Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So Spanish Eyes, you'll vote for them any way, enjoy the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

2020Vision wrote: »
    So why not list the "improvements" to "things" that you anticipate SF making when they assume power. I'll start you off:-

Trains running on time: CHECK.

Well hard to know isn't it as they have never been in power down here!!!!
    Bet they would not do a ff f*ck up though for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Ask yourself this, can it get any worse than it has been? The other 2 have proven they are not fit for purpose so why not give SF a crack at it? If they get it and fail then they are no better then we will know but as it stands they are the best of a bad bunch.

100% my line of thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Yes, I understand the housing crisis thanks. You are calling for an arms race of freebies not increasing the supply or something sensible. Throw more money at it. Which just increased the prices the last time. Making it harder for everyone.

Exactly what caused the last crash. Complete lack of economic knowledge and selfishness.

I said nothing about freebies, you're supplementing my quote about an arms race and adding your own assumptions which is completely disingenuous. A penal vacant sites levy, sensible exemptions from the Central Bank borrowing rules, schemes like HTB are all part of the solution.

I will happily pay every penny for the home I buy but as it stands it's not possible for me to get out of the rental trap and if professionals making twice the average industrial wage are too poor to buy a two bed apartment we are heading to a deeply worrying place as a country.

Patronising my knowledge of economics is also absolutely laughable but I'm not about to get into a dick measuring contest on Boards so I will leave it at noting it's another incorrect assumption you've made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Billcarson wrote: »
    Well hard to know isn't it as they have never been in power down here!!!!
    Bet they would not do a ff f*ck up though for starters.

And there was I thinking that you were going to tell me that it was their impressive legislative record in Northern Ireland that had convinced you that they were the one for you!

Incidentally, I have a large pig in a poke for sale at a very reasonable price, if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Here's the thing - They are all basically incompetent so for me the choice is -

Would I rather have a government making a bit of a balls of policies I broadly agree with or would I prefer to have a government making a balls of policies that I absolutely do not agree with?

FG have done some things right , they have done quite a few things wrong , but for me they are at least trying to do things that I broadly agree with.

FF will make a mess of doing things I do not support - Populist, giveaway crap like the last time they were in Government and SF will do all that and more whilst increasing my taxes to pay for it.

Everybody else is a wasted vote as all they'll maybe do is stick their oar in and make an even bigger balls of the plans that who ever is the main party of Government - e.g. Labour in the 1st FG Government protecting the unions and preventing the possibility of root and branch reform of the public sector.

So , it's FG for me - Not because I think they've done an outstanding job - far from it , but because they are at least trying to do they right thing but failing quite a bit which, with our piss-poor political class is sadly the best you can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I said nothing about freebies, you're supplementing my quote about an arms race and adding your own assumptions which is completely disingenuous. A penal vacant sites levy, sensible exemptions from the Central Bank borrowing rules, schemes like HTB are all part of the solution.

I will happily pay every penny for the home I buy but as it stands it's not possible for me to get out of the rental trap and if professionals making twice the average industrial wage are too poor to buy a two bed apartment we are heading to a deeply worrying place as a country.

Patronising my knowledge of economics is also absolutely laughable but I'm not about to get into a dick measuring contest on Boards so I will leave it at noting it's another incorrect assumption you've made.

Apologies, the economics comment was meant in general not at you. More the last crisis. So sorry if I didn't express that properly.

I would actually agree with you on the penal sites levy. An arms race does suggest freebies as you also mentioned the help to buy. So a fair assumption I would argue.

I don't have a dick so unable to measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Water John wrote: »
    So Spanish Eyes, you'll vote for them any way, enjoy the election.

If you can point me in the direction of a worthy alternative I am all ears and eyes.

I know it sounds like I am a stick in the mud, but I am totally stuck for any other option right now. FG are not great, no question, but as I will not vote for FF/SF/Greens because I saw what FF did to the economy, SF are whingeing Left Wingers, the Greens are well meaning but will tax everything to the hilt to get a cycleway built lol. So what realistically is left for people like me?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ask yourself this, can it get any worse than it has been? The other 2 have proven they are not fit for purpose so why not give SF a crack at it? If they get it and fail then they are no better then we will know but as it stands they are the best of a bad bunch.

I won't let SF have a crack at it if my vote counts for anything. They are still the Provos by another? name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

If you can point me in the direction of a worthy alternative I am all ears and eyes.

I know it sounds like I am a stick in the mud, but I am totally stuck for any other option right now. FG are not great, no question, but as I will not vote for FF/SF/Greens because I saw what FF did to the economy, SF are whingeing Left Wingers, the Greens are well meaning but will tax everything to the hilt to get a cycleway built lol. So what realistically is left for people like me?

Genuine question.

It’s a question that a good number are struggling with. Depending on your constituency you have options: vote independent and the constituency may well benefit from the post election horse trading. Or consider not voting because to return FG is to continue the shambles we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Going to guess we end up with another FF/FG coalition but the parties switch spots with FF with the narrow lead

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Here's the thing - They are all basically incompetent so for me the choice is -

Would I rather have a government making a bit of a balls of policies I broadly agree with or would I prefer to have a government making a balls of policies that I absolutely do not agree with?

FG have done some things right , they have done quite a few things wrong , but for me they are at least trying to do things that I broadly agree with.

FF will make a mess of doing things I do not support - Populist, giveaway crap like the last time they were in Government and SF will do all that and more whilst increasing my taxes to pay for it.

Everybody else is a wasted vote as all they'll maybe do is stick their oar in and make an even bigger balls of the plans that who ever is the main party of Government - e.g. Labour in the 1st FG Government protecting the unions and preventing the possibility of root and branch reform of the public sector.

So , it's FG for me - Not because I think they've done an outstanding job - far from it , but because they are at least trying to do they right thing but failing quite a bit which, with our piss-poor political class is sadly the best you can hope for.

This is the reason why FG have a chance of winning.....not because they are any good at governing, they clearly aren't, but because for the silent majority, they are the least worst option :o

Any takers for a change to a benevolent dictatorship?

Apologies, the economics comment was meant in general not at you. More the last crisis. So sorry if I didn't express that properly.

I would actually agree with you on the penal sites levy. An arms race does suggest freebies as you also mentioned the help to buy. So a fair assumption I would argue.

I don't have a dick so unable to measure.

Yeah I should have been clearer that by arms race I meant how much political capital they are willing to expend getting people who can afford them into houses they pay for and getting those who can't afford them but badly need them into houses at all.

I just think the current system is ignorant of the dynamic in Dublin, if I was living in the West of Ireland I could buy a 4 bed detached house but there are no jobs for me there. Where I have to live there is literally no housing stock under €300,000 even if willing to buy a one bed apartment.

Who are we building for if someone in their mid 20's on €70k with €50k saved (I don't yet but I will be in this position this time next year) hasn't a hope in hell of buying a home.

I was looking at a 3 bed new build house in Clongriffin earlier asking €390,000, 30 year mortgage runs to €1,550 a month which is under a third of my net income. With the current rental market in Dublin and the rent a room scheme you would fill one of those rooms for €800-€900 a month tax free and be left with a ridiculously manageable mortgage.

If I am not the target market for this kind of house who is? Do you literally have to be pulling 6 figures out of a tech company in Grand Canal Dock to get a start in this country? I can afford it and I want to pay for it but it is being made impossible for me to buy it unless I save €150,000 while renting it's absolutely ridiculous.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is the reason why FG have a chance of winning.....not because they are any good at governing, they clearly aren't, but because for the silent majority, they are the least worst option :o

Choosing the "least worst option" has been the case in every election I have voted in over the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think you overestimate the voters. FF will promise cake and people love cake. They will vote for them forgetting everything that happened and imagine that it was a global financial crisis and FF did nothing.

I don't really think many change their vote on a whim.

Civil War politics is slowly receding following the Confidence and Supply, and fair play to FF for doing it, but they hope for a resurgence for their co-operation. It was needed especially during the Brexit issue and I genuinely salute them for that. But I will never vote for them either. Too easy to open the purse strings and bring us back to crisis I think. Just me.

So to me it is going to be either a FF/SF or FG/Indo/Labour government.

We shall see I suppose. No harm with a changing of the guard, my situation won't change either way. I'll still be paying taxes to support everyone else. Still be paying LPT on a hard paid for modest house while renters who use the same services don't have to pay it (and some rurals benefit too because they haven't enough loot from their population), will still have to deal with god awful public transport and horrible traffic. And on and on and on.

We are a generous nation towards those in need or on benefits/SW. The homeless issue was totally over egged by those who wanted a house for life with little contribution. And the parties that shouted loudest about it.

Anyway people like me are totally fed up having to pay for myself and everyone else. We certainly were let down by FG in that regard. We are ignored. Maybe we need an "Early in the Morning and working paying a mortgage, commuting costs Party" lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So we are officiallly under starters orders then ? A Saturday election is a new one for us but we will see how it goes turnout wise. It being a Saturday there won't be the evening rush we see and maybe it'll be a steady flow all day.

No doubt the parties have been on the radio setting out their stalls so to speak

There is one issue that I will turn off from if it's brought up and it's this. Yes, the health service has its problems and they need to be addressed but no doubt we'll have opposition parties talking about fixing the system like there is some magic switch to fix it all. For the majority of my life the health service has had issues to varying degrees but any party claiming there is a simple fix then I'm sorry on that issue you'll have lost my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Or maybe I'm caught in a horrible trap where I can easily afford the mortgage repayments on a house but the cost of renting the exact same house is crippling my ability to put a deposit together. As a single applicant on €70,000 with a €50,000 deposit I could spend €295,000 which wouldn't buy a two bed apartment in Dublin, because of my job I will always have to work in Dublin.

I am of the opinion that someone earning double the average industrial wage should be able to afford an apartment. I don't want anything for free, I just want a system that makes it possible for me to pay for it and doesn't leave me stranded renting in perpetuity.

But do continue, politics is moving away from valuing the truth you might as well ride the wave.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-portside-court-east-wall-dublin-3/4396445

Surely something like this - a 2-bed house in a gated development in East Wall for €250k would suit you well?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-clearwater-court-north-royal-canal-park-ashtown-dublin-15-d15-tw73/4405208

This penthouse apartment out the road in Ashtown, a short cycle from the city centre and on a train line would also be available.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/179-st-margaret-s-road-hampton-wood-finglas-dublin-11/4363581

If you want something bigger, you can get a 4-bed in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Nermal

As a single applicant on €70,000 with a €50,000 deposit I could spend €295,000 which wouldn't buy a two bed apartment in Dublin.

Yes it would. Perhaps you mean it wouldn’t buy one somewhere you feel meets your standards.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So we are officiallly under starters orders then ? A Saturday election is a new one for us but we will see how it goes turnout wise. It being a Saturday there won't be the evening rush we see and maybe it'll be a steady flow all day.

No doubt the parties have been on the radio setting out their stalls so to speak

There is one issue that I will turn off from if it's brought up and it's this. Yes, the health service has its problems and they need to be addressed but no doubt we'll have opposition parties talking about fixing the system like there is some magic switch to fix it all. For the majority of my life the health service has had issues to varying degrees but any party claiming their is a simple fix then I'm sorry on that issue you'll have lost my vote.

Six Nations rugby won't help turnout, especially for non Dubs travelling up for the game. It's at 2:15 and most will make a day of it so if you can do that from the west coast and still vote you've got up early and made a real effort.

That's part of the stereotypical FG catchment area as well so potentially a weird flex from them.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

There is one issue that I will turn off from if it's brought up and it's this. Yes, the health service has its problems and they need to be addressed but no doubt we'll have opposition parties talking about fixing the system like there is some magic switch to fix it all. For the majority of my life the health service has had issues to varying degrees but any party claiming their is a simple fix then I'm sorry on that issue you'll have lost my vote.

Totally agree. But the Health Service is not a TOTAL shambles either IMV. Certain areas are like A+E and waiting lists for elective procedures. But the failures are highlighted all the time.

My late mother was constantly in and out of a public hospital and I can genuinely say that her care was exemplary. Just for a bit of balance like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't really think many change their vote on a whim.

Civil War politics is slowly receding following the Confidence and Supply, and fair play to FF for doing it, but they hope for a resurgence for their co-operation. It was needed especially during the Brexit issue and I genuinely salute them for that. But I will never vote for them either. Too easy to open the purse strings and bring us back to crisis I think. Just me.

So to me it is going to be either a FF/SF or FG/Indo/Labour government.

We shall see I suppose. No harm with a changing of the guard, my situation won't change either way. I'll still be paying taxes to support everyone else. Still be paying LPT on a hard paid for modest house while renters who use the same services don't have to pay it (and some rurals benefit too because they haven't enough loot from their population), will still have to deal with god awful public transport and horrible traffic. And on and on and on.

We are a generous nation towards those in need or on benefits/SW. The homeless issue was totally over egged by those who wanted a house for life with little contribution. And the parties that shouted loudest about it.

Anyway people like me are totally fed up having to pay for myself and everyone else. We certainly were let down by FG in that regard. We are ignored. Maybe we need an "Early in the Morning and working paying a mortgage, commuting costs Party" lol.

That is an interesting point. I came across some OECD statistics today while looking for something else.

http://www.oecd.org/els/family/PH4-2-Social-rental-housing-stock.pdf

Ireland has, at 12.7%, the sixth highest percentage of social rental housing stock in the OECD.

Sometimes the facts get in the way of the emotional arguments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Blanch152 the Green

:D

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-portside-court-east-wall-dublin-3/4396445

Surely something like this - a 2-bed house in a gated development in East Wall for €250k would suit you well?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-clearwater-court-north-royal-canal-park-ashtown-dublin-15-d15-tw73/4405208

This penthouse apartment out the road in Ashtown, a short cycle from the city centre and on a train line would also be available.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/179-st-margaret-s-road-hampton-wood-finglas-dublin-11/4363581

If you want something bigger, you can get a 4-bed in Finglas.

As non new builds none of these qualify for HTB and are all likely to cost a fortune to bring into line with the new building standards. Quite a bit of the housing stock built under the old regime is absolutely falling down and I've heard enough horror stories to not get involved with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Well I admit I'm no die hard sf supporter but I dont expect fg or ff to improve things . They have had a century to try things and imo failed. Time for imo potentially something different. Sf are a risk they have never been in power (down here) but a risk worth taking imo. Dont judge any party till they have been in power,then judge away......

I wouldn't be a SF voter by a long stretch but I'm sick of the same old if it's not FF it must be FG boom bust nothing ever changes.
    And it never will while we keep voting in the same old same old.

Our society is, imo, in serious trouble - Health service on it's knees, members of the defense forces quitting in droves, universities plummeting down the international rankings, vital new infrastructure either stalled or costs sky rocketing, roads disintegrating, Growing homelessness, lack of affordable housing, pension age heading for the oldest in the world.

Something has to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

100% my line of thought

They are not a normal party though, they are still beholding to men mostly in the North who have blood on their hands. Don't let them fool you into thinking they are anything else. Also most of their economic policies are totally unrealistic, we would end up like 1970s UK

Nermal wrote: »
    Yes it would. Perhaps you mean it wouldn’t buy one somewhere you feel meets your standards.

Most recent search on MyHome.ie for new builds under €300k in Dublin is showing duplex's in Saggart (which is still an hour from Dublin) and the second phase of Priory Hall, yeah this Priory Hall:

https://www.thejournal.ie/priory-hall-whats-happening-1067402-Sep2013/

If you expect me to make apologies for wanting a bit more than that from a home I'll spend 20 years in I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the greens need to go for more carrot than stick;

massive investment in public transport and big grants for home insulation and electric vehicles and i'd throw them a number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

FG turned nothing around. The Troika did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

the greens need to go for more carrot than stick;

massive investment in public transport and big grants for home insulation and electric vehicles and i'd throw them a number 1.

Instead, you get wolves.

Advertisement