Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    FF will soon be singing
    "Well hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart"

Fianna Fáil won't need to go anywhere near Sinn Féin if they get 32% of the vote. There are enough coalition options between the Greens, Labour, Soc Dem's and Fianna Fáil gene-pool Independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted to see Fine Gael take a thumping.

Serves the smug and arrogant Varadkar right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

FF will soon be singing
    "Well hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart"

I thought they already ruled that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

gmisk wrote: »

I don't think they will - but never say never, especially in FFland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ricero wrote: »
    Delighted to see Fine Gael take a thumping.

Serves the smug and arrogant Varadkar right.

I don't like the lad, but I suspect Leo doesn't really give a ****. He got to the pinnacle of a politician's aspiration here, so onwards and upwards. Big EU calling for Leo unless he decides to take year out and find himself in India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

gmisk wrote: »

It is sure both FF and FG had an argument this week over who ruled it out the most

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

FF on 32% in tomorrow's poll, I'm not a bit surprised, I'm living in a rural area in Co Limerick, in the local pub tonight and the election was being discussed, all in the group of 12 are voting FF, the local TD is a good man for the area, good to get a job done, etc etc and the RIC/Tan contervery has turned FG voters off big time

GoneHome wrote: »
    FF on 32% in tomorrow's poll, I'm not a bit surprised, I'm living in a rural area in Co Limerick, in the local pub tonight and the election was being discussed, all in the group of 12 are voting FF, the local TD is a good man for the area, good to get a job done, etc etc and the RIC/Tan contervery has turned FG voters off big time

Well to be honest, anyone that wants to celebrate the Tans deserves a kick in the hole. It looks like FG are getting that kick although I wonder is it solely down to their love in with the Tans.

Well to be honest, anyone that wants to celebrate the Tans deserves a kick in the hole. It looks like FG are getting that kick although I wonder is it solely down to their love in with the Tans.

Well of that group I was talking to tonight they were aged from early 20s to early 70s and I few of them would have be loyal blue shirt voters all their lives (or a family history of blue shirts) and all of them this time are voting for the FF candidate

Well of that group I was talking to tonight they were aged from early 20s to early 70s and I few of them would have be loyal blue shirt voters all their lives (or a family history of blue shirts) and all of them this time are voting for the FF candidate

I knew it was a serious f*** up before a GE but I'm surprised it was this bad .

• Advertisement

I knew it was a serious f*** up before a GE but I'm surprised it was this bad .

It was a big f""k up for them, especially in rural areas I reckon, there's a big country outside Dublin but Leo doesn't seem to realise that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes and probably SDs. Should be a fair few independents of that persuasion too if required. Along with a smattering of the dreaded 'FF gene poolers', naming no family dynasties...

The SD's will return about 2 maybe 3 TD's. Labour may get 7 or less. Greens maybe ten. All in about 20 seats. FF must get min 60 for that to work and its mighty tight at that. That is where the Healy-Raes come in. Still tight.

Greens and Healy-Raes in the same government, that will be funny.
    Fianna Fáil won't need to go anywhere near Sinn Féin if they get 32% of the vote. There are enough coalition options between the Greens, Labour, Soc Dem's and Fianna Fáil gene-pool Independents.

I think FF will be in the high 50's mark. Will be very unstable though. How you can please them all in a program for government, especially when the Greens will want a radical reform on things like the Carbon tax and agriculture, something that will be poison for many rural FF TD's. It will not be boring anyway.

markodaly wrote: »

That would be some craic alright, personally speaking I wouldn't give the Greens the last number on ballot sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That would be some craic alright, personally speaking I wouldn't give the Greens the last number on ballot sheet

Nothing for the Rainbow Coalition in this house either, ie Greens and Black & Tans.

Are doctor's investigating this case of mass amnesia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Are doctor's investigating this case of mass amnesia?
    No, because the doctors are too busy working in massively overcrowded GP practices all over the country or under-resourced A&E departments in a horribly run HSE system, which Fine Gael had the opportunity to overhaul while in power for 10 years.

Kivaro wrote: »
    No, because the doctors are too busy working in massively overcrowded GP practices all over the country or under-resourced A&E departments in a horribly run HSE system, which Fine Gael had the opportunity to overhaul while in power for 10 years.

Which was set up by FF, had its funding cut because FF ruined the economy and was supported by FF under S&C but of course considering the alternatives isn't a runner for 54% of the population for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

markodaly wrote: »
    The SD's will return about 2 maybe 3 TD's. Labour may get 7 or less. Greens maybe ten. All in about 20 seats. FF must get min 60 for that to work and its mighty tight at that. That is where the Healy-Raes come in. Still tight.

Well we had it before with a previous H-R generation, seemed to work okay. The remnants of the Independent Alliance and a handful of 'sensible left' Inds like Catherine Connolly and Thomas Pringle could also come into the picture. Indeed when you think about it, the vast bulk of the Dail outside of FG and SF could be seen as potential backers of an FF-led coalition...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

And ff will do better?? Ff and fg are as bad as each other.
    And those that vote for them are worse. Fkn clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Billcarson wrote: »
    And ff will do better?? Ff and fg are as bad as each other.
    And those that vote for them are worse. Fkn clowns.
    I have an extreme dislike for Fine Gael. This is due to numerous reasons including the lies they told us about looking after the early risers, their policies that are virtue signalling driven as the behest of a tiny minority in Ireland, their mismanagement of the country at a time when the economy is booming, and the biggest issue that I have with them is how detached they are from the regular people on the street. Flanagan's proposal to honour the RIC and other British occupation units is appalling, as his determination to force direct provision centres on to small under-resourced rural communities all around Ireland just shows his and his Fine Gael's colleagues' disdain for us all.

My extreme dislike for Fianna Fail is 0.0000000001% less than for Fine Gael. Until there is a suitable political alternative for the majority of the country, we have very little choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Speaking of clowns , what was Catherine Murphy thinking with her election poster. I saw it for the first time this morning and was sure someone tampered with it - her eyebrows are up in an arch and she has tons of makeup in the gap - making her look like a clown from a distance. (I'm not implying she is a clown in any sense of the word , just the optics of her poster is terrible)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is the quick election to sabotage smaller parties? it seems a bit underhand given posters by FG and FF were up that evening they called it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    is the quick election to sabotage smaller parties? it seems a bit underhand given posters by FG and FF were up that evening they called it

The smaller parties had them up the same day too.

My extreme dislike for Fianna Fail is 0.0000000001% less than for Fine Gael. Until there is a suitable political alternative for the majority of the country, we have very little choice.

What do you suggest would be a suitable alternative? There is no space for an other party on the mainstream right and you've loads of choices to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What do you suggest would be a suitable alternative? There is no space for an other party on the mainstream right and you've loads of choices to the left.

There is no centre right party. Fg have been dragged into centre.

FF had the best opportunity to do something with the health system. The country was loaded, what did they do? Gave away free money to everyone in the audience!
    We should have a world class system in this country, instead it's disgraceful, sending people overseas for treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Right now, Labour could have been the alternative to the FF/FG axis which has had Ireland by the balls since forever.

In 2011, they should have stayed out of govt and helped forced the type of conf/supply govt we've had since 2016.
    FF's rump 2011 20 TDs supporting their brothers and sisters in FG as punishment for their sins and in support of getting the kip back on its feet and for once and for all amalgamate.

Because the only difference between the two is what strain of cute hoor gets to make the most money out of their time at the wheel - that is the only major difference between the two - like two rival clubs taking their turn to pocket the prize money.

Look at Labour now...polling indicates they cannot even improve on their miserable performance 4 years ago and the main opposition party is another populist one, SF.

My only hope is the combined FF/FG vote further declines as it has been doing since 2011 from the disastrous highs of ~ 60%-80% in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads we are all angry at fg for turning their backs on workers. Ff are going to do nothing for workers and have said as much. A vote for them is cutting off your nose to spite your face... you’ll vote for ff throwing more at welfare and public servants and private workers the pawn paying it all in their quest for more votes... they can do one. My memory isn’t that short

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My only hope is the combined FF/FG vote further declines as it has been doing since 2011 from the disastrous highs of ~ 60%-80% in the past.

Wouldn't put much money on this. FF are clearly going to gain significantly and I doubt FG will lose enough to 'compensate'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads we are all angry at fg for turning their backs on workers. Ff are going to do nothing for workers and have said as much. A vote for them is cutting off your nose to spite your face... you’ll vote for ff throwing more at welfare and public servants and private workers the pawn paying it all in their quest for more votes... they can do one. My memory isn’t that short

Well said. The choices on offer aren't great. I cannot forget where FF brought us the last time. Not upping the marginal rate was a kick in the teeth for the squeezed middle by FG. Brexit was a lame excuse.

Will probably give my vote to FG but only because the other alternatives are worse. That's the sad state of Irish politics.

Advertisement