Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike got stolen

• 14-01-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

At the Dunnes stores Childers Road. Cheap mountain bike, yet got me around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'd bet €50 that if you went to the halting site 200 metres away you'd get.... nothing but understanding and sympathy.

Although, now that I think of it, they weren't all that sympathetic that night I drove by when their kids were standing outside it pelting large rocks at cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I'd bet €50 that if you went to the halting site 200 metres away you'd get.... nothing but understanding and sympathy.

Although, now that I think of it, they weren't all that sympathetic that night I drove by when their kids were standing outside it pelting large rocks at cars.

Culture, boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mango Joe wrote: »

I did have that location as first point of call. Will be going for runs around the loop from Brookfield Hall to Childers Road. If I see the scoat with the bike he'll be hitting the ground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, I remember when that happened to me out there. I left my bike outside Pizza Hut. It wasn't there for long. :( Talking 2012-ish. The Gardaí literally couldn't have cared less, which shocked me at the time but makes total sense now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not nice to lose the steed. What kind of lock had you on there Yflyer? They can get through all locks if they want, but the trick is to avoid have the easiest lock on the rack.

There must be CCTV over that entire carpark but as Overlord warns, Gardaí may not be too bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

topper75 wrote: »
    Not nice to lose the steed. What kind of lock had you on there Yflyer? They can get through all locks if they want, but the trick is to avoid have the easiest lock on the rack.

There must be CCTV over that entire carpark but as Overlord warns, Gardaí may not be too bothered.

I hide it behind a wall without locking. Stupid of me.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I did have that location as first point of call. Will be going for runs around the loop from Brookfield Hall to Childers Road. If I see the scoat with the bike he'll be hitting the ground.

The thief, traveller or otherwise, is unlikely to be the one actually riding around on your bike. I'd be surprised if he nicked it for the benefit of his personal fitness regime or transport needs, more likely it was hit for its re-sale value and you'd have a better chance of seeing it on a buy&sell mag in Cork, Galway, Tralee, etc etc than anywhere even close to where it was stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No lock? The person who took it probably didn't even want it.
    Some cultures have the attitude to take anything you can get even if it's not needed.

Reminds me of this story, if they couldn't get any cigarettes or change they would then ask what time it is so they felt they got something from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

tuxy wrote: »
    Reminds me of this story, if they couldn't get any cigarettes or change they would then ask what time it is so they felt they got something from you.

Years ago I was asked for the time, this was early 2000's when I didn't even have a mobile phone. I lifted up my watch and read the time, he replied "Nah man, I want Nokia time!".

It later occurred to me that if I had a phone to take out he'd have grabbed it.

Advertisement