Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

conorhal wrote: »
    Who could have predicted this in countries that took in 100,000's of migrants to permanantly resettle there might face a housing crisis as a result? We could clear the housing list of homeless just by declaring Nigeria a safe country to return to.
    Not that there's any credible candidate prepared to suggest that perhaps a housing Irish people should be a priority.

The housing crisis is more a result of the nimbyism of Irish people objecting to every single developmen than immigration.

I work with a huge number of immigrants who are contributing b their taxes to fund council houses for Irish people who make a career of being on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Little Brendan Howlin reckons Labour will be back in the Dail with double figures.

Sad that the party started by Jim Larkin ended up like it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Same constituency. But I don't base my vote on my local community. I believe that's why our issues are huge at a national level. Catherine Murphy will get my number one. Does great work at a national level holding the big parties to account.

Probably one of the most ethical TDs there is.

My vote is based on both local and national.

I would like to get the ministers I listed above out of there roles while supporting James on his role played representing my area

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know teachers, etc who are p*ssed with Leo for setting it on a Saturday and pensioners who mainly go out on a Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I disable my doorbell at election time. No way any whippersnapper trailing a candidate/party will ever change my view.

I look at the history. Where were you when this and that happened? What were your views on hard working people paying for everything.

Feck off the lot of you.

But sadly...... I have no one to speak for me and many like me.

It is just so depressing for us who struggle every day to not only pay our own way, but also to pay for others who can stay under the duvet.

Will certain parties wake up do you think? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I know teachers, etc who are p*ssed with Leo for setting it on a Saturday and pensioners who mainly go out on a Friday!

I'm sure there are plenty of parents around the country who dont have to arrange childcare or take a day off work as the schools won't be closed who wont be p1ssed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Little Brendan Howlin reckons Labour will be back in the Dail with double figures.

Sad that the party started by Jim Larkin ended up like it is now.

Well if we think Leo is bad , Brendan howlin and his voice with it , would depress a nation

Why would you give kids meals in school? Do you realize what that would entail? Building kitchens in schools etc? Hiring staff?

The part of the school budget in the US allocated towards meals take sup a huge part of the overall education spending.

Lots of schools in this country already supply meals.
    For some kids, it might be the only meal they get.
    I'd prefer my tax money to go to that rather than children's benefit which isn't necessary spent on the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Manach wrote: »
    Shut up is probably I'll say to election canvassers. It is unpleasant but so are threats to both free speech under the guise of hate speech laws and the imposition of exclusion zones.

What the deuce is an exclusion zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Delighted for them - they get every Summer off and every other holiday going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Very unlikely as long as they face no serious challenge to their right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No one should be on the dole for more than 12 months, in the current climate.

Should only be medical cards for people with a medical condition.

Kids and less well off should maybe have 5 free visits to the doctor.

No more children's allowance, instead free school books and meals in school.

Not my point. I'd cap children's allowance at 2 kids myself.
    Anyone not paying rent for social housing, out on your ear.

I mean the more tough things get in housing and the like the more tax payers need a state dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'd prefer my tax money to go to that rather than children's benefit which isn't necessary spent on the children.
    No they don't. Very few do.

My mother was an art teacher when her school tried this it almost bankrupt them. They stopped. You realize in the uk and the us kids have to pay each day in school for lunch? And it STILL costs the school money. Free meals are not possible.

Parents should be feeding their own kids schools have enough to do. And i don't get why you think cutting their parents dole after one yr is going to help.

bubblypop wrote: »

Good point , would u not consider running for government !

My mother was an art teacher when her school tried this it almost bankrupt them. They stopped.

Parents should be feeding their own kids schools have enough to do. And i don't get why you think cutting their parents dole after one yr is going to help.

Schools are getting the money fr it !

john4321 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are plenty of parents around the country who dont have to arrange childcare or take a day off work as the schools won't be closed who wont be p1ssed.

Hopefully for Leo the'll be Leo voters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Bambi wrote: »

Because of the actions of a bunch of a**holes have made this a necessary development

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/harris-will-examine-exclusion-zone-proposals-for-anti-abortion-protests-1.3952284

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bambi wrote: »

It’s to keep the “loons” at a safe distance away from the doors of the maternity hospitals. Will hopefully have them soon.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Time for a party that actually looks out for those who pay for everything in this country.

And that party is.........

0*ltQkCTMfLA76FYzr.

But, given the poor options on offer it's...

- FG. Arrogant, out of touch and determined to privatise and sell off as much as possible to their well connected friends. Have made fundamental issues worse in the last several years despite a now booming economy and full employment. Primary achievement has been to make FF electable again.

- FF. Prone to losing the run of themselves and where FG have their connected friends, FF have builders.
    Still, it might help address the housing crisis and they do seem to realise that you have to give something back to the plebs now and then. Just as with their almost namesakes no stranger to scandal and corruption.

- SF. Mary Lou seems hurt that neither of the above two will discuss coalition. The truth is though that they have no notion how to run a massively FDI and export dependent economy, seem to think that most people here consider "The North" as a primary election issue (they don't! Most people recognise we have enough to deal with here as it is). Will get seats but primary value is to hold the above 2 to account.

- LAB. Howlin seems to think that his core voters have forgotten how the party sold them out for a turn at the trough. Is 3 years enough to be forgiven? We'll see. My guess is they'll be the primary coalition partner for one of the big 2.

- Greens. Although reading social media and this site would suggest that the electorate is panicked about climate armageddon, the reality is they only got 7% of a low turnout last year. Their only real policies are to tax their way to environmental nirvana. Can't see them doing much on the day

- Independents. Many of course are simply FF/FGers in disguise, or one issue local candidates. With people like Ross, Zappone and even Lowry being key players at times, I think it's a wasted vote. Better to back one of the main parties and get involved in holding them to account than watering down the effectiveness of any Government that's formed.

- AAA and the rest. Useful (like SF) in exposing things the big 2 would rather keep quiet. That's about it.

Those are your choices really folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It’s to keep the “loons” at a safe distance away from the doors of the maternity hospitals. Will hopefully have them soon.

Will an FF-led government introduce them? Guess it would send a clear signal where they now stand on the broader abortion issue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There really is nowhere for the hard working person who gets up early, drops the kids off, battles traffic or gets a train, bus whatever in order to pay for others who don't have to do anything like that at all is there?

I am probably coming off as being a bit miffed. That would be correct.

But who do I vote for to look after people like me?

My mother was an art teacher when her school tried this it almost bankrupt them. They stopped. You realize in the uk and the us kids have to pay each day in school for lunch? And it STILL costs the school money. Free meals are not possible.

Yes they do.
    Deis schools supply lunches.
    The local secondary school in my home town also have a canteen.
    I went to school in the UK, lunches are cheap & some kids don't have to pay.
    Yep, parents should, but unfortunately some kids go without.

& who said dole should be cut after 12 months? Was it me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pjohnson wrote: »
    A lot of 100% guaranteed FG voters are using this type line lol.

Anyone voting FG was never going to change their mind no matter what.

I'm Cork South Central so out of the 4 seats, 3 are guaranteed anyway with Martin, McGrath and Coveney. I likely will vote McGrath first of those 3 and probably won't give a preference to the other two.

I'd have voted Coveney as first preference the last 2 elections but really not impressed with his performance or FG as a whole over the last few years.

Only the 4th seat is up for grabs really, so will have to see who's running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Why would you give kids meals in school? Do you realize what that would entail? Building kitchens in schools etc? Hiring staff?

The part of the school budget in the US allocated towards meals take sup a huge part of the overall education spending.

Very few healthy people will visit the DR more than 3 times a year. Its basically the same as a medical card.

If you give medical cards to people with medical conditions you would be giving out way more than we do now.

Your plans don't make sense.

The idea behind kids meals is to ensure kids get proper meals especially.

If u have kids you will know how hard it is to get an appointment at a doctors as it is clogged up with parents bringing their kids because of a cough as it's free.

Government currently wants free doctor for all under 16, so that would increase the number attending for no good reason, so just kids with proper medical conditions would work better. Means my two wouldn't have free visits so that is two less

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm Cork South Central so out of the 4 seats, 3 are guaranteed anyway with Martin, McGrath and Coveney. I likely will vote McGrath first of those 3 and probably won't give a preference to the other two.

I'd have voted Coveney as first preference the last 2 elections but really not impressed with his performance or FG as a whole over the last few years.

Only the 4th seat is up for grabs really, so will have to see who's running.

Did that SF lad do much out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

There are much bigger issues than complaining about what day the Election is held on,most countries in Europe hold theirs on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I think this is an unnecessary election. I think it is a distraction from what be a period of focus for the government on Brexit, NI, health, housing, and the threats to the economic model. The government should have done further alliances to shore up its support.

I'd be strongly in favour of an FG/Labour coalition. Policies need time to work, and I fear that this distraction will undermine what the focus should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If u have kids you will know how hard it is to get an appointment at a doctors as it is clogged up with parents bringing their kids because of a cough as it's free.

Government currently wants free doctor for all under 16, so that would increase the number attending for no good reason, so just kids with proper medical conditions would work better. Means my two wouldn't have free visits so that is two less

Their parents should be providing them with meals. I am not feeding other people's kids.

There should be free gps and private gps. If you want availability go to a private gp who will only handle private patients. Free gps can handle everyone else.

I go to a private dentist and a private dentist ...i don't have an issue getting an appointment.

Not every gp accepts medical cards.

I know people abuse medical cards...we do have to do something about that. Shrug...not sure how.

By the way drs and dentists can refuse to accept medical cards. And plenty do.
    I don't get why people moan about medical cards patients clogging up their Drs so much ...find a dr that isn't in a contract with the HSE and has gone fully private.

They should really have a babysitter facility at the doctors as most of them are in pyjamas in a hurry back to bed to conceive for more state money!
    Are ye not learning how the system works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I disable my doorbell at election time. No way any whippersnapper trailing a candidate/party will ever change my view.

I look at the history. Where were you when this and that happened? What were your views on hard working people paying for everything.

Feck off the lot of you.

But sadly...... I have no one to speak for me and many like me.

It is just so depressing for us who struggle every day to not only pay our own way, but also to pay for others who can stay under the duvet.

Well you do nothing to change it posting here.

Advertisement