Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't see Leo being the next Taoiseach. probably some combo of what's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

If people who applied at any time since Feb 2019 have to reapply , the system will be swamped. Almost a whole year of applications and amendments disregarded and having to be re entered before 22 January. How is this not making the headlines ? Why not postpone election until new Register comes into effect on Feb 15 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's not working at the moment.

Tried it with your link, and then tried again from google and it was offline.

I just tried to access the site using the link and it`s working fine for me. Confirmed I am definitely on the register though I knew that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I do find these posts amusing ' I wasn't going to vote for FG, or I was undecided but when I look at others'. Seriously potential voters have seen the mess in housing/ health but think yes FG are the best option after 9 years of things in these areas getting worse.

Who is going to fix health or housing? No party is proposing the hard fixes for either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

None of those reflects FG policy. Bailey has been deselected for example. If you want to be properly outraged then put Lowry at the top of your list just like the people of Tipperary will.
    Can't go for FF on your example otherwise it's confining P. Flynn's struggle with 3 houses. Nor ST because of Ferris.

I dont buy that for 1 minute.

Fine Gael's response to Maria Bailey, Dara Murphy, Alan Farrell and Josepha Madigan absolutely reflects on their politics, morals and governance. Granted they eventually booted Bailey out (without publishing the secret report) but they have totally let the others off the hook. Criminally so in my opinion. Dara Murphy was essentially stealing thousands of Euro in expenses every month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I do find these posts amusing ' I wasn't going to vote for FG, or I was undecided but when I look at others'. Seriously potential voters have seen the mess in housing/ health but think yes FG are the best option after 9 years of things in these areas getting worse.

On balance when you look at the alternatives FG are a forgone conclusion. The problems are far more nuanced than the likes of SF paint and the dearth of any solutions bar spend more of our money are telling. The opposition have nothing to offer and as said already why risk ones job and the economy on the vague notion they’ll be better (when there’s absolutely no coherent evidence to say they would be- in the case of FF clear evidence of how they actually would be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

road_high wrote: »
    On balance when you look at the alternatives FG are a forgone conclusion. The problems are far more nuanced than the likes of SF paint and the dearth of any solutions bar spend more of our money are telling. The opposition have nothing to offer and as said already why risk ones job abs the economy and the vague notion they’ll be better (when there’s absolutely no coherent evidence to say they would be- in the case of FF clear evidence of how they actually would be)

Ah yes I remember Kenny et Al telling us in 2016 there is no alternative I believe Howlin was parroting Kenny aswell. They were right ,oh wait..

Ah yes I remember Kenny et Al telling us in 2016 there is no alternative I believe Howlin was parroting Kenny aswell. They were right ,oh wait..

And FG were returned to government- what’s your point? He was proven right

And FG were returned to government- what’s your point? He was proven right

The claim at the time, which you choose to ignore was that there was no alternative to FG/Lab. They were clearly wrong. Plus FG only spent the last 4 years in office at the will of FF. Kenny did a deal with FF just to secure a legacy nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The homeless 'crisis' is a sham. A storm whipped up by the media and housing charities hell bent on keeping their staff securely employed. Do we have homeless people? Of course we do and we always will but the issues are nothing like those that are being portrayed.

FG candidates will undoubtedly run with the same mantra so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

We should be able to vote for each ministry individually. At least the main ones like housing, health, education, climate, foreign policy etc. I would like to see candidates putting forward their policies on the issues involved and then we vote into that office the right person for that job. We might actually get people with experience and know-how taking on management of a portfolio they know something about. Instead we, in the main, vote local candidates on their performance tackling local issues into government. Then the leader of the day throws the names in a hat and it’s pot-luck as to who is minister for what. And if that doesn’t work out sure we’ll just have a ‘cabinet re-shuffle’ and see how that goes.

McMurphy wrote: »
    FG candidates will undoubtedly run with the same mantra so.

I doubt it. They have been afraid to all along why would they change now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The claim at the time, which you choose to ignore was that there was no alternative to FG/Lab. They were clearly wrong. Plus FG only spent the last 4 years in office at the will of FF. Kenny did a deal with FF just to secure a legacy nothing more.

IMO if FF get into government it will only be with the support of FG. Martin will do a deal with FG to avoid being the only FF leader never to be Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

ELM327 wrote: »
    My main issue with the greens is that they don't work for non central dublin people.
    They assume we can all cycle to work.

I live ~70km from work (each way) and currently drive an EV. No way would I cycle or take public transport. And I don't want to vote in any fool who would propose I should.

If you're unlucky enough to live in a rural area the Greens will expect you to share a car with ten other families, as Eamonn Ryan proposed recently. Absolute Lunacy.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/10/09/it-takes-a-village-3/https://www.oceanfm.ie/2019/10/10/green-party-not-anti-rural-ireland-ryan-defends-village-car-pooling-proposal/
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2019/10/10/green-party-not-anti-rural-ireland-ryan-defends-village-car-pooling-proposal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

FG line is well established: there is no alternative. There will always be problems in HSE and they’re insoluble. There will always be problems with homelessness. We’ve achieved great success in economy.

Unless there is a big swing back to FF from FG by older voters who lent their vote in 2011 it’s difficult to see a govt without FG or FG c&s.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sweet merciful christ :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    FG line is well established: there is no alternative. There will always be problems in HSE and they’re insoluble. There will always be problems with homelessness. We’ve achieved great success in economy.

Unless there is a big swing back to FF from FG by older voters who lent their vote in 2011 it’s difficult to see a govt without FG or FG c&s.
    Yes I concur with the above.
    Except - there wont be a C+S this time supporting FG again.

Yes Eamonn Ryan needs to go if the Green party are to have any hope.

FF should have replaced Meehawl too. Even if just for the optics. Too many ties to the Bertie days.

Well if there were Alternatives what and who were they? I seem to recall SF ran into the opposition benches ASAP and made no effort to form a coalition- no surprises there and guarantee they’ll do the exact same next month too.

Grown ups do realise you need a functioning government regardless of the fact it’s easier sit back and oppose everyone else. There is no alternative as the last election so clearly illustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Car sharing is going to be the future particularly with advances in self driving capability. Already applications of it such as goCar in Dublin.

• Advertisement

IMO if FF get into government it will only be with the support of FG. Martin will do a deal with FG to avoid being the only FF leader never to be Taoiseach.

Leo is very stubborn and bad memories of the Tallaght strategy linger- The Irish electorate don’t really reward pragmatism

Car sharing is going to be the future particularly with advances in self driving capability. Already applications of it such as goCar in Dublin.

Impossible in ribbon developed rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The deal with FF was not an alternative. We simply didn't get a strong enough government via a supply and confidence agreement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I know a party/candidate would never throw an election or refuse the chance to enter government but I actually think FG would be better served
    in opposition after this election for this reason - The global economy will enter recession this year or next year. There is simply too much debt in the global system to sustain growth. Ireland of course will be hugely affected by a global downturn and our massive national debt will cripple us.
    If FF are in power during this period, they will have some tough budgets etc and they will look economically weak (again).

I thought the same in 2007 - If FF/Bertie got a few less seats and let FG form some sort of coalition in 2007, FF probably would have come out of the bust relatively unscathed. FG would have looked like complete messers as the false credit fueled boom disintegrated. Timing is everything in Irish politics.

Well if there were Alternatives what and who were they? I seem to recall SF ran into the opposition benches ASAP and made no effort to form a coalition- no surprises there and guarantee they’ll do the exact same next month too.

I don't give SF a vote, but have you missed where FF and FG have already ruled out engaging with SF. Hardly SF running for the opposition benches if neither of the two larger parties are willing to deal with them.
    Grown ups do realise you need a functioning government regardless of the fact it’s easier sit back and oppose everyone else. There is no alternative as the last election so clearly illustrated

Drop the condescension it does you no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

FF should have replaced Meehawl too. Even if just for the optics. Too many ties to the Bertie days.

Agreed, I'm a former Green voter but some in the party have gone off the deep end entirely. They need to dial it back.

The deal with FF was not an alternative. We simply didn't get a strong enough government via a supply and confidence agreement.

It was an alternative to FG/Lab which at the time the narrative was there was none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Agree that Ryan is a liability. Martin has led FF back from the brink of extinction. He is a very canny politician and has a good nose for which way the wind is blowing. FF need an energetic campaign.

Agreed, I'm a former Green voter but some in the party have gone off the deep end entirely. They need to dial it back.

Ryan wants to reintroduce an Apex predator back into the countryside is the wolf. Idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am no supporter of the Greens, but I think ERyan has already dialled back on those car pooling suggestions.

https://extra.ie/2019/10/13/news/irish-news/eamon-ryan-deeply-regrets

Advertisement