Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Thread - Dublin West - SEE MOD NOTE IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Coppinger had the same tactics in 2016

Vote for me as a woman representative and sending out last minute desperate messages. It worked that time but it won't work again

The secret poll thread poster had Varadkar, Chambers, Donnelly and O´Gorman. Exactly how I would see it and in that order too

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

L1011 wrote: »
    I was surprised just how desperate / pleading Coppingers posters are when I was driving through this morning

I was irked by the ones with phrasing like "dont let Ruth be pushed out of the Dail". Some language around being squeezed out too. Its creating a persecution narrative out of the reality of OUR voting preferences. The unsurprising cheek of them. Gven the antics of her supporters in 2016 knocking on doors late into the night before the polls opened claiming outlandish ****e in order to play voters against two other candidates, this notion of her being pushed out is even more galling.

Joan also was pushing hard on the 'risk of no woman representative' angle earlier in the week, and I almost fell into empathy and considered giving her a slightly higher preference ... however she made assumptions based upon where I was when speaking to her and she landed a classest jibe about other parts of the constituency, including where I live. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She has new fliers out with her whinging that her seat may be at risk with Joe Higgins photoshopped into the pic with her, but with no reference to him in the text. Bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

She had someone driving around Laurel Lodge and Carpenterstown last night with a loudspeaker on top of the car, yelling to vote for Ruth for women...I'm a woman and it's just pushing her further down my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

It’s pretty telling that they can’t arrive at a better argument than that. No real accomplishments beyond the whinging.

With the Shinners up where they are now that path for left wing votes through Mulhuddart is very very small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone know if there are rules about posters on railings and in estates?

Loads of SF posters in the estates around huntstown, and some tied up at the railings right outside the school.

Chambers had some in some road signage too, directly underneath the sign which I thought would be a Nono

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are rules about posters on railings and in estates?

Loads of SF posters in the estates around huntstown, and some tied up at the railings right outside the school.

Chambers had some in some road signage too, directly underneath the sign which I thought would be a Nono

For anything you don't think is right, regardless of candidate - take pictures and report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Based on early tallies from RTE, Donnolly going to top the poll.
    Coppinger and Burton could both lose their seats.

ongarite wrote: »
    Based on early tallies from RTE, Donnolly going to top the poll.
    Coppinger and Burton could both lose their seats.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, only a small percentage tallied and the boxes from the tally don't include any of the west of the constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

That tally has been updated and FG have conceded that Paul Donnelly will top the poll. He has 25% of the boxes opened. The first count is expected at 3.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

85% complete now according to FG online . Based on projected quota, Donnelly will be elected on 1st count, Varadkar should be close enough to it , if not elected on the 1st count and Chambers 3rd.

The 4th seat is expected to be a dogfight between Coppinger and O'Gorman. Donnellys surplus might sway in one direction but there's still 4 Castleknock boxes to be opened alongside Corduff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Roderic has a slight lead over Coppinger after the tallies have been completed. The one fear I'd have is that she'll benefit more from Donnelly's surplus than him, and there won't be much to distribute from Leo or Chambers if they creep in over the line. Roderic could end up relying on transfers from Burton and Currie, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough for him.

Taken from here https://twitter.com/RTEdublinWEST
    * Corrected the mistake on the % of Ruth and Gorman

100% Tally

Turnout 57% (42,375)
    Predicted quota 8,475

Donnelly SF 28% 11,838
    Varadkar FG 20% 8,321
    Chambers FF 16% 6,758
    O’Gorman Grn 11% 4,826
    Coppinger SOL-PBP 10%
    Burton Lab 4% 2,058

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

100% Tally

Turnout 57% (42,375)
    Predicted quota 8,475

Donnelly SF 28% 11,838
    Varadkar FG 20% 8,321
    Chambers FF 16% 6,758
    Coppinger SOL-PBP 12%
    O’Gorman Grn 8% 4,826
    Burton Lab 4% 2,058

They made a mistake on the percentage for O'Gorman, he's slightly ahead of Coppinger in what looks like a seat that will go right to the wire

I corrected the %. I can't believe I have reposted a mistake. I hear by resign from commenting on tallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RoryMac wrote: »
    They made a mistake on the percentage for O'Gorman, he's slightly ahead of Coppinger in what looks like a seat that will go right to the wire

I just cannot make up my mind. O'Gorman will benefit from both Varadkar and Chambers but Donnelly will transfer almost universally to Coppinger.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I just cannot make up my mind. O'Gorman will benefit from both Varadkar and Chambers but Donnelly will transfer almost universally to Coppinger.

Yeah Coppinger will probably have a decent lead after the surplus of Donnelly's votes are distributed but O'Gorman will slowly claw it back. Read some people saying they don't expect a large transfer from Donnelly to Coppinger but don't know the reasoning on that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah Coppinger will probably have a decent lead after the surplus of Donnelly's votes are distributed but O'Gorman will slowly claw it back. Read some people saying they don't expect a large transfer from Donnelly to Coppinger but don't know the reasoning on that

I think there huge antipathy between the candidates and their teams alright going back to previous campaigns, but that's not a reason for his votes not to transfer to her.
    Transfers are rarely as clear-cut as people think though, she'll get around 33% I'd say but plenty will go elsewhere (SF->FF has correlation, SF->Green is plausible),keeping it tight.

Read some people saying they don't expect a large transfer from Donnelly to Coppinger but don't know the reasoning on that

There's a large dose of acrimony between the two, they don't want people giving preferences to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Think Roderic will be very transfer friendly, Coppinger less so. Keeping my fingers crossed for him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Turnouts down near 10% in Dublin west from 2016. Given it was being reported as a strong turnout around the place, this is surprising.

General antipathy towards incumbents? So rather than voting for or against, just staying out of it altogether?

I think it's a pretty poor line up, it's like your either on the left, or not. Very little for most people to give more than 2 or 3 preferences.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Turnouts down near 10% in Dublin west from 2016. Given it was being reported as a strong turnout around the place, this is surprising.

General antipathy towards incumbents? So rather than voting for or against, just staying out of it altogether?

I wonder would the election being on the Saturday have effected that. The weather in the afternoon wasn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My polling station was very busy. I'm usually the only person there

I wonder would the election being on the Saturday have effected that. The weather in the afternoon wasn't great either.

Nah. I worked a polling station in South Dublin yesterday. The pattern of voter attendance changed over a weekday election, with a quiet early morning, a mental 11-2, then quiet during the rugby and a steady stream thereafter till about 8pm, then dead. After all that though, turnout was roughly the same as 2016.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's a large dose of acrimony between the two, they don't want people giving preferences to the other.

Good point. I wasn't really considering that for Donnelly to do SO well, they've have to paint Coppinger as the villain, reducing the likelihood of transfers.

I'm also hoping for ROG to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

* Corrected the mistake on the % of Ruth and Gorman

100% Tally

Turnout 57% (42,375)
    Predicted quota 8,475

Donnelly SF 28% 11,838
    Varadkar FG 20% 8,321
    Chambers FF 16% 6,758
    O’Gorman Grn 11% 4,826
    Coppinger SOL-PBP 10%
    Burton Lab 4% 2,058

Love to see O'Gorman get in instead of Coppinger.

All Eyes On Rafah

Love to see O'Gorman get in instead of Coppinger.

Hopefully good news for O'Gorman

https://twitter.com/RTEdublinWEST/status/1226536077126774785?s=19

Donnelly himself said they're going to one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Larbre34 wrote: »

Wouldn't be so sure about Donnelly's transfers. Coppinger lost any potential transfer vote for me the way she kept banging on and on about women's issues and the women's vote. Maybe didn't realise that she was alienating 1/2 her potential electorate with those very strongly projected amtagonistic views. Perhaps there wasn't a man in her camp with the balls to tell her to quieten down, that she was damaging her prospects.

The Greens on the other hand should be transfer friendly from both sexes. I don't think Roderick succeeded or tried to alienate anyone.

Advertisement