Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't know if i'll bother voting.

FG - No chance.
    FF - Just a different version of FG
    Greens - Not a hope, they'll tax everything that isn't green and destroy the country.
    SF - If they got rid of loopy Lou and put Pearse in charge I really would consider for the 1st time in 30 years of voting for them but not ML in charge.
    Independents - waste of time.

So I think i'll just sit at home on Saturday the 8th as there really is no point.

You mean Pearse "I am really an engineer" Doherty. :rolleyes:

No never vote for those planks.
    They still have Garda murderer apologists as TDs in the party
    and their economic and social policies just mean screw the taxpayer.

Maybe if you scraped a few good ones from each place you might get something, but the shyte displayed in the Presidential when they all jumped on Casey for his actual measured and valid comments means I think they are now all liars and shyte to some extent.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

jmayo wrote: »
    So Matt enlighten us on your favourite party.

Again? Well okay so... I know how important it is for the whatabout 'argument'.

I'm voting SD/Indie and....wait for it....SF, but not O'Snodaigh.

Won't vote FF/FG anyway. Can't do it.
    I've voted for everyone at one time or another, except FF.

We'll get a FF led something I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hmm, Carty who freely admitted he'd be straight back from Europe once the election came!

He’ll be fine as long as he doesn’t claim expenses!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The word was that it would be the 7th or the 14th for a while.

There was a drive last year to register a lot of young voters. They will only be registered as of the 15th. So this might have been a factor in the date that was chosen.

Posters of Varadkar went up before the election was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Or maybe I'm caught in a horrible trap where I can easily afford the mortgage repayments on a house but the cost of renting the exact same house is crippling my ability to put a deposit together. As a single applicant on €70,000 with a €50,000 deposit I could spend €295,000 which wouldn't buy a two bed apartment in Dublin, because of my job I will always have to work in Dublin.

I am of the opinion that someone earning double the average industrial wage should be able to afford an apartment. I don't want anything for free, I just want a system that makes it possible for me to pay for it and doesn't leave me stranded renting in perpetuity.

But do continue, politics is moving away from valuing the truth you might as well ride the wave.

hard to offer affordable houses to people like yourself and many others. When you are paying a fortune to house an entire building of social housing tenants in luxury apartments in dundrum, with market rents of 3k a month! 3k for workers, probably E30 a month for some of those tenants, if they bother paying :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my inbox consists of nothing but warning and bans , mostly from attacks on FG. I got a recent ban from the politics forum for an attack on varadkar. But honestly, I think I may have to vote for that farce as the best of an appalling lot. If we vote FF as a protest vote and they screw things up again and they are more likely to do that than FG. I dont think I can bear another recession Mark2. Certainly not one, that we partially brought on ourselves!

The housing situation is the only thing that I believe FF might do better, but what plans do they have in store? trying to pressure and blackmail the regulator into allowing higher borrowings, which just means more debt for buyers?

you vote FG though despite their appalling performance and if they win the most seats, it actually just shows them that no matter how poorly they perform, basically they wont lose power, because people dont see a party that will reward taxpayers. they have no where to go!

It is proven now beyond doubt, two parties, several decades, two booms! Absolute failure. Absolute useless morons, the other shower who are incompetent beyond belief and have no intention of governing! I despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,781 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    SF are goosed, I can't ever see them in government

They should be given a chance, could they be that bad :o

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They should be given a chance, could they be that bad :o

No they should not!
    The country would be broke in a fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Augme

blanch152 wrote: »
    Micheal Martin has ruled out going in with Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail haven't. There are plenty of leaders-in-waiting prepared to do the deal.

So after Michael martin leads to becoming the largest party on the state he will be challenged as leader and lose, because he won't go into power with sinn Fein. Yea, can't see that happening st all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

After the scandals over past year (not even going further back than that) Anyone who votes Fine Gael does not care about

1. Homeless
    2. Politicians ripping the country off with false expenses claims/not bothering to vote/voting for each other when not there
    3. Health System
    4. Unemployment Rates (getting put on a scheme is not employment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    my inbox consists of nothing but warning and bans , mostly from attacks on FG. I got a recent ban from the politics forum for an attack on varadkar. But honestly, I think I may have to vote for that farce as the best of an appalling lot. If we vote FF as a protest vote and they screw things up again and they are more likely to do that than FG. I dont think I can bear another recession Mark2. Certainly not one, that we partially brought on ourselves!

The housing situation is the only thing that I believe FF might do better, but what plans do they have in store? trying to pressure and blackmail the regulator into allowing higher borrowings, which just means more debt for buyers?

you vote FG though despite their appalling performance and if they win the most seats, it actually just shows them that no matter how poorly they perform, basically they wont lose power, because people dont see a party that will reward taxpayers. they have no where to go!

It is proven now beyond doubt, two parties, several decades, two booms! Absolute failure. Absolute useless morons, the other shower who are incompetent beyond belief and have no intention of governing! I despair!

I'm shocked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The word was that it would be the 7th or the 14th for a while.

There was a drive last year to register a lot of young voters. They will only be registered as of the 15th. So this might have been a factor in the date that was chosen.

Posters of Varadkar went up before the election was announced.
    Dont want younger people voting. It wouldnt suit FG so just stop them voting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Two party politics one or the other of FF or FG will be the senior party no other political institution has the numbers to unseat these two, even a rainbow coalition of the smaller parties would be impossible due to the differing party manifestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'd predict a fractured Dail, with no party getting more than 30% of the seats.

Tons of Independent TDs and a weak coalition government.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,057 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'd predict a fractured Dail, with no party getting more than 30% of the seats.

Tons of Independent TDs and a weak coalition government.

Polling figures and the LE would suggest fewer Independents than currently. Some high profile retirements, reduced feedstock of replacement Independents with profiles, less generalised anger (its more specific now) and also the pathetic performance of the Independents that went in to Government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If you vote FG you are essentially condoning the following;

Maria Bailey
    Dara Murphy
    Josepha Madigan
    Alan Farrell

And encouraging all future government TDs to gorge at the taxpayer financed trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Name them and how do you know?

John McGuinness and Eamon O’Cuiv are on the record in favour of a deal with SF and there are others in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Two party politics one or the other of FF or FG will be the senior party no other political institution has the numbers to unseat these two, even a rainbow coalition of the smaller parties would be impossible due to the differing party manifestos.

That would be gas altogether, SF, Labour and the hard left running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean that may be a reality down the line but just from the way the dail numbers will likely work out that's not a reality in 2020. I mean FF and FG in the past used to get a huge proportion of the total election vote with labour getting the majority of the rest with a few independents thrown in. That has clearly changed but it's not changed enough to change the reality of over ninety years(FF founded in 1927 and FG founded in 1932) of it being one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Billcarson wrote: »
    But yet you would take the likes of ff seriously, a party that bankrupted the country. The whiff of corruption is always below the surface for me.

Sorry now, I don't think I ever said that I would take FF seriously anymore.

As you so rightly say, they will revert to type in time IMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If you vote FG you are essentially condoning the following;

Maria Bailey
    Dara Murphy
    Josepha Madigan
    Alan Farrell

And encouraging all future government TDs to gorge at the taxpayer financed trough.

Well no you wouldn't be as I see from people in both FG and FF that I know who can differentiate between a TD of the party and the party as a whole. As much as there have been members of FG and FF over the years who have done things which aren't acceptable it's not a reflection of those parties. That goes for not just the two big parties either. I understand that this may come off as ridiculously naive and hopeful but it's how I chose to see politics and life in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Riskymove wrote: »
    Well, the Greens are running candidates in every constituency

Yeah but nobody wants more taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Idbatterim wrote: »

Dude, you might want to calm down a bit. You’re in danger of giving yourself an ulcer. Decide who you are going to vote for and vote. It isn’t deciding if you’ll leave the wife or donate a kidney to your mate.

8WaNpcb.jpg

Ah well done. I’d say you’ve been dying to use that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Celebrating Leo's record...

https://youtu.be/ye4XGG99wM4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well no you wouldn't be as I see from people in both FG and FF that I know who can differentiate between a TD of the party and the party as a whole. As much as there have been members of FG and FF over the years who have done things which aren't acceptable it's not a reflection of those parties. That goes for not just the two big parties either. I understand that this may come off as ridiculously naive and hopeful but it's how I chose to see politics and life in general.

Any party is the sum of it's members and how it deals with them.
    We really need up our accountability expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

But sure the Left voters have got everything going. What can entice them anymore?

The fiction that the current FG (or FF) are right wing is a total joke. They are not for the working slogging person at all anymore. The left are looked after very well in this country, but it will never be enough for them.

I'm done with Left politics. Look after the workers and contributors, their time has come, but who will deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's hard for vote for FG considering it's Varadkar and Coveney who really don't seem to give a crap about people.

I don't think Martin does either tbh, but it's at least not saying that FGs performance has been acceptable.

Id ideally vote for neither but those turkey's are better than the others at least imo. Id ideally prefer an actual economic right party going into government who might give a crap about the working people of the country and not increase welfare spending.

Any party is the sum of it's members and how it deals with them.

O’Snodaigh is still a member of SF isn’t he?

• Advertisement

Ah well done. I’d say you’ve been dying to use that one.

It’s pretty class in fairness.

Advertisement