Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So anonymous poster on Boards claim there is no housing crisis yet government and other state agencies accepts there is.

Also called spot the diehard FG voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

pjohnson wrote: »
    Also called spot the diehard FG voters.

The thing is though , no government here would say boo to a goose. There is a housing issue , the issue is a huge amount won’t get off their ass as the taxpayer will provide jacinta and her “ angles “ with a house. It’s the working people screwed by the housing crisis I care about. Couldn’t be bothered listening about the homeless crisis anymore.

You can’t and won’t ever solve the homelessness! The problem here is people just watch rte and reckon their pathetic analysis is spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So anonymous poster on Boards claim there is no housing crisis yet government and other state agencies accepts there is.
    Yeah like the anonymous poster above who used one example to prove there was. Welcome to the interweb,where no-one knows your name or state of mind! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah like the anonymous poster above who used one example to prove there was. Welcome to the interweb,where no-one knows your name or state of mind! :D

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/world/europe/housing-crisis-ireland.html

Even outside of Ireland it is being recognised. Btw the emoji, are you a ten year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anonymous poster disagrees with other anonymous poster and states vague anonymous claim.

This is a discussion forum. Were you expecting something else? A facsimile from the prussian consulate in siam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ELM327 wrote: »
    There is no homeless crisis.
    There is no housing crisis.

There is a cohort of people living on the street, despite beds being available in hostels, due to addiction issues.

There is also a "crisis" of not getting a free forever home next to mummy.

Neither of these are, or should be, the responsibility of any government

Perhaps I'm confusing you with another poster, but you previously dismissed Leo's claims that FF left the country bankrupt, and now you're dismissing his govts claim (and funds set aside) that there's a housing crisis.

Leo and FG are liars is essentially what you're saying, have I got you - yeah?

Anonymous poster disagrees with other anonymous poster and states vague anonymous claim.

This is a discussion forum. Were you expecting something else? A facsimile from the prussian consulate in siam?

Problem for you though is you are making a claim that is contrary even to what the government accepts. The party you support also accepts there is a housing and homeless crisis.
    Just pointing out the absurdity of your claim, no more no less.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm confusing you with another poster, but you previously dismissed Leo's claims that FF left the country bankrupt, and now you're dismissing his govts claim (and funds set aside) that there's a housing crisis.

Leo and FG are liars is essentially what you're saying, have I got you - yeah?

You are absolutely confusing me with another poster.
    FF left the country in a terrible state, on the verge of bankruptcy until the IMF were sent in, and it took 3 years of FG governance and fiscal control to right the mess.

Problem for you though is you are making a claim that is contrary even to what the government accepts. The party you support also accepts there is a housing and homeless crisis.

I'm not the only one with this viewpoint.
    There's been a lot of posturing from all political parties as theyve been in election mode for ages.

There may be a crisis in a lack of affordable houses in Dublin but this is neither a housing or homeless crisis.

The FG acolytes are now disagreeing with FG to try to make FG seem competent. Its Varadkar-esque PR.

• Advertisement

FF left the country in a terrible state, on the verge of bankruptcy until the IMF were sent in, and it took 3 years of FG governance and fiscal control to right the mess.

It's widely accepted that 2 thirds of the necessary adjustments were made before FF left office ( I know arsonist helping put out the fire). All FG had to do was follow the agreement made between the FF/Green government and the Troika.

Unfortunately politics is a game of playing to the crowd to a large extent.
    Neither Leo or MM will say that there is no homeless crisis, they know well that the housing list is full of wasters who spend their dole on cans and betting dockets etc as well as genuine cases. It's practically impossible to help all the genuine cases as the wasters are gaming the system. The likes of Margaret Cash are actually deemed to be a non waster and deserving of a forever home at the states expense (largely) despite having seemingly fookloads of disposable income.

It's an unsolvable problem, if the entire current crop of homeless folk were housed in forever homes tomorrow there'd be thousands more on a new list on Friday.

There are more houses being built and the expectation is that will continue, that will alleviate the situation, but it will never be solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I love general elections !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ahem.
    That's interesting, our country was not bankrupted. We are now one of the better performing economies in Europe - where IT/DE etc are teetering on the brink of recession.

Augeo wrote: »
    Unfortunately politics is a game of playing to the crowd to a large extent.
    Neither Leo or MM will say that there is no homeless crisis, they know well that the housing list is full of wasters who spend their dole on cans and betting dockets etc as well as genuine cases. It's practically impossible to help all the genuine cases as the wasters are gaming the system. The likes of Margaret Cash are actually deemed to be a non waster and deserving of a forever home at the states expense (largely) despite having seemingly fookloads of disposable income.

It's an unsolvable problem, if the entire current crop of homeless folk were housed in forever homes tomorrow there'd be thousands more on a new list on Friday.

Lazy generalisation tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

My voting plans have firmed up after listening to the farmers' rep on Morning Ireland. The witless beef farmers are attacking the innocent workers of Dublin City later today in a lame attempt to get us to force Larry Goodman & Co. to pay them more for their dead cattle. Why us? Because they haven't got the balls to take on Goodman directly so are treating Dubliners as hostages.

In short, they've started a Rural Ireland V Dublin war, so, on the basis that my enemy's enemy is my friend, I'm voting Green - purely because a strong Green Party is the last thing that Beef farmers want to see after the votes are counted.

Resist the beef farming bullies - vote Green!

It's widely accepted that 2 thirds of the necessary adjustments were made before FF left office ( I know arsonist helping put out the fire). All FG had to do was follow the agreement made between the FF/Green government and the Troika.

The one that included water charges? And there was I thinking that people were blaming FG for that! So it was FF's fault!

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ahem.
    On the verge of bankruptcy and bankrupted are two different things.
    We never went bankrupt due to the intervention of the IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/world/europe/housing-crisis-ireland.html

Even outside of Ireland it is being recognised. Btw the emoji, are you a ten year old?
    Nobody suggested there are no issues but said poster used it as a one-liner to prove a point firmly lodged within their own belief structure and obvious evidence of what they believe. It's actually DCC and the 150+ housing advocacy groups that have the remit to look after it and it's a very complicated area.

Water charges were only a problem as those on the scratch were expected to pay. If there was a clause that does on SW did not have to pay for their usage unless it was excessive there would have been no problem.

Working folk know that we have to pay a certain % of our income in various taxes, the % changes as the economic and political climate changes but it is what it is.

FG made the mistake of forgetting that those who don't contribute really, really don't contribute, at all. They should have just put in the clause and not increased the dole next time around to compensate, win win.

• Advertisement

Water charges were only a problem as those on the scratch were expected to pay. If there was a clause that does on SW did not have to pay for their usage unless it was excessive there would have been no problem.

Working folk know that we have to pay a certain % of our income in various taxes, the % changes as the economic and political climate changes but it is what it is.

FG made the mistake of forgetting that those who don't contribute really, really don't contribute, at all. They should have just put in the clause and not increased the dole next time around to compensate, win win.

The reason I would be in favour of water charges is that everyone has to pay
    This notion that people have to be taken out of the tax net is a fallacy inherited from Bertie's FF

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Record employment as a result of being a very open economy heavily dependent on FDI and exports and a direct consequence of the global economy doing better in the last few years. I and others have said this several times.

Regardless of the accompanying blather, decent of you to concede that it's true!
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »

Why anyone would vote for more of the same from FG after the last few years especially (when despite the recovering economy they've managed to make core services and issues worse) is beyond me.

One possible reason might be because thoughtful people have examined the alternatives and have concluded that none of them are likely to offer anything better.

Although you, having presumably carefully examined the entrails of a dead goldfish, have a different view; which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Lazy generalisation tbh.
    Whilst it's not the majority,it seems to me to be an unpoliced large chunk
    One of the pubs in my local area is packed on dole day,pints ordered whilst half the clientele go to the betting shop and a lot of them bet on their smartphones minding the pints
    This is in the middle of the day
    I happened to go in there to collect a parcel and witnessed this but it's well known
    Only in Ireland, the land of the hand out
    I pity the families tbh

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nobody suggested there are no issues but said poster used it as a one-liner to prove a point firmly lodged within their own belief structure and obvious evidence of what they believe. It's actually DCC and the 150+ housing advocacy groups that have the remit to look after it and it's a very complicated area.

I posted it because the basic fact is a homeless person died.

I dont know what belief nonsense you are on about but sticking with facts.

Someone claimed as a FACT there is no homeless crisis after the FACT that a homeless person died.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Whilst it's not the majority,it seems to me to be an unpoliced large chunk
    One of the pubs in my local area is packed on dole day,pints ordered whilst half the clientele go to the betting shop and a lot of them bet on their smartphones minding the pints
    This is in the middle of the day
    I happened to go in there to collect a parcel and witnessed this but it's well known
    Only in Ireland, the land of the hand out
    I pity the families tbh

I love these stories, have you any more? I bet you saw a lad with two pints in his hands aswell.

Someone claimed as a FACT there is no homeless crisis after the FACT that a homeless person died.
    No one but you is using that word.

One person dying does not a crisis make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I love these stories, have you any more? I bet you saw a lad with two pints in his hands aswell.

The Nile is a river in Egypt

So what you're actually saying there is that the homeless suffer from mortality, just like we homed folk do? Are you shocked by this?

2020Vision wrote: »
    So what you're actually saying there is that the homeless suffer from mortality, just like we homed folk do? Are you shocked by this?
    It might even be worse, due to inclement weather and many addiction issues and/or mental health issues they suffer.

• Advertisement

Yet FG did a volte face when they saw many of their own voters march. Over 600,000 households refused to engage with IW all on the scratch? Anyway FG lost that one so I have no interest in revisionist nonsense .

Advertisement