Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

reg114 wrote: »
    FG ? Why ? Purely for the way the mismanaged the Cervical screening scandal which has seen the deaths of many women they should be put out of office.

What about FG's appalling record on housing / the homeless whose numbers have exploded since they have been in power ?

What about FG's criminal decision to persist with the worlds most expensive hospital on the site of James Hospital?

The only reason people will stick with FG is because FG have been lucky enough to have ridden the crest of the burgeoning economic wave that the world has enjoyed since 2011. FG have nothing whatsoever to do with this economic growth, they are purely holding a seat of office.

If you'd only prefaced this with I'm not/never voting FG because ...
    Not everyone sees the world through our eyes! You do know barracking people about their voting choices is unlikely to make them change?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In the grand scheme of things the country is very healthy & ticking along very nicely thank you, so why fix it (when it's not seriously broken)?

Keep the FG government we have, hopefully with a proper majority this time. Fianna Fail to do well, Labour to step back into double figures, SF will hopefully stall & stagnate, and the rest can do what they want :)

FG have rather little to do with the general state of the economy.. Ireland does well when the world economy does well. Simply because we are such an open economy.

The things FG are directly responsible for are a bit of a mess or not existent

Irish Water
    The HSE
    Infrastructure investment
    The insurance market
    Homelessness and social housing
    Rising costs of living

And that's before we get to the black and tans, TDs conspiring to make dubious insurance claims and lads getting found out for over claiming Dail expenses..

They're not amazing like

lawred2 wrote: »
    FG have rather little to do with the general state of the economy.. Ireland does well when the world economy does well. Simply because we are such an open economy.

Irish Water
    The HSE
    The insurance market
    Rising costs of living

And that's before we get to the black and tans, TDs conspiring to make dubious insurance claims and lads getting found out for over claiming Dail expenses..

They're not amazing like
    These are the things you know about and political anoraks obsess about. Of that list housing is about the only one that jumps out for an average voter, possibly insurance too. The expenses thing is all TDs not just FG and the commemoration a flurry of media-driven outrage for a week in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

is_that_so wrote: »
    If you'd only prefaced this with I'm not/never voting FG because ...
    Not everyone sees the world through our eyes! You do know barracking people about their voting choices is unlikely to make them change?

Barracking ? Thats miscontruing what what posts purpose is. I'm flabbergasted that people are thinking FG are a legitimate option given the complete mess they have made of the country during prosperous times. Can you imagine the homeless figures under FG when there is an inevitable recession ? I think people are ignoring the points Im making because 'its doesnt affect me', or so they think.

Barracking ? Thats miscontruing what what posts purpose is. I'm flabbergasted that people are thinking FG are a legitimate option given the complete mess they have made of the country during prosperous times. Can you imagine the homeless figures under FG when there is an inevitable recession ? I think people are ignoring the points Im making because 'its doesnt affect me', or so they think.
    Then just be flabbergasted, it's their choice. I don't get why people vote Independent but I would never tell them not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's the main reason why people will vote FG.

And I know some people will try to argue the FG have nothing to do with the improvement in the economy (but everything to do with stuff that's not going well in it), but I think that's mainly a tactic by people who would never consider FG anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Irish Water
    The HSE
    The insurance market
    Rising costs of living

They're not amazing like

Yet if the economy was in the toilet FG would be first in the firing line. Funny how some take their economic status for granted to such a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Because other parties don't have enough candidates to form a government

That's the worst reason not to vote outside FF or FG I've ever heard.

I take it you don't understand the role of the opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Anyone who thinks that by voting in a whole new government the problems in this country will just disappear overnight is seriously deluding themselves.

The problems in the health system, the homeless crisis, these existed long before Fine Gael ever came to power. In fact we can probably thank their predecessors for them.

And they bigger than any one person to solve.

No party is going to be able to wave a magic wand and make these issues disappear. They are a lot more complicated that people seem to want to admit.

Vote for whoever you want but please at least try a bit of logical thinking while you’re at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

spurshero wrote: »
    Since 2010 we have record rents record homelessness numbers record amount of people waiting on trolleys ... fg all the way ffs

Odd that you omitted record employment from the above catalogue!

But presumably someone as intelligent as you would always be employed, irrespective of the state of the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone who thinks that by voting in a whole new government the problems in this country will just disappear overnight is seriously deluding themselves.

The problems in the health system, the homeless crisis, these existed long before Fine Gael ever came to power. In fact we can probably thank their predecessors for them.

And they bigger than any one person to solve.

No party is going to be able to wave a magic wand and make these issues disappear. They are a lot more complicated that people seem to want to admit.

Vote for whoever you but please at least try a bit of logical thinking while you’re at it.

Bang on.

We will listen to politicians now for 3 weeks telling us if we elect them they will fix the health service and sort out the housing crisis, when they know full well they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

2020Vision wrote: »
    Odd that you omitted record employment from the above catalogue!

But presumably someone as intelligent as you would always be employed, irrespective of the state of the economy.

Record employment as a result of being a very open economy heavily dependent on FDI and exports and a direct consequence of the global economy doing better in the last few years. I and others have said this several times.

FG do like to fudge/pad the numbers with CE schemes and the like though, so who really knows.

Either way, they've done their very best to hamper the recovery through their performance on housing, transport, costs of living etc - something called out several times by the CEO's of the bigger employers here.

Keep the recovery going they said - guess that's about as accurate as looking after the people who get up early in the morning.

Why anyone would vote for more of the same from FG after the last few years especially (when despite the recovering economy they've managed to make core services and issues worse) is beyond me.

road_high wrote: »
    Yet if the economy was in the toilet FG would be first in the firing line. Funny how some take their economic status for granted to such a degree

It's a fact though. The direction (positive) Ireland has taken over the last forty years means that we rise and fall with the world economy. Because we are one of the world's most open economies. Which is great. But it's not at FG's behest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Irish Water
    The HSE
    The insurance market
    Rising costs of living

They're not amazing like

In other words, the good things about Ireland at the moment, things like employment figures, the economy, the budget surplus, Brexit somewhat resolved is nothing to do with FG...

But all the bad things in the country, they are solely to blame for...

This is why politics in this country is so depressing, of this uninformed populist diatribe passing for commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Record employment as a result of being a very open economy heavily dependent on FDI and exports and a direct consequence of the global economy doing better in the last few years. I and others have said this several times.

Funny that this is mentioned a few times.

People do remember the time when the likes of Syriza and SF were singing of the same hymn sheet?
    Advocating nationalist approaches to the economy and the euro and of course taxing the corporations more. Very Trump like.

Funny that SF supporters remain very quiet about that 'Alliance'

It's a fact though. The direction (positive) Ireland has taken over the last forty years means that we rise and fall with the world economy. Because we are one of the world's most open economies. Which is great. But it's not at FG's behest.

Ok. We could have Brid Smyth running the show and it still would be grand. Ok

Nobody bar myself and my wife are paying our bills. It doesn't mean we are stupid enough to keep the current mob in power.

The rent free living didn't go to plan for you so despite your hopes that it would.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105105132&postcount=1

markodaly wrote: »

People do remember the time when the likes of Syriza and SF were singing of the same hymn sheet?
    Advocating nationalist approaches to the economy and the euro and of course taxing the corporations more. Very Trump like.

More disturbingly it was Pearce Doherty, their alleged financial “expert” that was the chief Syriza style cheerleader. If you want a taster of how Ireland would be economically take a look at Greece during that period- the exact same policies SF were advocating. A Greek work colleague was telling its still pretty bad down there too

road_high wrote: »
    Ok. We could have Brid Smyth running the show and it still would be grand. Ok

lol

Yeah.. that's the key takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

markodaly wrote: »

Wut? Of all the whataboutery posts I've read on this site, that one has to be among the most bizzare

Typical FGer statement though - if you're not with us you must be a Shinner. :rolleyes:

I'd be neither, by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I see some posters conflating the housing crisis with the situation of homeless accommodation, and then making homelessness an election issue. There is no homeless crisis, but there is a major issue with the availability of affordable homes in this country. The so-called homeless crisis is a situation of over 10,000 people in temporary housing until they receive a tax-payer funded permanent home. Without a doubt, there are some on that list who are deserving of help, but this homeless situation will forever be an issue when you have people and families from outside the EU flying into Dublin and declaring themselves homeless. That, and the contrived manner that some of the residents of the State making themselves "homeless" in order to get a forever home.

On the other hand, the people who get up for work in the morning or who contribute to society in other ways are deserving of affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

saabsaab wrote: »
    Where are the manifestos? To make an impact with the electorate a party has to stop playing it safe and come up with a popular game changer!

That would involve change and effort. Won’t happen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

In the grand scheme of things the country is very healthy & ticking along very nicely thank you, so why fix it (when it's not seriously broken)?

Keep the FG government we have, hopefully with a proper majority this time. Fianna Fail to do well, Labour to step back into double figures, SF will hopefully stall & stagnate, and the rest can do what they want :)
    I too have a house with an affordable mortgage and health insurance for my family. For other people it's broken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kivaro wrote: »
    I see some posters conflating the housing crisis with the situation of homeless accommodation, and then making homelessness an election issue. There is no homeless crisis, but there is a major issue with the availability of affordable homes in this country. The so-called homeless crisis is a situation of over 10,000 people in temporary housing until they receive a tax-payer funded permanent home. Without a doubt, there are some on that list who are deserving of help, but this homeless situation will forever be an issue when you have people and families from outside the EU flying into Dublin and declaring themselves homeless. That, and the contrived manner that some of the residents of the State making themselves "homeless" in order to get a forever home.

On the other hand, the people who get up for work in the morning or who contribute to society in other ways are deserving of affordable housing.

Posted hours after a homeless man found dead in Dublin. "No homeless crisis"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Kivaro wrote: »

What is an affordable house?
    Building costs are so huge now, especially in or near Dublin.
    Come out to the country and it decreases dramatically.
    I know we have a big global warming issue too, but the building costs because of heating and insulating regulations has skyrocketed because of it.

pjohnson wrote: »

Posted with no background nor facts, simply to illustrate a personal belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pjohnson wrote: »
    There is no homeless crisis.
    There is no housing crisis.

There is a cohort of people living on the street, despite beds being available in hostels, due to addiction issues.

There is also a "crisis" of not getting a free forever home next to mummy.

Neither of these are, or should be, the responsibility of any government

Calhoun wrote: »
    Not allot of choice out there, FG and FF their records speak for themselves, SF the spectre of the past is still following them around too much bullying and pretense of democracy, the rest of the left don't have a coherent message.

Knowing that we probably wont see much change no matter who we have in it's a case of voting for who can do the least damage.
    Agreed. Which would be fg, if we vote Ff in as senior party. Can anyone stick another bust here ? And if it’s one we partially brought on ourselves? It disgusts me, but I’ll probably vote Fg. , if you abstain from voting. It’s a vote for the left here , which is the entire political spectrum. We are done here , until a competent new party forms , that will look after the taxpayer. They won’t have any competition anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ELM327 wrote: »
    There is no homeless crisis.
    There is no housing crisis.

There is a cohort of people living on the street, despite beds being available in hostels, due to addiction issues.

There is also a "crisis" of not getting a free forever home next to mummy.

Neither of these are, or should be, the responsibility of any government

So anonymous poster on Boards claim there is no housing crisis yet government and other state agencies accepts there is.

• Advertisement

4.8% but still you will hear about all the people on the dole. :rolleyes:

Yeah 4.8% with all of the rackets they use to keep the numbers artificially low.

Advertisement