Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Strong turnouts been reported so far, not good news Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hmmm we will see later

Could be a lot of FG support out as well

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Hmmm we will see later

A strong turn out after 9 years is rarely good news for the incumbents.

FF 1/20 to get most seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Is there any chance Leo could loose his seat?

It would be a dream come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Jizique

Kivaro wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Health, housing, crime, infrastructure. These are the main issues for the country. Social housing should be a subset of the substantial housing problem, but the focus by RTE was the 10,000, and not the many hundreds of thousands of people in this country forced to pay exorbitant rents and struggle to find an affordable home.

Is there a link with immigration or are we not allowed to mention that?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

I don't disagree with you just you never know on the day

Some people I know have gone back to FG after the debate on Tuesday even after all the messes they made in the 9 years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can mention it and vote for the party that supports your viewpoint. None of them will get elected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't think FF being the largest party has been in much doubt for months. FG probably happy just to stay ahead of SF...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Kivaro wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Health, housing, crime, infrastructure. These are the main issues for the country. Social housing should be a subset of the substantial housing problem, but the focus by RTE was the 10,000, and not the many hundreds of thousands of people in this country forced to pay exorbitant rents and struggle to find an affordable home.

RTE are largely responsible for many of the **** shows here. I would include housing in that, their analysis is pathetic! They are either jaw droppingly bad or they do it on purpose. They have eoghan murphy in over the housing crisis, reasonable. But why not bring in by far the biggest culprits ? the local councils?

It would be a dream come true.

that would be the best outcome of this election!

• Advertisement

Just can't see that happening though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wish there was anti-voting, where I pick the people I least want to see in power and my vote was subtracted from their count.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think mathematically, the best option for your least liked candidate is to vote the full list and put them last.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't think FF being the largest party has been in much doubt for months. FG probably happy just to stay ahead of SF...

With the likes of paschal Donohoe apparently fearful of his seat, even that isn't a cert either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McMurphy wrote: »
    With the likes of paschal Donohoe apparently fearful of his seat, even that isn't a cert either.

I wonder would FG prefer if FF is able to form its preferred coalition with Greens etc. and they (FG) go into opposition, or if they are required to support a minority FF government. I suppose in the former case they could regroup, rebuild etc., but in the latter they're still in the game, can bring the government down when they choose etc.

Harder for the to do that in a way when FF supported them for 4 years

Water John wrote: »
    I think mathematically, the best option for your least liked candidate is to vote the full list and put them last.

No, the best option is don't give them a vote, that way there is absolutely no way "mathematically" they can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hmmm we will see later

Rising tide lifts all boats kind of stuff ?

I wonder would FG prefer if FF is able to form its preferred coalition with Greens etc. and they (FG) go into opposition, or if they are required to support a minority FF government. I suppose in the former case they could regroup, rebuild etc., but in the latter they're still in the game, can bring the government down when they choose etc.

If FG want my vote back, they can start with a proper LEADER, not some weasel, kite flying joke! and by a proper leader, not any of the candidates that they currently have in mind if varadkar steps down etc. I wouldnt have POD leading the local boy scouts!

The country isnt being lead, primarily, because apparently and seemingly, we have no leaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No, the best option is don't give them a vote, that way there is absolutely no way "mathematically" they can get it.

Seems strange why someone would put a number beside a person who they 'DON'T' want elected. As you say don't give them a preference.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Lot of it's fearful of Sinn Fein I'd say

Itssoeasy wrote: »

proven absolute bull**** at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seems strange why someone would put a number beside a person who they 'DON'T' want elected. As you say don't give them a preference.

Correct if you really don't want them elected leave them out.

The other poster was talking about "least liked" in which case go down the ballot paper and put them last of your preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Think its something to do with a candidate reaching his quota they can use the unmarked selection to make up numbers for other candidates.

If you give a candidate the lowest number it counter acts the above or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lot of it's fearful of Sinn Fein I'd say

A big turnout is usually bad news for an incumbent looking for a third time that is trailing in the polls.

But there may be a silent FG vote in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A big turnout is usually bad news for an incumbent looking for a third time that is trailing in the polls.

But there may be a silent FG vote in there somewhere.

It's not that silent tbh. On the boards poll in the D15 constituency for example there's no chance Varadkar is losing his seat. Narrow snapshot but regardless he's not losing his seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FG only running one candidate in a traditionally FG strong area. Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

FG only running one candidate in a FG strong area. Interesting...

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Hurrache wrote: »
    Where?

Dublin south central. Its been FG all my life. Inchicore/kilmainham.

Unusual for the Sith :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

First time I’ve ever gone to vote looked at the paper and just heart sank realising I actually still had no clue who to vote for as there’s bad to all of them

Advertisement