Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where would the 30 cars be located?
    In the centre of the village?
    Or scattered around the centre/outskirts?

I live approx 5km from the centre of my village.

I'm not sure of the details. But in other places they are located all around. Including community facilities so you might have a few cars left at the GAA club for example. It's also worth noting that 5km is only 10 minutes cycle.

Nothing fictional about 30 cars per 300 people, thats what he said.
    Even one car for two families in a rural area is unworkable.

You'll still have all the cars you currently have. In fact buy 4 more. This is an alternative, an option, a choice.

Saying it's unworkable is like saying the new café in the village is unworkable because you've got coffee at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You make it seem like he's advocating introducing plague riddled rats into every home.

Only mention of rats is from you. Reintroducing an Apex predator to a countryside which has a large population of docile sheep ( no awareness of predation)is beyond stupid this is only one of many reasons why it is stupid.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Amazed to see people considering voting for the Greens, only in the last week or so did they try to get us to lose our Veto on Corporation Tax.

Pure madness.

Perhaps you disagree with the losing the veto but do you agree something has to be done to curb the mega profits of companies and I'd suggest we'd have more success with it acting as a European block?

road_high wrote: »
    I’m asking for answers and that’s now condescension? Because you don’t have any. Spell out the alternatives with costed solutions. This what an election is, it’s amazing how unprepared the opposition are. FG will walk this election if this is what they’re up against.

When you start using terms like Grown ups I can dismiss you for condescension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Coveney posters all over Cork city nothing else, its a bit of sham when the sitting party can keep the date a secret, have all there media printed and ready to go while everyone else is running around. So much for democracy.

Is 3 weeks or so enough to decide the future of the country for the next 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hear people say "oh the economy is doing fine again why fix what's not broken, leave FG at it"

The economic growth has nothing to do with the sitting government that's a worldwide trend.

The same lazy ideas do though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

rob316 wrote: »
    Coveney posters all over Cork city nothing else, its a bit of sham when the sitting party can keep the date a secret, have all there media printed and ready to go while everyone else is running around. So much for democracy.

Is 3 weeks or so enough to decide the future of the country for the next 5 years?

In fairness the dogs in the street knew the election was going to be called this week. Is it FG`s fault if other parties are slow out of the blocks when it comes to putting up posters?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair - All the parties have their posters printed long ago (it's not like the date is on them) At best FG might have stolen a few hours march on getting them put up.

There's nobody planning to stand for election that at 1PM yesterday said "Damn , they've set the date for the election , somebody call the printers!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Where is G'OD running this time?
    Just so I know where to look when she gets 3 percent max and goes on a rant!
    She seems to be tweeting about the national party a lot....is this because her "party" isn't actually registered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭CPTM

Also, to be fair, people are elected IN SPITE of their election posters. Bit of a stretch to imply democracy is ruined because of who had an upper hand in putting up their posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I hope people vote anything but FF/FG. Why not do something different for a change?

Who do you suggest? We have FF & FG, then Independent FF and Independent FG, then SF which are basically FF/FG on nationalist steroids.

What does that leave? Labour maybe who'll support one of the above but implement few of their own policies.

Or a scatter brained bunch of odd balls who want to overthrow the political establishment and institute some ultra left wing nirvana.

Can't see much option for any particular change.

Every TD begins preparing for the next general election as soon as the count ends. Posters have been ready for months. I’m pretty sure that most people have their minds made up by now as to how they will vote, so posters really don’t make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Still unworkable, 30 cars for a village of 300. It seems you're a Green Party member, fair enough. I don't agree with Ryans ideas.

The real issue is that the distributed model of rural living as planned in Ireland for the last 50 years is no longer sustainable. No new building should take place outside of towns and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Every TD begins preparing for the next general election as soon as the count ends. Posters have been ready for months. I’m pretty sure that most people have their minds made up by now as to how they will vote, so posters really don’t make much difference.

They sound like a complete waste of time and money so.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The real issue is that the distributed model of rural living as planned in Ireland for the last 50 years is no longer sustainable. No new building should take place outside of towns and villages.

So a son or daughter working the land would not be allowed to house their family beside the land they farm? Do you suggest into the future farmers commute?

McMurphy wrote: »

I think that they are. Usually they are put up on same pole or nearby, meaning that any chance of actually taking note of them is slim, especially as most people drive by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think that they are. Usually they are put up on same pole or nearby, meaning that any chance of actually taking note of them is slim, especially as most people drive by.

We agree on this !

Denis Naughten is running a no poster campaign, don't like the guy but at least he is showing some awareness of the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So a son or daughter working the land would not be allowed to house their family beside the land they farm? Do you suggest into the future farmers commute?

You need to look at many other European countries where that would be the norm.

• Advertisement

A spokesperson from ESB on RTE News just now appealing to party activists not to put posters on electricity poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Denis Naughten is running a no poster campaign, don't like the guy but at least he is showing some awareness of the environment.

Didn’t he do everything in his power to stop the introduction of a deposit-return scheme?

blanch152 wrote: »
    You need to look at many other European countries where that would be the norm.

I'm not talking about other European countries i'm asking about here. I live rurally but I don't farm but I understand the importance of the farmer being close to their land and livestock.

Qrt wrote: »
    Didn’t he do everything in his power to stop the introduction of a deposit-return scheme?

No idea, but what's that got to do with a no poster campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I'm not talking about other European countries i'm asking about here. I live rurally but I don't farm but I understand the importance of the farmer being close to their land and livestock.

The majority of people living in rural Ireland have no connection to the land or agriculture. Most people work in the services industry. So tell me, why are they mostly living in one-off houses?

McMurphy wrote: »

With social media nowadays posters don`t have the same impact they did in past times but I would not agree they are a waste of time and money. If they were, no one would be going to the time and expense of printing them and putting them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

No idea, but what's that got to do with a no poster campaign?

It’s not very environmentally-aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

I do find these posts amusing ' I wasn't going to vote for FG, or I was undecided but when I look at others'. Seriously potential voters have seen the mess in housing/ health but think yes FG are the best option after 9 years of things in these areas getting worse.

So your nomination for the best option is: ???

And do please try to remember that the sheep-like baying of "anyone but FG" isn't a constructive observation but merely a childish cop-out.

markodaly wrote: »
    The majority of people living in rural Ireland have no connection to the land or agriculture. Most people work in the services industry. So tell me, why are they mostly living in one-off houses?

I live in a one off house in a rural area. On a one mile stretch of road, there are 6 such houses. Built 80 to 100 years ago on one acre sites. Built by the council. It was felt that a family would be pretty self sufficient on one acre.

In the last 20 years a further 10 houses have been built on same road. Most, but not all,family members of farmers

• Advertisement

I don’t think FG are doing a terrible job. The country is mostly doing fairly well.
    The hospitals have always been a mess.. too many people running to A+E for nothing.
    The property crisis was kind of inevitable regardless of who was in Govt.
    Homelessness is not worse than other big cities and a lot of homeless are homeless by choice while waiting on a free house.

I’d probably feel safer going with FG than FF.

All the others are just a waste of time. Especially the greens. I don’t want to be taxed to bits for driving when no public transport is available to me.

Advertisement