Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I live rurally but within 10 miles of three reasonable size towns. Quiet , peaceful living worth every cent I paid for the house which incidentally was less than a soulless 2 bedroom box in my home town at the time of my purchase. There is downsides, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Also I'm the only person living within a 2 mile radius with no connection to agriculture.

Sounds nice, and I guess you not one of the complainers that I refereed to. But I still think those on-off faux palatial mansions built over the last twenty years have blighted our countryside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not really what you should be trying to score political points over when you are seeking a mandate. Doubt Leo would make the same demand if the Lord Mayor was a FG GE candidate.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseachs-comments-on-homeless-mans-injuries-extraordinary-975637.html

Sounds nice, and I guess you not one of the complainers that I refereed to. But I still think those on-off faux palatial mansions built over the last twenty years have blighted our countryside

Can you describe what a faux palatial mansion looks like? I've heard of McMansions but like your term I have no idea what they look like either. My house was built in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can you describe what a faux palatial mansion looks like? I've heard of McMansions but like your term I have no idea what they look like either.
    I assume you are being facetious but he's obviously using the term as a synonym for mcmansion

ELM327 wrote: »
    I assume you are being facetious but he's obviously using the term as a synonym for mcmansion

If only you weren't in such a hurry to have a go. See my post above yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Social welfare rates have not risen under FG. That's 2009s rates http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2009---Rates-of-Payment.aspx

Just taking into account inflation dole would need to be €215 to match the same money value in 2009.

And candidates won't be able to address your issues. No party is going to be tougher on crime, spend more on infrastructure, deal with homeless, spend more on childcare, cut social welfare and stop all immigration in the country. Those are a mish-mash of far right, right wing and left wing ideas

I guess this is aimed at my post so will respond

Although I've given in most cases my opinion in no place did I expect all to be met by canvassers, what I did ask was what was their manifesto on the areas I highlighted and not 1 could give it to me.

"No party is going to be tougher on crime, spend more on infrastructure, deal with homeless, spend more on childcare, cut social welfare and stop all immigration in the country. Those are a mish-mash of far right, right wing and left wing ideas"

I would expect all parties to have a policy on Health, Crime, Welfare, Infrastructure, Housing etc... They may not match what I would like but I would at least expect them to be able to answer what their policy is and I could pick the candidate/party that has the closest matching policies. If you are saying it's normal for a politician to not have a policy on those areas then I hope you are in the minority expecting that as our country deserves better.

Just on the immigration comment, I never said stop all immigration to the country, the question I asked the canvassers was what is their policy and I got fobbed off or a wishy-washy answer.

The 300 Million plus spent on the Christmas bonus would have built a nice few houses but the optics would not look as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

2020Vision wrote: »
    It's a shame that the Soc Dems are led by two pretty uninspirational TDs.

If they had managed to keep Baldie Donnelly on board, I would have been very tempted to give them a go.

Unfortunately being a small party and being in opposition isn't very glamourous, it's hard slog and I don't envy them that job.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    If there's any chance of FF going into government with SF, then they won't get a vote from me.
    The last time the greens were in they forced everyone in the country to buy new diesel cars..... Now look. The greens will tax everything in the name of climate change, which has no affect on climate change........
    It's a pity the soc dems are such a small party, few more candidates for them, I think they would do well

They're fielding 20 candidates IIRC, so if that means 20 less FG Eoghan Murphys I will take that all day long.

Unfortunately I don't see all 20 getting in, at worst 3, probably at best 8 or 9 but it would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Can you describe what a faux palatial mansion looks like? I've heard of McMansions but like your term I have no idea what they look like either. My house was built in 2004.

I have to admit I hadn't heard of the term McMansion before but a quick googling of the term led to some prime examples of the aforementioned...

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/157457285986/mcmansion-hell-ireland-edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Weirdly there is no mention of climate change so far. I doubt it will be a big issue in this election. Perhaps worryingly so.

Because the only party who want to do anything about climate change (other than sound bites) are the loopy greens who will tax us all into oblivion if they get in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If only you weren't in such a hurry to have a go. See my post above yours.
    Which of these two?

Not really what you should be trying to score political points over when you are seeking a mandate. Doubt Leo would make the same demand if the Lord Mayor was a FG GE candidate.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseachs-comments-on-homeless-mans-injuries-extraordinary-975637.html
    Lackey wrote: »
    Because the only party who want to do anything about climate change (other than sound bites) are the loopy greens who will tax us all into oblivion if they get in!!

yeah, the greens would be a mistake, they want to up the corporate tax rate!

• Advertisement

I have to admit I hadn't heard of the term McMansion before but a quick googling of the term led to some prime examples of the aforementioned...

https://mcmansionhell.com/post/157457285986/mcmansion-hell-ireland-edition

My normal commute everyday (11 miles, only 1 urban). There is only 4 houses I can honestly attach the label of McMansion using that article as a guide. All bar 1 are inside the town limits I work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FG pushed for water charges, as such I'd say makes them the only party with a stance to make unpopular choices. FF proposed then initially but then flaked out for in favour of populism.

Whatever your feelings about Irish water et Al, the fact that we are the only country in Europe that doesn't charge for water services just makes other parties look populist.

I for one want to vote for a government that will make hard choices, even if those choices affect me negatively personally.

Why though? The environment? Do you believe that?
    Let's look at it. Crony appointments, sweet deal for Denis still under investigation. Money tree readily available for consultants, laughing yoga (and recently a documentary) all when we were 'practically eating out of bins'. You buy they were cool with being unpopular to do the right thing? If it's true they certainly are fine with being unpopular doing the wrong thing as long as it 'looks after our own'.

This being unpopular to do the right thing is a complete myth. Kenny got in on the promise of doing tough things, making changes and he did a lot better than after we saw all that shelved. So you cannot in all seriousness say the electorate just want an easy ride. We wanted change and understood it would be tough. FG betrayed us and are full of sh*t quite frankly.

What hard choices have they made that is for the greater good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Why though? The environment? Do you believe that?
    Let's look at it. Crony appointments, sweet deal for Denis still under investigation. Money tree readily available for consultants, laughing yoga (and recently a documentary) all when we were 'practically eating out of bins'. You buy they were cool with being unpopular to do the right thing? If it's true they certainly are fine with being on popular doing the wrong thing as long as it 'looks after our own'.

What hard choices have they made that is for the greater good?

Don't forget expense scandal after expense scandal and insurance fraud within the party.they can't even lead by example let alone lead!

road_high wrote: »
    No the doom and gloom merchants relish in the misery of a good crisis. Just don’t ask them for any solutions though

You new here? Build social and affordable housing. Tax vulture funds at a higher rate. Stop leasing and buying off the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Social housing. Social housing. Social housing.
    That seems to be the dominant issue for the electorate based on the main TV3 (Virgin) News coverage at 5:30 pm this evening. They had TV cameras following politicians knocking at doors during work hours on a Wednesday, which is probably why social housing came up at the doorsteps.

The Labour’s party plan is to spend €16bn over five years to build 80,000 social and affordable houses. Sinn Fein wants to build 100,000 social houses.
    This does not matter for the overwhelming majority of voters, except for the fact that they will be paying for these fanciful policies if either of these parties get into a coalition government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

O’Snodaigh is still a member of SF isn’t he?

Yeah like that cretin Ferris.

You don't know that.
    You can't have it both ways.
    A right wing agenda favours business, the public suffer, welfare/aid needs to be widened and increased.

Bullshyte.
    We have one of the most generous welfare systems in the world with no recourse if you are on it for life.

It is a fooking joke.
    Previously if I lost my livelihood as self employed person, after paying wads of tax, I was not entitled to the same welfare as someone who had been on it for life.

Welfare should be a safety net, it should be for those sick and less fortunate through life's happenstance.
    It should not be a fooking career option.

And yes even when we had full so called employment we had over 100,000 long term unemployed.

There is a huge amount of people who would gladly vote for a more fiscally conservative party, a party that believes in proper law and order and will put the money there to ensure it.

Instead the only option we have with regards more conservative parties are loons that only care who you are shagging, that rape victims should be forced to bear the offspring of the rapes or that hospitals should be run on religious doctrine.

And the rest are more interested in pandering to the leftist inhabited media, the taxpayer suckling NGOs and the modern social media spewing self righteous virtue signalers.

If Casey did one thing he showed there is an appetite in this country for more right leaning politics or what years ago we termed centrist politics.
    And it is going to increase evermore as more and more people get further deluded with the current shytology.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah like that cretin Ferris.

Bullshyte.
    We have one of the most generous welfare systems in the world with no recourse if you are on it for life.

It is a fooking joke.
    Previously if I lost my livelihood as self employed person, after paying wads of tax, I was not entitled to the same welfare as someone who had been on it for life.

Welfare should be a safety net, it should be for those sick and less fortunate through life's happenstance.
    It should not be a fooking career option.

And yes even when we had full so called employment we had over 100,000 long term unemployed.

There is a huge amount of people who would gladly vote for a more fiscally conservative party, a party that believes in proper law and order and will put the money there to ensure it.

Instead the only option we have with regards more conservative parties are loons that only care who you are shagging, that rape victims should be forced to bear the offspring of the rapes or that hospitals should be run on religious doctrine.

And the rest are more interested in pandering to the leftist inhabited media, the taxpayer suckling NGOs and the modern social media spewing self righteous virtue signalers.

If Casey did one thing he showed there is an appetite in this country for more right leaning politics.
    And it is going to increase evermore as more and more people get further deluded with the current shytology.

I agree with some of your rant but nothing you say here disputes my comment.
    Can you name one politician, never mind party, that advocates letting people decide not to work?
    As more people find things getting tight, the more they'll need widen the welfare net to bring working tax payers in. This is what comes of having right wing business first policies. More people needing a state dig out. An example? We are buying and leasing off private business who are taxed at low rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Bad news today for FG, homeless man bulldozed over in a tent, a 17 year old dismembered and found in different parts of Dublin and the farmers out protesting.

The response from Leo on the man is not good for him and shows the disconnect that there is in the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Kivaro wrote: »
    Social housing. Social housing. Social housing.
    That seems to be the dominant issue for the electorate based on the main TV3 (Virgin) News coverage at 5:30 pm this evening. They had TV cameras following politicians knocking at doors during work hours on a Wednesday, which is probably why social housing came up at the doorsteps.

The Labour’s party plan is to spend €16bn over five years to build 80,000 social and affordable houses. Sinn Fein wants to build 100,000 social houses.
    This does not matter for the overwhelming majority of voters, except for the fact that they will be paying for these fanciful policies if either of these parties get into a coalition government.

Right, so the plan is to build expensive social housing at great expense, and then let them pay virtually nothing for it? Meaning that other people that have paid way more than their fair share are paying for it and meaning way less accommodation can be provided for other people that are on the list or wouldnt qualify for it

Basically give many , many who dont work a lottery ticket and FCUK the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Calhoun wrote: »
    Bad news today for FG, homeless man bulldozed over in a tent, a 17 year old dismembered and found in different parts of Dublin and the farmers out protesting.

The response from Leo on the man is not good for him and shows the disconnect that there is in the government.
    Well thank you for that very unique view of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

blanch152 wrote: »
    The real issue is that the distributed model of rural living as planned in Ireland for the last 50 years is no longer sustainable. No new building should take place outside of towns and villages.

That seems to be a bit extreme but you have a point. Farmers and their families should be exempt. Also there are people leaving the countryside and heading to the bigger centres and these are not able to cope as they stand. What is needed is high quality high rise in the cities and high speed public transport to purpose built satellite towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree with some of your rant but nothing you say here disputes my comment.
    Can you name one politician, never mind party, that advocates letting people decide not to work?
    As more people find things getting tight, the more they'll need widen the welfare net to bring working tax payers in. This is what comes of having right wing business first policies. More people needing a state dig out. An example? We are buying and leasing off private business who are taxed at low rates.

Paul Murphy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0926/339177-jobbridge-jobs-unemployment-paul-murphy/.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Lackey wrote: »

No. Not at all, they will have to co-operate with any main party in Government. What's loopy is leaving things as they are as we go off the cliff.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Right, so the plan is to build expensive social housing at great expense, and then let them pay virtually nothing for it? Meaning that other people that have paid way more than their fair share are paying for it and meaning way less accommodation can be provided for other people that are on the list or wouldnt qualify for it

Basically give many , many who dont work a lottery ticket and FCUK the others?

The current plan is an expense on expensive apartment leases and buying for the same people. These people will be housed. Do you want to build our own for them or lease and buy for them? That's the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Where, in that article, did he 'advocate letting people decide not to work'?

Not in that article.
    FYI one of the top Jobbridge lads was using them more than every other business to fill his offices with tax payer paid jobbridge staff. I suppose the tax payer giving free labour to private business is cool. Beats giving people a job right?

I know this may prove troublesome for you but can you point out in the article you linked where he advocates for letting people decide whether to work or not. I tried but I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I presume everyone would be working if Paul got his wet dream of a socialist workers republic. Everyone has to contribute to the revolution, comrade.

Be a nightmare for some socialists though. The having to work bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Calhoun wrote: »

The fine gaelers would probably tell ya that our homeless mortality rate and teenage dismembering rate is in line with that of other countries like that's meant to be good enough or some sort of reassurance.

• Advertisement

I presume everyone would be working if Paul got his wet dream of a socialist workers republic. Everyone has to contribute to the revolution, comrade.

Be a nightmare for some socialists though. The having to work bit.

Are you confused by the term 'workers'?
    Dara Murphy must be a personal hero. Two jobs! Sure he wasn't at one, but the tax payer paid him anyway and Varadkar knew what he was at.
    If I may, you really are just phoning it in these days.

Advertisement