Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary connection during major works on site

Options
  • 14-01-2020 6:11pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been reading the thread about temporary connections, and we are facing into an interesting situation for a while.

House supply comes through the garage, where there is a complex panel with automatic generator changeovers, on a 3 phase supply, with one phase also separately switched and connected over to the house.

To allow OPW to carry out some major works close to the garage, it's going to have to be demolished for safety, so that means a temporary connection for the house, and the best way I can see of dealing with this will be to reconnect the (original) single phase feed in what was the meter cabinet for the house, and remove the garage system while the work is carried out.

In theory, it should just be a case of putting in an official meter in the cabinet with an appropriate terminator on the incoming supply, as it would have been when the house was originally built.

My concern is that they may regard this as a "temporary supply", and refuse to allow it to be connected, in that once the OPW finish their work (which could take up to 12 months), the garage will be rebuilt, and the original generator etc control panels and switching will be reinstated.

The garage will obviously be a complete rewire, once they put it back, but there will be no changes to the supply or services in the house.

What's the certification situation likely to be with all of this, the house is 30 years old, and I suspect that some of the things that were acceptable then are possibly going to be problematic if a complete recertification of the entire installation is required.

The existing installation that's been in place for a good while is regarded by ESB as non domestic, due to 3 phase and the generator systems.

This was all supposed to have been done over 3 years ago, but OPW's progress on the project has been glacially slow, and I'm getting worried that as a result of yet more changes in the rules, we may be faced with all manner of problems with getting everything back in working order again after the OPW work has been completed, and we don't have the funding that could be needed to do upgrades on the house if the rules change yet again.

Anyone any experience with this sort of scenario?

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Initially you’ll need a Cert to reposition meter. Some upgrades on existing installation may be required for this. A notice of potential hazard may be issued at same time for issues that may be found but were compliant at time of original installation.

When all work is done then you’ll need a new certificate for 3ph installation and metering in new garage

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, that covers some of the worries, from looking at the planned changes that are in the pipeline, where are we likely to stand re things like the new cables earth wire size, and panel changes to put extra breakers and the like in to it inside the house, as that could be a very big issue if we're faced with an almost total rewire of the house, none of the wiring would comply with the earth wire size and covering, it's all the old (accepted at the time) 2 core plus earth wire. My worry is who would be responsible for the costs of that, in that the OPW are requiring the garage to be removed, but getting them to accept the cost of a rewire in the house could be a very different issue if it arises, and we won't have any control over who is appointed to do the job, as it's OPW/Meath County Council who are responsible and paying the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

OK, that covers some of the worries, from looking at the planned changes that are in the pipeline, where are we likely to stand re things like the new cables earth wire size, and panel changes to put extra breakers and the like in to it inside the house, as that could be a very big issue if we're faced with an almost total rewire of the house, none of the wiring would comply with the earth wire size and covering, it's all the old (accepted at the time) 2 core plus earth wire. My worry is who would be responsible for the costs of that, in that the OPW are requiring the garage to be removed, but getting them to accept the cost of a rewire in the house could be a very different issue if it arises, and we won't have any control over who is appointed to do the job, as it's OPW/Meath County Council who are responsible and paying the bills.

I would imagine that if the OPE are forcing you to knock down the garage this will in turn have a knock on effect for you along with associated costs. Like anything you would need to clearly explain the situation to them and get agreement that they will be liable for any remedial costs.

If they were not willing to pay a potential cost for you to upgrade then I would simply tell them they can’t go ahead with knocking down my garage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

New rules can’t be applied retrospectively. Once the installation is safe and compliant with the rules at the time I think you will be fine. Naturally new work would have to comply with current regulations.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

2011 wrote: »
    New rules can’t be applied retrospectively. Once the installation is safe and compliant with the rules at the time I think you will be fine. Naturally new work would have to comply with current regulations.

Thanks, that should cover it, there will be zero changes inside the house, the only change will be to remove the temporary single phase supply, and reconnect the single phase feed from the garage, which should in theory (don't you love that phrase) be straight forward enough.

Thanks

Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement