Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

Riskymove wrote: »
    Have you a candidate?

They are only running 20 so many constituencies won't have the option

Dublin central, so I believe one female, don't even know her name yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

road_high wrote: »
    No you just don’t agree with me so you choose to conflate
    that with Bad manners- you’re really looking for an echo chamber of people agreeing with you. It’s obvious you have nothing to add bar the usual pointing of problems rather than any tangible solutions to anything - the moderators here can decide what constitutes bad manners and i can guarantee you it ain’t any of my posts

Well to me using terms such as 'grown ups' is condescension and as such I have no further reason to engage with you. I have no interest in an echo despite your claims. So my advice to you is find people that have no problem with your attitude and converse with them. Bye now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

bubblypop wrote: »
    reading through different policies from the parties. While none exactly fit all my ideals, I feel the Social Democrats fot most.
    so, regardless of candidates, I think I will vote for the party.

I may well do the same in Galway West. We have an SD candidate and I'll probably give him a first or second preference. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I have already had a few canvassers call. The problem I have in none of the candidates can answer my questions (some below and not in priority order).

1. What is the plan to get residual re-offenders off the streets (100+ convictions is ridiculous and makes you a menace to society)

2. Will you prioritise capital spending (I don't want us going back to spending every penny we have on day to day expenditure, Metro north should be prioritised and then expansion to other Metro lines being added) and on what?

3. How will you deal with the housing and homeless crisis? (anti-landlord and pro REIT is not what I want nor is free houses for all)

4. What's the plan for dealing with childcare costs and lowering costs for working people in general?

5. What is your plan for fixing the healthcare crisis?
    From my dealings with A+E, I see way too many people going for minor issues, there should be a cost involved to enter for everyone (minimal cost for those on medical cards), it would encourage people to only go when they actually need it and anyone going in due to drunken/drug related stupidity should be paying the full cost themselves

6. What is your immigration policy?

Fine Gael said they were the party for those who get up early in the morning yet I've only seen anti-working actions, Christmas bonus for welfare, increased welfare rates, no investment in public transport etc...
    That money would be much better off being invested in housing for those in need as opposed giving them an extra 5 euro a week, the priority is always on the optic as opposed to the outcome. This also raises our day to day expenditure which when **** hits the fan again will need to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

FG pushed for water charges, as such I'd say makes them the only party with a stance to make unpopular choices. FF proposed then initially but then flaked out for in favour of populism.

Whatever your feelings about Irish water et Al, the fact that we are the only country in Europe that doesn't charge for water services just makes other parties look populist.

I for one want to vote for a government that will make hard choices, even if those choices affect me negatively personally.

IW was out of the tax payers pocket. They seem to have no issue diving into the tax payers pocket. But tell me what have they done to tackle commercial issues such as insurance? Something that not only effects Irish consumer but domestic businesses trying to operate in Ireland?they can't even curtail the insurance racket of their own party members. They're hard on taxpayers,no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

How do we encourage people to live in towns and villages where we can provide services/schools/local facilities though?

Waving a big stick and saying "no more one-offs" doesnt work.

Why doesn't it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Where is your evidence of them crumbling.
    I'm presuming you mean the economy and there is no evidence of them crumbling on that anyway.
    Maybe you meant Fianna Fail, you must have, because otherwise your post made no sense.

We're in an upswing in the economy and unexpected Corporate tax windfalls have been squandered due to gross procurement mismanagement and general mismanagement of public funds. Any gains that could have been main in these good time are now gone. Critical infrastructure projects that are essential to our long term growth are now missed and Fine Gael will blame the next gorenment for this.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan is the most delusional man in Irish politics.his suggestion of pooling cars for combined people to use in rural Ireland is mad stuff.who would run such a bonkers scheme and how far in advance would u need to book ur time.i’ll keep my dirty diesel going which Ryan’s cronies diverted everyone towards when he was in power.not everyone wants to live in a town either

Ryan never suggested taking your "dirty diesel" is was a suggestion you'd have the option to use a car from the pool. Car pooling seems to work in Dublin, why can't it work in other towns?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

FG pushed for water charges, as such I'd say makes them the only party with a stance to make unpopular choices. FF proposed then initially but then flaked out for in favour of populism.

Whatever your feelings about Irish water et Al, the fact that we are the only country in Europe that doesn't charge for water services just makes other parties look populist.

I for one want to vote for a government that will make hard choices, even if those choices affect me negatively personally.

All day long baby....
    "A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water, we've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

Alan Dukes, FG (November 2014)
    FORMER JUNIOR MINISTER Fergus O’Dowd, one the people involved in setting up Irish Water, said last night that he felt that there were “forces at work” with “agendas” to privatise the utility company. He said he remains “deeply concerned at other agendas, they may be European… I don’t know where they are coming from…” and said we have “real reason to be concerned” about the possibility of Irish Water being privatised.

Fergus O'Dowd, FG

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Some candidates are very quick off the mark

We got our first leaflets through the door today

Received a letter from a prominent local TD that listed every family member 'Ted & Bob & Alice & Carol etc'. Some of whom changed address years ago. I felt humbled that he remembered my name after all this time, clearly it wasn't dug out of the registry by a harried minion. That's my vote decided then, until the next letter/leaflet lands through the door. If the dilemma becomes too much, I can chuck them into a roaring fire all at once so that no one misses out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/dublin-property-prices-down-again-as-supply-cools-market-1.4140499?mode=amp

House prices in Dublin dropping and new builds increased by 18% in the last year.

That won't suit the narrative about the housing crisis in this election...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fergus O'Dowd felt, well used, in the IW debacle. He was a bit innocent and didn't see he was being used until late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Received a letter from a prominent local TD that listed every family member 'Ted & Bob & Alice & Carol etc'. Some of whom changed address years ago. I felt humbled that he remembered my name after all this time, clearly it wasn't dug out of the registry by a harried minion. That's my vote decided then, until the next letter/leaflet lands through the door. If the dilemma becomes too much, I can chuck them into a roaring fire all at once so that no one misses out.

Yeah

Funny enough my brother who doesn't live at home was on the leaflet but my sister who does live at home wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/dublin-property-prices-down-again-as-supply-cools-market-1.4140499?mode=amp

House prices in Dublin dropping and new builds increased by 18% in the last year.

No the doom and gloom merchants relish in the misery of a good crisis. Just don’t ask them for any solutions though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The closing statement in the article pretty much shows why this will still be the narrative and why it fits.

"Analyst Alan McQuaid said: “Lack of supply remains the key issue for the Irish housing market. First-time buyers continue to be priced out of the market.”

“Subsidising purchasers through tax breaks is not the answer. But at least, new supply is coming on stream,” he said."

This can be backed up with the recent Q4 report on myhome.ie, additionally though if you look at the evidence over 2019 the squeeze was put on by landlords for tenants and quite allot of private landlords broke the law and saw yields of 8% YoY.

So i can imagine if your one of the many renting and your locked into a contract that is screwing you, your not going to thank the government.

You could build a million house but if they are being sold at 10 time the average industrial wage and being rented at multiples of the mortgage being use to pay for them it doesn't do much to help most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have already had a few canvassers call. The problem I have in none of the candidates can answer my questions (some below and not in priority order).

1. What is the plan to get residual re-offenders off the streets (100+ convictions is ridiculous and makes you a menace to society)

2. Will you prioritise capital spending (I don't want us going back to spending every penny we have on day to day expenditure, Metro north should be prioritised and then expansion to other Metro lines being added) and on what?

3. How will you deal with the housing and homeless crisis? (anti-landlord and pro REIT is not what I want nor is free houses for all)

4. What's the plan for dealing with childcare costs and lowering costs for working people in general?

From my dealings with A+E, I see way too many people going for minor issues, there should be a cost involved to enter for everyone (minimal cost for those on medical cards), it would encourage people to only go when they actually need it and anyone going in due to drunken/drug related stupidity should be paying the full cost themselves

Fine Gael said they were the party for those who get up early in the morning yet I've only seen anti-working actions, Christmas bonus for welfare, increased welfare rates, no investment in public transport etc...
    That money would be much better off being invested in housing for those in need as opposed giving them an extra 5 euro a week, the priority is always on the optic as opposed to the outcome. This also raises our day to day expenditure which when **** hits the fan again will need to be cut.

Good post. Look, we are going to be seeing them all now, canvassers, politicians etc. Its time to tell them face to face, they have done nothing for workers! remind them who puts them there and I totally agree about transport, the situation in Dublin is a disgrace. They can find staggering amount for health every year, welfare increases, but the working people in dublin, paying a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent in many cases, they dont have a right to something other than 3rd world transport?

bear in mind, its all these same morons knocking around to you now, that are for the most party blocking everything, bus connects, metro etc...

I am sure it is ramping up, they were glacially slow in going it done though. Glacially slow, there is no rush it seems, when they themselves 1. are not being robbed blind on rent 2. virtually all td's , planners etc they are property owners with a vested interest in rising prices....

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Butson

Nail on the head. The Christmas Bonus, this gets me every time. I was explaining this to a relative home from Australia over the Christmas, absolutely perplexed. Couldn't believe it.
    No current Irish party can answer any of your questions above.
    I find the whole thing pretty depressing and as of now won't be voting.

Butson wrote: »
    Nail on the head. The Christmas Bonus, this gets me every time. I was explaining this to a relative home from Australia over the Christmas, absolutely perplexed. Couldn't believe it.
    No current Irish party can answer any of your questions above.
    I find the whole thing pretty depressing and as of now won't be voting.

€300,000,000 is the cost of the bonus! They give them ten pound in the uk and no, I am not joking. Link below. that 300 hundred million is wasted in retailers and bookies for the most part, I dont care if its a broad generalization. It is an appalling waste of money, that could be far better spent ANYWHERE else and its an insult to workers.

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I live in a one off house in a rural area. On a one mile stretch of road, there are 6 such houses. Built 80 to 100 years ago on one acre sites. Built by the council. It was felt that a family would be pretty self sufficient on one acre.

In the last 20 years a further 10 houses have been built on same road. Most, but not all,family members of farmers

And with all due respect, that is a completely unsustainable mode of development. It should be banned and is contributing disproportionately both to the cost of public services in Ireland and to the CO2 emissions.

You could build a million house but if they are being sold at 10 time the average industrial wage and being rented at multiples of the mortgage being use to pay for them it doesn't do much to help most people.

Its the lack of supply that makes them so expensive.
    When the supply becomes available, the prices of both buying and renting will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Did you knock in, how do you know?

More factfree analysis.

https://statbank.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/saveselections.asp

442,669 one-off houses in rural Ireland.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-syi/psyi2018/agri/farmsandfarmers/

137,500 farms in Ireland

155,600 people employed in agriculture, excluding family members.

Yes, as Gueze posted, most of these houses are not inhabited by farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

blanch152 wrote: »
    And with all due respect, that is a completely unsustainable mode of development. It should be banned and is contributing disproportionately both to the cost of public services in Ireland and to the CO2 emissions.

Agreed. The countryside is blighted by so many truly awful houses built on sites so far from amenities. Then these same people who have chosen to live in isolated areas complain about lack of infrastructure, public transport and having to pay for their own water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Social welfare rates have not risen under FG. That's 2009s rates http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2009---Rates-of-Payment.aspx

Just taking into account inflation dole would need to be €215 to match the same money value in 2009.

And candidates won't be able to address your issues. No party is going to be tougher on crime, spend more on infrastructure, deal with homeless, spend more on childcare, cut social welfare and stop all immigration in the country. Those are a mish-mash of far right, right wing and left wing ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Agreed. The countryside is blighted by so many truly awful houses built on sites so far from amenities. Then these same people who have chosen to live in isolated areas complain about lack of infrastructure, public transport and having to pay for their own water supply.

I live rurally but within 10 miles of three reasonable size towns. Quiet , peaceful living worth every cent I paid for the house which incidentally was less than a soulless 2 bedroom box in my home town at the time of my purchase. There is downsides, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Also I'm the only person living within a 2 mile radius with no connection to agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Social welfare rates have not risen under FG. That's 2009s rates http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2009---Rates-of-Payment.aspx

Just taking into account inflation dole would need to be €215 to match the same money value in 2009.

And candidates won't be able to address your issues. No party is going to be tougher on crime, spend more on infrastructure, deal with homeless, spend more on childcare, cut social welfare and stop all immigration in the country. Those are a mish-mash of far right, right wing and left wing ideas

I wonder is there room in there, anywhere, for common sense?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bubblypop wrote: »
    Dublin central, so I believe one female, don't even know her name yet!

Gary Gannon is the Soc Dem candidate for Dublin Central.

blanch152 wrote: »

I do agree. However, when those houses were first built, they were done in a way that was sensible at that time. An acre gave a large kitchen garden and room for a cow and/or a pig. From asking older neighbors, the first tenants worked for local farmers. Plenty of thought went into their building, unlike the more recent builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The problem with, common sense, is that, it isn't very common.

Advertisement