Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Leo asked for the Lord Mayor of Dublin to make a statement who happens to be a FF candidate do you if the Lord Mayor was a FG candidate he would have made the same suggestion?. Btw it was Leo who tried to politicise what happened.

Decent of Leo. It's not all that common for a politician to offer an opposition politician the opportunity to obtain loads of free publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

2020Vision wrote: »
    Decent of Leo. It's not all that common for a politician to offer an opposition politician the opportunity to obtain loads of free publicity.

You're right I didn't even know the Lord Mayor was a FF candidate until this tragedy happened.
    Seemed Leo was channeling his inner 'Enda'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You're right I didn't even know the Lord Mayor was a FF candidate until this tragedy happened.
    Seemed Leo was channeling his inner 'Enda'.

I have no idea who the Dublin mayor is. I still don't know his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Leo def knew who he is and what he was doing

It's was an unnecessary swipe

I'd say Leo would want it back if he could do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

mariaalice wrote: »
    One of the big issue with politics:

Before the election, Steven Donnelly blames Simon Harris personally for the problems of the HSE.

The election is looming and Simon Donnelly is afraid he might actually become minister for health he gives an interview where he says one person can't sort out the health services it will involve big changes involving several stakeholders.

In other words in opposition its the minister's individual responsibility, potentially in power it's not the minister's individual responsibility.

FF looking to be careful and not do a Labour on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Leo def knew who he is and what he was doing

It's was an unnecessary swipe

I'd say Leo would want it back if he could do it again

It was a swipe surely, considering that thime clean up involved waterways Ireland and Dublin City Council I can easily see why he said it

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

smurgen wrote: »
    We'll be paying anyways. As it stands we're housing emergency accommodation in hotels due to fine Gael policy not to build social housing.propping up their hotelier friends.
    With increased social housing it will mean that there'll be more housing supply that will reduce aggregate rents. Even for those of us working or asses off.

Bingo, and we pay through HAP to private landlords.
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Housing is way more solvable than health imo. Just get the department to start building houses themselves. It's not rocket science. FG's policy of relying on the private sector to provide social housing has been totally ineffective.

The health solution is there, (slaintecare) they just wont implement it, Christ alone knows why

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It was a swipe surely, considering that thime clean up involved waterways Ireland and Dublin City Council I can easily see why he said it

He said it as he thought there was political capital in it and that it could damage a FF election candidate

It backfired on him

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fianna Fáil has never heard of the IMF or boom bust or mass emigration or national bankruptcy.

You'd think butter wouldn't melt the way they are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    He said it as he thought there was political capital in it and that it could damage a FF election candidate

It backfired on him

I don't know, it enraged MM, I'd be happy with that.

• Advertisement

Martin wasn't enraged, the narrative in the media is,it was point scoring by Leo. Only one comes out of this looking bad is Leo. Martin took the high moral ground when saying ' that's now he does politics'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Sick of the homeless issue being given so much attention while affordable housing which affects far more people is ignored. Homeless people are those literally living in tents (as opposed to hotels) but the main issues for these peoe are addiction issues and not housing issues. The media are pathetic in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

But all this is media driven.

What does this expression even mean media driven as opposed to what?

To be fair he wasn't enraged. He was incredulous. He left it hanging pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A man is seriously injured and you say this? Politics..... no humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Graces7 wrote: »
    A man is seriously injured and you say this? Politics..... no humanity

He doesn't do empathy well at all

Very robotic and scripted in how he comes off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I believe this is the Green party, cashing in on the bolloxogy and the image of a pop culture trend lol :pac: its sad

EOJ4EO9XkAEa0q9?format=jpg&name=medium

I believe this is the Green party, cashing in on the bolloxogy and the image of a pop culture trend lol :pac: its sad

Unless the car is electric, would this be considered hypocrisy?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Unless the car is electric, would this be considered hypocrisy?

That looks like an older model Qashqai - So definitely not electric/hybrid and probably a 1.8L/2L Diesel as most of them were.

Oh dear...

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That looks like an older model Qashqai - So definitely not electric/hybrid and probably a 1.8L/2L Diesel as most of them were.

Oh dear...

Ah well in keeping with the Greens so, they did change the motor tax system to favour diesels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

scrumqueen wrote: »

The health solution is there, (slaintecare) they just wont implement it, Christ alone knows why
    It could be that it being a ten year plan you can't see much in the way of results yet. Need the primary care to work first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ah well in keeping with the Greens so, they did change the motor tax system to favour diesels.

To be fair that seemed to be the way to go at the time. Anyway there is more that electric there is LPG, Biofuel and Hydrogen.

He doesn't do empathy well at all

Very robotic and scripted in how he comes off

No, robotic and scripted is Enda all day long.

To be fair to Leo, I think he does tries to be himself most of the time and not 'act' the gombeen politician that we are so well used to. I think he does have empathy but he can be like a fish out of water in forced encounters that we generally get in election campaigns. That is not to excuse the mayor gaffe.

I was sickened at the sight of MMartin bringing out a baby to the press yesterday. That's not mature politics.

Enda spent 25 years living and working in Dublin city centre but only noticed homeless people in 2014....
    https://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-out-until-2am-1816635-Dec2014/

I do not agree with racial attacks on Leo no matter what has happened. I suspect that is coming from the fringe elements of SF and PBP.

No, robotic and scripted is Enda all day long.

To be fair to Leo, I think he does tries to be himself most of the time and not 'act' the gombeen politician that we are so well used to. I think he does have empathy but he can be like a fish out of water in forced encounters that we generally get in election campaigns. That is not to excuse the mayor gaffe.

I was sickened at the sight of MMartin bringing out a baby to the press yesterday. That's not mature politics.

Enda spent 25 years living and working in Dublin city centre but only noticed homeless people in 2014....
    https://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-out-until-2am-1816635-Dec2014/

Don't look at Hugh Connells Twitter feed from yesterday so if the sight of a politician holding a baby annoys you. Although
    Leo looked as uncomfortable as the baby did tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I heard Leo describe us as wealthy country, yet in the 30's without a pot to p*ss in this country built vast tracts of public housing. Examples of these schemes can be seen all over the country. Yet despite our supposed wealth we can't do it now.

Did you ever see Tallaght back in the 1970s/ 80s? It was like a third world country - housing estates & blocks interspersed with patches of grass and mud. The occasional concrete complex with a few small shops with iron bars over the windows. That was the reality of 'cheap housing'.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Did you ever see Tallaght back in the 1970s/ 80s? It was like a third world country - housing estates & blocks interspersed with patches of grass and mud. The occasional concrete complex with a few small shops with iron bars over the windows. That was the reality of 'cheap housing'.

Not familiar with Tallaght of the 70/80's but I am familiar with schemes that were built in the 30/40/50's. Athlone, Galway,Kilkenny, Thurles, Roscrea. Yes cheap housing but solid and home to many families who were grateful for them. There was bad decisions made about social housing in the 70's particularly in parts of Dublin, I agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Surely that's a photoshop job?? No one could be that stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    The problem with an AB vote as it can lead to buyer's remorse as you're not actually voting for anything. Not being one of the above should not be the reason to choose them.

Try voting FG in 2011. Talk about your buyers remorse.
    It's AB with good reason. It's more valid than 'vote FF or FG because otherwise you're wasting your vote' as we hear some shills promote.

hots wrote: »
    Surely that's a photoshop job?? No one could be that stupid?

Their party leader wants to reintroduce the wolf to the Irish countryside, you were saying about stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd cap allowances at 2 kids and evict anyone not paying rent. I'd also make social housing available to any worker not earning enough to rent. I'd also make sure nobody stayed in them once the market cooled enough.
    But folk keep voting FG and expecting changes ;)

What are the other options? SF want to take people out of DP and put them in council houses. I'd love to know where they have their magic money tree planted.

Advertisement