Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

blanch152 wrote: »
    JobBridge was one of a number of schemes which worked very effectively to get those outside the workforce back to being contributors to society. Those who opposed it, as Paul Murphy did, were essentially advocating for letting people decide not to work.

You made a claim with it having no basis in fact whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

smurgen wrote: »
    Thank God Leo and Fine Gael are going after the big fish anyway https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/only-300000-recouped-since-welfare-cheat-ads-campaign-was-launched-38855706.html

300k should cover Dara Murphy's double jobbing cost, inflated expenses of Alan Farrell and a golden handshake for Maria Bailey.

yeah... 300k recouped, when the most you can get an installment order for is a 5er a week, 20 quid of that 300k could be an initial payment by somebody who owes 100k alone to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyone for a BER tax linked with the LPT. The better the BER the les tax you pay/the worse the BER the more you pay.

Perhaps if it was done as a carrot and not a stick.

At the moment LPT is not based on your ability to pay so increasing it because of a poor BER rating would make it even more regressive.

A discount if you had a good BER rating would be an incentive to improve the environmental performance of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Phoebas wrote: »
    Did you actually read past the headline?
    €300k in repayments. €7,000k in savings.

Fair play.they'll be able to put three more beds into the new children's hospital with savings like that.
    Penny-wise ,pound foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Really? What did they suggest?

(Your Gulf News Link doesn't work by the way)

Gulf news link was a list of worst polluters countries and companies.
    Ireland isn’t anything compared to these
    So taxing Irish Joe does nothing but tax Irish joe

Can’t remember them all but off the top of my head
    Protect our Forrest’s
    Tax companies not individuals for use of single use plastics etc and reduce tax as they become greener
    Protect our eco systems
    Label packaging with information on how environmentally friendly it is

One of the young lads on the news said himself taxing middle and low income families did nothing but make them poorer.

I’m no expert but I do know I can’t afford for the greens to be anywhere near The Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They could bring in regulations as regards emissions, rather than taxes.
    Tax cuts for folk go green etc.
    The problem for the Greens is they are a one issue party, or seen as such.
    All it takes is FF/FG to bring out a few green initiatives to make the Green party an irrelevance and FF/FG are well capable of jumping on a band wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

one green initiative I would like to see introduced, is a refundable deposit, placed on all drink cans, bottles and glass. The sheer amount of them littering the place, is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

They could bring in regulations as regards emissions, rather than taxes.
    Tax cuts for folk go green etc.
    The problem for the Greens is they are a one issue party, or seen as such.
    All it takes is FF/FG to bring out a few green initiatives to make the Green party an irrelevance and FF/FG are well capable of jumping on a band wagon.

Well we soon will have hundreds of millions in emissions fines every year as we won't make our targets. They could have spent this money in advance on public transport that would have helped us not only meet our targets,but also build key infrastructure that would help further grow our economy. But no,this idiotic reactionary government are so incompetent and struggling to keep the lights on they rather pay the fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

elperello wrote: »
    Perhaps if it was done as a carrot and not a stick.

At the moment LPT is not based on your ability to pay so increasing it because of a poor BER rating would make it even more regressive.

A discount if you had a good BER rating would be an incentive to improve the environmental performance of your house.

I think that carrot and stick could work better. Payments could be deferred until the property is sold, if owner is unable to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Phoebas wrote: »
    Did you actually read past the headline?
    €300k in repayments. €7,000k in savings.

Yup, awful sensationalism there, if only all initiatives had that return on investment

• Advertisement

I think that carrot and stick could work better. Payments could be deferred until the property is sold, if owner is unable to pay.

Take the case of a person living in a cold draughty house who did not have enough money to upgrade it.

What would be the point of levying more tax on them that they couldn't afford to pay?

smurgen wrote: »
    Well we soon will have hundreds of millions in emissions fines every year as we won't make our targets. They could have spent this money in advance on public transport that would have helped us not only meet our targets,but also build key infrastructure that would help further grow our economy. But no,this idiotic reactionary government are so incompetent and struggling to keep the lights on they rather pay the fines.

I agree! Health and housing, due to themselves tying themselves in knots, will not be fixed! Transport is bloody simple, commit to the spend on the much needed projects, bus connects, Dublin metro and Dart underground is needed. I started a thread about all of FG failures, that is still going strong, but I am going to vote for them, they are useless, but the last thing we need is to increase the risk of another bust, when every project, as always, will be sent back to the drawing board and they will start re-designing the wheel!

these post are just a day or two old and literally incredible!

Thread below and link to comments also!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055630770&page=398

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112247679&postcount=5950
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
    The Times (the remaining shell of the Irish version) claim today that IE are 200m short for this and are proposing kicking the Hazelhatch and Northern lines down the road unless more money comes along; just proceeding with Maynooth/M3.
    Seems a bit mad that in a €2.3 bn scheme they are considering scrapping 2/3ds of the scheme for want of 2/300 mil

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112252526&postcount=5962
    5 Years after announcing the Dart expansion to Maynooth and the Northern Line, they are only now saying they are short money and say the completion is now 2028?

September 25th 2015 - Dart to be extended to Balbriggan by 2022
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...2022-1.2361505

So instead of 2022, we are here at the start of 2020 with not a single bit of cable having been put up for the expansion.

If that's not disheartening, I don't know what is.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112251250&postcount=5959
    Depressing but sadly no longer surprising. Today the federal government here (Germany) announced a contract with the Bahn to invest 86 billion in infrastructure improvements.

Having said that, the German basic law (constitution) states:

4) The Federation shall ensure that, in developing and maintaining the federal railway system as well as in offering services over this system, other than local passenger services, due account is taken of the interests and especially the transportation needs of the public. Details shall be regulated by a federal law.

(Federation here means federal government).

they have seemingly endless money for roads! Nothing for rail though, it beggars belief, does any other country put the cart before the horse, like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Anyone for a BER tax linked with the LPT. The better the BER the les tax you pay/the worse the BER the more you pay.

Never work

Newer builds are obviously going to have better BER

A hell of a lot of people can't afford new build or are living in the same house for years upon years

That system would punish the majority of households

Take the case of a person living in a cold draughty house who did not have enough money to upgrade it.

What would be the point of levying more tax on them that they couldn't afford to pay?

That's where the carrot comes in. Grants for upgrades and zero interest loans available. Payments could be taken from sale of house or death.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    one green initiative I would like to see introduced, is a refundable deposit, placed on all drink cans, bottles and glass. The sheer amount of them littering the place, is a disgrace!

that works in other countries so it should def be tried here

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Never work

Newer builds are obviously going to have better BER

A hell of a lot of people can't afford new build or are living in the same house for years upon years

That system would punish the majority of households

Or encourage them to upgrade. Grants and zero interest loans to be available. Payments could be attached to the property and reccovered upon sale or transfer.

That's where the carrot comes in. Grants for upgrades and zero interest loans available. Payments could be taken from sale of house or death.

Grants are good but you need spare income to repay even zero interest loans.

Old people have enough to worry about with the HSE taking a chunk of their house if they need nursing home care. They don't need a "cold home tax" added
    to their woes.

Grants fine

The government wouldn't offer zero interest loans

That idea is punishing households who couldn't afford new builds and would now need to take out loans which they don't have to get a better BER or in case of death leave a less valuable property after them

Or encourage them to upgrade. Grants and zero interest loans to be available. Payments could be attached to the property and reccovered upon sale or transfer.

This is why the loopy greens will never be voted in
    Madness forcing people into debt
    Have a look at the world pollution stats forcing debt to increase ber ratings onto people will do fu£k all to help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

So who do you vote for if you want to see the back of these "forever homes" and dole scroungers? Seriously sick to the teeth of people who choose social welfare payouts as a lifestyle choice as opposed to a stop gap solution. Who do the hard working tax payers vote for? Is there anyone?

• Advertisement

Lackey wrote: »
    This is why the loopy greens will never be voted in
    Madness forcing people into debt
    Have a look at the world pollution stats forcing debt to increase ber ratings onto people will do fu£k all to help the situation.

I'm not sure the Greens proposed this.

So who do you vote for if you want to see the back of these "forever homes" and dole scroungers? Seriously sick to the teeth of people who choose social welfare payouts as a lifestyle choice as opposed to a stop gap solution. Who do the hard working tax payers vote for? Is there anyone?

I have received multiple bans over the years, for the choice of words I have aimed at these scroungers to put it mildly. But we are pointing the finger in the wrong direction, its the system that is a disgrace. Any of us, will take what we are offered. Say you come from that background, honest to god, at this rate, taking the easy option out, would be very very attractive and this is coming from someone who has never been a day unemployed and is facing the ridiculous consequences of this rental crisis in dublin!

I know a woman, husband owns house and throws her and the kid out. Two weeks in a hotel and has now been given a two bed apartment on the quays. Now I am happy for her, but I want to know, any of you not prepared to sign up for that? two weeks in a hotel and then an apartment worth what E1600+ given to you?

no, FG are probably as close to damage limitation as it gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

ELM327 wrote: »
    Which of these two?

yeah, the greens would be a mistake, they want to up the corporate tax rate!

You're right those poor trillion euro companies are on the bread line!

You're right those poor trillion euro companies are on the bread line!

the corporate tax rate will not be touched! You think they will undermine the confidence in it, to take in some extra pittance? Not a chance, believe me, not a chance! wouldnt even be entertained!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Housing is way more solvable than health imo. Just get the department to start building houses themselves. It's not rocket science. FG's policy of relying on the private sector to provide social housing has been totally ineffective.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Housing is way more solvable than health imo. Just get the department to start building houses themselves. It's not rocket science. FG's policy of relying on the private sector to provide social housing has been totally ineffective.

yes definitely, certainly far easier to solve, but they wont...

I'm not sure the Greens proposed this.

You’re right apologies
    Still wouldn’t touch the greens with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MadYaker wrote: »

How many and what's the cost analysis?

And have you a link to the builders who work for the department who can build all these houses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

bubblypop wrote: »
    reading through different policies from the parties. While none exactly fit all my ideals, I feel the Social Democrats fot most.
    so, regardless of candidates, I think I will vote for the party.

Yeah but they're as flaky as any party of that ilk. How many TDs have they got at present. Two? And both are leaders. Stephen Donnelly felt more at home in FF which says something. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Advertisement