Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Their parents should be providing them with meals. I am not feeding other people's kids.

There should be free gps and private gps. If you want availability go to a private gp who will only handle private patients. Free gps can handle everyone else.

I go to a private dentist and a private dentist ...i don't have an issue getting an appointment.

Not every gp accepts medical cards.

I know people abuse medical cards...we do have to do something about that. Shrug...not sure how.

But u already paid for parents to fee their kids, but they don't, they spend it on cigs etc. So this way the kids get it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm Cork South Central so out of the 4 seats, 3 are guaranteed anyway with Martin, McGrath and Coveney. I likely will vote McGrath first of those 3 and probably won't give a preference to the other two.

I'd have voted Coveney as first preference the last 2 elections but really not impressed with his performance or FG as a whole over the last few years.

Only the 4th seat is up for grabs really, so will have to see who's running.

Coveney was last to be elected in 2016 and its likely FG vote will drop a bit more.

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/cork-south-central/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    I think this is an unnecessary election. I think it is a distraction from what be a period of focus for the government on Brexit, NI, health, housing, and the threats to the economic model. The government should have done further alliances to shore up its support.

I'd be strongly in favour of an FG/Labour coalition. Policies need time to work, and I fear that this distraction will undermine what the focus should be.

Confidence and supply deal was for three budgets; it's only been dragged out this long because of Brexit. What incentive would there be for FF to prolong it any further?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They should really have a babysitter facility at the doctors as most of them are in pyjamas in a hurry back to bed to conceive for more state money!
    Are ye not learning how the system works!

My mother taught art in a school and one mother wanted them to serve breakfast before school ..then lunch and then dinner after school to her kids. She used to drop them off in her pjs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    I think this is an unnecessary election. I think it is a distraction from what be a period of focus for the government on Brexit, NI, health, housing, and the threats to the economic model. The government should have done further alliances to shore up its support.

I'd be strongly in favour of an FG/Labour coalition. Policies need time to work, and I fear that this distraction will undermine what the focus should be.

Brexit won't wash as an excuse anymore, nor will NI. The black and tans stuff has shown the country is nowhere near ready to consider a United Ireland. Power sharing has been restored. That's enough.

The Government has made the issues you mention worse. Why would giving them more time and supporting the likes of Harris and Murphy (who've achieved nothing) yield anything different now?

FG/Labour were in Government not that long ago. Their primary achievement was to get tens of thousands out on the street in protest, and the latter party decimated in the 2016 election. Again, why should we believe "this time it'll be better!"

• Advertisement

But u already paid for parents to fee their kids, but they don't, they spend it on cigs etc. So this way the kids get it for sure.
    Well then stop giving them money for cigs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well then stop giving them money for cigs etc.

Ah the social parties wouldn't like you. Murphy be chasing u down.
    But I know where u are coming from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

My mother taught art in a school and one mother wanted them to serve breakfast before school ..then lunch and then dinner after school to her kids. She used to drop them off in her pjs.

Ah stop she probably had to see the solicitors during the day for some claim or claims !
    Followed by trip to Vincent de Paul with poor mouth , and stop off for coffee with the girls to discuss what there losing out on !

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There are much bigger issues than complaining about what day the Election is held on,most countries in Europe hold theirs on Sundays.

It will be interesting to see turn out.
    Would people who'd traditionally voted going or coming home from work still go out and vote.
    I mentioned the pensioners also. A lot of who I know would only really go out on a Friday.
    Will students who may find it easier to get home vote for FG or would they turn to the Green Party.

. I am not feeding other people's kids.

But you are. Where do you think the money for children's benefit comes from? & it is paid for every child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I disable my doorbell at election time. No way any whippersnapper trailing a candidate/party will ever change my view.

I look at the history. Where were you when this and that happened? What were your views on hard working people paying for everything.

Feck off the lot of you.

But sadly...... I have no one to speak for me and many like me.

It is just so depressing for us who struggle every day to not only pay our own way, but also to pay for others who can stay under the duvet.

Will certain parties wake up do you think? I doubt it.

If you don’t want to answer the door what about printing this post and sticking on your hall door ? They need to know how the country feels

Boy will I be telling them !

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I have a feeling this campaign the candidates will give most their airtime to bitchin bout the state we are in +less about their policys so we as voters will be none the wiser on who we are voting for, and will end up with a FF Gov +afew Inds supporting but nothing really will change

Ah stop she probably had to see the solicitors during the day for some claim or claims !
    Followed by trip to Vincent de Paul with poor mouth , and stop off for coffee with the girls to discuss what there losing out on !

She was a nightmare all the teachers where afraid of her. Apparently she went to that school too according to some older teachers.

Her kids all stayed up all night and ate only junk food. She said they were tired and couldn't concentrate because they didn't have time for breakfast. But she would say she found it hard to get them to bed before one in the morning.

This is first yr in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Did that SF lad do much out of interest?

No idea tbh. I've heard nothing good or bad about him really. I think there's a few in with a shot of the 4th seat. Probably come down to him, Buttimer and Greens (assuming the rise from the local elections continues). Not sure is Lynch running for Labour again, but he'd generally do well so might have a shot too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Yeah, they were looking like a viable “left” alternative for the disillusioned Labour voters but then they went and tried to be all inclusive and modern which was met with suspicion, and revulsion, by a large cohort of voters.

Correct. I quite like our local Soc Dem candidate, but there's still a bad taste lingering from the Kisyombe debacle.

bubblypop wrote: »
    But you are. Where do you think the money for children's benefit comes from? & it is paid for every child
    Yeah and i got it and you got it. Shrug.

I am not saying strip everything away from the communists.

I am not a far right wing person. There just has to be a line of where you say this is spoon feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Confidence and supply deal was for three budgets; it's only been dragged out this long because of Brexit. What incentive would there be for FF to prolong it any further?

Well to be fair not much will change next time around really, but I think there has to be an election at least every five years.

Otherwise we are in dictatorship territory :eek:

Nothing will change here. As long as the homeless are sorted (that has gone very quiet lately hasn't it?), Health service is grand apart from A+E and elective. Rest of it is brilliant and I know this.

Time for those who pay for everything to get a look in.

Ugh i will prob just vote leo. Who else is there that has an actual chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Christ, Coveney not even letting Miriam speak.

Prime time discussing now. Miriam opens with a dig at FG's "looking forward" slogan - is it because they don't want people looking back at their record?

Coveney doing the usual spin and a little nod to Howlin and labour (seems like they're already making overtures?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

titan18 wrote: »

I'm Cork South Central so out of the 4 seats, 3 are guaranteed anyway with Martin, McGrath and Coveney. I likely will vote McGrath first of those 3 and probably won't give a preference to the other two.

I cannot bring myself to vote for a candidate who has 7 kids - for me it suggests a very serious lack of self control! Imagine him being in charge of the national coffers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Coveney waffking out spin numbers. More money to the health service. That's not the bloody issue.

He has done a good job on Brexit but this election campaign will set him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Prime time discussing now. Miriam opens with a dig at FG's "looking forward" slogan - is it because they don't want people looking back at their record?

Coveney doing the usual spin and a little nod to Howlin and labour (seems like they're already making overtures?)

Her brother is Jim O’Callaghan- a senior FF td- she’s hardly going to be completely unbiased now is she?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Pierce is sitting back taking bit all in !

So it's looking like this is going to be an election of historical throwbacks and accusations.

Coveney is some arrogant tool trying to control the discussion and talking over everyone. And this is the guy that some people think would be better leading FG??

Coveney is absolutely unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

FG would be in a much healthier position if coveney was Taoiseach

A good man

C__MC wrote: »

A good man

Stick on RTE 1 there and say that again

C__MC wrote: »

A good man
    You must be having a laugh. Turn on RTE 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

SinnFein already playing off the same hym sheet from previous elections

Advertisement