Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaningful present for wife

Options
  • 14-01-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, I'm really struggling to get my wife something. Ideally something personalised. Have any Dads any tips, what did you get your wife/partner? My wife is about to give birth to our second and I want to get her something. Cant afford a ring/eternal ring so something small but meaningful..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’m not sure of your budget but when I gave birth to our second my husband got me a chain from Chupi with both our children’s initials and his birthstone. When I had our third he got her initial on a disc to add to it. It’s my favourite thing I’ve ever gotten and I’ve worn it everyday For 3.5 years. It will of course depend on your wives taste!!

https://www.chupi.com/products/gold-plated-initial-necklace

Hi, I'm really struggling to get my wife something. Ideally something personalised. Have any Dads any tips, what did you get your wife/partner? My wife is about to give birth to our second and I want to get her something. Cant afford a ring/eternal ring so something small but meaningful..

One of Mrs $hifty's friends gave birth last year and we booked and paid for an appointment to get her hair / nails done in the place she normally gets them done.

A few months afterwards she let us know that it was one of the best things she'd gotten as everything in those first few weeks was all bout the baby. She would have felt too guilty splashing that kinda money on herself plus there was no end to the amount of photos being taken of her and the new arrival so she really appreciated looking her best at a time when she felt like she looked 'not my best'.

It's nothing permanent, but something she was eternally grateful for. Might be something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

...we booked and paid for an appointment to get her hair / nails done in the place she normally gets them done...

Or a spa treatment. Basically, something to enjoy and to relax without having to worry about nappies and kid's food splattered all over the kitchen for a few hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There is an online company that does necklaces and bracelets with names engraved. Think it’s called “my name necklace” or similar. A colleague has the infinity necklace and it’s lovely. Very tempted to get one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There is an online company that does necklaces and bracelets with names engraved. Think it’s called “my name necklace” or similar. A colleague has the infinity necklace and it’s lovely. Very tempted to get one myself.

https://m.mynamenecklace.ie/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IE_ALL_Google_cpc_Search_Brand&utm_content=MyNameNecklace&utm_term=mynamenecklace&smt=100603&sliceTag=25747423972&tid=kwd-9808166510&pid=&genseg=&dy=&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6qikgumD5wIVhrTtCh3UCwGWEAAYASAAEgIsgvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Would you wife like something personalised though?

Personally I'd hate that but would love the spa day or pamper day that others have mentioned.

If your not sure maybe check with her friends/sisters on what she would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My husband got me an infinity bracelet when my son was born and a matching necklace when my daughter was. They’re my style and I wear them all the time.

Personally I rather have something meaningful from my husband to have as a keepsake to mark the occasion. A friend got me a spa voucher and It was lovely, to me it’s the perfect gift from a friend to mark the occasion. Plus as I was breastfeeding and my son wouldn’t take a bottle I didn’t get to use it for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Just be careful booking a spa day. It can be hard to get away from a new baby at the start especially if she will be breastfeeding.
    The chupi necklace mentioned above looks gorgeous.
    But it does depend on your wife and what she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Blingy wrote: »
    Just be careful booking a spa day. It can be hard to get away from a new baby at the start especially if she will be breastfeeding.
    The chupi necklace mentioned above looks gorgeous.
    But it does depend on your wife and what she likes.

As part of organising the spa day or whatever, make sure you are available to look after everything on the day with no distractions. Leave it for a couple of weeks until you both know how feeding is going, but do tell her it's happening. If feeding is going well you could try feeding baby with expressed milk to give her a break at home. If she's seen you do that there she'll be more at ease on a day out.

As @$hifty said above, the first few weeks is all about the baby and mothers can really feel it. My wife was 30 a few weeks after our eldest was born and the day just vanished into the mists of new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

Thank you for the great replies all, my brother and mates are utterly useless for this sort of thing!!!! I was initially going to get the Chupi necklace but my wife doesn't wear necklaces, so I'm going to go for a gold infinity personalised bracelet with our two children's names engraved. The plan is to turn up at the hospital with this and a big bunch of flowers with chocolate!! Then in a few weeks, a spa treatment or get hair done etc ;)

• Advertisement

Thank you for the great replies all, my brother and mates are utterly useless for this sort of thing!!!! I was initially going to get the Chupi necklace but my wife doesn't wear necklaces, so I'm going to go for a gold infinity personalised bracelet with our two children's names engraved. The plan is to turn up at the hospital with this and a big bunch of flowers with chocolate!! Then in a few weeks, a spa treatment or get hair done etc ;)

Can you still bring flowers to hospital? Thought you couldn't, but maybe maternity is different.

Question - are you going to be in the room while she's giving birth. I wouldn't worry too much about the flowers and chocolate. You seem as excited as a puppy, which is a good thing. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

Can you still bring flowers to hospital? Thought you couldn't, but maybe maternity is different.

Question - are you going to be in the room while she's giving birth. I wouldn't worry too much about the flowers and chocolate. You seem as excited as a puppy, which is a good thing. Enjoy.

We're having a planned C section, so I'll be in the room towards the end of the procedure, then wife will be in hospital for a few days on recovery.

Darn! Didnt think of the flowers not being allowed! I just ordered the bracelet and its two weeks delivery with an extra expedited delivery charge, due to it being personalised I presume. So much for turning up at the hospital with gifts and flowers :P Oh well, I'll have it for when she's home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We're having a planned C section, so I'll be in the room towards the end of the procedure, then wife will be in hospital for a few days on recovery.

Darn! Didnt think of the flowers not being allowed! I just ordered the bracelet and its two weeks delivery with an extra expedited delivery charge, due to it being personalised I presume. So much for turning up at the hospital with gifts and flowers :P Oh well, I'll have it for when she's home

Send them an email and see if they’ll be sound and speed it up given the circumstances!

Best of luck with the new arrival. I have no doubt she’ll love it given the thought and effort that’s gone into it. For what it’s worth chocolates were always welcome after I gave birth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

keep it simple, maybe a book of hand made gift vouchers, 1 x Coffee Break (i.e. you take kids) 1 x time for a shower/me time (sounds simple but wife often forget simple things while worried about little one) 1 x Spa Treatment, 1 x hair appt,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭NSAman

Set of Chinmey Brushes.

Remind her of all the hard work ahead and something she will ABSOLUTELY remember you by.

Joking aside, was the best present me father ever gave my mother.

NSAman wrote: »
    Set of Chinmey Brushes.

Remind her of all the hard work ahead and something she will ABSOLUTELY remember you by.

Joking aside, was the best present me father ever gave my mother.

And they say romance is dead. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It will be gorgeous to have the flowers and bracelet for her when she gets home.

Theyre really lovely ideas . Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My friend recently had a baby, I got her one of those scrabble frames with her, her partner & her two kids names in them.
    She was absolutely delighted with it, and they're really well made.

I got mine on Etsy, but lots of different companies do them. Just an option if you're still stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

what hospital!? Ring them and ask re c section and flowers. they may well allow -I sent flowers to my cousins house and her husband brought them into the hospital (regular birth but private room) no problems her getting them at all- that was last year.ive brought flowers into other people too (private wards) and theres never been a problem. If you ask you’ll generally be told no but if you sneek them in at least your wofe will have something there and know you made the effort - hormonal women can bit a bit emotional about small things!! . I’d definately be bringing flowers and/or maybe a fancy balloon with one of those lead weights and coloured ribbons - says you made an effort and adds excitement ! Chocs are always welcome - bring them too!!! Congrats it sounds so exciting for you both!!!PS I love the jewellery thing - its a story that will last a lifetime and something that can be handed down with a lovely history of it makes the first 18 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is really personal isn't it.

I'd have been fairly annoyed at my husband if he got me keepsake style stuff, I place no value in it whatsoever, most of that stuff is pure clutter /waste to me. I did get things like engraved frames and embroidered blankets, which are really thoughtful and I appreciate the effort people go to. But I'm afraid it's all in the attic in a box now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭NSAman

And they say romance is dead. :eek:

50 plus years of marriage and YES we brought it up in his Eulogy...:)

It depends on the people involved obviously. My mum still gets a chuckle out of it, all these years later. She was furious at the time, but those brushes have worked for may years and have been passed down to her grand kids now.

Romance ... well.. maybe not.. but it is a present that has stood the test of time and is something that we ALL remember our dad by... with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

May not suit your particular circumstances but all I ever wanted was a night's protected sleep and a lie in ! So night's away with a pal or something were always the best for me. On one occasion a pal cancelled and I still went to the hotel and spa myself and it was bliss!

NSAman wrote: »
    50 plus years of marriage and YES we brought it up in his Eulogy...:)

It depends on the people involved obviously. My mum still gets a chuckle out of it, all these years later. She was furious at the time, but those brushes have worked for may years and have been passed down to her grand kids now.

Romance ... well.. maybe not.. but it is a present that has stood the test of time and is something that we ALL remember our dad by... with a smile.

I was joking, apologies if it came across as any other way.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Can I ask why you feel you need to give her a present? Is it because she's about to have a baby? Is she hinting that she should get a "push present"?

Or is there another reason?

What would you get her if it was Christmas/ her birthday?

daheff wrote: »
    Can I ask why you feel you need to give her a present? Is it because she's about to have a baby? Is she hinting that she should get a "push present"?

Or is there another reason?

What would you get her if it was Christmas/ her birthday?

Why would you think she’s ‘hinting she should get a push present’? I hate that term btw.
    It’s pretty par for the course to make a nice gesture for your wife after the birth of a child. More common than uncommon I would say.

Whether it’s a nice bunch of flowers, a voucher for a spa treatment or a new piece of jewellery, I think doing/buying something nice for your partner after they’ve just given you a beautiful baby is a lovely thing to do.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Why would you think she’s ‘hinting she should get a push present’? I hate that term btw.
    Well thats the question for the OP to answer as he brought it up that hes getting a present...at the time of the baby being born.
    It’s pretty par for the course to make a nice gesture for your wife after the birth of a child. More common than uncommon I would say.
    I don't think it is as common as you think. I don't know any of my friends who have done this.
    Whether it’s a nice bunch of flowers, a voucher for a spa treatment or a new piece of jewellery, I think doing/buying something nice for your partner after they’ve just given you a beautiful baby is a lovely thing to do.
    Surely there are 2 parties to this ....the father is also involved in pregnancy. While he hasn't had the baby inside him or given birth, hes been involved along the way supporting the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 derstern

Might not be for your wife, but for our first, my husband gave me an iPod containing messages from each of my friends (many of whom are overseas and I don't see often) with a song they had picked out for me and why they had chosen it. It was the nicest and most thoughtful present I think I have ever received and I listened it so many times during that very very long day and night.

Well thats the question for the OP to answer as he brought it up that hes getting a present...at the time of the baby being born.
    I don't think it is as common as you think. I don't know any of my friends who have done this.

Surely there are 2 parties to this ....the father is also involved in pregnancy. While he hasn't had the baby inside him or given birth, hes been involved along the way supporting the mother.

You don’t know any friends who have done something nice or bought a little gift for their partner after they’ve given birth? Not one?
    It’s not a modern concept, my father got my mam a present and I’m pushing 30.

Two people make the baby, one gives birth. It’s a thoughtful sign of love and appreciation for all she has gone through, that’s all.
    Stop hijacking the thread trying to make out women are present grabbing and men are missing out because other men choose to buy their partners a gift :rolleyes:

Stop hijacking the thread trying to make out women are present grabbing and men are missing out because other men choose to buy their partners a gift :rolleyes:

I'm not hijacking the thread or saying that women are present grabbing or men are missing out either. If you don't like my comment then just ignore it and move on.

I asked the OP why they are giving his wife a present. knowing the why helps give more context as to what the present is to be.
    It’s not a modern concept, my father got my mam a present and I’m pushing 30.
    maybe its not a modern concept....maybe its outdated?

• Advertisement

I'm not hijacking the thread or saying that women are present grabbing or men are missing out either. If you don't like my comment then just ignore it and move on.

I asked the OP why they are giving his wife a present. knowing the why helps give more context as to what the present is to be.

You asked was she ‘hinting’ for a ‘push’ present. That implies present grabbing to me.
    The most obvious answer is usually the right one - in this case it’s a nice thoughtful gesture to his partner after the birth of their child.
    He even said so himself in his OP that he wanted to.
    maybe its not a modern concept....maybe its outdated?

The replies on this thread alone would contradict that notion, it’s very common. No one else was baffled or surprised that a man might do such a thing.

Advertisement