Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canceling eir contract

Options
  • 14-01-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

please help
    How can I cancel my eir contract i can't make a phonecall in my house""?
    I'm so angry
    I am not paying 55 euro a month for the privilege
    Please help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

afterglow wrote: »
    please help
    How can I cancel my eir contract i can't make a phonecall in my house""?
    I'm so angry
    I am not paying 55 euro a month for the privilege
    Please help?

How "new" is the contact, or how long left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Why can you not make a call in your house?

Connection issues?
    Connection delay?
    Non-payment of bill?

Why/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

How "new" is the contact, or how long left?

hi
    thx for your response
    almost 1 month in now, :(

Why can you not make a call in your house?

Connection issues?
    Connection delay?
    Non-payment of bill?

Why/

all bills up to date
    Had someone call me 3 4 times today, in the space of about a minute, all calls dropped, and eventually I called the person on whatsapp
    I need to be able to use my phone as a way of people getting in touch with me, i know phonecalls are a dying art now but that doesn't mean we should pay not to be able to make them....
    I called eir ( customer ) care, and this annoying lady went on about sim swaps and ****e!
    because i had no credit history in ireland, cos i just moved back from the uk, they took 300 euro deposit from me as well. I'm about ready to boil over at this stage! Bunch of incompetent muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

all bills up to date
    Had someone call me 3 4 times today, in the space of about a minute, all calls dropped, and eventually I called the person on whatsapp
    I need to be able to use my phone as a way of people getting in touch with me, i know phonecalls are a dying art now but that doesn't mean we should pay not to be able to make them....
    I called eir ( customer ) care, and this annoying lady went on about sim swaps and ****e!
    because i had no credit history in ireland, cos i just moved back from the uk, they took 300 euro deposit from me as well. I'm about ready to boil over at this stage! Bunch of incompetent muppets!

So the person in Customer Service advised you on how to resolve your issue? But, yet they are incompetent?

You are outside your 14 day cooling off period. If you were to cancel your account now you would receive early termination charges or have to pay out the rest of your contract. My advise would be, try what the Customer Service person advised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Just off the phone to them with similar issues except its going on much longer. Going in tomorrow to change sim as suggested which is frustrating as it's a 60km round trip. They are unable to post a sim. I don't believe this will fix my issues. My family members are with different providers and don't experience any of the issues I do. My handset isn't the issue and my phone works fine when I'm in more urban areas. Have emailed ComReg to see if they can help.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Just off the phone to them with similar issues except its going on much longer. Going in tomorrow to change sim as suggested which is frustrating as it's a 60km round trip. They are unable to post a sim. I don't believe this will fix my issues. My family members are with different providers and don't experience any of the issues I do. My handset isn't the issue and my phone works fine when I'm in more urban areas. Have emailed ComReg to see if they can help.

hiya
    Comreg is my next move also tbh
    I worked in mobile customer care when I was in the uk, i know the feckin script like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

hiya
    Comreg is my next move also tbh
    I worked in mobile customer care when I was in the uk, i know the feckin script like!

Eir are appalling, but if you truly worked in mobile in the ik then surely you would have some knowledge of the problems and also you would like the customer to allow more than a few hours before running to comreg - can't see what they could do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Darc19 wrote: »
    Eir are appalling, but if you truly worked in mobile in the ik then surely you would have some knowledge of the problems and also you would like the customer to allow more than a few hours before running to comreg - can't see what they could do

Well eir just today refused to let me speak to the shift supervisor and refused a request for a call back(which is how their website suggests to submit a complaint) So I've logged a complaint via email which is the first step before ComReg can help.

Darc19 wrote: »

I am not prepared to put up with substandard service, which is what this is
    I thought wifi calling existed so this type of shenanigans didn't happen, but even with wifi calling enabled my calls still dropped
    If eir was a virtual network I'd say it was my own fault
    I'll surrender the phone etc, and surely you can't think its ok that anyone pays for this type of nonsensical ' not ' service?
    I asked for a superviser as well, and if someone did that when I worked in cc we had to oblige. So either, this means they know that we're right, and the network is ridiculous, or they're being told not allow us to speak to them.
    I will absolutely be going to comreg as its almost 30 days in now, and I signed up in store unfortunately so cooling off doesn't apply, but no matter what anyone says, nothing will convince me I should pay for a service I'm not receiving
    I'm fuming! didn't know this would be the way, as I'm between houses having just moved back from uk, the house where the calls dropped will be my permanent residence, so this is beyond unacceptable.
    Not having a go, just explaining from my POV
    not to wave the disability card either but I am disabled so having the phone is even more important than it would be anyway. Not that i would stand for this if I wasn't disabled, because I would not, nor suggest anyone should do the same Don't know how they are allowed away with this. and its because of people thinking they are bound by contracts etc, probably why they are mostly never held accountable
    I have no issue whatsoever paying for service if it is indhed a proper service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You do realize that Comreg will ask did you go through all of the troubleshooting steps and will require a complaints reference number? If you haven't then they will just refer the case back to Eir.

By the sounds of things, it is not the network but a coverage issue at your location. Eir is not responsible for this. They aren't to know what the coverage is like at your own address. The onus is on you to let them know of any issues as soon as possible. They can then take the necessary steps to resolve it or end the contract.

email written to eir see below
    To whom it may concern

I took out the account quoted above with you, in store at ash leaf shopping centre Dublin on 17/12/19
    Very soon after commencing use of the service, i began receiving calls that were not for me, and from people who i had not given my number to. Important to mention that the original number on the account, *snip* was only being used, because i wanted a port done of a Vodafone PAYG number, but the rep in the eir store made a mistake submitting the request, which meant it was rejected
    The first time it happened, i did not contact anyone thinking it was probably just a mistake. Some of the calls I received were from Drogheda Garda station, but again, i just tried to put this down to mistakes, which can happen
    On the 7th of this month I received 2 calls in one day, both with voice messages, both from people i didn’t know, i only found out the day after, because i phoned my voicemail for some reason

I felt extremely unsafe knowing people i did not give my number to were in possession of it, and resolved then and there to cancel the contract
    I phoned customer care, and was offered a goodwill gesture, along with a change of number
    My number now, *snip*was issued on the 8th of this month
    Temporarily after this I experienced voicemail issues but these were resolved by someone in cc resetting voicemail
    Now the proverbial straw that broke the virtual camels back
    I am currently between residences, as i have recently just returned from the UK, however my permanent residence is to be the one supplied above, this is where my bank account is registered etc.
    I received a very______ important call today, and 5 times, within the space of a 1/2 minute period, we only were able to speak for a few seconds before every single call dropped.
    I have WiFi calling enabled, I thought it’s purpose was to stop calls dropping in this manner?
    I am absolutely unequivocally not prepared under any circumstance to pay for this “non” service
    When i called customer care today, all i was met with was talk of sim swaps and questions about whether my data, texts, etc worked. This line of questioning i find dismissive and offensive
    As i told your colleague earlier i know that conventional phone calls, are maybe something that many people don’t think of when they think of their phones, but i am not one of these
    I am absolutely prepared to surrender my phone, and I’ll be grateful for, without delay, my 300 euro which your network took from me by way of a deposit
    I would not begrudge this if i had received proper and satisfactory service from the beginning, however, this, as I’m sure you can see from everything outlined, is not the case.
    If someone in your complaints department fails to resolve this to my satisfaction rest assured i will be taking this matter to COMREG
    As a person with a disability i rely on my phone significantly more than someone able bodied would, not that i would put up with this nonsense if i was able bodied, i would not, what I’m trying to illustrate here, is that my phone for me is not just a phone, its a lifeline

I fully expect, look forward to, and appreciate your co-operation in this matter

With kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

Couple of things that could be going on:

WiFi calling on Eir won’t hand off to the cellular network. If your WiFi signal drops too low, the phone will switch to cellular connection and the call will drop as a result.

The double whammy is that WiFi calling is very hit-and-miss if you have more than one WiFi access point, which you might naturally do to solve issue 1 above! I’ve found it takes a lot of careful tweaking to get WiFi calls to stay up while your phone moves around different access points.

It’s a lot more temperamental than Whatsapp, while a Whatsapp voice call on a poor connection might glitch and click but be otherwise usable a WiFi call will just drop.

Anyway - good news is you’re covered under their 30 Day Network Satisfaction Guarantee:
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/NetworkGuarantee_TsCs0617.pdf

KildareP wrote: »
    Couple of things that could be going on:

WiFi calling on Eir won’t hand off to the cellular network. If your WiFi signal drops too low, the phone will switch to cellular connection and the call will drop as a result.

The double whammy is that WiFi calling is very hit-and-miss if you have more than one WiFi access point, which you might naturally do to solve issue 1 above! I’ve found it takes a lot of careful tweaking to get WiFi calls to stay up while your phone moves around different access points.

It’s a lot more temperamental than Whatsapp, while a Whatsapp voice call on a poor connection might glitch and click but be otherwise usable a WiFi call will just drop.

Anyway - good news is you’re covered under their 30 Day Network Satisfaction Guarantee:
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/NetworkGuarantee_TsCs0617.pdf

you are a total angel
    Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

A bit late I know, afterglow, but I hope your problem got/is getting sorted after all that frustration!

If a formal complaint to eir is still on the cards, I've gone that route (to the last step before Comreg), and one or two things I learned (the hard way!) might be of some use.

But the main reason I'm posting is another thought that occured on reading your thread. If the problem is/was only being able to get a 2G/4G cellular signal, or getting a 4/5G one but calls and texts being difficult/impossible, something I learned about it might be good to check out before committing to a new phone/network/both. If that's applicable, just say and I'll explain - I only stumbled on it by chance, and it's one of the things network providers don't seem to talk about (maybe not even to their helpline people!).

Fogmatic wrote: »
    A bit late I know, afterglow, but I hope your problem got/is getting sorted after all that frustration!

If a formal complaint to eir is still on the cards, I've gone that route (to the last step before Comreg), and one or two things I learned (the hard way!) might be of some use.

But the main reason I'm posting is another thought that occured on reading your thread. If the problem is/was only being able to get a 2G/4G cellular signal, or getting a 4/5G one but calls and texts being difficult/impossible, something I learned about it might be good to check out before committing to a new phone/network/both. If that's applicable, just say and I'll explain - I only stumbled on it by chance, and it's one of the things network providers don't seem to talk about (maybe not even to their helpline people!).

hi
    managed to cancel contract and am due 350 euro back, but they're not giving it up easy.
    I have written a fb post, because they're being annoying, saying even though I paid with a debit card, i have to have it back as a cheque, so they are refusing repayment to the OFP. Which surely must be against some rules
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Typical eir - takes me back! (And further back, to some of our building job clients - wouldn't surprise me if whoever signs eir's cheques is only there for 2 hours every other Thursday, on leave or some such). But thank you for causing me to find internetslang.com (the most comprehensive glossary I've seen). Our patch was liberated from a sub dialup connection in 2009, by when everyone was assumed to know all the acronyms!

I've tried getting answers from various Facebook pages over the years (thinking they'd be nice and public), but always found them even more frustrating than official forums. (FB's layout actually discouraged the reps from reading the OP, the topics quickly scrolled down into oblivion, and the low character count didn't help).

Is your calls problem sorted?

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Typical eir - takes me back! (And further back, to some of our building job clients - wouldn't surprise me if whoever signs eir's cheques is only there for 2 hours every other Thursday, on leave or some such). But thank you for causing me to find internetslang.com (the most comprehensive glossary I've seen). Our patch was liberated from a sub dialup connection in 2009, by when everyone was assumed to know all the acronyms!

I've tried getting answers from various Facebook pages over the years (thinking they'd be nice and public), but always found them even more frustrating than official forums. (FB's layout actually discouraged the reps from reading the OP, the topics quickly scrolled down into oblivion, and the low character count didn't help).

Is your calls problem sorted?

its sorted because I switched to 3 😀😂
    cheers again for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kofi Ninja

Hi,
    I've been trying to contact Eir through 1800, fb, online chat i even went to the Eir shop, for an advise. Got a 01 number to ring and still on hold for ages. Nobody on online chat. And fb.. Well 2 days later nobody came back to me.
    Due to horrendous coverage in my apartment (it was grand for a first year and than dropped) I've decided to move to a different provider. My contract with Eir was long finished. All my bills were paid up to date. 55 a month. Now I got a final bill from eir for 110. I'd love to know what am I being charged for? Emotional distress I've caused them by switching?
    Any advice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

I have tried everything to contact them like op and no avail I just can’t there must be some way to get in touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

catrat12 wrote: »
    I have tried everything to contact them like op and no avail I just can’t there must be some way to get in touch

I had cause to contact them for work on Monday.

Started a chat at about 09:30 - sat there looking at a message to the effect an agent will be along shortly. Grand.

After an hour, no sign of life.
    Time to call...

Three attempts to 1901 to start off - each time listening to over a minute about Covid-19 and to expect delays. Then their very specific menus which don't really cover most issues you might be calling about. Then when it wanted to route me through to someone each time I selected a different IVR option, I get a message that the call centre is closed and opening hours are 9AM to 7PM.
    (My first attempt at calling was 10:32)

Said "feck this" and called Sales ( 1800 77 37 29 ).
    No IVR and the call answered after 3 rings. Probably the only line that is prompt and efficient (or maybe they just don't get many calls these days :p )
    Of course, not able to help me - tells me to call retentions instead ( 1800 30 34 53 ).

So called retentions on the number your man gave me.
    First attempt, rang 10 times and cut me off.
    Rang again, same number and who answers? Your man on the sales line!
    None too impressed, mind, that he was back speaking to me again - despite me ringing the number he gave me and the Eir system routing me through to him.
    (I quadruple checked that I didn't hit redial on the sales number by accident - definitely not!)

So back onto 1901 again - success! Well, once I waited the 3 minutes it takes to navigate the IVR that you can't skip. Got into the hold queue. Expected wait time at least 30 minutes. Sit tight.

15 minutes. Nout.
    30 minutes. Nout.
    45 minutes. Nout.
    60 minutes. Nada.
    75 minutes. Still waiting...
    90 minutes later, I'm through to someone!!

Of course, they can't help me - takes my details and someone will call me back to process the request.

Call done, forgot I had a chat window open - still waiting for next available agent! Glad I hadn't sat that one out...

It's now Thursday evening. Do you think I've gotten that call back yet?

Advertisement