Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Thread - Dublin West - SEE MOD NOTE IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fingers crossed for O'Gorman anyway. 6th attempt for Donnelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

You can see the first count of votes here

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/dublin-west

It's safe to say that no one predicted Donnelly topping the vote. The boards poll was way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The big sets of transferable votes are Donnellys surplus of 3.7K, then roughly 1000 from the Soc Dems, 1200 from Aontu, 2000 from FG2 and 2400 from Labour.

('m going to assume that Leo is over the line by the time FG2 votes are spread, so her transfers will bypass Leo)

Ruth v Roderic in transfers.
    I'd expect RC to do better from Donnelly.
    Also think she will do better from Aontu but by a smaller margin.
    But RoG will surely do better from Soc Dems, FG2 and Labour.

I'd definitely prefer to be in RoG's position with a 600 lead now.

An even bigger surprise than Donnelly topping the poll is Peter Casey getting 495.
    Did he even step foot in the constituency during the campaign? Who is voting for him? Are they spoiling their vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Coppinger said on TV she'll benefit hugely from the Donnelly transfers. Hopefully she isn't right, but I think she might be. There was a similar situation in the local elections, and that one went to the Greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

An even bigger surprise than Donnelly topping the poll is Peter Casey getting 495.
    Did he even step foot in the constituency during the campaign? Who is voting for him? Are they spoiling their vote?

A big crowd from that house the Irish first gang were voting him number 1 as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's almost embarrassing to be living somewhere where nearly 500 people would vote for that dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Count 2 currently being announced, Donnelly surplus about to shake things up... Joe.ie saying has Leo missed out on Count 2 :eek:

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1226576088463216641

Update:

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1226577462064226304?s=20

Wow less transfers than Racist Casey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Normally you'd be sanctioned for name-calling but since it's Casey.....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1n9wfF6dKeL9QlwKaEWb5Ds_VAY577HBjmsso0ObMj5A/htmlview

So, Coppinger did pick up the bulk of the transfers after all. Will be gutted if O'Gorman ends up missing out yet again.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Normally you'd be sanctioned for name-calling but since it's Casey.....

Yeah, sorry about that, although at least I didn't call him what I was originally thinking of. :pac:

Polar101 wrote: »
    Coppinger said on TV she'll benefit hugely from the Donnelly transfers. Hopefully she isn't right, but I think she might be. There was a similar situation in the local elections, and that one went to the Greens.

****, unfortunately she seems to be, she put about 1,000 votes into O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

That's true but a few big transfers to come with Burton and Currie and if Varadkar and Chambers is elected before then , then O'Gorman stands a good chance.

Is there another constituency like this in terms of socioeconomic and political extremes?

thomasj wrote: »
    That's true but a few big transfers to come with Burton and Currie and if Varadkar and Chambers is elected before then , then O'Gorman stands a good chance.

I think Roderic will benefit most from those transfers, but if Leo and Chambers just about make it across the line there won't be much to distribute.

Zaph wrote: »
    I think Roderic will benefit most from those transfers, but if Leo and Chambers just about make it across the line there won't be much to distribute.

Oh yeah but if they're elected by the time Burton's and/or Curries votes are to be distributed then there should be more transfers there for O'Gorman hopefully

I'd say Varadkar will be elected on this count.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Is there another constituency like this in terms of socioeconomic and political extremes?

Interesting question, and one I'm gonna start trying to figure out for myself now! The RTE overview on their constituency results page paints it quite starkly:
    Lie of the land:
    Dublin West is effectively three constituencies rolled into one – from the more middle-class areas around Castleknock - across the canal to largely working-class areas such as Mulhuddart and Corduff – to the huge Celtic Tiger developments at Ongar on the Dublin-Meath border.
    Parts of the constituency saw the biggest population increases in the country at the most recent Census – with Dublin West now taking in 121,897 people.
    There are no changes to the boundaries in this socially diverse constituency.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/dublin-west

Ruth nearly 1000 ahead on the 3rd count.

Ruth - 6430
    O'Gorman - 5471

The remaining eliminations should favour Roderic overall, but 1000 is a lot to make up.
    1250 from the Soc Dems next up, followed by 1500ish from Aontu, then FG2 and finally Joan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Leo still not over the line after 3rd count!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Leo still 20 short after 4th count.

Coppinger 6,808
    O'Gorman 5,919

Seems like a fairly big gap.

Edit: Chambers 7,385

Coppinger not that far behind Chambers actually.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Leo still 20 short after 4th count.

Who's have put any sort of money on that pre election.

Hurrache wrote: »

Dublin Bay North has to be a candidate for this. Includes Coolock/Darndale on it's west, Clontarf on the east and Howth peninsula in the north.

Leo's been elected on count 5

From RTE : Emer Currie (FG) and Joan Burton (Lab) eliminated. The sixth count will be the last.

JC: 7836
    RC: 6991
    RoG: 6270

Squeeky bum time!

You'd have to think far too many will go to Jack Chambers on this count for the Green to have a chance.
    Roderic O'Gorman really needed it to be a straight head to head against Ruth Coppinger when Currie and Burton were being eliminated. But Jack has unperformed without ever being in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

KGLady wrote: »
    From RTE : Emer Currie (FG) and Joan Burton (Lab) eliminated. The sixth count will be the last.

JC: 7836
    RC: 6991
    RoG: 6270

Squeeky bum time!

Any chance JC will be eliminated?

Any chance JC will be eliminated?

Not really with those numbers.

• Advertisement

You'd have to think far too many will go to Jack Chambers on this count for the Green to have a chance.
    Roderic O'Gorman really needed it to be a straight head to head against Ruth Coppinger when Currie and Burton were being eliminated. But Jack has unperformed without ever being in danger.

What happens the surplus if he exceeds the quota?

Advertisement