Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

O’Snodaigh is still a member of SF isn’t he?

Yes. Where am I losing you? There's more than one member y'know ;)

Ah well done. I’d say you’ve been dying to use that one.

It's well used. People just switch out the badly shopped photos depending on the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Any party is the sum of it's members and how it deals with them.
    We really need up our accountability expectations.

I didn't say my way is right that just how I see it. I can except you see it differently and that fine.

titan18 wrote: »
    It's hard for vote for FG considering it's Varadkar and Coveney who really don't seem to give a crap about people.

I don't think Martin does either tbh, but it's at least not saying that FGs performance has been acceptable.

Id ideally vote for neither but those turkey's are better than the others at least imo. Id ideally prefer an actual economic right party going into government who might give a crap about the working people of the country and not increase welfare spending.

You don't know that.
    You can't have it both ways.
    A right wing agenda favours business, the public suffer, welfare/aid needs to be widened and increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

titan18 wrote: »
    It's hard for vote for FG considering it's Varadkar and Coveney who really don't seem to give a crap about people.

I don't think Martin does either tbh, but it's at least not saying that FGs performance has been acceptable.

Id ideally vote for neither but those turkey's are better than the others at least imo. Id ideally prefer an actual economic right party going into government who might give a crap about the working people of the country and not increase welfare spending.

A lot of 100% guaranteed FG voters are using this type line lol.

Anyone voting FG was never going to change their mind no matter what.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I didn't say my way is right that just how I see it. I can except you see it differently and that fine.

I know, I was disagreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A hung Dail and much negotiations with oddball Indos is my guess.

SF are toxic. Labour might cut it, the Indos also but honestly, looking at the most publicity wise as Shane Ross in Transport who got the Garda Station re opened. I fkn despair.

It should be about the Country not the constituency, but in fairness, the multi seat thing leads us to this pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You don't know that.
    You can't have it both ways.
    A right wing agenda favours business, the public suffer, welfare/aid needs to be widened and increased.

Welfare does not need to be increased, it should be reduced if anything.

Welfare does not need to be increased, it should be reduced if anything.

Depends. Point is generally more folk need state aid when government looks after business and ignores the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It's well used. People just switch out the badly shopped photos depending on the party.

Ah it’s pretty well done now, in fairness. It’s the little things. Like for me, the little Union flag in the “bin your rubbish” poster stands out, really ties it all together.

Now, I guess it’s not for everyone. Maybe too close to the bone?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

The Left has ruled for too long now. Time to fight back for the majority who work to pay for this largesse.

So who will back me and others like me? FG have abandoned us, FF will just spend and look after their mates. I dunno.

If anyone thinks this country has a Right Wing Government, get a grip. We don't.

The Left has ruled for too long now. Time to fight back for the majority who work to pay for this largesse.

So who will back me and others like me? FG have abandoned us, FF will just spend and look after their mates. I dunno.

If anyone thinks this country has a Right Wing Government, get a grip. We don't.
    Said it a few years ago Boards should have started a political party.

Everyone else is too left wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Personally, and IMO, I think this is the most depressing day in Irish political history.

An incompetent government with an air head Taoiseach should be a sitting duck in a GE.

Instead, while trying to determine a possible replacement, it becomes all too clear that there is nothing.

No vision, no plan, no ability to lead.

The only true policy adopted by previous and any future irish government will be to tax the worker for everything while giving them as little as possible.

The politician's plastic smiles and nonsensical sound bites will continue while the 'electorate' bitch and moan at each other on threads like this.

The public want what the public get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Depends. Point is generally more folk need state aid when government looks after business and ignores the tax payer.

No one should be on the dole for more than 12 months, in the current climate.

Should only be medical cards for people with a medical condition.

Kids and less well off should maybe have 5 free visits to the doctor.

No more children's allowance, instead free school books and meals in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not feeling any excitement over this election. Our choices are truly godawful. It's quite depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What stories someone quoting a rebutted article from s loyal gubermint broadsheet down with Fine Gael damn them to the depths of hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I normally vote FG but I’m voting FF in the next election for 5 reasons.

1. James Lawless FF is my local TD and seems the only politician interested in making a difference to our community.

2. Simon Harris - has made no difference and probably made the HSE worse. I can’t condone his position.

3. Eoghan Murphy - Exactly the same as Harris in relation to housing.

4. Mary Mitchell O’Connor - Feminist who openly promotes discrimination.

5. Leo Varadkar - was excellent with Brexit but I feel he has more interest in the EU then the ROI.

What constituency are you running in?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out with Harris, Flanagan & Ross. Varadkar as an added bonus.

Can you add Murphy to that list.

• Advertisement

Personally, and IMO, I think this is the most depressing day in Irish political history.

An incompetent government with an air head Taoiseach should be a sitting duck in a GE.

Instead, while trying to determine a possible replacement, it becomes all too clear that there is nothing.

The only true policy adopted by previous and any future irish government will be to tax the worker for everything while giving them as little as possible.

The politician's plastic smiles and nonsensical sound bites will continue while the 'electorate' bitch and moan at each other on threads like this.

Who would you like to see in the next Government to fulfil your wishes?

I agree with you that there is no choice left anymore. It is either SF (no from me), FF (similar to FG with a bias towards their builder mates and economy wrecking tendencies)

Time for a party that actually looks out for those who pay for everything in this country.

And that party is.........

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

1. James Lawless FF is my local TD and seems the only politician interested in making a difference to our community.

2. Simon Harris - has made no difference and probably made the HSE worse. I can’t condone his position.

5. Leo Varadkar - was excellent with Brexit but I feel he has more interest in the EU then the ROI.

Not attacking you but this just makes me laugh..the idea that theres an iota of difference between FF and FG. They are the same party. Any difference is an illusion.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Said it a few years ago Boards should have started a political party.

Everyone else is too left wing.

I thought most were already in FG ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Same constituency. But I don't base my vote on my local community. I believe that's why our issues are huge at a national level. Catherine Murphy will get my number one. Does great work at a national level holding the big parties to account.

Probably one of the most ethical TDs there is.

Voting in a GE in this country is like County Council elections.

TD.s are for ALL of us based on their party manifesto and policies. Leave the potholes to the CCs.

But I suppose there is a price to be paid for PR multi seat voting. I wouldn't want that to change, looking across the pond at FPTP. But still, the parish pump politics should be banned from TDs and left to the Councillors.

Oh ok that will never work. Right so.

I thought most were already in FG ;)

I'd imagine that'll be in a few days that it will be "after lots of hard thought FG are best so lets vote FG". Some are just at different parts of the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Who would you like to see in the next Government to fulfil your wishes?

I agree with you that there is no choice left anymore. It is either SF (no from me), FF (similar to FG with a bias towards their builder mates and economy wrecking tendencies)

Time for a party that actually looks out for those who pay for everything in this country.

And that party is.........

There is none. It could have been FG but they have squandered the opportunity.

Looking forward to seeing how many claim responsibility for the recent referendum results which failing to have achieved anything with their actual portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah and its not just here we are all saying it. They interviewed a lot of people on the street earlier, TV3 news and they mostly reckoned it was a total irrelevance who was in power. Absolutely pathetic. I despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why would you give kids meals in school? Do you realize what that would entail? Building kitchens in schools etc? Hiring staff?

The part of the school budget in the US allocated towards meals take sup a huge part of the overall education spending.

Very few healthy people will visit the DR more than 3 times a year. Its basically the same as a medical card.

If you give medical cards to people with medical conditions you would be giving out way more than we do now.

Your plans don't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Shut up is probably I'll say to election canvassers. It is unpleasant but so are threats to both free speech under the guise of hate speech laws and the imposition of exclusion zones.

Advertisement