Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We got the first candidate to our door tonight

The Irish Freedom party

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We got the first candidate to our door tonight

The Irish Freedom party

Jesus , what would the leaders that achieved freedom for this country , reckon of the self serving rats that have run this country for the last few decades. Couldn’t get two bigger extremes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks like the weather is to be rough for Saturday.

Might stop a few folk bothering to come out?

After a mostly dry start on Saturday morning, heavy rain and strong and gusty southerly winds will move eastwards over the country bringing a risk of very strong squally winds, with gales along all coasts and strong gale force winds along the northwest coast. Some of the rain turning wintry in parts of Ulster for a very short time. The rain possibly lingering into the evening in parts of Leinster and Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

NIMAN wrote: »
    Looks like the weather is to be rough for Saturday.

Might stop a few folk bothering to come out?

After a mostly dry start on Saturday morning, heavy rain and strong and gusty southerly winds will move eastwards over the country bringing a risk of very strong squally winds, with gales along all coasts and strong gale force winds along the northwest coast. Some of the rain turning wintry in parts of Ulster for a very short time. The rain possibly lingering into the evening in parts of Leinster and Munster.

More likely to keep students in bed than stop the grey haired brigade from getting out. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It will be interesting to see how the Saturday election affects turnout. My instinct is it will be higher than usual which will play against FG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

More likely to keep students in bed than stop the grey haired brigade from getting out. Unfortunately.

Why unfortunetely ? I am retired ,( no grey hair yet) and am well capable of making up my mind who I would prefer to run my country . ? Seen three recessions and raised three kids during one almighty one and have just as many brain cells and most .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shades of 2007, Martin has a problem with the Central Bank. The rules are there because of the mess his party made. Hopefully the bank tells him to do one.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/central-bank-wants-us-all-to-be-renting-martin-in-dig-at-regulator3893206938932130-38931601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why unfortunetely ? I am retired ,( no grey hair yet) and am well capable of making up my mind who I would prefer to run my country . ? Seen three recessions and raised three kids during one almighty one and have just as many brain cells and most .

I think his point might be the grey vote has been a hegemonic influence on Irish politics and parties through sheer weight of numbers and age distribution among among the population pyramid.

To be slightly unkind for a moment, a lot of younger folks don't exactly feel that cohort think all that much about the challenges young people face and are more focused on pension goodies etc that parties inevitable throw the way of the older at election time.

That's not necessarily my opinion, but it's a widely held sentiment.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I'm fairly grey haired myself actually:)
    But I want FF and FG to get a hiding at this election and older people are generally more inclined to vote for them, younger people are more inclined to vote for others (yes, only generally speaking). And that's why I hope more young people get out and vote this time.

Apologies, I have nothing at all against older people voting, and I admire that they do it in such strong numbers. Younger voters should take a lesson.

Shades of 2007, Martin has a problem with the Central Bank. The rules are there because of the mess his party made. Hopefully the bank tells him to do one.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/central-bank-wants-us-all-to-be-renting-martin-in-dig-at-regulator3893206938932130-38931601.html

I shudder at the thought of Meehawl as Taoiseach. The complete lack of accountability for FF mistakes means that we are destined to repeat history under his rule.

• Advertisement

I shudder at the thought of Meehawl as Taoiseach. The complete lack of accountability for FF mistakes means that we are destined to repeat history under his rule.

The CB is supposed to be independent, if this clown gets his way it's bust all over again. Without doubt he will be the next Taoiseach but all ready he is attacking the rules of the CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yurt! wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how the Saturday election affects turnout. My instinct is it will be higher than usual which will play against FG

Presumably their calculation that people who 'get up early' and would likely be FG-leaning might find it easier to get round to voting on the weekend...

Presumably their calculation that people who 'get up early' and would likely be FG-leaning might find it easier to get round to voting on the weekend...

If those are the same people who get up early that Leo claimed he wanted to help ( but didn't) he might be sorry.

If those are the same people who get up early that Leo claimed he wanted to help ( but didn't) he might be sorry.

He'll be hoping they'll continue to vote FG on the 'best of a bad lot' principle...

He'll be hoping they'll continue to vote FG on the 'best of a bad lot' principle...

There's always hope I guess.

say you adopt the best of a bad lot or give vardakar one more chance, whats his plan this budget? jack up welfare further? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    say you adopt the best of a bad lot or give vardakar one more chance, whats his plan this budget? jack up welfare further? :rolleyes:

Depends what his government partners/the media/Twitter want

Depends what his government partners/the media/Twitter want

yeah that explains it! I would say all the budget deliberations are basically "how much can we jack welfare up" this strarving other areas of investment and not being able to "reward workers"! These fools wouldnt know what a hard decicion was. If they had made some, they would have walked back into government as the main party

I stuck a tenner on FF/FG and FF minority governments, both @ 16/1. Just think the next government will have to be some form of arrangement between FF and FG again.

Well the former is in to second favourite @ 4/1 but I still think it's a long shot. Also put a bit on FF/Lab/Green/SDs, 16/1 as well, because I reckon it's the most likely combo if FF do a bit better than expected...

FG if they managed to win the most seats this term, could redeem themselves somewhat. The amount of schemes now with planning or applying for them is huge in dublin, that wont solve the affordability issue though. Sort that and get Bus connects and dublin metro solved, and I would be happy. Think they have left it too late though. My opinion is, that if people are shifting from FG to FF (for a change) it is a serious mistake...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FG if they managed to win the most seats this term, could redeem themselves somewhat. The amount of schemes now with planning or applying for them is huge in dublin, that wont solve the affordability issue though. Sort that and get Bus connects and dublin metro solved, and I would be happy. Think they have left it too late though. My opinion is, that if people are shifting from FG to FF (for a change) it is a serious mistake...
    FG wont touch property. They want landlords votes so wont dare lower/ threaten the rental market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

pjohnson wrote: »
    FG wont touch property. They want landlords votes so wont dare lower/ threaten the rental market.

It's about making money for inappropriate friends and 1 in 4 TD's.

you are preaching to the choir, but if they dont change tact, come next election, assuming they win the most seats this time, they will be junior party or opposition...

basically younger people screwed by the housing crisis, getting as good as no talk cuts from that liar, they are already deserting FG in serious numbers... Its not sustainable for FG

It's about making money for inappropriate friends and 1 in 4 TD's.

nearly 100% of decision makers here are homeowners, probably more relevant than being landlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

you are preaching to the choir, but if they dont change tact, come next election, assuming they win the most seats this time, they will be junior party or opposition...

basically younger people screwed by the housing crisis, getting as good as no talk cuts from that liar, they are already deserting FG in serious numbers... Its not sustainable for FG

Younger people are deserting Ireland. And I wonder why theres that pension bomb due to a lack of young workers to sustain the older generation hmmmm?

FG if they managed to win the most seats this term,

Not gonna happen, FF 1/14 to be the biggest party...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

I've a question regarding what happens to surplus votes.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/proportional_representation.html

Halfway down that link states the rules surrounding it.

So, like the example says, person B gets 300 votes (30% of person A's 1000 surplus). Person A had 6000 votes, so does person B get 1,800 votes physically placed in it's box (even though it's only worth 300 votes)? The reason I am asking is in case person B's votes have to be counted again once candidate B is elected or eliminated, in order to give additional votes to candidate C, candidate D etc.

When/if person A's votes are counted for the third time, there's a big difference depending on whether it is 300 or 1800 votes going to be counted, regardless for what number of votes they are equal to after the percentage is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

I've a question regarding what happens to surplus votes.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/proportional_representation.html

Halfway down that link states the rules surrounding it.

So, like the example says, person B gets 300 votes (30% of person A's 1000 surplus). Person A had 6000 votes, so does person B get 1,800 votes physically placed in it's box (even though it's only worth 300 votes)? The reason I am asking is in case person B's votes have to be counted again once candidate B is elected or eliminated, in order to give additional votes to candidate C, candidate D etc.

When/if person A's votes are counted for the third time, there's a big difference depending on whether it is 300 or 1800 votes going to be counted, regardless for what number of votes they are equal to after the percentage is taken into account.

They proportion a surplus

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Shur thats aload of ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

golfball37 wrote: »
    They proportion a surplus
    How many pages are physically given to candidate B from candidate A? 1800 or 300?

Advertisement