Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I think the USC is prehaps one of the most just taxes there is
    USC is a progressive tax, a universal tax is like VAT or saying the tax rate is 20% for everyone

Is there any where to see a list of candidates running in your constituency? I've tried Googling but can't see anything.

Candidates are still registering to run

• Registered Users Posts: 24,403 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

USC is a progressive tax, a universal tax is like VAT or saying the tax rate is 20% for everyone

nobody said that though

nor is that ever possible in Ireland

Income tax and PRSI are progressive taxes

A flat 3/4% on everyone's income before being subjected to progressive taxation means that everyone pays something but the more you earn - the more you pay when all taxation is taken into consideration.

Why shouldn't everyone pay something into society? Especially when lower income earners benefit disproportionately from social programs.

But feel free to misrepresent me again with "saying the tax rate is 20% for everyone"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

With the man injured the other day and this:
    222 homeless people died over the past four years, DHRE finds

The latest figures show that 222 homeless people died over the past four years, according to statistics from the Dublin Regional Homeless Executive (DHRE).

They show that deaths decreased from 65 in 2016 to 34 in 2019 although the total number of homeless adults in Dublin has increased by around 43% in that period.

The DHRE said the figures are still being processed so are classed as "unverified".

Can't see this issue going away anytime soon.

lawred2 wrote: »
    nobody said that though

nor is that ever possible in Ireland

Income tax and PRSI are progressive taxes

A flat 3/4% on everyone's income before being subjected to progressive taxation means that everyone pays something but the more you earn - the more you pay when all taxation is taken into consideration.

Why shouldn't everyone pay something into society? Especially when lower income earners benefit disproportionately from social programs.

But feel free to misrepresent me again with "saying the tax rate is 20% for everyone"

I wasn't replying to you or even thinking of your posts when I replied . Didn't intend to misrepresent you . Sorry about that.

As too your point. Why shouldn't everyone pay? Simple not everyone can afford to pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Water John wrote: »
    Gross tax take, should not exceed 50%.

Nobody in Ireland pays 50% effective income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Geuze wrote: »
    Nobody in Ireland pays 50% effective income tax.

we know! Defence of an outrageous rate over a pittance of an income, incoming :rolleyes:

we have no military spend, a still relatively young population (meaning we dont have the burden of huge numbers of pensioners (yet), multinationals giving us a lot of money. We charge an insane rate of income tax at a ridiculously low entry point. If someone is being bent over, someone is benefiting massively. I wonder who...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

222 homeless people died over the past four years, DHRE finds

I would like to find the link to the original article. However, it does raise an interesting point about statistics.

The death rate in Ireland is 6.3/1,000 people in any given year.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsar/vitalstatisticsannualreport2017/deaths2017/

Over four years, you would expect to find 25.2 people dead for every 1,000 people.

https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/about-homelessness/

This article says that there are 10,448 people homeless in Ireland. Therefore, if homeless people were dying at the same rate as the population as a whole, you would expect 263 homeless people to have died over the last four years. However, in the headline you refer to, only 222 have died over the last four years.

This may be for a number of reasons. It may be because there is a different age and health profile of homeless people, i.e. they are younger and healthier than the population at large. It may be that the monitoring by the homelessness services ensures that the number of premature deaths are reduced. It may be that the number of homeless people is over-stated by the likes of Focus Ireland.

For whatever reason, it does appear counter-intuitive that deaths among homeless people occur at a rate less than deaths among the population at large. A curious finding and as I said, I would like a link to the original article. Other than its curiosity, I am not sure whether the statistic tells us anything very much about the homeless in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Perhaps to be sure keep car tax at was suggested 500 diesel 300 petrol and 150 electric and also increase fossils by 15c per litre and 1c per kilowatt?

I wasn't replying to you or even thinking of your posts when I replied . Didn't intend to misrepresent you . Sorry about that.

As too your point. Why shouldn't everyone pay? Simple not everyone can afford to pay

There is a point around the idea that the connection between paying taxation and receiving services has been lost, and that a minimal amount of tax, say 2% should be charged on all income including welfare to show the link. While all pay VAT, it is rarely visible to the payer.

To help the lower-paid and those on the minimum wage, they could increase by 2% in the year that they are introduced.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is a point around the idea that the connection between paying taxation and receiving services has been lost, and that a minimal amount of tax, say 2% should be charged on all income including welfare to show the link. While all pay VAT, it is rarely visible to the payer.

To help the lower-paid and those on the minimum wage, they could increase by 2% in the year that they are introduced.

I honestly don't see the point of this. Seems like a lot of effort to potentially solve a problem that may or may not exist

I don’t see the relevance of this post. People die every day, whether they’ve homes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The homeless on the streets is not a crisis. It is being bigged up big time. They will always be with us sadly. And despite ALL the Charities and soup runs and hostels it will remain. That doesn't mean I don't care, but realistically it is impossible to give a house/hub/hostel to everyone in a tent or sleeping in a doorway, and perhaps many of them won't want that either.

I do however agree that people who are working and contributing should be able to buy a property for themselves. It may be possible outside Dublin but it is very tough within the commuter belt now. I agree that some radical thinking is needed here.

But to expect everyone to contribute to house those who are not contributing is a farce, and that is what is getting people's backs up. They see magnificent apartments in prime areas being allocated to Cluid and so on. Whilst people's own children don't qualify for same, but yet they are all paying and contributing (yes I know the tenants will pay rent, but still).

So who said FG were right of centre and all for the working person? They need to get back to basics and look after their core vote for starters.

My deepest apologies for the rant. I could not help it. And I welcome corrections to my thoughts aswell.

I don’t see the relevance of this post. People die every day, whether they’ve homes or not.

It's an election issue in an election thread. Maybe not of interest to you but that's okay Mary.

It's an election issue in an election thread. Maybe not of interest to you but that's okay Mary.

Housing might be an issue. People dying in tragic circumstances, yes. But people dying is an every day occurrence, same as babies being born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Curious how Direct Provision centres and asylum seekers were all the rage there for many, many months leading up the announcement of this election. Almost nightly reports from RTE on the plight of various asylum seekers and how racist we all were for objecting to house them in under-resourced rural villages.

And now, not a peep out of the government or RTE on this "pressing" issue. Wonder did they stop applying for asylum once the election date was announced? Or is this something that the Government and RTE does not want discussed as an election topic?

Unless hundreds of homeless people died as a direct result of them being homeless, it's a non issue.
    People die everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I would like to find the link to the original article. However, it does raise an interesting point about statistics.

The death rate in Ireland is 6.3/1,000 people in any given year.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsar/vitalstatisticsannualreport2017/deaths2017/

Over four years, you would expect to find 25.2 people dead for every 1,000 people.

https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/about-homelessness/

This article says that there are 10,448 people homeless in Ireland. Therefore, if homeless people were dying at the same rate as the population as a whole, you would expect 263 homeless people to have died over the last four years. However, in the headline you refer to, only 222 have died over the last four years.

This may be for a number of reasons. It may be because there is a different age and health profile of homeless people, i.e. they are younger and healthier than the population at large. It may be that the monitoring by the homelessness services ensures that the number of premature deaths are reduced. It may be that the number of homeless people is over-stated by the likes of Focus Ireland.

For whatever reason, it does appear counter-intuitive that deaths among homeless people occur at a rate less than deaths among the population at large. A curious finding and as I said, I would like a link to the original article. Other than its curiosity, I am not sure whether the statistic tells us anything very much about the homeless in Ireland.

The reason for that would be that on average homeless people would be younger than the general population.

Housing might be an issue. People dying in tragic circumstances, yes. But people dying is an every day occurrence, same as babies being born.

So is people buying and selling houses, getting and losing jobs. Where are you going with this?
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Unless hundreds of homeless people died as a direct result of them being homeless, it's a non issue.
    People die everyday

You disagree, homelessness is not an election issue?

smurgen wrote: »
    The reason for that would be that on average homeless people would be younger than the general population.

That is an argument, but can you tell us how much younger. Until that information is available, there is no hard evidence that deaths among the homeless are statistically different to deaths among the rest of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So is people buying and selling houses, getting and losing jobs. Where are you going with this?

The new version i.e. everyone in temporary accommodation, might be, the plight of those on the street less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

your man giving mary lou a hard time on the 6.01 there

is_that_so wrote: »
    The new version i.e. everyone in temporary accommodation, might be, the plight of those on the street less so.

Japers, it's an election issue. Mentioned it because it's in the news again. It's not going away.

Did FG ever get around updating the whistleblower protection laws in the end after the unsuccessfully tried to bury Marice McCabe or is it business as usual?

That is an argument, but can you tell us how much younger. Until that information is available, there is no hard evidence that deaths among the homeless are statistically different to deaths among the rest of the population.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mortality-rates-up-to-10-times-higher-for-homeless-people-900717.html

As FG would tell ya I'm sure our homeless mortality rates are probably in line with general western Europe mortality rates. So comforting when they say stuff like that.

Homelessness may be, people dying is not!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Homelessness may be, people dying is not!

The article was on the number of their grouping died. People get in accidents all the time too. Showing it's back in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They'll take a branch off of FGs, (see NCH, IW, Reillys clinics, sweet deal at a loss to the tax payer etc. as proof they can find it when they want).
    Maybe charge vulture funds a higher tax rate? Stop spending on 25 year leases? Stop paying for hotels? Stop buying social housing?

Building en masse is cheaper and leaves us with housing stock over and above leasing for 25 years and paying private landlords and vulture funds.

If all any party does is sit on their hands but build social and affordable, they'll solve the housing crisis to the benefit of hard pressed tax payers.

And when Ireland is over run with “asylum seekers”, each with their own council house who will pay for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah, look I dont think it massively mattered who was at the helm for the tiger boom, the tiger crash, the recovery etc. You would have gotten virtually the same outcome, whether it was FF or FG. HOWEVER I do believe FG are less likely to ruin us again, the place is already booking economy wise, even though many dont feel it, we absolutely do not need FF pouring petrol on the flames!

they jack up welfare etc, **** hits fan and then it all has to be cut again, the endless debate, waffle , finger pointing! We have tried, FF , we have tried FG, we have had FFG. FG are the marginally less **** IMO and as for the others that make up the dail, they are the worst of them all!

Let FF in. There’s a global recession in the pipeline. Then hopefully whoever gets in next actually listens to the IMF and cuts social welfare to the bone. Cut waste to the bone. Actually follow their advice.

Advertisement