Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

saabsaab wrote: »
    I m sure there are some but 10km to a rail link or similar is not very far in the country a nice walk or a very short drive. I believe that people do choose the car as it is seen as a no thought transport solution. There aren't hundreds of thousands that have no alternative far less. If you have figures that challenge that post a link.

so they still need a car.....that you want to make more expensive....

how many people are there then

there are 442,669 one off houses in ireland, 98% are outside towns, below is a table of the number of houses by distance to a town.
    1-5 Km 288,494
    5-10 Km 60,948
    10 Km or more 4,635
    and so you have hundreds of thousands of houses that are atleast 1km from a town , atleast 65000 that are too far to cycle from , and thats assuming every town has a bus or train.....which it doesnt....

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/od/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its starting up again on social media, the self pleasuring and like whoring about how people are so stupid for voting a certain way. Smug on their pedestals thinking they have it all solved.

"We are gluttons for punishment" and all that jazz, one common denominator normally is people who are insulated from **** going really bad.

I know it’s idiocy for me , to vote for parties that will support the waste and wasters foremost. That’s all parties , with fg the least of an appalling lot

It is in the countryside or a very short cycle or jog. You should try it!

in the dark with no footpath, each way every day... in the rain, delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

It is in the countryside or a very short cycle or jog. You should try it!

10k cycle might be doable, but that's not going to be a doable walk for many people with no footpaths on narrow roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I know it’s idiocy for me , to vote for parties that will support the waste and wasters foremost. That’s all parties , with fg the least of an appalling lot

Like with Brexit or really any scenario of voting, its up to the opposition to resonate with the electorate and get their point across. Its not just a case as some would like to believe that people are just to stupid to be allowed to vote but they just haven't been provided with a viable alternative.

The Greens and Labour are case in point, look what happened when they were in. SF we don't have to guess as we can look to the North which has just formed a government after not being able to for up to two years and essentially taking them out of any position to be able to influence brexit.

The rest then not allot to say about then other than none of them stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah a coalitions of greens and cranks with a vendetta against the transport mode that the overwhelming majority of irish people choose to use

Great place to look for ideas

Vendetta ? Where did you pull that from? Dublin can't support anymore cars. Something has to change

Fine Gael proposes restrictions on tenants’ right to buy social housing
    Party plans to reduce discount for low earners and return to 10-year minimum tenancy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-proposes-restrictions-on-tenants-right-to-buy-social-housing-1.4143274

Take a read of that. What a banana republic !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

why don't that group just call themselves 'angry cyclists' and save us all time.

Because that wouldn't present who they represent. The majority of people in Dublin city got there by PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

so they still need a car.....that you want to make more expensive....

how many people are there then

there are 442,669 one off houses in ireland, 98% are outside towns, below is a table of the number of houses by distance to a town.

and so you have hundreds of thousands of houses that are atleast 1km from a town , atleast 65000 that are too far to cycle from , and thats assuming every town has a bus or train.....which it doesnt....

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/od/

Still using less fuel than communing the entire way!
    Also by your figures only 5,000 or so 'too far' 10Km is a very short cycle for anybody of reasonable fitness.
    My Grandfather walked 25km to work over mountain paths and bad roads to work most days. Are we turning into a Nation of pure softies?

Party plans to reduce discount for low earners and return to 10-year minimum tenancy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-proposes-restrictions-on-tenants-right-to-buy-social-housing-1.4143274

we shouldnt be letting them sell anyway, the idea that somebody can get a free house in dublin , stay in it for a year , buy it out and presumably sell it after for a huge windfall is insanity.

• Advertisement

we shouldnt be letting them sell anyway, the idea that somebody can get a free house in dublin , stay in it for a year , buy it out and presumably sell it after for a huge windfall is insanity.

My god. It is mind blowing. So they give a house away , then replace it at huge cost ?! Christ. The transfer of wealth from workers and working poor to prop this up , is a total scandal. This **** is even more incredible than I could have imagined !!!

Right to buy, shouldn't be restricted but removed.

Still using less fuel than communing the entire way!
    Also by your figures only 5,000 or so 'too far' 10Km is a very short cycle for anybody of reasonable fitness.
    My Grandfather walked 25km to work over mountain paths and bad roads to work most days. Are we turning into a Nation of pure softies?

Things change, back in your grandfathers generation the country was allot different. The type of person was different and it had its good and bads, his generation would have been the ones that propped up the catholic church, had a drink all the time and gave the wife an auld slap for not having the dinner ready when he got home from work.

Surprisingly how and where we live has changed quite allot and how we commute to work and where work is based has also changed. If you want votes you recognize that and adapt your policy to accommodate or you don't get into power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

bubblypop wrote: »
    FF had the best opportunity to do something with the health system. The country was loaded, what did they do? Gave away free money to everyone in the audience!
    We should have a world class system in this country, instead it's disgraceful, sending people overseas for treatment.

I feel the same about FG and Kenny. Harder to make cuts when the boom is to get boomer, easier when we all know the messing is over and we've no money to waste and hard decisions need be made. Enter Irish Water and looking after our own....

That is insanity. Thankfully it's not reality.

The way it was was fine. You need be there x amount of years and then you get a percentage discount, but can't resell for a set period.
    All of these are open to change and should be restricted during a crisis.
    We give discounts to developers and low tax on vulture funds, the low income tax payer should be more important IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

People won't change their ICE car habits without a reason. The frog in the water story applies here, if the increase in fuel cost is slow and small they will stay as is until it is too late. Better a short sharp increase.

What will commuters do when there is the next oil crisis or war? This could rise the cost per litre by 50c overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Most sensible policy I have seen in years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

My god. It is mind blowing. So they give a house away , then replace it at huge cost ?! Christ. The transfer of wealth from workers and working poor to prop this up , is a total scandal. This **** is even more incredible than I could have imagined !!!

FF policy from years ago.

They sold all our social housing stock for votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Except it’s not true
    They get a discount based on their earnings
    Between previous rent and cost of house they would probably end up paying the market value
    If the house is sold percentage goes back to the council so no profits are made on resale
    People can’t give out about people in ‘their free houses’ milking the system
    But at the same time give out when they improve their situation and take ownership of their homes and lives
    Can’t have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Lackey wrote: »
    But at the same time give out when they improve their situation and take ownership of their homes and lives
    Can’t have it both ways.
    If council tenants want to own their own houses they can do it on the same basis as anyone else whose renting from a private landlord - find a house that is for sale and make an offer.

We've few enough council houses as it is without depleting the stock further.

• Advertisement

Except it’s not true
    Between previous rent and cost of house they would probably end up paying the market value
    If the house is sold percentage goes back to the council so no profits are made on resale
    Can’t have it both ways.

How does previous rent on a property equate to someone paying market value? Council houses aren't rent to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Leos going jailing half of drougheda if he gets back in.did you ever in all your days hear such sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

The unfortunate reality of Irish politics means that things won't really change much regardless of the result of the election. The only alternatives to FG are either FF (more of the same) or the left (even worse). SF's manifesto is a laughable laundry list of giveaways and they're the least insane on the left.

The only options open to me are petty ones, aimed at ousting incumbents that I don't like from their seat. I'm not sure what it will take for this country to veer away from a government led by either FF or FG. If it didn't happen after the crash it probably never will. We like to poke fun at the yanks for their Republican / Democrat system but we're no better ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Most sensible policy I have seen in years

Why?

Except it’s not true
    Can’t have it both ways.

lol. Can I count my previous rent ive paid to landlords ?! Can I go into the bank and ask then to knock that off a mortgage? Or will I ask the seller to take it into account?!

Phoebas wrote: »
    If council tenants want to own their own houses they can do it on the same basis as anyone else whose renting from a private landlord - find a house that is for sale and make an offer.

We've few enough council houses as it is without depleting the stock further.

Great if money is no object.
    Why should workers be renters for life because government help the market stay out of reach, using tax payer money I might add?
    Time will come when only a wealthy few can buy a house.
    We can change the eligibility to buy and place sale restrictions.

Calhoun wrote: »
    How does previous rent on a property equate to someone paying market value? Council houses aren't rent to buy.

If you rent a house for a decade or two, you get a discount on the market value. I think that's fair. We can change that percentage and set time spent renting before trying to buy to whatever we like.

If you rent a house for a decade or two, you get a discount on the market value. I think that's fair. We can change that percentage and set time spent renting before trying to buy to whatever we like.

Why would we give them anything off, isn't the APR on a rent to buy much higher than a traditional mortgage?

I don't understand why we would get rid of housing stock and give discounts off, irregardless of how long they have been living there. Considering the council is responsible for upkeep and maintenance over the years. If the tenants did all of that i could understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

McMurphy wrote: »
    Why?

Because letting people buy council houses, so easily and for so little, has contributed greatly to the lack of social housing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Selling social housing stock to tenants is questionable but i can see the logic of getting someone off the government's books. Selling it at a huge discount is insanity.

Advertisement