Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

I wonder will Mad Dog McDowell run. He could upset both FF and FG in Dublin Bay South if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think we’re hitting for a hung Dail !
    There’s no clear runner or stand out party to make a good run at it !

Based on what ? I agree it's going to be a mess but not that bad that there isn't some outcome that we as a country get a functioning government with the numbers somewhere near the magic number of 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So who will you vote for. Genuine question.

For the first time in my life I may have to abstain. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Well one thing is for sure - a FG/FF manifesto isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So who will you vote for. Genuine question.

For the first time in my life I may have to abstain. Does anyone else feel the same way?
    I think you need to look at what's on offer locally and who you'd be OK with. It's been my approach for a good few elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Martin in an excellent campaigner, so was Kenny despite media blips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Back to the voting preferences. There is not much choice for those who pay for everyone including ourselves. No nothing for us.

Just pay more to keep the parasites laughing at their donors. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you vote FG you are essentially condoning the following;

Maria Bailey
    Dara Murphy
    Josepha Madigan
    Alan Farrell

And encouraging all future government TDs to gorge at the taxpayer financed trough.

None of those reflects FG policy. Bailey has been deselected for example. If you want to be properly outraged then put Lowry at the top of your list just like the people of Tipperary will.
    Can't go for FF on your example otherwise it's confining P. Flynn's struggle with 3 houses. Nor ST because of Ferris.

If people are voting for FG then it's because they condone how this country has turned around since 2010.

I don't know what stage in life you are but I've kids going into the workforce in a frw years time and I don't want to see them emigrate.

Those who pay for everything need a look in now. The time has come.

Abstaining is looking ok for me now since no one in the mix really cares about people like me.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think you need to look at what's on offer locally and who you'd be OK with. It's been my approach for a good few elections.

Yes OK, might try.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You're not watching RTE 1 then I take it.

He was woeful there.

You are correct, I do not watch TV.

Anyway, not wanting to be religious FG or anything, he did a superb job re Brexit, given who he was dealing with. Easy to denigrate his performance tonight but I bet he is just knackered. And is on the way for the General Election.

Some are just so ready to knock good performers down. Everyone has a bad day now and then.

Are you perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Those who pay for everything need a look in now. The time has come.

Like I said above, will only happen with a new party. Little political incentive for FF or FG really stand up for people like you under the current setup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's an Irish general election campaign for you!

It's pretty much all election campaigns everywhere. All part of the theatrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

saabsaab wrote: »
    Where are the manifestos? To make an impact with the electorate a party has to stop playing it safe and come up with a popular game changer!

Yes. I feel i have nobody to vote for. I would be left leaning but am disillusioned with labour and have no time for the other moaning left wing anti austerity or whatever candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mzungu wrote: »
    It's pretty much all election campaigns everywhere. All part of the theatrics.
    Yeah it is , but they do love the bravado. Long way to go yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

None of those reflects FG policy. Bailey has been deselected for example. If you want to be properly outraged then put Lowry at the top of your list just like the people of Tipperary will.
    Can't go for FF on your example otherwise it's confining P. Flynn's struggle with 3 houses. Nor ST because of Ferris.

If people are voting for FG then it's because they condone how this country has turned around since 2010.

I don't know what stage in life you are but I've kids going into the workforce in a frw years time and I don't want to see them emigrate.

Not a very good example I can tell you.

Leo did a sham report that exonerated everyone involved apparently, but when you follow they up by saying you can't show the report, you can.claim pretty much whatever the flock you want.

It was the local member's of DL FG branch that ultimately forced Leo's hand in case you forget. She was removed because they envisaged suffering at the polls due to her and Madigan (who gets overlooked far too readily on the issue) trying to pull a stroke.

Not for decency or ethical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Since 2010 we have record rents record homelessness numbers record amount of people waiting on trolleys ... fg all the way ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You are correct, I do not watch TV.

Anyway, not wanting to be religious FG or anything, he did a superb job re Brexit, given who he was dealing with. Easy to denigrate his performance tonight but I bet he is just knackered. And is on the way for the General Election.

Some are just so ready to knock good performers down. Everyone has a bad day now and then.

Are you perfect?

I think the influence that Ireland has had over Brexit is overstated, and bearing in mind Boris could throw a spanner in the works yet.

It's obvious that ideally or as close to a no border as possible is the best outcome for us. I can't see any of the parties suggesting or advocating otherwise.

The current Brexit position is such because it suits the EU, but don't think for a second that we wouldn't be thrown under the bus if circumstances changed.

In any case, the end result of Brexit will depend on the UK's next steps. Here at home, tonight, Coveney did neither himself or his party any favours IMO.

Like I said above, will only happen with a new party. Little political incentive for FF or FG really stand up for people like you under the current setup.

There will not be a new party anytime soon. Many have tried but no go.

Just wondered if everyone could name their TDs off the top of their head right now without looking it up.

Personally I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There will not be a new party anytime soon. Many have tried but no go.

Well not in time for this election anyway. Daunting challenge, but IMO it's the only way people like you will have your interests properly represented going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah the social parties wouldn't like you. Murphy be chasing u down.
    But I know where u are coming from

Ah ffs...
    What policy did the social parties or Murphy bring in?
    Let's stop blaming everyone else for FG and FF backed policies you don't like.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    But you are. Where do you think the money for children's benefit comes from? & it is paid for every child

And isn't it great? Beats wasting money on fake roaming expenses and people pretending to sign in to the Dail.
    If anyone thinks some get it who shouldn't or dont need it get on to welfare fraud cheats us all Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

C__MC wrote: »
    SinnFein already playing off the same hym sheet from previous elections

Was only thinking the same- when does the time come when their dimwit supporters actually say “well, when are you actually going to go into government and solve all these problems “? Clearly a long way away yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If people are voting FF or FG, own it. No point in trying to fool anyone you were made :)

Plenty of options. Take a gamble on an unknown rather than one of the two wonkey donkeys we usually get.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If people are voting FF or FG, own it. No point in trying to fool anyone you were made :)

Plenty of options. Take a gamble on an unknown rather than one of the two wonkey donkeys we usually get.

hqdefault.jpg

I am thinking of voting fg .....i will be honest about it if i do ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hqdefault.jpg

Well that’s the nub of it but in the opposite sense - there’s no way I’m going to take “a gamble” on the economy and therefore my job and livelihood for the very slim chance that the likes of SF et al will do anything better. And looking at their performance in opposition and at co council level it’s fairly safe to assume they won’t. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

road_high wrote: »
    Well that’s the nub of it but in the opposite sense - there’s no way I’m going to take “a gamble” on the economy and therefore my job and livelihood for the very slim chance that the likes of SF et al will do anything better. And looking at their performance in opposition and at co council level it’s fairly safe to assume they won’t. Sorry

Look at SF's performance in NI ! Totally self serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

There seems to be spokesmen for particular parties on here, more than casual supporters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Wow Verona Murphy is terrible on TV3.

Back to the voting preferences. There is not much choice for those who pay for everyone including ourselves. No nothing for us.

Just pay more to keep the parasites laughing at their donors. thank you.

Christ. I hope you don't find yourself made redundant when the next recession hits, or have to deal with a serious illness or disability that impacts your capacity to work.

The idea that there are vast swathes of scroungers and wasters really need to be challenged, the majority of people who go on the dole are there short term. But this kind of dog whistle rubbish is obviously an effective 'divide and conquer' tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Wow Verona Murphy is terrible on TV3.

Absolutely hopeless, certainly don’t want her anywhere near Dáil Éireann

Advertisement