Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So, leaving Daft/Myhome for a moment, who do you think will form the next Government?

I think it will be FF/SF + Greens (if necessary). But who knows, it could just turn on its head and be FG + Indos and Labour + Greens.

SF is toxic to many. Sorry now, but that has to be acknowledged. Their transfer pattern is non existent really. But anyway we shall see.

The bottom line is, nothing will change for me and for many others like me, so it is deja vu.

So, leaving Daft/Myhome for a moment, who do you think will form the next Government?

I think it will be FF/SF + Greens (if necessary). But who knows, it could just turn on its head and be FG + Indos and Labour + Greens.

SF is toxic to many. Sorry now, but that has to be acknowledged. Their transfer pattern is non existent really. But anyway we shall see.

The bottom line is, nothing will change for me and for many others like me, so it is deja vu.

That’s the crux of it. Whoever gets in, nothing will change. Not in the big picture anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Augme

Fianna fail have already rules out going in with SF. It will be Fianna fail proppped up by fine gael. A reserve of what it is now.

My only consolation WRT a FG led Gov is the fact that they will never get into bed with SF. That's good enough for me, despite all their failings.

FF on the other hand might just do it. So that's a big NO from me.

I doubt I am alone in this thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Augme wrote: »
    Fianna fail have already rules out going in with SF. It will be Fianna fail proppped up by fine gael. A reserve of what it is now.

Micheal Martin has ruled out going in with Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail haven't. There are plenty of leaders-in-waiting prepared to do the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd say a FF led FG jnr partner government.
    A chance of a short lived FF led rainbow.
    Can't see MM going in with SF. That said their faux morals are laughable.

Augme wrote: »

A sniff of power might change all that though. And to be fair FF will rule the roost anyway and would SF like to play second fiddle to the real "Republican Party"?

I love elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

My only consolation WRT a FG led Gov is the fact that they will never get into bed with SF. That's good enough for me, despite all their failings.

FF on the other hand might just do it. So that's a big NO from me.

I doubt I am alone in this thinking.

I’m fairly sure Micheál Martin has ruled out a SF coalition.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

blanch152 wrote: »
    Micheal Martin has ruled out going in with Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail haven't. There are plenty of leaders-in-waiting prepared to do the deal.

Name them and how do you know?

What would happen if say FF or FG refused to coalesce with each other, in the worst case scenario.

A government of National Unity or what? I love elections.

• Advertisement

I’m fairly sure Micheál Martin has ruled out a SF coalition.

In the interests of the Nation (their power and party sorry) they will do it. I think they have similar interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I don't think SF will go in to coalition with anyone. I think they're not interested.
    I'd have serious doubts if they'd have agreed a, deal to in the northern assembly but for the fact that they knew this election was coming here and their support was weaning and they needed something to boost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

reg114 wrote: »
    The FG gov led by Enda Kenny that came to power after the economic crash blew the greatest opportunity for wholesale change this country could have ever witnessed. Decades of bloated unionised government departments like the health sector, education, the gardai could have been obliterated overnight if the political will had been present and the message conveyed to an electorate in shock after the crash.

The sad fact is public sector employee numbers exploded under Bertie Ahearne at a time when technology could have been adopted to actually reduce head count.

A cost benefit analysis of every government department has never been performed, this is something that could have been done under the watchful eyes of the IMF ten years ago. But Enda didnt have the guts. I recall Morgan Kelly predicting the economic collapse with confidence, equally he said cuts should have been much much deeper than Enda permitted, but what do you expect when you have a teacher as a Taoiseach ? Replace him with a failed Doctor ? Leo is like a south side version of Bertie only in a better cut suit. Both men were gifted a booming economy and both only interested in having their photos taken, and history will treat them roughly the same, because a recession is looming folks.

Irelands two party system works no better than the british or the American two party systems.. They have all failed, but they have failed not simply because of their respective political infrastructures but primarily because on an apathetic public. Apathy is the greatest threat to democracy. Watch how many people vote for FF and FG in the next election, if you are amongst them you are part of the problem. I have never voted for either party. Perhaps I'll vote for the greens.. at least they take the impending climate crisis seriously as opposed to Looney leo who thinks global warming will be a good thing FFS.. and to those who scoff at the greens lack of 'economic nous' , I say .. it was all the economic geniuses in FF who buried us financially, ( irish national debt is still 250 billion euros) and it was FF and FG who have enjoyed a cosy 'confidence and supply' partnership in recent years .. thats not democracy .. Wake up folks. If you keep voting for the same parties the outcome will be the same every single time.

Much sense made here. I really want to vote Green too but they have Eamonn Ryan at the helm. His suggestion that wolves could be re-introduced to Ireland (when our biggest national park, Killarney, is only 170 sq kilometres) displays a lot of ignorance on a subject he should know more about. Going by the comments here it looks like we will have another few years of FF/FG but with Micheal 'in terms of' Martin in the driving seat. Pretty astounding considering his ties to Bertie Ahern politics.

In the interests of the Nation (their power and party sorry) they will do it. I think they have similar interests.

If SF cut ties with their “old guard” and let the whiff of cordite dissipate they really could be a party to take seriously.

They have some good potential candidate in the likes of Doherty, O’Broin, Boylan and Carty, whether you like them or not.

But it’s the “men behind the wire”, the funeral attenders and the ones with the “chequered” past that stop any “reasonable” voter from giving them a preference.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

If SF cut ties with their “old guard” and let the whiff of cordite dissipate they really could be a party to take seriously.

They have some good potential candidate in the likes of Doherty, O’Broin, Boylan and Carty, whether you like them or not.

But it’s the “men behind the wire”, the funeral attenders and the ones with the “chequered” past that stop any “reasonable” voter from giving them a preference.

Does that mean that Fine “The Sash” Gael won’t get a vote from any “reasonable” people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Government, running a country, managing difficulties,never fully solving them isn't rocket science, it's just ever thus

People who mistakenly think parties who were never in government, who pulpet complain and promise the heaven's should be reminded of Syriza

That's what happens if you promise the earth and enter government
    You Disappoint
    Usually in a big way

No prizes which party here in Ireland invited Syriza to their Ard Fheis but dropped them like hot coals when Reality bit and they no longer suited the promise the heaven's narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Just off the bus and Mary Hanafin’s team are already putting up election posters 🙄 it has begun...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Government, running a country, managing difficulties,never fully solving them isn't rocket science, it's just ever thus

People who mistakenly think parties who were never in government, who pulpet complain and promise the heaven's should be reminded of Syriza

That's what happens if you promise the earth and enter government
    You Disappoint
    Usually in a big way

No prizes which party here in Ireland invited Syriza to their Ard Fheis but dropped them like hot coals when Reality bit and they no longer suited the promise the heaven's narrative

This reads like a haiku.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

mlem123 wrote: »
    Just off the bus and Mary Hanafin’s team are already putting up election posters �� it has begun...

Oh dear god not her again!

Sorry now, like many others I will never take them seriously at all. They did not cull the people you refer to (behind the wire) and the whiff of cordite is always just below the surface for me.

So no I would never give them a scratch ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmm, Carty who freely admitted he'd be straight back from Europe once the election came!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes the party that believes in magic money trees and is for massive immigration of god knows who from god knows where.

Ehh no thanks.

I am not allowed discuss …

mlem123 wrote: »
    Just off the bus and Mary Hanafin’s team are already putting up election posters �� it has begun...

What is it about this woman? She seems to be on the FF ticket, so even more reason for me to say no to FF.

I know there are many candidates out there of every hue whom people might resent, hate, dislike etc. but this one. Sorry, never, and I hope the people in her constituency realise it too. But that's their choice I know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What is it about this woman? She seems to be on the FF ticket, so even more reason for me to say no to FF.

I know there are many candidates out there of every hue whom people might resent, hate, dislike etc. but this one. Sorry, never, and I hope the people in her constituency realise it too. But that's their choice I know this.
    She may be in the running this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Sorry now, like many others I will never take them seriously at all. They did not cull the people you refer to (behind the wire) and the whiff of cordite is always just below the surface for me.

So no I would never give them a scratch ever.

But yet you would take the likes of ff seriously, a party that bankrupted the country. The whiff of corruption is always below the surface for me.

Billcarson wrote: »
    But yet you would take the likes of ff seriously, a party that bankrupted the country. The whiff of corruption is always below the surface for me.

Not to mention 'looking after our own', Denis O'Brien's best pals Fine Gael, the claims and Empire party.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't know if i'll bother voting.

FG - No chance.
    FF - Just a different version of FG
    Greens - Not a hope, they'll tax everything that isn't green and destroy the country.
    SF - If they got rid of loopy Lou and put Pearse in charge I really would consider for the 1st time in 30 years of voting for them but not ML in charge.
    Independents - waste of time.

So I think i'll just sit at home on Saturday the 8th as there really is no point.

Does that mean that Fine “The Sash” Gael won’t get a vote from any “reasonable” people?

8WaNpcb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So Matt enlighten us on your favourite party.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I don't really care who wins.
    They're all the same.

Advertisement