Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Some are more equal than others it would appear.

The pensions issue is a thorn both FF and FG need to grasp, it ain't going away.

It's the other parties that aren't grasping the thorn. They want to leave things as they are (Labour actually want to reduce the pension age) and screw the next generation of pensioners.

FG and FF need to deal with anomalies and with transitional arrangements but at least they have recognised the issue of the pensions time bomb and are responding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/senior-tds-can-start-claiming-gold-plated-pensions-in-their-50s-38887712.html

The pensions issue is a thorn both FF and FG need to grasp, it ain't going away.
    Not for you anyway! :D Transition payments will address it in the short term, while they figure out what to do on employment contracts. Incidentally that option of retirement at 50 exists in private pension plans as well, typically on half salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your apparent lack of comprehension, but you know.

Clearly I don't know because you used a meaningless phase which you refused to define.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd imagine this type of nonsense - read the Bio

Take a look at Niall Ó Tuathail (@niallotuathail): https://twitter.com/niallotuathail?s=09

He/him lol ffs.

As I already mentioned, I'm a member but this type of nonsense pisses me off and likely a lot of the electorate. Some of the candidates are far too into the virtue signalling.

I don't go for the pronoun thing myself but how does it effect you? Of all the things to get worked up about, a attempt, misguided perhaps to make a minority feel more included pisses you off?

Clearly I don't know because you used a meaningless phase which you refused to define.
    I dunno. It makes perfect sense - a noun generated from the adjective and the word personified. It's clearly pejorative.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    I dunno. It makes perfect sense - a noun generated from the adjective and the word personified. It's clearly pejorative.

I know what the words mean. I mean it's meaningless because basically everyone in the public discourse has been accused of been 'woke'. Give me examples of it or it's just meaningless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not for you anyway! :D Transition payments will address it in the short term, while they figure out what to do on employment contracts. Incidentally that option of retirement at 50 exists in private pension plans as well, typically on half salary.

No matter how it's spun, it has become a big election an issue. People see the differences between government attitude towards the private sector ( this where the wealth is created btw) and themselves and their employees. Even Leo and Michael admitted the favourable treatment to themselves and the public sector over those in the private sector.

No matter how it's spun, it has become a big election an issue. People see the differences between government attitude towards the private sector ( this where the wealth is created btw) and themselves and their employees. Even Leo and Michael admitted the favourable treatment to themselves and the public sector over those in the private sector.
    It's also how the media create "debate". Once we've pushed past the unending outrage what do you propose?

I know what the words mean. I mean it's meaningless because basically everyone in the public discourse has been accused of been 'woke'. Give me examples of it or it's just meaningless
    Just let it go I don't understand people's need to truncate perfectly good words to be current but that's life.

It's also how the media create "debate". Once we've pushed past the unending outrage what do you propose?

Media? The unions were planning a challenge to the changes before the media took notice.
    What do I purpose? I'm not running for election.

• Advertisement

Media? The unions were planning a challenge to the changes before the media took notice.
    What do I purpose? I'm not running for election.
    Sure but it's been a theme of yours for a good while now so you must have ideas about it, beyond it's a bad idea.

Sure but it's been a theme of yours for a good while now so you must have ideas about it, beyond it's a bad idea.

Again you ignore my answer I'm not running for election. We pay the politicians, senior civil servants significant sums of money to run and manage the country. To work in the interests of all. Not just a cosseted sector which has come to light in recent days.

Again you ignore my answer I'm not running for election. We pay the politicians, senior civil servants significant sums of money to run and manage the country. To work in the interests of all. Not just a cosseted sector which has come to light in recent days.
    No I didn't. I just favour solutions not the problems.

No I didn't. I just favour solutions not the problems.

Good because I thought you didn't. Only those elected on the 8th can legislate for solutions. Personally I would like to see fairness across the board. Equal treatment if you will.

Just let it go I don't understand people's need to truncate perfectly good words to be current but that's life.

You : It's perfectly clear
    Me : Give me examples
    You : Just let it go

It's almost like 'wokeness personified' means nothing and everything .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

LEO not only has a disgraceful record as leader of our country, when he was younger, he was supplying the likes of the Kinahans with money to purchase drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

LEO not only has a disgraceful record as leader of our country, when he was younger, he was supplying the likes of the Kinahans with money to purchase drugs.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/senior-tds-can-start-claiming-gold-plated-pensions-in-their-50s-38887712.html

Can’t really see FF “dealing” with that issue at all.

Will probably be another decade down the road where it will blow up and we’ll be looking for FG to come back in, make all the tough decisions, get the economy back “working” and then getting voted out in favour of FF once again .

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I haven't seen this anywhere. When will the count start given the election is a Saturday? Will it be first thing Sunday or will it not start until Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Interesting...
    Revealed: Half of Ireland's TDs are millionaires... and here's how much they're worth

ALMOST half of all TDs in Leinster House are worth more than €1m, according to the Sunday Independent's Political Rich List.

The first-of-its-kind research project has estimated the combined potential wealth of all 158 TDs to be in excess of €216m.

The analysis by this newspaper and financial expert Karl Deeter found that central to this wealth is the gold-plated public service pensions which TDs receive on retiring from politics.

Comprehensive research by Mr Deeter shows how pensions accumulated by the country's most senior politicians would cost millions of euro to buy in the private sector.

The Political Rich List also provides voters for the first-time with an estimated value of the non-political assets of TDs - whose decisions impact on the finances of every home in the country.

The research project examined several publicly available sources of information to calculate estimated values for property, land and businesses owned by TDs.

The insight into the wealth of the people who govern the country estimated that controversial Independent TD Michael Lowry is the wealthiest politician in the Dail.

Mr Lowry's State pension and personal assets are estimated to be worth a massive €6.4m.

The second wealthiest TD is Kerry TD Michael Healy-Rae, with an estimated value of €5.4m.

Minister for Education Richard Bruton, with a €4.9m estimated value, is the highest ranked member of Cabinet.

Former Taoiseach Charles Haughey's son Sean Haughey is estimated to be worth €4.8m but this does not include his share in the €9m will recently left by his mother Maureen.

Fine Gael is by far the richest political party with all 50 TDs having a combined wealth of €80m.

Fianna Fail's 44 TDs are worth almost €70m, while Sinn Fein's 23 members of the Dail are worth an estimated €12m.

Former Tanaiste and Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald is the first female on the list in 18th place. She is worth €3m based on the value of her pension in private market.

Labour Party leader Brendan Howlin is the richest party leader with an estimated value of just under €4m.

Mr Howlin is closely followed by Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin with a value of almost €3m.

Meanwhile, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is worth €1.2m while Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald is valued at €791,035.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-half-of-irelands-tds-are-millionaires-and-heres-how-much-theyre-worth-36901002.html

Even an incompetent like Fitzgerald is raking it in.

This can be dismissed as 'nothing illegal, so nothing to see here, move along' but I think it's a good window into why, as Enda Kenny put it, we need, 'change the way we do business'.
    Tanaiste Simon Coveney owns three properties - two houses in Cork and an apartment in Dublin - but only declares a rental property he owns in Cork.

Mr Coveney, a former Minister for Housing, does not have to declare his interest in the other properties as they are personally used by him.

However, former Taoiseach Enda Kenny lists every property he owns in his declaration, including his family home and the Dublin apartment he stays in while in the capital on Dail business.

There is also a contrast in the level of details provided by TDs who own farmland. Some TDs give the exact acreage for the land while others merely give the townland where their fields are based.

• Advertisement

This is a well worn tactic in support of shoulder shrugging and being told to toddle along. Calling out something as not fit for purpose is the first step in positive change. Ridiculing that is working for stagnation and keeping things as is IMO.
    The worrying addition is suggesting the media are a bogeyman just out to stir.
    Where do you suggest we get our news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

This is a well worn tactic in support of shoulder shrugging and being told to toddle along. Calling out something as not fit for purpose is the first step in positive change. Ridiculing that is working for stagnation and keeping things as is IMO.
    The worrying addition is suggesting the media are a bogeyman just out to stir.
    Where do you suggest we get our news?
    is_that_so seems to be complaining about the lying press, fake news, luegen presse.

:rolleyes:

Anyone who buys drugs is funding criminality. It's common, but he has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Martin rules out full coalition with FG, says he's 'not interested' in another confidence & supply arrangement with FG but doesn't quite slam the door on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-miche%C3%A1l-martin-rules-out-fianna-f%C3%A1il-fine-gael-grand-coalition-1.4149063

Seems intent on putting together a non-FG/SF coalition even if that means a house of cards with half a dozen stripes of independent in it...

Martin rules out full coalition with FG, says he's 'not interested' in another confidence & supply arrangement with FG but doesn't quite slam the door on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-miche%C3%A1l-martin-rules-out-fianna-f%C3%A1il-fine-gael-grand-coalition-1.4149063

Seems intent on putting together a non-FG/SF coalition even if that means a house of cards with half a dozen stripes of independent in it...

He's just playing Varadkar at the game of 'we're different'.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Saw Mr Flannagan outside a primary school today handing out his flyers to the children as they came out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

channaigh wrote: »
    Saw Mr Flannagan outside a primary school today handing out his flyers to the children as they came out.

Singing come out ye frigin brats , fight me like a man !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting...

Even an incompetent like Fitzgerald is raking it in.

This can be dismissed as 'nothing illegal, so nothing to see here, move along' but I think it's a good window into why, as Enda Kenny put it, we need, 'change the way we do business'.

I posted about the Register of Interests several months ago, when Mick Wallace was in court over not paying a mortgage on one of the many properties he hadn't declared in the Register of Interests.

At the time, if I recall correctly, you were among the posters who dismissed my concerns - I also referenced Gerry Adams' apparent failure to mention his Northern Ireland pensions and properties.

Curiously, all of a sudden, when Fine Gael are in the spotlight, it becomes an issue of concern, with reform suddenly urgently needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fine Gael must be up in some of the more recent informal polls if this is being dragged up in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

blanch152 wrote: »
    I posted about the Register of Interests several months ago, when Mick Wallace was in court over not paying a mortgage on one of the many properties he hadn't declared in the Register of Interests.

At the time, if I recall correctly, you were among the posters who dismissed my concerns - I also referenced Gerry Adams' apparent failure to mention his Northern Ireland pensions and properties.

Curiously, all of a sudden, when Fine Gael are in the spotlight, it becomes an issue of concern, with reform suddenly urgently needed.
    There's a lot of it about blanch152!

Advertisement