Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joexit-is Joe back for 2020?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Listened back to Friday’s show, someone obviously p*ssed on Mr. Duffy’s cornflakes earlier that morning. Talk about rude, snarky, snide, obnoxious, and generally unprofessional. I can’t imagine that sort of behavior would be tolerated in any normal workplace, but of course it’s excused in RTÉ so to speak believe it or not.

What segment are you referring to? I'd like to listen back and see if I arrive at the same perspective?

Thanks
    asitis2019

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    What segment are you referring to? I'd like to listen back and see if I arrive at the same perspective?

Thanks
    asitis2019

Wow, that was quick!

Well, considering you think he’s of such a high standard that you believe the BBC and CNN are fighting each other for his services I doubt you’ll arrive at anything approaching a similar conclusion.

Many posters commented on it on Friday. WHOY don’t you listen back to the show and follow the thread from 13:45 on Friday so you can see for yourself where each offence occurs, so to speak believe it or not.

Wow, that was quick!

Well, considering you think he’s of such a high standard that you believe the BBC and CNN are fighting each other for his services I doubt you’ll arrive at anything approaching a similar conclusion.

Many posters commented on it on Friday. WHOY don’t you listen back to the show and follow the thread from 13:45 on Friday so you can see for yourself where each offence occurs, so to speak believe it or not.

Will do!

I shall post my report later today

Best wishes
    Asitis2019

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Joe'll be in fantastic form come Monday.

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0e750a1c-3a2b-11ea-9741-875f0512cf29.jpg?crop=2250%2C1500%2C0%2C0&resize=498

Also when he hears about the poor peeple and chislers stranded for hours and hours at an airport in Poland.

Will do!

Best wishes
    Asitis2019

You’re in rather jolly form today, aren’t you? The Fianna Fáil boost landed well in your household then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Will do!

Best wishes
    Asitis2019

A nation holds its breath......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

A nation holds its breath......

What odds of a glowing review vs a more realistic assessment

PieOhMy wrote: »
    What odds of a glowing review vs a more realistic assessment

I’ve no doubt it will likely be hailed as one of the finest pieces of radio ever recorded in the history of radio itself so to speak believe it or not.

Initial impressions....half way through...I sense, very slightly, a little impatience on Joe's part. Mainly because he is engaging with calls who are clearly on his intellectual bandwidth and who are proposing half-baked ideas. They just don't see the whole picture the way Joe does.

Impression so far...poor caller quality...but I will keep listening and post my full analysis soon

Initial impressions....half way through...I sense, very slightly, a little impatience on Joe's part. Mainly because he is engaging with calls who are clearly on his intellectual bandwidth and who are proposing half-baked ideas. They just don't see the whole picture the way Joe does.

Impression so far...poor caller quality...but I will keep listening and post my full analysis soon

Well there’s a first - “Joe” and “intellectual” in the same sentence.

• Advertisement

Do us a favour then and listen to the show where Joe asked the Brazilian Police Officer WHOY didn’t he turn his gun on journalists present at the arrest of Pat Hickey and give us your thoughts on his intellectual capabilities then.

Of particular note was the frequently repeated comment from Mr. Duffy that Mr. Hickey’s crimes were “nodda croyme in Ireland” and Mr. Duffy’s apparent inability to understand that Irish law did not trump international laws of other countries so to speak believe it or not.

My initial impression holds - I think the first set of callers didn't have anything interesting to say, or any good stories to tell - and so Joe did whatever any professional broadcaster would do, and challenged them and moved them on their way quickly. The second have of the show was much better - and he didn't challenge them so much.

The other thing we must remember is that Joe is a vessel. It is not that he is expressing his frustration, but the nation's frustration; not expressing his curiosity, but the nation's curiosity. As I mentioned in earlier posts, being tned to the national psyche means he is able to ask the questions we want to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do us a favour then and listen to the show where Joe asked the Brazilian Police Officer WHOY didn’t he turn his gun on journalists present at the arrest of Pat Hickey and give us your thoughts on his intellectual capabilities then.

Of particular note was the frequently repeated comment from Mr. Duffy that Mr. Hickey’s crimes were “nodda croyme in Ireland” and Mr. Duffy’s apparent inability to understand that Irish law did not trump international laws of other countries so to speak believe it or not.

Exhibit A so to speak...

falco.jpg

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/25/enhanced-interrogation/

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Have to say you are one interesting person and have lived a life as did you're family.

With the book. It makes for good reading just in the thread.

I think everyone has interesting stories from their family, if you trawl through stuff. In my particular case I tended to get all the family info because I am an only child, my parents didn’t have the distraction of a lot of kids, so imparted all the bits of family lore. I got all the old family ephemera to keep hold of and I gave been digitising it along the way and now sharing it back with my cousins. I signed up to a genealogical website and newspapers archive. Came across evidence that a mother’s Italian cousin was possibly a spy as he had a house in Russia from wartime through the Cold War, and was a close friend of Prince Edward & Wallis Simpson. Mum had told me he was “involved in international stuff during the war” as he had the ability to speak many languages like a native. She never knew about the Russian house, but we knew his daughter was a professor of the Russian philology. Family research can uncover some fascinating stuff.

My initial impression holds - I think the first set of callers didn't have anything interesting to say, or any good stories to tell - and so Joe did whatever any professional broadcaster would do, and challenged them and moved them on their way quickly. The second have of the show was much better - and he didn't challenge them so much.

The other thing we must remember is that Joe is a vessel. It is not that he is expressing his frustration, but the nation's frustration; not expressing his curiosity, but the nation's curiosity. As I mentioned in earlier posts, being tned to the national psyche means he is able to ask the questions we want to ask

“Wow”, so to speak. You have a very high opinion of yourself; sorry, Mr. Duffy.

You’re right on one aspect of the questions though. I for one am always fascinated by the colour of random objects usually completely unconnected to the main element of the story at hand. That’s sarcasm btw, believe it or not so to speak.

I’m on the verge of being afflicted by Stockholm Syndrome myself, could be infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

10/10

Top marks 😂😂😂😂😂

I’m on the verge of being afflicted by Stockholm Syndrome myself, could be infectious.

Stock-HULLUM caller, Stock-HULLUM.

Predictably I see you ignored this Asitis. :rolleyes:

I’d genuinely like your take on that, but you likely will continue to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Has anyone a link to the 'canary' interview? He let himself down with a bang there too.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Has anyone a link to the 'canary' interview? He let himself down with a bang there too.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I do so to speak. I’ll post it in the morning.

I like to call it “listen as a man has a canary Lahv on air as ironically he doesn’t understand the meaning of the phrase ‘to have a canary’ so to speak”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

sligojoek wrote: »

That was gas as he tried to turn a man saying "the women was having a canary" into a racist thing after going to a break.

The woman found out she was in Northern Ireland and kicked off as she wanted to give berth in South Ireland. :)

Jeff2 wrote: »
    That was gas as he tried to turn a man saying "the women was having a canary" into a racist thing after going to a break.

The woman found out she was in Northern Ireland and kicked off as she wanted to give berth in South Ireland. :)

https://soundcloud.com/nuala201/cllr-seamus-treanor-accuses-joe-duffy-and-rte-of-bias

That interview not only gave us lots of GOLD so to speak, but 2 ALL TIME Classic in the wan show - believe it or not:
    Don't you be givin' me any of yer auld guff.
    I'll calm down if you calm down!

Classic Mr. Duffy Fianna Fail line a few minutes in too with a "What's the problem with your friends helping you out with money?" (Yes Bertie)

"You've done nothing but abuse me, abuse RTE, abuse everyone under the sun, abuse Nigerians......"

And from the same week believe it or not:

Cllr. Treanor references this call, also worth listening to so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

One of the funniest parts is that, up to the "I'll calm down if you calm down" comment, Joe was the only one of the two who wasn't calm; and had only just barely started to voice his "uncalmness" :D:D

And his complete lack of understanding of the "have a canary" idiom! :D:D:D

Classic Lavlahn!

Anyone here hear if Joe got formal notice of a pay cut recently? It would account for his particularly tetchy form, on de air, so to speak.

Anyone here hear if Joe got formal notice of a pay cut recently? It would account for his particularly tetchy form, on de air, so to speak.
    Listened back to Friday’s show, someone obviously p*ssed on Mr. Duffy’s cornflakes earlier that morning. Talk about rude, snarky, snide, obnoxious, and generally unprofessional. I can’t imagine that sort of behavior would be tolerated in any normal workplace, but of course it’s excused in RTÉ so to speak believe it or not.

Thanks
    asitis2019

Asitis seems to think he's in great form so to speak, believe it or not. Then again, he (OR SHE - with acknowledgements to Sligojoek, Official Wokeness Checker for Da Lahv Lahn Thread) seems to have disappeared. Maybe he (OR SHE) is in bad form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Field east

One of the funniest parts is that, up to the "I'll calm down if you calm down" comment, Joe was the only one of the two who wasn't calm; and had only just barely started to voice his "uncalmness" :D:D

And his complete lack of understanding of the "have a canary" idiom! :D:D:D

Classic Lavlahn!

Still does not better the ‘interview’ with Ml o Leary

I was referring to Joe on the radio, he’s in noticeably tetchy form into the new year, and after a long restful holiday.

Now here please observe

>>>MOD WARNING<<>

No poster is allowed to derail the thread by pointing fingers at any other posters or making speculations as to the identity of any other poster or arrogantly rubbishing the opinions of others on the thread. Keep all comments strictly to the subject of the thread, ie...

The Liveline Radio Show & it’s Presentation

Please stick to this guideline and there will be no curtailment of posting.

I was referring to Joe on the radio, he’s in noticeably tetchy form into the new year, and after a long restful holiday.

Now here please observe

>>>MOD WARNING<<>

No poster is allowed to derail the thread by pointing fingers at any other posters or making speculations as to the identity of any other poster or arrogantly rubbishing the opinions of others on the thread. Keep all comments strictly to the subject of the thread, ie...

The Liveline Radio Show & it’s Presentation

Please stick to this guideline and there will be no curtailment of posting.

Way colour is de guideline? :pac:

• Advertisement

Field east wrote: »
    Still does not better the ‘interview’ with Ml o Leary

The “How dare you! I have de same education as you” interview? The one where Mr. Duffy came out all guns blazing so to speak and started with “don’t be telling us lies now Michael” (or words to that effect), followed by a groveling apology the next day? Or anudder wan so to speak?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement