Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

They didn't up the threshold by as much by as one euro in the last budget.

IIRC they commited to doing so in an interim budget once they were certain no deal Brexit was avoided.

It suited them as they were planning a May election so they had the January Brexit clarity -> Feb/March throw everyone a tax cut -> April/May go to the polls.

The early election has ruined that plan but I do think they fully intended to do it, it suited them down to the ground. They got to look prudent (by delaying until after Brexit) while still having a giveaway to sweeten people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They didn't up the threshold by as much by as one euro in the last budget.

This is my problem, they keep saying the right things but in a decade haven't done a tap. The way leo goes on I should be delighted for him, the welfare cheats campaign, increasing the higher threshold, reducing tax, abolishing USC , but the reality is he delivers free abortions on demand and the welfare christmas bonus.

he's labour in fg clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

to be fair leo got a 100% mortgage at the height of boomtime, he also sees saving for a house as an alien concept.

He probably knows he wont be getting any young votes either so isnt loosing anything.

Still amazing how adept he is at puting his foot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pjohnson wrote: »
    He probably knows he wont be getting any young votes either so isnt loosing anything.

Still amazing how adept he is at putting his foot in it.
    Actually one (surprising/interesting) thing that came out of that B&A poll is that FG apparently had more support in the U34s, 7% more than FF but very small datasets, and were also most popular in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

This is my problem, they keep saying the right things but in a decade haven't done a tap. The way leo goes on I should be delighted for him, the welfare cheats campaign, increasing the higher threshold, reducing tax, abolishing USC , but the reality is he delivers free abortions on demand and the welfare christmas bonus.

he's labour in fg clothing.

but E.C., it was the Voters of Ireland who voted 'yes'.

I do reckon he is more, or very, capitalist.

• Advertisement

but E.C., it was the Voters of Ireland who voted 'yes'.

I do reckon he is more, or very, capitalist.

maybe internally but too much of a narcassist living off the approval of pink haired twitter people to put it into action. FG under Leo hasn't done a tap that could be described as right wing or economically conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

100% mortgages and no lending rules will back be back in soon.

Everyone will get a house and all will be good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not while the CB says no and hopefully never!

is_that_so wrote: »

Its the FF way and its what people see to want.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

pjohnson wrote: »
    Also showed more tone deaffness talking about buying his own house aged 24 :pac:

The attitude in FG seems to be, 'if I did why can't you?' And 'if I'm doing alright, why aren't you?'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nope won't happen, the CB is independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I for one think there should be an element of matching involved, by all means give a grant but if someone wants to buy a €300k house they should be saving a five figure sum not being handed a rebate that covers the entire thing. If you made it a matched figure you would have every FTB going in with 20% equity and we would likely never have the negative equity trap again.

I know the whole idea is helping people save a deposit but you should definitely have to save something material yourself.

should you really have to save anything though? I mean they are allowing wasters free houses, paying nearly the highest interest rates in europe and fortune that the government will cream off in building related taxes and given to pay a mortgage, you will be in paying in a lot of income tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is a big difference between a hundred percent mortgage OR the government helping you towards a deposit, that would be money totally wasted otherwise, by the state...

is_that_so wrote: »

thank christ for that independent body holding the flood gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Graduated three tiers of tax might be an idea. The jump from 20% to top rate really is an issue that must be addressed.

I would NOT be in favour of elimination of USC, it is the only tax that cannot be reduced using tax shelters or a good accountant. I'd be happy enough for the thresholds to be widened and the rates reduced at the lower end, but I'm happy to pay it, because I know everyone else has to pay it too no matter how good their tax avoidance gurus might try to help them.

Yes.

The USA has six income tax rates, I think.

I suggest 20%, 30%, 40% and 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

By them you mean lower income working tax payers, because owning a home shouldn't be only for the wealthy and that's were we are going.
    We are losing housing stock while housing a family. I agree it should be strict under a crisis.
    They should expand social housing to higher income brackets as house prices and rentals become more ridiculous IMO. It's a dig out for workers who can't afford rents/buys. Not freebie houses for people on the dole. You need qualify for a mortgage to buy your council home.

Lower income workers can purchase their own houses, they may have to commute but it is what it is.

Why should we give up housing stock, for cheaper than market value when we are pressed for supply? How much housing would we need to build before we had acceptable supply levels and will we even get there?

Finally why should middle income earners who have had to purchase in commuter belts as its the only place they could afford not be given a dig out?

Auction politics in full swing, all parties trying to out do each with the lies....sorry I mean promises.

Nope won't happen, the CB is independent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-central-bank-lending-rules-excessive-1711133-Oct2014/%3famp=1

They still would love to abolish them.

"THE CENTRAL BANK’s new rules for lending to prospective homebuyers, which are aimed at reducing the chances of another property bubble, have been criticised by Fianna Fáil"

Anyway the good times are coming back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-central-bank-lending-rules-excessive-1711133-Oct2014/%3famp=1

They still would love to abolish them.

"THE CENTRAL BANK’s new rules for lending to prospective homebuyers, which are aimed at reducing the chances of another property bubble, have been criticised by Fianna Fáil"

Anyway the good times are coming back.

You shouldn't just fixate on one party they all have form.... and again in case you forgot the CB is independent. You really are getting tiresome now with the nonsense.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/central-bank-urged-to-relax-mortgage-rules-on-20pc-deposits-30674896.html

You shouldn't just fixate on one party they all have form.... and again in case you forgot the CB is independent. You really are getting tiresome now with the nonsense.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/central-bank-urged-to-relax-mortgage-rules-on-20pc-deposits-30674896.html

Alan Kelly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lower income workers can purchase their own houses, they may have to commute but it is what it is.

Why should we give up housing stock, for cheaper than market value when we are pressed for supply? How much housing would we need to build before we had acceptable supply levels and will we even get there?

Finally why should middle income earners who have had to purchase in commuter belts as its the only place they could afford not be given a dig out?

Should be restricted during a crisis. Said so.

The thing is the trendy place to buy has nothing to do with social housing. Its separate from the market, that's the point. The council's own land within their borough.
    Not to forget the regeneration scamola. We had social housing in the city center for generations.

They should be given a dig out, anyone needs it to put a roof over their head. Buying should be restricted during the crisis.

Alan Kelly?

The article is from 2014. 4 government ministers at the time including Kelly unhappy with CB rules. Only an idiot would want the rules changed. You do know the article from the Journal you linked is also from 2014?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Health Service being debated on Claire Byrne live now. Let's see Simon Harris squirm again

Straight of the mark blaming Fianna Fáil.

Results of latest opinion poll commissioned by Irish Times being released live as well.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Health Service being debated on Claire Byrne live now. Let's see Simon Harris squirm again

Straight of the mark blaming Fianna Fáil.

Results of latest opinion poll commissioned by Irish Times being released live as well.

If FF have the same 12 point lead they did in the smaller less thorough poll the election is over bar seeing who they end up in coalition with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If FF have the same 12 point lead they did in the smaller less thorough poll the election is over bar seeing who they end up in coalition with.

I dont think they will. B&A was an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I think the lead will be down to 3-4% if they have any lead at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

image.jpg

Look at the shinners! :pac:

Amazing that the two biggest parties don't command 50 %

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I dont think they will. B&A was an outlier.

Their polls are known for volatility.
    They once had the Trots at 9%.

• Advertisement

Nightmare poll given FG/FF won't go in with Shinners.

FF + everyone available = 56% and that involves coralling a stable of headbanger independents pulling a million different directions.

Advertisement