Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Augeo wrote: »
    Unfortunately politics is a game of playing to the crowd to a large extent.
    Neither Leo or MM will say that there is no homeless crisis, they know well that the housing list is full of wasters who spend their dole on cans and betting dockets etc as well as genuine cases. It's practically impossible to help all the genuine cases as the wasters are gaming the system. The likes of Margaret Cash are actually deemed to be a non waster and deserving of a forever home at the states expense (largely) despite having seemingly fookloads of disposable income.

It's an unsolvable problem, if the entire current crop of homeless folk were housed in forever homes tomorrow there'd be thousands more on a new list on Friday.

There are more houses being built and the expectation is that will continue, that will alleviate the situation, but it will never be solved.

Yeah. You create free accommodation for some and rip off for others. Like you say , it’s going be a never ending list. Because the system is madness. They are on a hiding to nothing. They’d be better off coming out and telling the truth , Murphy , varadkar etc. they will only offend , those who would never vote for them anyway. But they are happy to have fg voters predominantly pay for the welfare wonderland...

Augeo wrote: »
    Water charges were only a problem as those on the scratch were expected to pay. If there was a clause that does on SW did not have to pay for their usage unless it was excessive there would have been no problem.

Working folk know that we have to pay a certain % of our income in various taxes, the % changes as the economic and political climate changes but it is what it is.

FG made the mistake of forgetting that those who don't contribute really, really don't contribute, at all. They should have just put in the clause and not increased the dole next time around to compensate, win win.

I could have written this comment myself a few years back ! Yeah say the dole isn’t being raised , to compensate, five a week x 52 = 260. Thanks lads ! Better water charges were scrapped , saves those already paying for everything, paying even more. There’d have been exemptions for likely fifty percent plus of the population, deemed “ “ vulneable” they didn’t even have the money in an election year , to buy them off the last budget. As so much money is being swallowed by health , nch, nbp etc. lol! Lol! Long may it last !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

McMurphy wrote: »
    Watching the tonight show, and while I'm no fan of FG by any means, Paschal Donohoe is an excellent representative.

He's head and shoulders above the rest of the panel, but in fairness the others are Dennis Naughten, Dara Calleary and Verona Murphy.

Nuff said.

That would be Pascal who stated on the same show that illegal immigrants with no papers, who we have no idea where they are coming from, are not a security risk?? :confused::confused: Why TF do countries have passports and visas then??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ELM327 wrote: »
    No one but you is using that word.

One person dying does not a crisis make.

By god how sheltered a life do FG voters lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pjohnson wrote: »
    I posted it because the basic fact is a homeless person died.

I dont know what belief nonsense you are on about but sticking with facts.

Someone claimed as a FACT there is no homeless crisis after the FACT that a homeless person died.
    Ah it looks like you're using the original definition of homeless, one which I agree with rather than the all-encompassing version that's now standard, It's councils and homeless groups who deal with all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Agreed. Which would be fg, if we vote Ff in as senior party. Can anyone stick another bust here ? And if it’s one we partially brought on ourselves? It disgusts me, but I’ll probably vote Fg. , if you abstain from voting. It’s a vote for the left here , which is the entire political spectrum. We are done here , until a competent new party forms , that will look after the taxpayer. They won’t have any competition anyway !

I thought Renua were supposed to be in that category when they were founded in 2015. Things didn`t turn out too well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well considering it was fake news that he died, how sheltered are you still going on about a 'dead' man??

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

The homeless 'crisis' is a sham. A storm whipped up by the media and housing charities hell bent on keeping their staff securely employed. Do we have homeless people? Of course we do and we always will but the issues are nothing like those that are being portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I thought Renua were supposed to be in that category when they were founded in 2015. Things didn`t turn out too well for them.
    That was more to their archaic views on women's rights though.
    They had some good policies, 3 strikes you're out, flat tax rate for all.

Well considering it was fake news that he died, how sheltered are you still going on about a 'dead' man??

Never attribute to ignorance that which can be attributed to nefariousness

The reason I would be in favour of water charges is that everyone has to pay
    This notion that people have to be taken out of the tax net is a fallacy inherited from Bertie's FF

I initially supported water charges. There would have been endless exemptions and the people paying , would be paying a third time , for themselves, for the exempt and all the income tax etc they pay.

• Advertisement

The homeless 'crisis' is a sham. A storm whipped up by the media and housing charities hell bent on keeping their staff securely employed. Do we have homeless people? Of course we do and we always will but the issues are nothing like those that are being portrayed.
    Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Does anyone have any idea if people who applied to go on the Draft Register have to reapply now to join the Supplement ?

I initially supported water charges. There would have been endless exemptions and the people paying , would be paying a third time , for themselves, for the exempt and all the income tax etc they pay.
    Indeed. This is the problem.
    The super rich and the neuveau riche on the lifetime gravy train from SW, never have to worry about funding anything.
    It's those of us silly enough to be middle class and have gainful employment that are targeted with these measures. Like the water charge for a third time as you state.

Nowhere near as much as a sheltered life as those being given their shelter and god knows what else for free. Guaranteed income. No job etc.

Nowhere near as much as a sheltered life as those being given their shelter and god knows what ease for free. Guaranteed income. No job etc.
    love it. Genuinely laughed at this riposte. Well played sir.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea if people who applied to go on the Draft Register have to reapply now to join the Supplement ?

Check to see if you are listed on the Electoral register - If not , you need to get on the supplemental register by the end of the month

**EDIT**

I just checked myself and got a bit of a fright for a second..

I initially searched using my eircode, but it didn't find me - Showed my teenage son but not me or my wife.

Searched again using the "townland" option and we showed up there.

Looks like people who registered before the introduction of Eircodes can't be found that way - They haven't modified the records to include the eircode if you didn't provide it at the time you registered.

Attached themselves to a single issue that was ever going to go one way. Bang there goes a party that could have effected change on serious issue. Gone over one that was highly decisive and always likely to pass. A horrendous waste and shame. There is the biggest open goal now , with that out of the way. I can see it now on rte before the referendum, any new party that started. The only question they would have for them , would be their stance on abortion. Try destroy them before they get off the ground. The irony coming from the failed institution of rte is laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

GNWoodd wrote: »

Yes,you need to re apply for the supllimentary register because the draft doesn't become the full register until 15th of February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The housing crisis also includes the inflation of rent costs and house prices in my eyes. Also the direct provision contracts awarded to the HSE to hoteliers close to fg could do with scrutiny. Fine Gael don't understand fiscal prudence at all. If they're this bad during a boom I shudder to think what they'll be like if the global economy tightens their budgets for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Check to see if you are listed on the Electoral register - If not , you need to get on the supplemental register by the end of the month

**EDIT**

I just checked myself and got a bit of a fright for a second..

I initially searched using my eircode, but it didn't find me - Showed my teenage son but not me or my wife.

Searched again using the "townland" option and we showed up there.

Looks like people who registered before the introduction of Eircodes can't be found that way - They haven't modified the records to include the eircode if you didn't provide it at the time you registered.

It's not working at the moment.

Tried it with your link, and then tried again from google and it was offline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So sheltered that they are the ones that go out, work and pay for eveything in this country.
    I was wishy washy on voting FG Before the campaign got underway but I’m galvanised to vote FG when its clearer what’s on offer elsewhere- more of the same whining and a nice life paid for by other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

smurgen wrote: »
    The housing crisis also includes the inflation of rent costs and house prices in my eyes. Also the direct provision contracts awarded to the HSE to hoteliers close to fg could do with scrutiny. Fine Gael don't understand fiscal prudence at all. If they're this bad during a boom I shudder to think what they'll be like if the global economy tightens their budgets for them.

They’ve turned a huge FF sponsored deficit into a surplus. The figures speak for themselves.
    Anyhow according to some other posters, FG have nothing to do with he economy and it’s been running itself. So according to FG detractors they are both terrible on the finances and also nothing to do with them! So which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I do find these posts amusing ' I wasn't going to vote for FG, or I was undecided but when I look at others'. Seriously potential voters have seen the mess in housing/ health but think yes FG are the best option after 9 years of things in these areas getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's not working at the moment.

Tried it with your link, and then tried again from google and it was offline.

I think it may be swamped or something. I put in for a change of address online yesterday (which I think you can do for any Dublin based region, or at least it let me switch from DLR to Fingal) and it was stuttery at best. Now it seems it's almost completely down.

Only a week to the supplementary deadline, I'd say it's overloaded with people checking their registration.

I do find these posts amusing ' I wasn't going to vote for FG, or I was undecided but when I look at others'. Seriously potential voters have seen the mess in housing/ health but think yes FF are the best option after 9 years of things in these areas getting worse.
    FF also caused these issues, there has been a crisis in health every january for years if not decades.

Cannot see any reason to vote out FG. I'm an unashamed FG voter and have been since 2011 when I voted for Enda after years of being a FF voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

2020Vision wrote: »
    My voting plans have firmed up after listening to the farmers' rep on Morning Ireland. The witless beef farmers are attacking the innocent workers of Dublin City later today in a lame attempt to get us to force Larry Goodman & Co. to pay them more for their dead cattle. Why us? Because they haven't got the balls to take on Goodman directly so are treating Dubliners as hostages.

In short, they've started a Rural Ireland V Dublin war, so, on the basis that my enemy's enemy is my friend, I'm voting Green - purely because a strong Green Party is the last thing that Beef farmers want to see after the votes are counted.

Resist the beef farming bullies - vote Green!

Voting for a party in order to punish a section of society is never a good idea.

FF also caused these issues, there has been a crisis in health every january for years if not decades.

Cannot see any reason to vote out FG. I'm an unashamed FG voter and have been since 2011 when I voted for Enda after years of being a FF voter.
    Fair play I can't see any reason to vote for more of the same that we have seen for the last 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I do find these posts amusing ' I wasn't going to vote for FG, or I was undecided but when I look at others'. Seriously potential voters have seen the mess in housing/ health but think yes FF are the best option after 9 years of things in these areas getting worse.

I'm guessing you meant to write FG in your last sentence? Anyway, can you point to a better alternative? I am an undecided voter. I have been looking at housing policies of different parties as this is the main issue for me. (Paying massive rent at a rate higher than a mortgage and yet no hope of buying in the near future) Fianna Fail do not have a policy on housing on their website as far as I can see.

Voting for a party in order to punish a section of society is never a good idea.
    My main issue with the greens is that they don't work for non central dublin people.
    They assume we can all cycle to work.

I live ~70km from work (each way) and currently drive an EV. No way would I cycle or take public transport. And I don't want to vote in any fool who would propose I should.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you meant to write FG in your last sentence? Anyway, can you point to a better alternative? I am an undecided voter. I have been looking at housing policies of different parties as this is the main issue for me. (Paying massive rent at a rate higher than a mortgage and yet no hope of buying in the near future) Fianna Fail do not have a policy on housing on their website as far as I can see.

Correct I meant FG will amend now.

Advertisement