Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I doubt it. They have been afraid to all along why would they change now?

Exactly my point.

If you are of the belief that they're lying about the state being currently in the midst of a housing crisis - why vote for people who are telling blatant lies to you?

What else are they lying about?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I actually think FG would be better served
    in opposition after this election for this reason - The global economy will enter recession this year or next year. There is simply too much debt in the global system to sustain growth. Ireland of course will be hugely affected by a global downturn and our massive national debt will cripple us.
    If FF are in power during this period, they will have some tough budgets etc and they will look economically weak (again).

I thought the same in 2007 - If FF/Bertie got a few less seats and let FG form some sort of coalition in 2007, FF probably would have come out of the bust relatively unscathed. FG would have looked like complete messers as the false credit fueled boom disintegrated. Timing is everything in Irish politics.

You are, no doubt, right. But what if FG thought less about itself and more about the country's future and actually put in place mechanisms that will support the economy through the coming recession? But even writing this I realise that nobody votes for that. Irish people vote for 'the extra fiver in my pocket' kind of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It wasn't going to be mandated it was optional. Most cars lie idle for 90% of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The housing crisis is more a result of the nimbyism of Irish people objecting to every single developmen than immigration.

I work with a huge number of immigrants who are contributing b their taxes to fund council houses for Irish people who make a career of being on the dole

cant standt nimbys, but who makes the planning decisions here? nimbys? it is well over due, but the council and ABP are approving stuff they never would have years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It wasn't going to be mandated it was optional. Most cars lie idle for 90% of the day
    Grand. Can I borrow yours then?

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Exactly my point.

If you are of the belief that they're lying about the state being currently in the midst of a housing crisis - why vote for people who are telling blatant lies to you?

What else are they lying about?

The original reference was to the existence of a homeless crisis - which I believe is over-stated. But politicians are afraid to tackle that myth for fear of being lambasted in the media.
    The housing crisis is very real, but it is not the same as a homeless crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

smurgen wrote: »
    This is it in a nutshell. They've done nothing to foster growth.if anything their housing policy has now hampered growth.

I agree to an extent, the majority of credit can not go to them, it is external! BUT they are the party that will make it most attractive to work and set up business here. So while I wouldnt give them much credit, the result I expect, has been slightly better than it would have been with the alternatives...

ELM327 wrote: »
    My main issue with the greens is that they don't work for non central dublin people.
    They assume we can all cycle to work.

I live ~70km from work (each way) and currently drive an EV. No way would I cycle or take public transport. And I don't want to vote in any fool who would propose I should.

This is typical of motorist in general. Someone say we should make cycling easier , note they aren't saying everyone has to cycle and you'll get someone replying saying I live 150,000 km away from work up a mountain this is stupid policy.

The fact remains if you have drive then a party which will change shorter journey by car into journeys by bike or bus will benefit you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am no supporter of the Greens, but I think ERyan has already dialled back on those car pooling suggestions.

https://extra.ie/2019/10/13/news/irish-news/eamon-ryan-deeply-regrets

What about the Wolves?

Grand. Can I borrow yours then?

Sure. I barely use mine.

• Advertisement

This is typical of motorist in general. Someone say we should make cycling easier , note they aren't saying everyone has to cycle and you'll get someone replying saying I live 150,000 km away from work up a mountain this is stupid policy.

The fact remains if you have drive then a party which will change shorter journey by car into journeys by bike or bus will benefit you

It's not realistic to expect people to take non existent buses. 70km away from work in another major town is hardly equivalent to 150000km up a mountain.

Ironically, there is a bus that goes to Dublin from literally outside my house. I wouldnt take it anyway, but it doesnt go near my place of work.

Sure. I barely use mine.
    It was a nefarious rhetorical question to show the idiocy of such a proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Its a totally unworkable idea. A regular and reliable rural Minibus system for schools, shops etc is more realistic. If it were in place then families at least might cut back to one car instead of two.

It's not realistic to expect people to take non existent buses. 70km away from work in another major town is hardly equivalent to 150000km up a mountain.

Ironically, there is a bus that goes to Dublin from literally outside my house. I wouldnt take it anyway, but it doesnt go near my place of work.

Read what I said , I was being hyperbolic about the mountain.

Jesus you're literally proving my point 'note they aren't saying everyone has to cycle'

If PT doesn't work for you fine, it don't mean it can't work for others and by it working for others it will actually improve your journey.

Why is the proposal idiocy? You don't have to use a car share

Its a totally unworkable idea. A regular and reliable rural Minibus system for schools, shops etc is more realistic. If it were in place then families at least might cut back to one car instead of two.

Why not both?

Why not both?

Yes both thats what I'm saying. A reduced reliance on cars and a top notch rural public transport service. Obviously everybody needs a car in rural areas its pie in the sky to think otherwise.

Yes both thats what I'm saying. A reduced reliance on cars and a top notch rural public transport service. Obviously everybody needs a car in rural areas its pie in the sky to think otherwise.

Can I ask you to point out who suggested a car wasn't needed in rural areas? This is a straw man

Can I ask you to point out who suggested a car wasn't needed in rural areas? This is a straw man

I was pointing out Eamonn Ryans suggestion of one car per ten families. Maybe he dialled it back but he did suggest if he was in power it was a policy he would enact.

What about the Wolves?

You make it seem like he's advocating introducing plague riddled rats into every home.

There are plenty of benefits to the reintroducing the wolf to Ireland, unfortunately none of them for the wolf, which is why it'll never happen.

That's a rather bizarre admission. You are bemoaning the lack of public transport available to you but admit that there is a bus to Dublin from outside your door. So it doesn't go to your place of work? How about changing to another bus along the route?

I was pointing out Eamonn Ryans suggestion of one car per ten families. Maybe he dialled it back but he did suggest if he was in power it was a policy he would enact.

He never said that. He said rural car shares could work with a ratio of 1 car to 10.

• Advertisement

He never said that. He said rural car shares could work with a ratio of 1 car to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Public transport won't work for you so don't improve any public transport?

Still unworkable, 30 cars for a village of 300. It seems you're a Green Party member, fair enough. I don't agree with Ryans ideas.

Still unworkable, 30 cars for a village of 300. It seems you're a Green Party member, fair enough. I don't agree with Ryans ideas.

I'm not a member. How is it unworkable? You'll still have your car if you want? How many times do you need to be told this. It's an alternative. It allows the 18 year old pop to train. It allows someone to drive to the next big town while you're at work.

It seems you don't agree with the ideas of a fictional Ryan you've invented in your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'm not a member. How is it unworkable? You'll still have your car if you want? How many times do you need to be told this. It's
    It won't work
    If Ryan went down the country selling the idea,he would be ran

That's a rather bizarre admission. You are bemoaning the lack of public transport available to you but admit that there is a bus to Dublin from outside your door. So it doesn't go to your place of work? How about changing to another bus along the route?

It is a 3 hour round trip , vs 40-45 mins in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Where would the 30 cars be located?
    In the centre of the village?
    Or scattered around the centre/outskirts?

I live approx 5km from the centre of my village.

What happens when 20 individuals take a car each to go to their work? Leaves 10 for the remaining 280 people?

I think anyone saying this idea would work is simply trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Amazed to see people considering voting for the Greens, only in the last week or so did they try to get us to lose our Veto on Corporation Tax.

Pure madness.

I'm not a member. How is it unworkable? You'll still have your car if you want? How many times do you need to be told this. It's an alternative. It allows the 18 year old pop to train. It allows someone to drive to the next big town while you're at work.

It seems you don't agree with the ideas of a fictional Ryan you've invented in your mind

Nothing fictional about 30 cars per 300 people, thats what he said.
    Even one car for two families in a rural area is unworkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Drop the condescension it does you no favours.

I’m asking for answers and that’s now condescension? Because you don’t have any. Spell out the alternatives with costed solutions. This what an election is, it’s amazing how unprepared the opposition are. FG will walk this election if this is what they’re up against.

Advertisement