Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliffs of Moher coastal walk

Options
  • 14-01-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for your thoughts please. I was planning to walk this trail on the first sunny Saturday I can manage with my son (aged 14).

I just came across the below (here) just wondering if the below is reason enough to be concerned?

I'm not sure if they're just protecting themselves from any possibility of legal action or if there has been erosion, subsidence issues etc and we are best off giving it a miss for a while?!

Obviously we'd take all due care and the child is fairly sensible so I'd trust him not to wander too close to the edge etc.

Thanks!

CLIFFS OF MOHER COASTAL WALK

We would like to advise you of the following:

The Cliffs of Moher Visitor Experience owned by Clare County Council manages 800m of safe pathways and viewing platforms. The area beyond the site is called the Cliffs of Moher Coastal Trail.

A recent inspection of the Cliffs of Moher Coastal trail revealed several high-risk areas along the coastal trail.

There are significant active landslide systems along the trail and it is likely that the trail could destabilise at some locations.

For the moment there is full unrestricted access to the cliff edge for the public. We strongly advise visitors to not undertake the coastal trail due to the following:

The cliff edge is unstable beyond the confines of the site and there is a constant risk of rockfalls and landslides.
    There is an active & real danger to the safety of visitors if they choose to leave the paved site and begin using the coastal trail. Areas which are perilous can increase and expand over time and danger areas are not always signposted.
    Visitors should also be aware that weather conditions can change suddenly. High wind speeds & stormy weather occur frequently at the Cliffs and this can increase risk of an incident occurring.
    Heavy fog is common and results in extremely poor visibility which makes navigating the trail very difficult.
    We strongly advise visitors to stay within the confines of the official Cliffs of Moher site as your safety could be at serious risk if you use the coastal trail. If against all advice you undertake the walk please use the inner pathway and stay well back from the edge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Well, all I can say is I know personally several people who have seen people fall off the cliffs over the years, I've been at the cliffs once when someone went over and I know people who are involved in recovering bodies from the bottom of them.

There is constant erosion of the cliffs - they are not a maintained theme park or something, they are a dynamic and constantly changing natural feature. I have a photograph somewhere taken years ago of a number of tourists standing outside the barriers - from my vantage point I could see they were actually standing on a layer of grass and soil about 1 metre thick with no stone whatsoever beneath them - less than a week later that section fell into the sea. Despite the many warnings posted they put their lives in very distinct jeopardy for no reason than to see that little bit more and they probably went home never realising just how close to death they had been.

Do you really want to take chances with your life and the life of your child by relying on the hearsay and inexpert opinions of people on the internet versus the advise given by a body with responsibility for maintaining and advising on the area and presumably advised by experts in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Cope on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You would put your child's life at risk ...... for what? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There's a path on the coastal walk which is nowhere near the edge. The above scaremongers have obviously never been on it, or anywhere near it. Once you stick to that path, there is no danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

You would put your child's life at risk ...... for what? :(

I certainly won't - The purpose of the thread is to find out how much of the warning is valid and what portion of it is nonsense.

I'm inclined to believe Serenity Blue Ivys approach below - Unless there's been recent erosion/subsidence etc I believe there's something more to this warning than meets the eye.
    There's a path on the coastal walk which is nowhere near the edge. The above scaremongers have obviously never been on it, or anywhere near it. Once you stick to that path, there is no danger.

Last summer I rang the Cliffs of Moher ticket office and became aware they now issue guidelines on when you should visit in an effort to alleviate overcrowding at peak times.

From what I understand (open to correction here) if you walk to the Cliffs via the coastal path you gain admittance to the ticketed area of the cliffs beyond their control/oversight/ticketing system - ie for free.

Is there a chance that this simply bothers them and this combined with a possible worry re legal action prompted them to issue this warning notice in a purely self serving manner?

It wouldn't surprise me if this coastal walk was just an irritating variable in their business model that they wished would just go away and let them get on with their business of overcharging people for a nice view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would heed this warning
    We would like to remind you that the coastal trail is unsuitable for children and dogs. Fatalities have and can occur when visitors do not heed these warnings.

and this
    If against all advice you undertake the walk [coastal trail] please use the inner pathway and stay well back from the edge.

And there we have it, the internet expert with his qualifications and expertise clearly signposted and hanging out for all to see :rolleyes:

I've been going to the cliffs several times a year for nigh on 40 years and I'm well aware of the paths. The inner path WAS safe but as mentioned, cliffs erode - I certainly wouldn't bring a child or encourage anyone else to do something against expert advise. Whether I choose to endanger my own life is completely different and frankly, encouraging someone unable to fully comprehend the risks is irresponsible in the extreme.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I certainly won't - The purpose of the thread is to find out how much of the warning is valid and what portion of it is nonsense.

I'm inclined to believe Dogg Mundes approach below - Unless there's been recent erosion/subsidence etc I believe there's something more to this warning than meets the eye.

Last summer I rang the Cliffs of Moher ticket office and became aware they now issue guidelines on when you should visit in an effort to alleviate overcrowding at peak times.

From what I understand (open to correction here) if you walk to the Cliffs via the coastal path you gain admittance to the ticketed area of the cliffs beyond their control/oversight/ticketing system - ie for free.

Is there a chance that this simply bothers them and this combined with a possible worry re legal action prompted them to issue this warning notice in a purely self serving manner?

It wouldn't surprise me if this coastal walk was just an irritating variable in their business model that they wished would just go away and let them get on with their business of overcharging people for a nice view.

There is no charge to enter the cliffs area - the only charge is the car parking and visitor centre. The land was gifted to the people of Clare and the council are prohibited from directly charging for access as part of the gifting.They may well try and intimate that there is a fee but if you say you will not be using any of the amenities then they cannot legally charge.

Deagol wrote: »
    And there we have it, the internet expert with his qualifications and expertise clearly signposted and hanging out for all to see :rolleyes:

I've been going to the cliffs several times a year for nigh on 40 years and I'm well aware of the paths. The inner path WAS safe but as mentioned, cliffs erode - I certainly wouldn't bring a child or encourage anyone else to do something against expert advise. Whether I choose to endanger my own life is completely different and frankly, encouraging someone unable to fully comprehend the risks is irresponsible in the extreme.

Only one of these posts can be right.

Any tips on where to park? - I don't like the idea of being robbed to see the Cliffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Any tips on where to park? - I don't like the idea of being robbed to see the Cliffs.

The car park is from €4 for an adult and free for a kid.

That's hardly a rob to visit a world class tourist attraction.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

On the Liscannor side, park at Hags Head - there's a car park there for €2 (a car) - or park outside Liscannor GAA and walk up the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I parked in Doolin. Got a taxi to the place in past Liscannor GAA, and walked along the track to Doolin. It's about 13km I think. It's safe once you stick to the track.

I was thinking about this since - I'm so curious now as to whether this path does in certain places happen to be too near to the cliff edge, perhaps just recently as a consequence of subsidence/erosion, or is the real danger just from people being careless, walking off the path and putting their own lives in danger?

So be honest I'd feel quite confident walking on a path without straying off it randomly and would trust myself not to stand on the edge taking selfies!!!

So far the answers on here have been polarised and contradictory, so where does the truth lie???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why not go with Pat Sweeney. He leaves from Oconnors pun in doolin @10 am. He does a brilliant walk,hes also one of the land owners so knows his stuff re safety.

I was thinking about this since - I'm so curious now as to whether this path does in certain places happen to be too near to the cliff edge, perhaps just recently as a consequence of subsidence/erosion, or is the real danger just from people being careless, walking off the path and putting their own lives in danger?

So be honest I'd feel quite confident walking on a path without straying off it randomly and would trust myself not to stand on the edge taking selfies!!!

So far the answers on here have been polarised and contradictory, so where does the truth lie???

Walk it yourself and let us know!

easypazz wrote: »
    Walk it yourself and let us know!

Am definitely going to!!!

Someone needs to assess this and get to the real truth of the matter.

I've a feeling there's some degree of a self-serving an agenda behind this alarmist approach.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know if anyone would say "go ahead you'll be fine" when there's warnings on the offical cliffs site, the best advice I can think of if you really want to try it out would be to go with someone familar with the area yourself first and if you feel you are ok with it bring your child, personally I wouldn't be putting my children in unnecessary danger and I definitely wouldn't be taking the word of a stranger on the internet, I'd definitly want to try it myself or at least ask someone I know.

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone would say "go ahead you'll be fine" when there's warnings on the offical cliffs site, the best advice I can think of if you really want to try it out would be to go with someone familar with the area yourself first and if you feel you are ok with it bring your child, personally I wouldn't be putting my children in unnecessary danger and I definitely wouldn't be taking the word of a stranger on the internet, I'd definitly want to try it myself or at least ask someone I know.

There is a question over whether it is the official site or not.

I believe Clare county council are responsible for the coastal path and shannon heritage look after the visitor centre, obriens tower and walkways around there.

easypazz wrote: »
    There is a question over whether it is the official site or not.

I believe Clare county council are responsible for the coastal path and shannon heritage look after the visitor centre, obriens tower and walkways around there.

Here's the link - They're not clear who this stark and grim warning is coming from specifically - There's no mention I can see of who runs this Website?

https://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/beyond-the-cliffs/

I'm determined NOT to fall of the cliff edge now.... just to spite them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It looks like it's owned by Shannon Heritage who is part of the Shannon Group which is a state body, not sure if semi-state or full, still I'd be keeping safe, Murphy's Law and all that.

• Advertisement

What about the walk from Liscannor to the Cliffs?

How does this compare n terms of views and overall experience?

Is it safe?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Some first hand experience
    If you start at liscannor GAA, it's mostly downhill to Doolin.
    The path as far as the cliffs is well back from edge (there is a secondary path closer to the edge in some places).
    You can reach the cliffs of moher vistitor centre for free. The charge for the cliffs is at the car park, but includes access to the visitors centre.
    From the cliffs to doolin is less well defined in some places. There an is an older path where you are forced close to the edge.
    I've taken scouts (12-15) on this walk and it was fine.
    There are some wet and muddy patches along most of the walk.
    Beware that good weather is not ubiquitous and I've often had bad fog as you get to the cliffs themselves, which is not present by the time you get to Doolin.

You can pay for parking at the hags head end, or park outside the GAA grounds and walk the extra half mile to the other car park.

There is no substitue for personal experience on the walk

You can virtually walk the path
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9805992,-9.4255701,2a,75y,238.28h,80.58t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1suCzGMMcgihGPnYy7ttiOLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i50

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

An update for anyone interested - ran this today from Liscannor GAA to about 2km north of visitor centre. On the southern section there are no major warning signs approaching from Liscannor, but coming back from the visitor centre there are DANGER SUBSIDENCE etc signs. Sure enough, some of the tracks closer to the edge are perilous but the official path which is freshly renewed in places is well clear of the cliff edge.

On the north side of the visitor centre, just by the tower, there are several danger signs and "path closed" sign along with a physical barrier. I don't know how recent this is. Some of this path is freshly relaid. It's also not obvious which authority erected the signs.

Would seem from this that there is currently no official through route to Doolin?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement