Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to decide which company to go with

Options
  • 14-01-2020 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

We have got a number of quotes for having windows and back door replaced in our house. My dilemma is really ultimately who to go with. The quotes are not a million miles away from each other, so the cost aspect is less important than the quality of the product, the installation, and the after sales service.

I've googled left, right and centre and am finding it really hard to just make a decision and go for it. All of them have good and bad reviews, and it's hard see behind the sales pitch.

Munster Joinery and a couple of other places never got back to me so the ones in contention at the moment are:

DK Windows
    Fairco
    Senator

Anyone got any advice on how to make a properly informed decision, or got feedback on any of the ones above. Or any other companies to consider?

Mods - if there is a more appropriate place for this thread, feel free to move

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I’d break it down into categories and see who wins the most. For example price is one category. Others are below:

If you can compare the u-values of the whole window it will give you an indication which preforms best thermally. Be very careful as some give the u-value of the glass ONLY as this is much better. Maybe ask for both the u-value of the glass and the u-value of the window.

Do the windows open inward or out? Do you’ve a preference?

Can the windows have a different colour inside and out. eg white inside and grey outside. This might be additional cost on some / not available or not required by you.

Ask to see a photo (or better a sample) of the handles on the windows. Some come with nice stainless steel handles. I’ve seen cheap plastic handles on others which are terrible and make the whole window cheap. I think it’s important too for the front door. Is it a nice handle, big pull bar, etc.

Some higher quality windows and doors have the hinges hidden into the frames. Do any have this or are they all exposed? Are the hinges nice looking if you can see them or do they look terrible? For example on Dermot Bannon’s own house he has grey windows but ugly silver hinges on the outside. I think they look terrible and this attention to detail should be picked up by an architect on his own house.

Security - How many locking points do the windows and doors have or what type of security standards do they meet? Are they standard keys or the special ones you need to get cut for doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Which one will air tighten the frames to the walls? (and I don't mean expanding foam ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Dudda wrote: »
    I’d break it down into categories and see who wins the most. For example price is one category. Others are below:

If you can compare the u-values of the whole window it will give you an indication which preforms best thermally. Be very careful as some give the u-value of the glass ONLY as this is much better. Maybe ask for both the u-value of the glass and the u-value of the window.

Do the windows open inward or out? Do you’ve a preference?

Can the windows have a different colour inside and out. eg white inside and grey outside. This might be additional cost on some / not available or not required by you.

Ask to see a photo (or better a sample) of the handles on the windows. Some come with nice stainless steel handles. I’ve seen cheap plastic handles on others which are terrible and make the whole window cheap. I think it’s important too for the front door. Is it a nice handle, big pull bar, etc.

Some higher quality windows and doors have the hinges hidden into the frames. Do any have this or are they all exposed? Are the hinges nice looking if you can see them or do they look terrible? For example on Dermot Bannon’s own house he has grey windows but ugly silver hinges on the outside. I think they look terrible and this attention to detail should be picked up by an architect on his own house.

Security - How many locking points do the windows and doors have or what type of security standards do they meet? Are they standard keys or the special ones you need to get cut for doors?

Thank you - that is more than helpful and a more objective than I was being

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Which one will air tighten the frames to the walls? (and I don't mean expanding foam ;))

Is air tightening something different to sealing the outside of the window frames to the house itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Is air tightening something different to sealing the outside of the window frames to the house itself?

What do you mean by "the outside of the window frames"?

Airtightening windows is done internally by taping the window frames to the window reveals with specific airtightness tape. This work is then covered over with plasterboard / plaster finish etc.

• Advertisement

MicktheMan wrote: »
    What do you mean by "the outside of the window frames"?

Airtightening windows is done internally by taping the window frames to the window reveals with specific airtightness tape. This work is then covered over with plasterboard / plaster finish etc.

Ok - I wasn't aware of that. I will check that out. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is this a new build ?

BryanF wrote: »
    Is this a new build ?

No - it is replacement of existing hardwood windows with uPVC

Advertisement