Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

SF will forever have the cordite epithet.

Supporters are the same. They will never get the support of those who work hard. And there will always be that whiff of cordite around them. It is just below the surface always. Well to me it is anyway.

They will always have a core support, but it will not reflect most people.

Shoo.

Manager here working in finance and voting SF. I want to see another party in the mix as I don't see the current FFG roundabout working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

road_high wrote: »
    Indeed. Why gamble your future away unless you’re a welfare junky with nothing to lose.

I doubt there are many welfare junkies who even bother their arse to vote. Faint heart never won fair lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

smurgen wrote: »
    Manager here working in finance and voting SF. I want to see another party in the mix as I don't see the current FFG roundabout working.

That's great. Bet you will never tell your own Boss about your voting prefs. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

That's great. Bet you will never tell your own Boss about your voting prefs. LOL.

Why? He should be ashamed for voting sf? Well I would be ashamed of voting ff or fg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Same, I'm in a similar boat working in Finance and consulting also. I'd be classed as a higher earner by any metrics but cannot stand the absolute trainwreck that the two Civil War parties consistently bring.

However they have left society in some declining state this time around in my opinion. When you spell out all the issues, I think it's perfectly reasonable to vote outside the big 2.

• Advertisement

I did today over lunch.he's french and always trying to figure out the Irish political landscape. Fg need to learn to not be so dismissive of SF or any other parties because they're quite simply not good enough at what they do to warrant such arrogance.
    And regarding your lol to be quiet honest with you after Maria Bailey fraud gate and the black and tan celebration proposal I'd be more keeping my fg preferences on the hush hush if I was that way inclined.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Why? He should be ashamed for voting sf? Well I would be ashamed of voting ff or fg.

Ah but did you tell your boss that. Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is your life not comfortable, you'd rather take a bet on the unknown.
    SF will definitely not put more money in your pocket.

I did today over lunch.he's french and always trying to figure out the Irish political landscape. Fg need to learn to not be so dismissive of SF or any other parties because they're quite simply not good enough at what they do to warrant such arrogance.
    And regarding your lol to be quiet honest with you after Maria Bailey fraud gate and the black and tan celebration proposal I'd be more keeping my fg preferences on the hush hush if I was that way inclined.

Who really cares apart from us political anoraks.

Les Francais have their own problems. But not my problem either. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What exactly will SF do?
    They couldn't even manage to stay governing in NI for three years over an Irish language act.
    During the financial crisis they wanted to give two fingers to the ECB about the bondholders when we needed the ECB support. Remember how well that worked out for the Greeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Does it really matter who's voted in? Not one of them are in it for anything other than fattening their pockets some more.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Does it really matter who's voted in? Not one of them are in it for anything other than fattening their pockets some more.

Abstain so and let the rest of us adults vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What exactly will SF do?
    They couldn't even manage to stay governing in NI for three years over an Irish language act.
    During the financial crisis they wanted to give two fingers to the ECB about the bondholders when we needed the ECB support. Remember how well that worked out for the Greeks.

Not just over an Irish language act now, was it?

Try to keep it half truthful or some might just start to scroll past your posts as "inaccurate" in the spirit of being civil.

Abstain so and let the rest of us adults vote.

The right to abstain is as valuable as the right to vote.

If Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini were on the ballot paper, some clowns would still put an x beside one because they felt it their 'duty' to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

2020Vision wrote: »
    But Sinn Fein will abolish your Property Tax! And Eoin O'Broin will solve the homelessness problem - possibly by buying surplus tents from Libya.

And, with Pearse "the Magician" Doherty at the helm, they'll coerce the insurance companies to slash motor insurance rates!

And Louise O'Reilly will solve the HSE problems by magically recruiting thousands of nurses from God knows where.

Not forgetting that Mary Lou will insist on a Border Poll which, I'm reliably informed, will reunite the country within five years.

With visionary and thoroughly credible policies like that, only a fool would refuse to vote for Sinn Féin!

I like the cut of your jib! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

road_high wrote: »
    Well that’s the nub of it but in the opposite sense - there’s no way I’m going to take “a gamble” on the economy and therefore my job and livelihood for the very slim chance that the likes of SF et al will do anything better. And looking at their performance in opposition and at co council level it’s fairly safe to assume they won’t. Sorry

Yet we know FF will likely do it if FG don't do it first. We cannot continue as is it's getting ridiculous. With records like theres I see it as a gamble going elsewhere but a loss for sure to stick with the civil war chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ask yourself this, can it get any worse than it has been? The other 2 have proven they are not fit for purpose so why not give SF a crack at it? If they get it and fail then they are no better then we will know but as it stands they are the best of a bad bunch.

100% it can. Just look around the world, at has been states, like Argentina and Venzeulla. Look at BoJo and Corbyn across the waters. Two idiots. Look at Trump....

Yes, it can get worse. Just think back 10 years to the last FF government under Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

McMurphy wrote: »
    Not just over an Irish language act now, was it?

Try to keep it half truthful or some might just start to scroll past your posts as "inaccurate" in the spirit of being civil.

They were given a hard time for not letting Foster off the hook, then when they dropped that they got stick for compromising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Weirdly there is no mention of climate change so far. I doubt it will be a big issue in this election. Perhaps worryingly so.

You mean climate taxes?

Noone has a coherent solution that isn't more taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Those who pay for everything need a look in now. The time has come.

Abstaining is looking ok for me now since no one in the mix really cares about people like me.

Well FG have promised that before the last two elections.. haven't seen much for it other than a derisory couple of quid a week while everything around us gets more expensive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well FG have promised that before the last two elections.. haven't seen much for it other than a derisory couple of quid a week while everything around us gets more expensive..

They will argue that being in confidence and supply and being in a tenous position from the start prevented this happening.

So either they are liars or abandoned their base to stay in power by any means necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'll be voting FG with SD second preference.

I won't vote FF again after most of their last cabinet ran for the hills when the **** hit the fan. I think Meehole would be a decent enough taoiseach but I fear that the old guard would come crawling out of the woodwork at the slightest sniff of power.

I'd be fearful of voting SF, greens and PBP etc. and the impact not only on my family's pocket but the wider economy.

Am I inspired by anyone in this election? Sadly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

They will argue that being in confidence and supply and being in a tenous position from the start prevented this happening.

So either they are liars or abandoned their base to stay in power by any means necessary

A political party lie ? Put their own interests ahead of the country ? Never ..

Incidentally I see election posters have been put up overnight, this arcane uniquely irish practice in this day and age really has to stop. I was in Italy for the European elections last year and there wasnt a single poster to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    However they have left society in some declining state this time around in my opinion. When you spell out all the issues, I think it's perfectly reasonable to vote outside the big 2.
    If you think Irish society has declined overall in the last 9 years then you must be either incredibly unfortunate or living in a privileged bubble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Manager here working in finance and voting SF. I want to see another party in the mix as I don't see the current FFG roundabout working

Managing what ! counting the change left in the till!
    If I was the owner I’d fire u , but I guess Ud have me for unfair dismissal !
    Guess what I’d still fire u !

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

mojesius wrote: »
    I'll be voting FG with SD second preference.

I won't vote FF again after most of their last cabinet ran for the hills when the **** hit the fan. I think Meehole would be a decent enough taoiseach but I fear that the old guard would come crawling out of the woodwork at the slightest sniff of power.

I'd be fearful of voting SF, greens and PBP etc. and the impact not only on my family's pocket but the wider economy.

Am I inspired by anyone in this election? Sadly not.

FG ? Why ? Purely for the way the mismanaged the Cervical screening scandal which has seen the deaths of many women they should be put out of office.

What about FG's appalling record on housing / the homeless whose numbers have exploded since they have been in power ?

What about FG's criminal decision to persist with the worlds most expensive hospital on the site of James Hospital?

The only reason people will stick with FG is because FG have been lucky enough to have ridden the crest of the burgeoning economic wave that the world has enjoyed since 2011. FG have nothing whatsoever to do with this economic growth, they are purely holding a seat of office.

Is your life not comfortable, you'd rather take a bet on the unknown.
    SF will definitely not put more money in your pocket.

Fg will not put more money in your pocket. In the last 9 years I put more money in my pocket,not FG. As a party they seen totally inept when dealing with delivering any large scale projects. They have no interest in getting the tax payers value for money. Their handling of public procurement would see them fired in the private sector.

Who really cares apart from us political anoraks.

Les Francais have their own problems. But not my problem either. Get a grip

Try not to post when you have a few sherries onboard.this kinda banter might wash with Sean O'Rourke but not with me Maria :)

reg114 wrote: »
    FG ? Why ? Purely for the way the mismanaged the Cervical screening scandal which has seen the deaths of many women they should be put out of office.

What about FG's appalling record on housing / the homeless whose numbers have exploded since they have been in power ?

What about FG's criminal decision to persist with the worlds most expensive hospital on the site of James Hospital?

The only reason people will stick with FG is because FG have been lucky enough to have ridden the crest of the burgeoning economic wave that the world has enjoyed since 2011. FG have nothing whatsoever to do with this economic growth, they are purely holding a seat of office.

This is it in a nutshell. They've done nothing to foster growth.if anything their housing policy has now hampered growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

In the grand scheme of things the country is very healthy & ticking along very nicely thank you, so why fix it (when it's not seriously broken)?

Keep the FG government we have, hopefully with a proper majority this time. Fianna Fail to do well, Labour to step back into double figures, SF will hopefully stall & stagnate, and the rest can do what they want :)

Advertisement