Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electoral register for General Election 2020

Options
  • 14-01-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

apparently anybody that registered to vote after 15/02/2019 you're not eligible to vote in this upcoming election, you have until Thurs week (Jan 23rd) to make sure you're definitely on the register in time to vote, not that our votes make much difference really at the end of the day, but if this is another way for Fine Gael to further manipluate the process well then feic that, get checking the register asap, stay informed, don't just read the newspapers or rely on rte, be careful and critical viewing anything online to do with politics because full-on PR/voter manipulation campaigns have been running well before now and are going to be in full swing from today, here we go again...

...are there any real options out there that might bring some real change around here or are we destined to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Let's keep the recovery going

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vote Early.

Vote Often ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pure.conya wrote: »
    ...are there any real options out there that might bring some real change around here or are we destined to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome?
    Depends on who is in your area.

Unlike the UK and US with First Past The Post and lots of safe seats every vote here can matter.

Against that like much of Europe our Parliament is more consensual rather than confrontation because parties have to work with each other instead of winner takes all. So don't expect any paradigm shifts.

If you like numbers and permutations then Irish election counts are a great spectator sport.

The fact that we have frequent recounts shows how just how much every vote counts.

As Ben Brisco said after ten days of re-counting and re-checking ballot papers "the agony and the ex-TD."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Vote Early.

Vote Often ;)

I'll give Early my number two. But I never liked that Often one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Good of the green party now to litter the place with big plastic signs that will end up in landfill....��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Make Ireland Grand Again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

If your not in you can't bin

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

pure.conya wrote: »
    apparently anybody that registered to vote after 15/02/2019 you're not eligible to vote in this upcoming election, you have until Thurs week (Jan 23rd) to make sure you're definitely on the register in time to vote, not that our votes make much difference really at the end of the day, but if this is another way for Fine Gael to further manipluate the process well then feic that

Ah the conspiracy theories

If you are not on the register in 2020 the only person to blame is yourself

For years I listened to people telling me elections were on Thursday and Friday to stop college students travelling home and now it's a Saturday still something else is the matter

And OP these are managed by local authorities and FG isn't even the biggest party at local level

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

More Tweedle Dum, or back to Tweedle Dee.
    Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You can check here to see if you're registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The Locals +Euros were held in May so if you could vote then I assume you can vote in Feb?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Move from After Hours, better off in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Yes It is so efficient to have Local Authority staff having to trawl through every addition made since Feb 2019 and having to reprocess each and every one, when the most appropriate date for a GE would simply have been a week later utilising the new Register. And the people are being asked to trust this party with resolving big ticket items like Health.?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Mod

Move from After Hours, better off in here.

is it really though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The Locals +Euros were held in May so if you could vote then I assume you can vote in Feb?

I would have presumed you are right

This election has been known to happen early this year since June of last year. If people were not proactive to make sure they were registered to vote before now that is on them and not some party. Take some personal responsibility I thought people did not want our representatives hand holding them on everything

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It is the ( now defunct ) government that should have taken responsibility by holding the GE after the coming into effect of the new register.What difference would an extra week have made ? It is the thousands of man hours that have to be put into the process now to update the system as well as additional voter involvement in confirming their inclusion which should be a given seeing as the forms were filled in within the last eleven months

Advertisement