Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Your energy and vote would be better used to push for improved health, transport and housing. The 'scabs' on the dole are costing you pennies the issues I listed are costing you thousands

That’s why disability is the new thing. You can’t complain about people on DA because they are “vulnerable”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The homeless on the streets is not a crisis. It is being bigged up big time. They will always be with us sadly. And despite ALL the Charities and soup runs and hostels it will remain. That doesn't mean I don't care, but realistically it is impossible to give a house/hub/hostel to everyone in a tent or sleeping in a doorway, and perhaps many of them won't want that either.

I do however agree that people who are working and contributing should be able to buy a property for themselves. It may be possible outside Dublin but it is very tough within the commuter belt now. I agree that some radical thinking is needed here.

But to expect everyone to contribute to house those who are not contributing is a farce, and that is what is getting people's backs up. They see magnificent apartments in prime areas being allocated to Cluid and so on. Whilst people's own children don't qualify for same, but yet they are all paying and contributing (yes I know the tenants will pay rent, but still).

So who said FG were right of centre and all for the working person? They need to get back to basics and look after their core vote for starters.

My deepest apologies for the rant. I could not help it. And I welcome corrections to my thoughts aswell.
    Or the luxury apartments in Dundrum rented by the council. The entire block. Some should have market rents up to 3k a month. They can stay there for as good As free. Not work. Meanwhile people commute up to an hour and a half to work in Dundrum town centre. Sandyford, leopardstown etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Or the luxury apartments in Dundrum rented by the council. The entire block. Some should have market rents up to 3k a month. They can stay there for as good As free. Not work. Meanwhile people commute up to an hour and a half to work in Dundrum town centre. Sandyford, leopardstown etc

What that is it fg turning public funds into private profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And when Ireland is over run with “asylum seekers”, each with their own council house who will pay for that?

Separate issue entirely.
    Let FF in. There’s a global recession in the pipeline. Then hopefully whoever gets in next actually listens to the IMF and cuts social welfare to the bone. Cut waste to the bone. Actually follow their advice.

If we cut welfare it'll need be made up for in other ways. People should be only getting the welfare they need and are due. If they are due and get more than they need, that's an issue.
    Well if Irish Water and Reilly's clinics and more recently the NCH (and likely broadband) didn't tell you all you need to know about waste, I can see why people on welfare might seem like low hanging fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »
    What that is it fg turning public funds into private profits.

Exactly. Blaming the ones placed there is pointless. It's like Margret Cash, Dara Murphy and Denis O'Brien. Three examples of people doing absolutely nothing illegal. Taking advantage of what's on offer. If we don't like it, who should we look to?

• Advertisement

Exactly. Blaming the ones placed there is pointless. It's like Margret Cash, Dara Murphy and Denis O'Brien. Three examples of people doing absolutely nothing illegal. Taking advantage of what's on offer. If we don't like it, who should we look to?

The one thing they all have in common is fine Gael. Who are essential facilitating them to fleece the public purse.

As FG would tell ya I'm sure our homeless mortality rates are probably in line with general western Europe mortality rates. So comforting when they say stuff like that.

Shur, don’t let facts get in the way of a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,396 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is there a method to vote if not in the country Feb 8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

walshb wrote: »

Not sure if this is of help.

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/council-and-democracy/voting-elections-and-register-of-electors/postal-voters-and-voters-with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Would it be a good idea that those who have social housing and are involved in repeated criminality lose that housing in their area.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea that those who have social housing and are involved in repeated criminality lose that housing in their area.

How would that work exactly? If the man of the house is a career criminal, you would suggest throwing the whole family out?
    Don't think that would work!

bubblypop wrote: »
    How would that work exactly? If the man of the house is a career criminal, you would suggest throwing the whole family out?
    Don't think that would work!

They could go on the housing list in another area or emergency accommodation. The free property then could house a homeless family. Maybe a better penalty that prison for the career criminal.

They could go on the housing list in another area or emergency accommodation. The free property then could house a homeless family. Maybe a better penalty that prison for the career criminal.

So you would punish the family for the criminality of one? Thought it was only the Israelis that advocate collective punishment.

Yes, I guess I would. The 'punishment' is being moved out of where the criminal activity is happening and as a consequence of it their choice. The benefit is that a law abiding family would no longer be homeless, does the non criminal deserve to be homeless and the criminal secure and supported by the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

That’s why disability is the new thing. You can’t complain about people on DA because they are “vulnerable”

And of course you know better than several doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If as the evening news contends, FF and FG are neck and neck in the polls going into next week, it will be interesting to see what the 'Sean Gallagher' moment will be for them, because I have no doubt it will come. There will be one for FG too.

The party's are so alike it will be the only thing that separates them in the end.
    My money is on Michael to maintain the teflon streak he seems to have developed this last while.

Yes, I guess I would. The 'punishment' is being moved out of where the criminal activity is happening and as a consequence of it their choice. The benefit is that a law abiding family would no longer be homeless, does the non criminal deserve to be homeless and the criminal secure and supported by the state?

All I can get from your comments is you would happily punish all for the sins of one. Slippery slope tbh.

You could be right. The Government in power will be blamed for any thing that goes wrong in the lead up to the election as well.

All I can get from your comments is you would happily punish all for the sins of one. Slippery slope tbh.

Well I am happy to move a criminal away from his crime patch and very happy to rehouse an ordinary family. The alternative is what is happening in some estates where a criminal minority think they can do as they please as shown by recent events and terrorise the ordinary families.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

And when Ireland is over run with “asylum seekers”, each with their own council house who will pay for that?

And when Ireland is over run with mole people each with their own council house who will pay for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If as the evening news contends, FF and FG are neck and neck in the polls going into next week, it will be interesting to see what the 'Sean Gallagher' moment will be for them, because I have no doubt it will come. There will be one for FG too.

The party's are so alike it will be the only thing that separates them in the end.
    My money is on Michael to maintain the teflon streak he seems to have developed this last while.

I'm not convinced they're neck and neck tbh, especially not if you look at the bookies odds, who never be that far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm not convinced they're neck and neck tbh, especially not if you look at the bookies odds, who never be that far off the mark.

I think there's only a nasty scandal between them tbh.

Just wondering what it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think there's only a nasty scandal between them tbh.

Just wondering what it will be.

RjZJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

And when Ireland is over run with mole people each with their own council house who will pay for that?

is it odd to say that in this thread so far that 'Banks' have no been addressed? or maybe, barely mentioned.

anyhows, just was the selling off of council housing in the first place, a mistake?

if Smaller council estates were built (as opposed to the massive conurbations built in Dublin in the 1940's, 1950's.... and even maybe west Dublin in the 1970's); if smaller estates were built and kept in perpetuity as civic, Christian, housing for the poor; and 'on the understanding' to the very poor that this is given to them as 'Non-Monetary Aid'; and if then these people then managed to be in even relatively stable employment; that they would then buy away from/off of, these smaller council estates; and thus, free-up a house for the very poor.

Also, are too many of the newer builds private estates now, of housing just too big; and too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,075 ✭✭✭✭L1011

walshb wrote: »

For 99% of circumstances, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,403 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

McMurphy wrote: »
    RjZJ.gif

Mesmerizing

Think she's out cold

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Japers, it's an election issue. Mentioned it because it's in the news again. It's not going away.

Housing and health apparently are what people are talking about and there's a suggestion that it will come down to Leo v Michael.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-martin-contest-to-dominate-election-ff-and-fg-say-1.4143322

is_that_so wrote: »

Another solicitor. Probably threaten to sue all round her like Madigan.

• Advertisement

Another solicitor. Probably threaten to sue all round her like Madigan.
    Barrister actually, different class!

Advertisement