Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband won't work on laptop

Options
  • 14-01-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I have Virgin media BB and it works fine on the following items

TV
    Android box
    PS4
    Phones
    Tablet
    1 Laptop

But my other laptop it just won't work. It connects to the wireless signal but says no connection.

I can connect to my phones hotspot with the laptop..

I've rebooted the router and also the laptop.

Is there anyway VM could be blocking this laptop from connecting to the net ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

NeVeR wrote: »
    I have Virgin media BB and it works fine on the following items

TV
    Android box
    PS4
    Phones
    Tablet
    1 Laptop

But my other laptop it just won't work. It connects to the wireless signal but says no connection.

I can connect to my phones hotspot with the laptop..

I've rebooted the router and also the laptop.

Is there anyway VM could be blocking this laptop from connecting to the net ?

Could be various reasons (not VM blocking), one of them DNS issue.
    Try and see if helps

in CMD

ipconfig /flushdns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks for your reply.

That didn't do the job.

Do you have anymore suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,604 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you left click on the Internet connection icon in the bottom right of the screen and it shows available connections does it have "Connected, secured" for yours?

No it says "No Internet, Secured"

As i said above.. The misses laptop is connected and working.. my phone is connected and working getting over 200mbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,604 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you a network cable to connect to the laptop to see if that gives you the internet, that would rule out some security setting on the laptop itself.

Thanks for your reply.

That didn't do the job.

Do you have anymore suggestions ?
    Bit more detail about device please:
    Make/model
    OS

Does device has internet if connected over Ethernet cable(if has port)

You could try:

run troubleshooting on network adapter(right click on network icon bottom right of the screen)

remove(logically) WiFi network card and allow system to add it again(Device manager>Network adapters>(right click on WiFi adapter) Uninstall>Action(tab on top of window)>Scan for hardware changes)

Also could you post output of CMD:

ipconfig /all

just connected via cable and its working fine.. 500mb

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Try setting the router to only use 2.4ghz WiFi.

Then try only 5ghz.

See if either let your laptop connect.
    I had the issue before on an older laptop. Would only connect to my router when I set it to the older type WiFi.

• Advertisement

Bit more detail about device please:
    Make/model
    OS

Does device has internet if connected over Ethernet cable(if has port)

You could try:

run troubleshooting on network adapter(right click on network icon bottom right of the screen)

remove(logically) WiFi network card and allow system to add it again(Device manager>Network adapters>(right click on WiFi adapter) Uninstall>Action(tab on top of window)>Scan for hardware changes)

win 10 pro
    Lenovo T470
    yes does work when wired

I'll try the rest now and report back.
    Do I need to be connected to the broken wireless when doing the ipconfig/all ?

Do I need to be connected to the broken wireless when doing the ipconfig/all ?
    Yes, both

timetogo1 wrote: »

Then try only 5ghz.

I had the issue before on an older laptop. Would only connect to my router when I set it to the older type WiFi.

I do have the router split.. the virgin media guy did it when here.. I'm not sure how to revert the change.

I do have the router split..
    ??

Then try only 5ghz.

This worked.
    I disabled 5ghz and I was able to connect to the 2.4ghz the connection is slow though.. around 10mb - I know i'm wireless.. but was expecting better

??

I meant I had both 2.4 and 5 ghz turned on.. probably not the correct lingo.

I've tunred 5ghz off now.

This worked.
    I disabled 5ghz and I was able to connect to the 2.4ghz the connection is slow though.. around 10mb - I know i'm wireless.. but was expecting better

You can split the ssid.
    Set one ssid name on 2.4ghz and a different name on the 5ghz.

Then just use your laptop on the 2.4ghz one and leave your devices on the 5ghz one.

If the same ssid name was being used on both frequencies that was probably causing the problem for your laptop.

I meant I had both 2.4 and 5 ghz turned on.. probably not the correct lingo.

I've tunred 5ghz off now.
    Might be my lingo is off. Most current domestic routers have 2.4 and 5 by default - no action needed.

You can split the ssid.
    Set one ssid on 2.4ghz and a different one on the 5ghz.

Then just use your laptop on the 2.4ghz one and leave your devices on the 5ghz one.

If the same ssid was being used on both frequencies that was probably causing the problem for your laptop.

This was how it was done.

I had my laptop on the 5ghz and other things like IP cameras / tablets / ps4 on the 2.4ghz

This was how it was done.

I had my laptop on the 5ghz and other things like IP cameras / tablets / ps4 on the 2.4ghz

Well fek then.
    Do a speed test using your phone. You should be getting more than 10mb/s on 2.4ghz. It might be the laptop that's slow.

It's not a good fix to just disable 5ghz. If the only device with the issue is the laptop try updating the drivers.
    If all else fails something like a homeplug might help. I got one of those and use it at my desk as I find it more reliable in my office for VPN. They're not hugely expensive.

Is it a work or old laptop?

Edit: hang on, you had the laptop on 5ghz? What happened when you tried the 2.4ghz ssid when they were split?

• Advertisement

Well fek then.
    Do a speed test using your phone. You should be getting more than 10mb/s on 2.4ghz. It might be the laptop that's slow.

It's not a good fix to just disable 5ghz. If the only device with the issue is the laptop try updating the drivers.
    If all else fails something like a homeplug might help. I got one of those and use it at my desk as I find it more reliable in my office for VPN. They're not hugely expensive.

Is it a work or old laptop?

Edit: hang on, you had the laptop on 5ghz? What happened when you tried the 2.4ghz ssid when they were split?

Just retested the speed.. it's up to about 60/70mb now kind of jumping all over the place.

this is a work laptop which did work from the home network before. There has been no updates to the laptop from IT.

The laptop didn't work on either 2.4 or 5 today - but in the past it worked ( i can't recall what i has it connected to before.. probably 2.4. )

Advertisement