Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebranding St Patricks day for a greener future

Options
  • 14-01-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

It strikes me that we have a unique opportunity to take St Patrick's day into the 21st century by modernising the idea into a way to promote a green future. Of course St Patrick (whether he existed or not) should still be the central figure of the festival but the central message should be raising awareness about the climate emergency. We should use the platform that is St Patrick's day to encourage people to change their behaviour so there will still be a planet to celebrate St Patrick's day on in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Paddygreen wrote: »
    It strikes me that we have a unique opportunity to take St Patrick's day into the 21st century by modernising the idea into a way to promote a green future. Of course St Patrick (whether he existed or not) should still be the central figure of the festival but the central message should be raising awareness about the climate emergency. We should use the platform that is St Patrick's day to encourage people to change their behaviour so there will still be a planet to celebrate St Patrick's day on in the future.

Introduce a Green tax on all Beer then served on that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

NSAman wrote: »

But only on green beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...then pay the tax to the people recycling the beer. Win-win.

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...then pay the tax to the people recycling the beer. Win-win.

We tried that... it was called water charges..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Didn't he make snakes extinct in Ireland? Hardly a role model.

• Advertisement

Didn't he make snakes extinct in Ireland? Hardly a role model.

Far few current snakes he could make extinct in the country... shame he wouldn't come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You see an opportunity to hijack a festival to promote an agenda that means something to you? How about no, your idea makes as much sense as the term “climate emergency”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Probably best if it were banned altogether, all those ministerial air miles, not to mention the air miles for the American marching bands, and on a local level, all the driving to parades to look at smokey vintage diesel tractors and gloriously smelly TVO tractors, driving by. The planet would probably last 10 years and 10 minutes if you banned LA le Phadraig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Great idea. We could have An Taoiseach and his acolytes cross the Atlantic by raft for the White House ceremonies and the NY City Parades etc.

Greta Thunberg could be invited to lead the main St Patrick's Day parade here in Ireland.

Only electric vehicles allowed to partake in parades and floats nationwide etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If they could form a government soon enough after the election, the Jeanie Johnson would have them in the USA for Patty's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We'll get Greta to sail here and paint her green!

We'll get Greta to sail here and paint her green!

She'd make a great troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

She'd make a great troll!

We don’t need to import those.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Ireland has a unique opportunity to step into the international limelight when it comes to promoting climate solutions, we could make the theme of the festival green for real. We could actually incorporate it into outer national festival. Leaders lead by example. Several people I have spoken to really gel with the idea, which I know is in its infancy, ie needs a bit of work. That's why I'm throwing it out there. I don't know why I'm being met with flippancy and passive hostility.

Ireland has a unique opportunity to step into the international limelight when it comes to promoting climate solutions, we could make the theme of the festival green for real. We could actually incorporate it into outer national festival. Leaders lead by example. Several people I have spoken to really gel with the idea, which I know is in its infancy, ie needs a bit of work. That's why I'm throwing it out there. I don't know why I'm being met with flippancy and passive hostility.

Maybe because we are sick of using OUR national day as a Political Statement?

Maybe because we are sick of using OUR national day as a Political Statement?

It is an international day now. Toxic nationalism should be removed from the equation. Thankfully parades organisers are starting to realise this and have successfully in many instances raised awarness for Lgbtq issues, just one example. It is just so obvious to me that the festival is a perfect conduit for the promotion and desimination of climate solutions and the core principles of what it means to be a well adjusted modern human being.

It is an international day now. Toxic nationalism should be removed from the equation. Thankfully parades organisers are starting to realise this and have successfully in many instances raised awarness for Lgbtq issues, just one example. It is just so obvious to me that the festival is a perfect conduit for the promotion and desimination of climate solutions and the core principles of what it means to be a well adjusted modern human being.

It's an Irish day!!! Purely an Irish day.... where the rest of the world want to be Irish.

It is not a political statement day... it is not a "GREEN AWARENESS DAY FOR GREEN ISSUES" it is a Day to Welcome all people to Irishness.....

Why do YOU people always have to try and destroy heritage with Stupid one liners like TOXIC NATIONALISM... grow the hell up.

It's an Irish day!!! Purely an Irish day.... where the rest of the world want to be Irish.

It is not a political statement day... it is not a "GREEN AWARENESS DAY FOR GREEN ISSUES" it is a Day to Welcome all people to Irishness.....

Why do YOU people always have to try and destroy heritage with Stupid one liners like TOXIC NATIONALISM... grow the hell up.

"You people"?? Nationalism is toxic and should absolutely not be promoted in any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

"You people"?? Nationalism is toxic and should absolutely not be promoted in any form.

OK I'll play along.

Why is that? What's wrong with being proud of one's nationality, culture and history or at least recognising it as something unique among others.

Or are you a believer that there should be no borders, no individual culture, and that the future should reflect that?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Oi, you can't go anywhere these days without seeing a bloody nagger.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    OK I'll play along.

Why is that? What's wrong with being proud of one's nationality, culture and history or at least recognising it as something unique among others.

Or are you a believer that there should be no borders, no individual culture, and that the future should reflect that?

Imagine if there's no countries, it's easy if you try.

Imagine if there's no countries, it's easy if you try.

You clearly know well why you’re being met with flippancy.

You clearly know well why you’re being met with flippancy.

It is a refuge for the ignorant imo.

After religion, more bloodshed has occurred from being proud of the accident of where one was born while attempting to impose the traditions and norms of the motherland on the natives, than for any other reason in history.

10,000+ years of suffering because of Springfield vs Shelbyville, its quite perverse when you boil it down.

It is a refuge for the ignorant imo.

You’re still here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fine Gael suggestion.........rebrand St. Patrick's Day by moving away from green and putting more of an emphasis on tan. And black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Nah. **** off with all that ****e. LGBT issues can and are raised during pride (which is now a month long).

Paddy's day should be a non-political day of celebrating being Irish, which for most means getting gargled. And that's fair enough. Keep the politics out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Comhra wrote: »

Only electric vehicles allowed to partake in parades and floats nationwide etc.

You might have enough to run one, maybe two parades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Junkets all over the planet. Tourists flying into Ireland. Diesel engines idling as they slowly trundle along with floats on the back. Cans and single use plastics ranging from flags to plastic glasses left all over the place.

Paddys Day is grand as it is. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Because people are getting very tired of agenda pushers shoving their agenda into literally everything, that's why.

Not everything has to be about your neurotic obsessions, sometimes people just want to go out and enjoy a day of fun without being subject to yet another tedious lecture every time a mic appears at any occasion.

Do you know what would be novel? Actually making St. Patrick a central theme of the parade, when did it last actually have anything at all to do with St. Patrick?

Advertisement