Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joexit-is Joe back for 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I see friend of the show so to speak Pat Hickey doesn't need to pay back the €410k bail money that Association of National Olympic Committees gave him as a 'loan', I suppose ticket touting wasn't a croime in Brazil...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/olympic-body-writes-off-pat-hickey-s-400k-rio-bail-money-1.4174116

The whole affair has cost the Irish Olympic Committee between €1.5m and €2m. Never get a cent of that back, meaning a load of athletes can go fcuk themselves for the foreseeable future when it comes to competing there. They'll have to put up their own cash to compete.

And I suppose Duffy will claim Hickey was innocent because it's illegal to arrest someone in their dressing gown, or else Hickey's wife was pregnant and she asked to plss in the Brazilian policemans helmet, but he didn't have one, so the arrest is invalid.

The only thing that's certain is that it will never be discussed openly on LL, maybe with a couple of Hickey's mates lined up, but the great unwashed will not be put through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The thing that I have found really funny in the last week, since the election, is that anybody who has been pro-shinner has come on and talked about how "de media" were agin them. And Joe doesn't seem to have spotted for a second that most of them were talking about him.

I have no time for the Shinners either, but Duffy should never be hosting any show that is meant to be discussing elections, or anything to do with the Sinn Fein party as he is sooooooooo openly biased against them. And this of course permits them to portray themselves as the martyrs and get more votes.

I hope that Duffy has found the week humbling though. He certainly didn't like the talk of them raising the oul taxes on those over 100K. Jesus can you imagine if they took 90% off those earning over 200K, he would have to send back the Rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

The thing that I have found really funny in the last week, since the election, is that anybody who has been pro-shinner has come on and talked about how "de media" were agin them. And Joe doesn't seem to have spotted for a second that most of them were talking about him.

I have no time for the Shinners either, but Duffy should never be hosting any show that is meant to be discussing elections, or anything to do with the Sinn Fein party as he is sooooooooo openly biased against them. And this of course permits them to portray themselves as the martyrs and get more votes.

I hope that Duffy has found the week humbling though. He certainly didn't like the talk of them raising the oul taxes on those over 100K. Jesus can you imagine if they took 90% off those earning over 200K, he would have to send back the Rolls.

I don't think that is quite fair. Joe has been very balanced in all such matters. In fact he conducted or commissioned his own research which correctly predicted the outcome.

I don't think that is quite fair. Joe has been very balanced in all such matters. In fact he conducted or commissioned his own research which correctly predicted the outcome.

Tell us, what was in the envelope? I missed that part.

Tell us, what was in the envelope? I missed that part.

The envelope showed that Sinn Fein was the most popular party, as was borne out in de general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The envelope showed that Sinn Fein was the most popular party, as was borne out in de general election.

I don't think it did show that I think it showed that people were going to change who the voted for.

I'll check tomorrow if what say is true as I believe he said party names couldn't be mentioned at the Funny Friday show.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Talk about putting 2 + 2 together to get 5. That’s an interpretation of Mr. Duffy’s “research” that even Mr. Duffy would be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭mountain

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Do you think the big guy buys his groceries with money that has been subject to tax only at 12.5%?

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭mountain

Welcome back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

SF PRO "walking the talk" on the current Liveline promo.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

dvcireland wrote: »
    SF PRO "walking the talk" on the current Liveline promo.

Walking the talk before they even talked the walk, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

IrishTimes - Joe Duffy is in his element as Liveline callers pile into each other :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It’s Monday, election day plus two, and already on air discussions about coalition permutations are turning ugly. A Sinn Féin voter deems a partnership with Fianna Fáil as “very iffy”, rejecting outright any pairing with Fine Gael. This isn’t a problem for the Fine Gael supporter, who claims Sinn Féin has “blood on its hands”. Just half an hour into the conversation, the parties are hurling abuse at each other. Even by its own shouty standards, the first post-election edition of Liveline (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays) is a bad-tempered affair.
    Anyone hoping that the end of the election campaign means no more on-air political arguments has reckoned without Joe Duffy’s phone-in show.

The people may have spoken, but they haven’t talked to Joe yet.
    And after an election in which the tectonic plates of Irish politics lurched dramatically, there’s plenty to talk about. From the moment the lines are open, the calls pile in and the callers pile into each other.

And so it continues, with the same hypnotic cruelty of a cat toying with a wounded mouse
    On one level, the show provides a snapshot of why the country voted the way it did. Callers tell how they voted for Sinn Féin out of disillusionment with the political establishment: former Fianna Fáil voter Paul sums up the mood when he says he’s “fed up with the top two parties”. But what transforms the episode from rather obvious overview to cacophonous classic is the intervention of Fine Gael supporter Marian, whose well-spoken accent belies the ferocity of her partisanship.

While Marian’s factual arguments in favour of her “hero” Taoiseach Leo Varadkar are standard economic ones, it’s her formidable debating arsenal that really sets the show alight. She imperiously orders other callers to let her speak while dismissing them in patronisingly polite terms: “My dear, do you think houses are going to be shooting up like mushrooms?”
    Marian also harks back to Sinn Féin’s past association with republican violence, from her “blood on their hands” remark to asking: “What did Sinn Féin ever do, except rob a few banks?”

This last line is too much even for Duffy, who chastises her in that anguished tone he reserves for callers who he knows are delivering radio gold. Marian occasionally apologises for “going too far”, but when another listener, Nicola, accuses Fine Gael of having blood on its own hands for its stewardship of the health system, Marian resumes her genteel Rottweiler approach, to the point that a plea goes up: “Joe, can you get her to calm down?”

Duffy half-heartedly breaks up the clinch: like any good referee in a sparring match, he also knows that his audience likes nothing better than a good scrap. Even so, one hopes that when actual coalition negotiations begin, it’s a more civilised affair than Duffy’s debate.

Throughout all this, Duffy plays up his show’s role as an election bellwether. He reveals the results from a pre-election audience survey conducted at an outside broadcast some weeks previously, informing listeners that he’s opening the envelope with a theatrical flourish that would be excessive at the Academy Awards ceremony.

He launches impromptu telephone polls on potential coalition combinations, while ostentatiously announcing that the voting can’t be manipulated by repeat calls, presumably to deter Vladimir Putin from interfering. As an afterthought, he adds that this poll is just an “indication”. Among the entertaining arguments and colourful opinions, it’s a reminder that Liveline may give voice to people, but it’s not the voice of the people.

Coverage
    When it comes to the actual election, it’s Duffy’s station colleagues who deliver the real goods. For once, Ryan Tubridy isn’t indulging in the usual RTÉ logrolling when he praises the network’s news and current affairs department for its election coverage as he opens his RTÉ Radio 1 show on Tuesday morning.

mountain wrote: »
    Welcome back

Good to be back :pac: But I must be careful I am on probation :eek:

zell12 wrote: »

The absolute key line in that piece:

it’s a reminder that Liveline may give voice to people, but it’s not the voice of the people.

Good to be back :pac: But I must be careful I am on probation :eek:

Careful now!

The absolute key line in that piece:

it’s a reminder that Liveline may give voice to people, but it’s not the voice of the people.

That is open to interpretation. I believe that the key sentence is: the show provides a snapshot of why the country voted the way it did...Throughout all this, Duffy plays up his show’s role as an election bellwether"

Joe is the Godfather of Irish Radio...

That is open to interpretation. I believe that the key sentence is: the show provides a snapshot of why the country voted the way it did...Throughout all this, Duffy plays up his show’s role as an election bellwether"

It’s a definitive statement, and it’s clearly a dig. It’s not open to any other form of interpretation unless you’re biased towards the host, which given your history, is clearly the case.

It’s a definitive statement, and it’s clearly a dig. It’s not open to any other form of interpretation unless you’re biased towards the host, which given your history, is clearly the case.

I agree it is a dig...believe it or not we agree, so to speak

Do I think that Joe is more a voice for the people, and representative of the people, than the author of this article, yes I do.

This author has ben very critical of Ivan Yates, Matt Cooper, Katie Hannon, Marion Finucane, and others - so it does not surprise me that he would find very minor slight fault with Joe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Enough trolling and messing

• Registered Users Posts: 39,554 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

We ain'ta gotta no respecta.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He'll wake up with a horse's head on his pillow .

He'll wake up with a horse's head on his pillow .

Wat colour was de horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

neris wrote: »

Silly tweet - Joe and Pat never told nurses they should be happy with their salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

zell12 wrote: »

I am convinced that Mick Heaney fella who writes the radio piece for the Times does be on the Liveline thread.

BPKS wrote: »
    I am convinced that Mick Heaney fella who writes the radio piece for the Times does be on the Liveline thread.

I'll be happy to write a counter piece on the Joe Duffy Show if he is reading. It will be entitled Joe and is Amazing Omnipotent Show

I'll be happy to write a counter piece on the Joe Duffy Show if he is reading. It will be entitled Joe and is Amazing Omnipotent Show

That’s not how you spell “impotent”.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I pray for another election to properly put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I pray for another election to properly put the cat amongst the pigeons.

So a referendum on whether we have another election as Joe would have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jeff2 wrote: »
    So a referendum on whether we have another election as Joe would have it.

His big fear and the EYEleetes is another election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement