3. Green party.

live debate on now on Galway Politics Live FB page

live debate on now on Galway Politics Live FB page
    Give us a brief verdict on it when it ends

rgace wrote: »
    Going by the experts it appears that we may elect one left/liberal candidate in Galway, the hippies must have all moved out.

Does anyone have an opinion on a tactical voting strategy or does it matter?

I will likely vote 1. Catherine Connolly 2. Niall Ó Tuathail 3. Green party.

I would nearly suggest O'Tuathail (SD) first preference because he is least likely to get in. If he get's eliminated his transfer will help Connolly secure her seat.

zell12 wrote: »
    PaddyPower seat odds 21/01/2020
    Cuív Ó Éamonn 1.13
    Grealish Noel 1.14
    Kyne Séan 1.20
    Connolly Catherine 1.25
    Naughton Hildegarde 1.57
    Crowe Ollie 2.50
    O'Reilly Pauline 3.50
    Cubbard Mike 4.00
    Farrell Mairead 7.00
    McNelis Niall 9.00
    O'Tuathail Niall 13.00
    O'Flaherty Darragh 26.00
    Loughnane Joe 34.00
    Burke Conor 41.00
    O Corcoran Cormac 51.00

PaddyPower odds 26/01/2020
    Cuív Ó Éamonn 1.06
    Grealish Noel 1.14
    Kyne Séan 1.20
    Connolly Catherine 1.25
    Naughton Hildegarde 1.44
    Crowe Ollie 2.20
    O'Reilly Pauline 2.5
    Cubbard Mike 4.33
    Farrell Mairead 7.00
    McNelis Niall 9.00
    O'Tuathail Niall 13.00
    O'Flaherty Darragh 26.00
    Loughnane Joe 34.00
    Burke Conor 41.00
    O Corcoran Cormac 51.00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really don't understand how Mairead Farrell's odds are so radically better than Niall O Tuthail's. She couldn't even hold onto a council seat.

Trevor O Clochartaigh's vote in 2016 was as much to do with him as it was Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

Homelander wrote: »
    I really don't understand how Mairead Farrell's odds are so radically better than Niall O Tuthail's. She couldn't even hold onto a council seat.

Trevor O Clochartaigh's vote in 2016 was as much to do with him as it was Sinn Fein.

At least she had a council seat and was just very unlucky with transfers . And she wasn’t too good to run for the council either . Unlike a lad who thinks he should come from nowhere to be minister for health !! Arrogance personified

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    At least she had a council seat and was just very unlucky with transfers . And she wasn’t too good to run for the council either . Unlike a lad who thinks he should come from nowhere to be minister for health !! Arrogance personified

Is there a way of checking the councillors attendance record for council meetings?

Advertisement