Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nightmare poll given FG/FF won't go in with Shinners.

FF + everyone available = 56% and that involves coralling a stable of headbanger independents pulling a million different directions.

The greens are the dangerous ones beyond the shinners. They'll be sitting there ready to do a deal in exchange for some insane tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

100% mortgages and no lending rules will back be back in soon.

Everyone will get a house and all will be good again.

whose house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The greens are the dangerous ones beyond the shinners. They'll be sitting there ready to do a deal in exchange for some insane tax.

If Labour and Greens are kingmakers they will extract their agenda specific pound of flesh but that's fine as at least we get a stable government.

Having to corral a large number of independents is a recipe for doing it all again in a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

McMurphy wrote: »
    image.jpg

Look at the shinners! :pac:

It's farcical and complete bias that the Shinners are not being included in the RTÉ debate on the back of this poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I liked the look of the Soc Dem's manifesto on Biodiversity released today, worth a look if you care about the environment

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's farcical and complete bias that the Shinners are not being included in the RTÉ debate on the back of this poll.

It actually is undemocratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Simon Harris on Claire Byrne live now looks worn out and tired.

Very much like Fine Gael.

RTÉ will change the decision on foot of this poll I'd say, or at least they should.

Simon Harris is a such a weasel. Absolutely abhorrent at his job.

Laying into Stephen Donnelly who has worked professionally fixing health systems across the world for Accenture.

I think Stephen is clearly better placed to work through Slaintecare.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Simon is snidey twerp rat

Donnelly and Kelly the best of the lot, shame they are in horrible parties

Sinn Fein headbangers as per usual

Can’t wait till Simon is out of his job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Laying into Stephen Donnelly who has worked professionally fixing health systems across the world for Accenture.

I think Stephen is clearly better placed to work through Slaintecare.

The entire panel are laying into Stephen Donnelly.

Have to agree. They are credible now and I want to see what they have. Wonder has Dee Forbes been promised a bail out. RTÉ is probably the one station that will reach really deep into Ireland. FG and FF are all a lot of these voter know.

Completely undemocratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Simon Harris makes my blood boil . A incompetent , inept , useless weasel .

I am sick to death listening to politicians telling us how great they are for doing their job . They are paid to do their job , well paid , so just bloody do it .

Seems like it's all a joke to Harris. Why is he laughing at this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A failed journalism student, running the dept of health at 30.
    The mind boggles.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Simon Harris makes my blood boil . A incompetent , inept , useless weasel .

I am sick to death listening to politicians telling us how great they are for doing their job . They are paid to do their job , well paid , so just bloody do it .

So don't campaign during an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So don't campaign during an election?

They can campaign all they like but they needn’t go on about what they have done . Its their job to do it so they don’t have to act like they are saints . They are paid to be in charge of our country .
    If they tell me all they have done I can list all they haven’t done

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am not a fan of SF at all, but I do think it is undemocratic to leave them out of any debate now.

Let them hang by their own petard.

Anyone got any idea why they are so high in the polls? Fair dues, but as with all of them, a week is a long time in politics.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They can campaign all they like but they needn’t go on about what they have done . Its their job to do it so they don’t have to act like they are saints . They are paid to be in charge of our country .
    If they tell me all they have done I can list all they haven’t done

What would you have them do while campaigning if they can’t talk about what they’ve done or will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I am not a fan of SF at all, but I do think it is undemocratic to leave them out of any debate now.

Anyone got any idea why they are so high in the polls? Fair dues, but as with all of them, a week is a long time in politics.

Is it only SF excluded?

• Advertisement

I agree with you entirely, I would hate to see them in government but based on that poll there is no basis to exclude them.

A huge part of their surge is working class anger at widening income and social inequality, a global pattern which has put Trump in power and Britain out of Europe. It’s very real, justified and is going absolutely nowhere.

Is it only SF excluded?

It’s only FF/FG on the basis they’re the main parties, a basis that looks tenuous looking at the only reliable poll we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It’s only FF/FG on the basis they’re the main parties, a basis that looks tenuous looking at the only reliable poll we have.

Last two polls we had see fg and SF basically neck and neck.

Some upset if the shinners equal/get more seats than the blueshirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

image.jpg

Look at the shinners! :pac:

The Irish Times IPSOS/MSRI poll a few weeks out from the election in 2016 had the shinners at 19 if I remember correctly - didn't get anywhere near that in the election. The fact of the matter is, when John Q Taxpayer gets in to the polling booth on election day and is faced with a choice between Terrence the Terrorist sympathiser and Simon the stable Centrist, the choice is easy.

Polls are not a good predictor of how people will actually vote. That's been proven plenty of times.

A head to head debate between the leaders of the two main parties is appropriate. Mary Lou will have to sit this one out I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

There's always a debate with all the head of each party, what's the big issue?

Next week probably the 6 leaders will all be there.

Why the fuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Last two polls we had see fg and SF basically neck and neck.

Some upset if the shinners equal/get more seats than the blueshirts.

Maybe if SF called themselves something different and culled the rump of the cordite merchants, they might actually attract the "pay for everything but get little in return" voters. Can't see that happening in my lifetime though. Far too much historical shady baggage for me anyway.

FFG must be having a conniption at that poll that someone posted earlier.

Might be the kick up the backside they need in order to appeal to their core voters. We shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Will be interesting to see how SF's legal challenge goes.
    FF/FG no longer have majority support. Interestingly Leo's approval is 16% down on October's figure of 51% to 35% just ahead of Mary Lou by 1 point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Should be restricted during a crisis. Said so.

The thing is the trendy place to buy has nothing to do with social housing. Its separate from the market, that's the point. The council's own land within their borough.
    Not to forget the regeneration scamola. We had social housing in the city center for generations.

They should be given a dig out, anyone needs it to put a roof over their head. Buying should be restricted during the crisis.

Should be restricted at all times unless the council can replenish the supply at a decent rate, look at the mess we are in now. FG are talking about 18K houses coming on stream this year but guess what it makes not a difference to the man on the street because of the lag it takes for it to get up and running.

As for social housing not being in trendy places, maybe that's what it was like years ago but its not the same these days especially when the council are buying houses from the market to rent out.

I don't think it should be the responsibility of the tax payer to buy houses at market rate and the rest to rent it to somebody and then give them a discount off it when selling it. If they sold it for the value its worth they could pump that money back into more social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Will be interesting to see how SF's legal challenge goes.
    FF/FG no longer have majority support. Interestingly Leo's approval is 16% down on October's figure of 51% to 35% just ahead of Mary Lou by 1 point.

Will be interesting to see how SF numbers do after this one, the didn't do as well in the locals as they are no longer the protest vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Irish Times IPSOS/MSRI poll a few weeks out from the election in 2016 had the shinners at 19 if I remember correctly - didn't get anywhere near that in the election.

They also had FG on 30% and they didn't get anywhere near that either.

Advertisement