Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think more or less every party has signed up to Sláintecare.

Be very afraid if some party pulls a brand new health reform policy out of their back pocket in this election campaign.
    They won't. Slaintecare is a 10 year programme, which has barely started, so it would look like dumb opportunism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote: »
    MM's major claim to fame in Health was setting up the HSE I'd have thought.

Matter of opinion I guess, but personally I believe the smoking ban was one the most important health policies in the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you want actual ideas on transport look here https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1218104865852985344?s=19

why don't that group just call themselves 'angry cyclists' and save us all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I believe that viable alternatives at a reasonable cost should be encouraged, if it was easier or cheaper to go to work on public transport, people would. At the moment your and many others solution is just to extract more money from people who either cannot afford to change their ways or for whome there is no alternative.

No alternative or just not looking for them? Are people going to never change their vehicles?

Increasing fossil fuel cost will make public transport cheaper by comparison and discourage heavy use.

It is head in the sand thinking that we leave fossil fuel cost as it is.

By the way I am of course in favour of better public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I believe that viable alternatives at a reasonable cost should be encouraged, if it was easier or cheaper to go to work on public transport, people would. At the moment your and many others solution is just to extract more money from people who either cannot afford to change their ways or for whome there is no alternative.

Nice little cash grab for green minded folks, they miss the point that not everyone who needs to use a car for transport can afford to buy new.

The second hand market for EVs would not even come close to the need that's there.

I do hope we see politicians who think like this vocalize it so they can be destroyed.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    No alternative or just not looking for them? Are people going to never change their vehicles?

Increasing fossil fuel cost will make public transport cheaper by comparison and discourage heavy use.

but the answer is not suffer the cost now, we probably have 10-15 years to correctly figure this out, let EV's naturally populate new and used car sales, work on providing public transport and then slowly introduce measures to get the rest of the people swapped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You keep pushing this angle that people just aren't using the alternatives to driving and that's the problem.

Take myself..

Priced out of Dublin for rent but still working on the outskirts so my choice would be to share with random people (not a great thing in your 40s), or move further out.

Driving in takes me about 55 minutes each way and gives the flexibility of rerouting mid-route if there's an accident on the motorway.

The "alternatives" would be an already crowded coach or train (neither of which are cheap either) into Dublin city centre, and then a bus/train back out to the office. Total time :minimum 2.5 hours and then the same in the evening.

That's not including actually working! But that's what your advocating. The inbound motorways are filled with similar stories each day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Very few Eric, and no more so than in beds.

Speak to medical professionals and they will tell you they are sick to their teeth with the media obsession with trolleys. They care about patient outcomes - of which there is no evidence that patients on a trolley are more at risk.

My oh my. You've said some idiotic things in the past but this takes the biscuit. How can you represent medical professionals with this stupidity and get away with it?

I posted a link to an interview just last week where Regina Doherty (FG) got ripped apart by an A&E consultant over the trolley crisis. The doctor said repeatedly that it was much more difficult to treat patients on trolleys in comparison to treating someone with their own bed. Trolleys are often parked in parallel rows in A&E corridors so she said it was difficult to examine someone with any privacy and it was difficult to move around the patient to make a detailed examination. Patients are always highlighting that they get forgotten in A&E due to overcrowding, especially during shift changes. Ah there is no point in explaining that to you, you just make up stupid nonsense to deflect. It's amusing how Cartman actually thanked that guff.

I'll find the interview link for you.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112224179&postcount=598
    A few others heard it too.
    Radio 1, Saturday 11th Jan. Cormac Ó hEadhra

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Calhoun wrote: »
    Nice little cash grab for green minded folks, they miss the point that not everyone who needs to use a car for transport can afford to buy new.

The second hand market for EVs would not even come close to the need that's there.
    They have legs do they not??

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You keep pushing this angle that people just aren't using the alternatives to driving and that's the problem.

Take myself..

Priced out of Dublin for rent but still working on the outskirts so my choice would be to share with random people (not a great thing in your 40s), or move further out.

Driving in takes me about 55 minutes each way and gives the flexibility of rerouting mid-route if there's an accident on the motorway.

The "alternatives" would be an already crowded coach or train (neither of which are cheap either) into Dublin city centre, and then a bus/train back out to the office. Total time :minimum 2.5 hours and then the same in the evening.

That's not including actually working! But that's what your advocating. The inbound motorways are filled with similar stories each day.

You just don't understand, 2.5 hours commute should be good enough for you as you didn't purchase a house within the public transport network range like our hero above.

They had the self righteous forward thinking to ensure that they would not have this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

but the answer is not suffer the cost now, we probably have 10-15 years to correctly figure this out, let EV's naturally populate new and used car sales, work on providing public transport and then slowly introduce measures to get the rest of the people swapped over.

That would be the sensible way to go about it..but as sure as God made green apple's, it won't be done like that. Instead the Govt ( which ever one of 'em get's in) will use it to leverage even more cash out of people. :mad:

They have legs do they not??

Indeed the do and how selfish of them, instead of a one hour commute they should walk for 17 hours.

'The inbound motorways are filled with similar stories each day. '

Surely a great argument to change now and reduce traffic, we can't wait 5 years not to talk of 10!

An increase now will push this changeover now, not hope for a slow never never change no pain approach.

Surely a great argument to change now and reduce traffic, we can't wait 5 years not to talk of 10!

An increase now will push this changeover now, not hope for a slow never never change no pain approach.

What party honestly has the balls to do this? The greens are still recovering, they are so afraid of being tagged as the party that taxed everything we have this fluff piece in the independent https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/ill-put-my-hands-up-i-went-to-climate-summit-in-spain-by-plane-green-party-leader-eamon-ryan-38874076.html with the following tagline "Green Party leader Eamon Ryan wants to change the world - without voters having to suffer for it, writes Niamh Horan".

There is never going to be pain with any decision taken but if you don't meet people half way and adopt measures that make it easier/palatable to do then your done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sure, you have some concrete proposals on how to do this now ( aside from taxing the living daylights out of motorists to "Encourage" them to change??????) If there were alternatives available now, why are the motorways chockablock every day?? We are years away from solving this problem.

so you want to reduce traffic by increasing cost and suggesting people replace cars with EV's .

:confused::confused::confused:

no amount of extra tax is going to reduce traffic unless you got to the point of making it not worthwhile for people to go to work at all.

Calhoun wrote: »
    What party honestly has the balls to do this? The greens are still recovering, they are so afraid of being tagged as the party that taxed everything we have this fluff piece in the independent https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/ill-put-my-hands-up-i-went-to-climate-summit-in-spain-by-plane-green-party-leader-eamon-ryan-38874076.html with the following tagline "Green Party leader Eamon Ryan wants to change the world - without voters having to suffer for it, writes Niamh Horan".

There is never going to be pain with any decision taken but if you don't meet people half way and adopt measures that make it easier/palatable to do then your done.

Would the abolition of the current car tax system(s) as sweetener convince you?

so you want to reduce traffic by increasing cost and suggesting people replace cars with EV's .

:confused::confused::confused:

no amount of extra tax is going to reduce traffic unless you got to the point of making it not worthwhile for people to go to work at all.

Some people will opt for other transport as it comes on stream rather than incur the EV cost. No amount of extra tax would reduce traffic? A sensible person would find other ways to commute before it comes to that extreme. Policy shouldn't be dictated by extreme situations.

Would the abolition of the current car tax system(s) as sweetener convince you?

Mate I cannot afford to pay for my daughter to get services she requires for her autism diagnosis what makes you think that 180 euro a year is going to offset the cost of an EV?

Some people will opt for other transport as it comes on stream rather than incur the EV cost. No amount of extra tax would reduce traffic? A sensible person would find other ways to commute before it comes to that extreme. Policy shouldn't be dictated by extreme situations.

And for the 5th time atleast - there are people living in Ireland who do not have alternative transport. There are people in Ireland for whome the nearest rail or bus station is 10,20,30 km + There are towns even with no bus service or not a service that makes it viable to commute. Commuting by car is usually not an active choice people have made.

and i don't mean a handful of people, i mean hundreds of thousands of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So what do FG do now?

How do they get at Martin who seems to me anyhow to have boxed a very clever game.

Will we see it get dirty or will FG try to rest on promote their laurels

I’d be pulling the economic incompetence card and not rewarding workers

And for the 5th time atleast - there are people living in Ireland who do not have alternative transport. There are people in Ireland for whome the nearest rail or bus station is 10,20,30 km + There are towns even with no bus service or not a service that makes it viable to commute. Commuting by car is usually not an active choice people have made.

Your arguing with the wrong type of person, champagne greens who won't be impacted by it, more than likely because they have the cash. Just cannot understand why the peasants are up in arms.

Just read that below. F off FF! Using taxpayers money to buy election. Attacking the party that will take the piss out of the taxpayer the least ? What did that ad cost ? A few thousand? Ff plan on throwing hundreds of millions extra a year of taxpayers money at wasters and waste. I expect fg to get a bit of a rebound, when it becomes clear to some , how ff will actually be worse than fg. Certainly for workers. Get stuffed !

https://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-wage-ad-business-post-4971359-Jan2020/
    Fine Gael accused of 'buying the election' after government advert appears on front page of newspaper

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just read that below. F off FF! Using taxpayers money to buy election. Attacking the party that will take the piss out of the taxpayer the least ? What did that ad cost ? A few thousand? Ff plan on throwing hundreds of millions extra a year of taxpayers money at wasters and waste. I expect fg yo get a bit of a rebound, when it becomes clear to some , how ff will actually be worse than fg. Certainly for workers. Get stuffed !

https://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-wage-ad-business-post-4971359-Jan2020/
    Fine Gael accused of 'buying the election' after government advert appears on front page of newspaper

youve confused things, its FG ran the ad..

I m sure there are some but 10km to a rail link or similar is not very far in the country a nice walk or a very short drive. I believe that people do choose the car as it is seen as a no thought transport solution. There aren't hundreds of thousands that have no alternative far less. If you have figures that challenge that post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I m sure there are some but 10km to a rail link or similar is not very far in the country a nice walk or a very short drive. I believe that people do choose the car as it is seen as a no thought transport solution. There aren't hundreds of thousands that have no alternative far less. If you have figures that challenge that post a link.

Lol 10k a nice walk each morning!

youve confused things, its FG ran the ad..
    Oh I get that. My pint is ff have some gall about wasting taxpayer money. Fg May have taken the piss with rewarding the taxpayer, but ff won’t do anything for them. I know what they will do , they have a magic money tree , the taxpayer. Wait for it to be thrown out like confetti again. Just wait for the bust if they get in , it’s too predictable. And as **** as fg are , if / when ff bring another bust on , it’s too late to complain then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,402 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Better than Leo anyway, Martin's claim to fame in health was the smoking ban. Can't think of one for Leo, maybe you can.

And the HSE

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Lol 10k a nice walk each morning!

It is in the countryside or a very short cycle or jog. You should try it!

• Advertisement

Its starting up again on social media, the self pleasuring and like whoring about how people are so stupid for voting a certain way. Smug on their pedestals thinking they have it all solved.

"We are gluttons for punishment" and all that jazz, one common denominator normally is people who are insulated from **** going really bad.

Advertisement