Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I'll vote for anyone but Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Instead, you get wolves.

But sure aren't wolves the most environmentally friendly way to commute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

emo72 wrote: »
    FG turned nothing around. The Troika did.

And mass emigration. And public service sacrifices. And ordinary people. The people who didn’t: politicians, business people who had their losses nationalised and dumped onto all of us and future generations.

emo72 wrote: »
    FG turned nothing around. The Troika did.
    No, I wont have that utter nonsense. FG only implemented the existing IMF/FF policies - it was the hard working and resilient people of Ireland!

If they are to shoulder the blame for the ills of the country, then they should also be given the kudos for the things which went well. You can't say X is bad it's all their fault but Y is good and they had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

I remember maybe two or three elections ago, boards did a mock election that you could give your preference for your constituency. As I recall they were fairly accurate, but don't remember seeing it since, any chance of it being done this time around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

As non new builds none of these qualify for HTB and are all likely to cost a fortune to bring into line with the new building standards. Quite a bit of the housing stock built under the old regime is absolutely falling down and I've heard enough horror stories to not get involved with one.

You're limiting yourself massively if you're going for new-only. You've got enough buying power to get somewhere nice in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

hots wrote: »
    You're limiting yourself massively if you're going for new-only. You've got enough buying power to get somewhere nice in Dublin.

TBH I hadn't really looked because of the HTB money but I will now and see what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

the greens need to go for more carrot than stick;

massive investment in public transport and big grants for home insulation and electric vehicles and i'd throw them a number 1.

All of that will be part of their election manifesto.

endainoz wrote: »
    I remember maybe two or three elections ago, boards did a mock election that you could give your preference for your constituency. As I recall they were fairly accurate, but don't remember seeing it since, any chance of it being done this time around?

Actually, they were far from accurate, completely overestimated the support for Sinn Fein and AAA-PBP, while underestimating the support for Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

blanch152 wrote: »
    All of that will be part of their election manifesto.

ok as long as its not tempered with mad sh1t i'll probably vote for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think you overestimate the voters. FF will promise cake and people love cake. They will vote for them forgetting everything that happened and imagine that it was a global financial crisis and FF did nothing.

That's not true.
    They'll remember. Then they'll remember Kenny promising to change the way we do business. Then they'll remember getting the blame while the folk had a part in causing it got away with it pretty much unscathed and are back making their millions. Then they'll be fully aware of the Insurance, housing and health situations. The wastes and over runs and the scandals, (Murphy, Bailey, Farrell etc.) and they'll weigh the two and likely be more inclined towards FF, because they didn't have record breaking crises under FF even if FF played their role. And FF will look after the tax payer better than FG did.
    The thing is 'freebies' are no bother for vulture funds and the like under FG, but doing same for the tax payer is foolishness. Well neither are very good, but with one a working tax payer might be able to house him or her self.

TBH I hadn't really looked because of the HTB money but I will now and see what I think.

Election-aside, 100% do, the HTB (and the other supports) have really just inflated the price of new-builds, to the point where they are out of reach for a lot of people, the bang for your buck is much higher at the moment second-hand (2nd hand is not for everyone ofc)... it's why people jumped on you for suggesting you wanted more help for FTBs, almost every scenario results in the market rising to meet it, and the HTB is the worst of them all because it's pretty much only the big-builders that benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Totally agree. But the Health Service is not a TOTAL shambles either IMV. Certain areas are like A+E and waiting lists for elective procedures. But the failures are highlighted all the time.

My late mother was constantly in and out of a public hospital and I can genuinely say that her care was exemplary. Just for a bit of balance like.

I didn't say it's a shambles and I'd be biased but there are issues that need to be addressed. I get very annoyed when people make the blanket statement that the health service is a mess without being more careful and not including the amazing staff in all the hospitals in this country and the hours they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

O'Dowd is a thorn in FGs side. I am surprised they kept him. He exposed the Irish Water privatisation plan.

O'Cuiv is an absolute dose. I hope he steps away. Fairly quiet these days.
    Parties tend not to jettison anyone who can win them seats. He brings a second TD is why. Very reliable vote getter. Even the irascible Deasy has always had a place.

Most recent search on MyHome.ie for new builds under €300k in Dublin is showing duplex's in Saggart (which is still an hour from Dublin) and the second phase of Priory Hall, yeah this Priory Hall:

https://www.thejournal.ie/priory-hall-whats-happening-1067402-Sep2013/

If you expect me to make apologies for wanting a bit more than that from a home I'll spend 20 years in I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you.

Huge amount of apartments & houses under 300,000 euro in Dublin.
    You can afford it, you just choose not to.
    You really don't have an argument

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If they are to shoulder the blame for the ills of the country, then they should also be given the kudos for the things which went well. You can't say X is bad it's all their fault but Y is good and they had nothing to do with it.

You must be new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

Actually, they were far from accurate, completely overestimated the support for Sinn Fein and AAA-PBP, while underestimating the support for Fianna Fail.

I don't think AAA or PBP were around when this happened, unless it happened after that.

If there's any chance of FF going into government with SF, then they won't get a vote from me.
    The last time the greens were in they forced everyone in the country to buy new diesel cars..... Now look. The greens will tax everything in the name of climate change, which has no affect on climate change........
    It's a pity the soc dems are such a small party, few more candidates for them, I think they would do well

That's not true.
    They'll remember. Then they'll remember Kenny promising to change the way we do business. Then they'll remember getting the blame while the folk had a part in causing it got away with it pretty much unscathed and are back making their millions. Then they'll be fully aware of the Insurance, housing and health situations. The wastes and over runs and the scandals, (Murphy, Bailey, Farrell etc.) and they'll weigh the two and likely be more inclined towards FF, because they didn't have record breaking crises under FF even if FF played their role. And FF will look after the tax payer better than FG did.
    The thing is 'freebies' are no bother for vulture funds and the like under FG, but doing same for the tax payer is foolishness. Well neither are very good, but with one a working tax payer might be able to house him or her self.
    Hmm, very few of these are likely to resonate. What people around these parts tend to forget is the utter disinterest of an average person in political machinations. This kind of a post is a wishful thinking that they would think the same way.

bubblypop wrote: »
    If there's any chance of FF going into government with SF, then they won't get a vote from me.
    The last time the greens were in they forced everyone in the country to buy new diesel cars..... Now look. The greens will tax everything in the name of climate change, which has no affect on climate change........
    It's a pity the soc dems are such a small party, few more candidates for them, I think they would do well

A disappointment. Had high hopes, still have Bob and some.

• Advertisement

Of course FF will go into government with SF if the numbers add up. The Greens could be part of the same mix.

There really are two ways of voting in this election.

(1) Vote for either FF or FG to be the main party in government, it is one or the other, or
    (2) Vote for whichever smaller party you wish to have the greatest influence on government, so if you want workers rights, vote Labour, if you dream of a united Ireland utopia, vote Sinn Fein, if you are interested in the biggest issue of climate change, vote Green. You will know that the more seats your favoured party has, the more chance of being in government, but also that some of their wilder policies will be tamed by whatever big partner they have.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hmm, very few of these are likely to resonate. What people around these parts tend to forget is the utter disinterest of an average person in political machinations. This kind of a post is a wishful thinking that they would think the same way.

Quite the opposite. These are issues I would imagine foremost in the publics mind.
    I would not envy FG trying to sell the economy to punters unable to buy a house or small businesses getting run out over insurance costs.
    And the personnel scandals and NCH are bigger issues than FG might think. The RIC/Tan commemoration won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, they were looking like a viable “left” alternative for the disillusioned Labour voters but then they went and tried to be all inclusive and modern which was met with suspicion, and revulsion, by a large cohort of voters.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

That's not true.

Oh, the short memories.

We had a world record-breaking budget deficit of 32% of GDP in 2010 caused by Fianna Fail. Everything else about the last decade comes down to that, everything else.

Oh, the short memories.

We had a world record-breaking budget deficit of 32% of GDP in 2010 caused by Fianna Fail. Everything else about the last decade comes down to that, everything else.

Leave out the 'short memories' copy and paste. I literally listed why people may go FF despite the crash.
    Forgot to add FG telling the country FF were good enough to co-govern.

Quite the opposite. These are issues I would imagine foremost in the publics mind.
    I would not envy FG trying to sell the economy to punters unable to buy a house or small businesses getting run out over insurance costs.
    And the personnel scandals and NCH are bigger issues than FG might think. The RIC/Tan commemoration won't help either.
    A lot of these are media-driven outrage. NCH will deliver a hospital and it seems that voters accept government can't keep projects in budget. Insurance may rear its head and housing but I'd be very surprised if the commemoration causes much of a ripple, save in people who were out to be offended by it anyway.
    What I do think they will be thinking is whether a two term government party should get the chance of a third one. Pre-2010 that would have been a given but with the stain on the other option it's hard to say. It will all be down to the campaign. The way they may do it is just by swapping preferences about so that the FGs are mostly below the FFs. I'd say it will be clear enough before we hit the final week of campaigning.

A lot of these are media-driven outrage. NCH will deliver a hospital and it seems that voters accept government can't keep projects in budget. Insurance may rear its head and housing but I'd be very surprised if the commemoration causes much of a ripple, save in people who were out to be offended by it anyway.
    What I do think they will be thinking is whether a two term government party should get the chance of a third one. Pre-2010 that would have been a given but with the stain on the other option it's hard to say. It will all be down to the campaign. I'd say it will be clear enough before we hit the final week of campaigning.

That's were the public get their information. Deriding the media as a source might work for Trump mind. The media don't publish unless it'll get a rise or is of interest.
    I'd say Leo were spent, had he been busy.

What I do think they will be thinking is whether a two term government party should get the chance of a third one. Pre-2010 that would have been a given but with the stain on the other option it's hard to say. It will all be down to the campaign. The way they may do it is just by swapping preferences about so that the FGs are mostly below the FFs. I'd say it will be clear enough before we hit the final week of campaigning.

Pretty much, that's the case. Really two separate battles. One between FF and FG to see who will be top dog in leading the government, the other between the smaller parties to see who will be the add-on or add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Having had a good look at Daft.ie I'm happy to concede the HTB scheme may have seduced me and €20k subsidy or not going used might be a better idea.

I maintain there are substantial risks to buying anything built 5 or more years ago as a lot of that stock was built to an absolutely deplorable standard but it's certainly a more live option than I thought. I say this as someone with a lot of family members making a living fixing the issues with these houses/apartments so I've heard it from the coalface.

• Advertisement

Having had a good look at Daft.ie I'm happy to concede the HTB scheme may have seduced me and €20k subsidy or not going used might be a better idea.

I maintain there are substantial risks to buying anything built 5 or more years ago as a lot of that stock was built to an absolutely deplorable standard but it's certainly a more live option than I thought. I say this as someone with a lot of family members making a living fixing the issues with these houses/apartments so I've heard it from the coalface.

If you're situation allows, price it in to some of the older stuff when you're browsing, buying something 50k cheaper and spending 20k on it to bring it to a good standard, while putting your own stamp on it can be ideal, especially with some well connected family. With that and a good survey there's lots of opportunities.

My only apprehension was apartments with the Fire regs horror stories you hear, but you could get that with a new one too I guess.

Advertisement