Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross bike or gravel bike

Options
  • 14-01-2020 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

I never got to experience CX this year but plan to do it next season and race it.

Just wondering is there a huge difference between a gravel and CX bike when it comes to racing?

I was hoping to use the bike for the following based on priority as far as comfort goes

1) CX racing
    2) commute infrequently from Kildare to Dublin on top of my current training (triathlon)
    3) get lost up the mountains for a couple of hours (3/4)

Has experience folk on here have any advice for a “Noob” as they say in fortnite land!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

A gravel bike will have more options for racks and mudguards.
    I have a couple of gravel bikes but then I'm not into racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I have a Specialized Diverge that I use primarily for audaxing but have also raced CX over the last two season on it. Only disadvantage it has over a pure cross bike is the front derailleur on a double chainring can accumulate mud on heavier courses (as opposed to a pure 1x11) as well as less clearance around bottom bracket which also gathers mud and debris. It is mostly a case of delaying the inevitable in build up but in terms of handling, durability and tyre clearance it is very adaptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

If you plan to race cyclocross, get a cross bike. I have a Specialized Crux I use for racing, commuting, gravel rides and the occasional road ride. Have a double crankset on my bike as I prefer it to a 1X setup.

Geometry is better suited to racing, easier to shoulder the bike and the bottom bracket is higher than a gravel bike so less issues in the mud or on a tight course.

I plan on getting a Diverge to replace my road bike but won't be using it for cross as it won't ride as well as the Crux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

nak wrote: »
    If you plan to race cyclocross, get a cross bike. I have a Specialized Crux I use for racing, commuting, gravel rides and the occasional road ride. Have a double crankset on my bike as I prefer it to a 1X setup.

Geometry is better suited to racing, easier to shoulder the bike and the bottom bracket is higher than a gravel bike so less issues in the mud or on a tight course.

I plan on getting a Diverge to replace my road bike but won't be using it for cross as it won't ride as well as the Crux.

Thanks Nak, I know this is subjective but using a cx bike for 3/4 hours spins offroad for example would you be comfortable with that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

ste2010 wrote: »
    Thanks Nak, I know this is subjective but using a cx bike for 3/4 hours spins offroad for example would you be comfortable with that ?

Yeah, I find my bike very comfortable and ride some of the easier MTB trails on it. The pros will be out 4-5 hours off-road on their cyclocross bikes. It's hard to do a ride that is all off-road here of that duration unless you are mountain biking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Something like a Croix de Fer maybe? It's neither a gravel or cyclocross bike afaik, at least the older ones. Kind of marketed as adventure bikes/cyclocross/touring bikes before Gravel bikes were booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

When you say "get lost up the mountains" is that on or off road?

Personally I would be leaning towards a CX bike. They're obviously what you want for CX racing and with a change of wheels/tyres they make for beautiful road bikes.

fat bloke wrote: »
    When you say "get lost up the mountains" is that on or off road?

Personally I would be leaning towards a CX bike. They're obviously what you want for CX racing and with a change of wheels/tyres they make for beautiful road bikes.

Basically between fields, tracks and roads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ste2010 wrote: »
    I never got to experience CX this year but plan to do it next season and race it.

Just wondering is there a huge difference between a gravel and CX bike when it comes to racing?

I was hoping to use the bike for the following based on priority as far as comfort goes

1) CX racing
    2) commute infrequently from Kildare to Dublin on top of my current training (triathlon)
    3) get lost up the mountains for a couple of hours (3/4)

Has experience folk on here have any advice for a “Noob” as they say in fortnite land!

CX bike is a CX racing machine. It has what's need for racing and nothing else.

Gravel bikes are CX bikes, but made for ordinary people - geometry a bit relaxed, mount points for mud-guards and racks, flared hoods for comfort. They are not restricted by UCI rules either, so are able to fit wider tyres...

Generally, a gravel will be much more versitile than a CX bike. But if you want CX racing, I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to do that on a gravel...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

How much of each are you going to do?
    As the above poster is bang on - a cx bike is a race machine, a gravel bike is a gravel bike

I have a club-mate who I train and race cx with. He took it up last year. Bought a gravel bike to train and race on, with no intention of actual 'gravel' riding, to save a few bob . He almost instantly regretted it - heavy, cable routing down the down tube, 2x setup - all the things you don;t want for cx racing....

So my advice - think hard about what you will spend most time doing - cx training/racing or gravel spins, and buy accordingly

• Advertisement

boomdocker wrote: »
    How much of each are you going to do?
    As the above poster is bang on - a cx bike is a race machine, a gravel bike is a gravel bike

I have a club-mate who I train and race cx with. He took it up last year. Bought a gravel bike to train and race on, with no intention of actual 'gravel' riding, to save a few bob . He almost instantly regretted it - heavy, cable routing down the down tube, 2x setup - all the things you don;t want for cx racing....

So my advice - think hard about what you will spend most time doing - cx training/racing or gravel spins, and buy accordingly
    Thanks for the guidance I think I’m sold on the CX now as I know I’ll want to “try” And compete. If I’m up against it on a gravel bike I’ll regret getting one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Just remember the alu cross bikes usually have the mudguard mountings but not the carbon frames, and this makes them a lot more versatile for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just remember the alu cross bikes usually have the mudguard mountings but not the carbon frames, and this makes them a lot more versatile for the winter.

I have a Focus Mares AX which I bought purely with the intention to race CX on. Perfect to race with, plenty do it's a popular model on the cross scene. Added bonus on the alu framed versions are rack and mudguard mounts on the rear, none on the carbon fork though.
    I decided to give the gravel grinder I bash last year and knew my current CX bike wouldn't take a tyre wider than 33c. Knew the focus had much better tyre clearance and ended up fitting 38c tyres on with room to spare, could fit 40c if pushed. Handled the course with ease. Plenty of others on CX bikes but with narrower tyres and a lot of punctures.
    So I'd say go for the CX bike but check the clearance options for fitting wider tyres on what ever bike you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I never looked into it too much, but when I was researching N+1, some CX bikes are a bit more relaxed than pure racing machines. The CAADX was an early contender before I decided I wasn't really interested in racing cross, and I discovered the Alu Topstones. iirc the CAADX and SuperX are the same geometry, but the CAADX has less stated clearance at 37mm. Has Rack and mudguard mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Cx bike for racing, for sure. Gravel bikes are slow.
    I have a Specialized Diverge that I use primarily for audaxing .

Do you mind me asking what size tyres you ride on these presumably long spins?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

a148pro wrote: »
    Cx bike for racing, for sure. Gravel bikes are slow.

Do you mind me asking what size tyres you ride on these presumably long spins?

28s Armadillos or Roubaixs - Challenge Linus 33s for cross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

How does it compare to a road bike when you're riding 28s? I've a diverge with 37s on it now and it came with 33s. Seems to be about 10 per cent slower than the road bike with 26s. Wondering if I got second set of wheels / tyres could it be an n - 1.

Suspect not as a fast road bike is just fast and is a pleasure to ride when you're in a fast mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I had a carbon Focus Mares that I did a few cx races on and then put road wheels onto and used as a regular road training bike for two years. Was a marvellous road bike. I eventually changed the crank as well cos the 42 big ring didn't really cut it. Did the westportif challenge on it and ended up putting up loads of training miles winter and summer. I absolutely loved it. Comfortable ride and pin sharp at the same time. If I only had space for one bike for some reason, then it would be a cracking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hi folks, bumping an old thread but with same theme.

Am looking for a bike that can be used for
    (i) trail circuits of the phoenix park once or twice a week over winter (and summer), which can have a lot of roots and bumps, probably 90 minute spins.
    (ii) occasional cross racing - maybe 3 or 4 times a year - I've never done this before but am hoping to get into it once the races start up again.
    (iii) maybe some winter road cycling, I have a good road bike but wouldnt bring it out in November/ December, dont think the control is good enough.

Bike shop is telling me to get a gravel bike, that I can change to cross tyres if I am racing.

I am inclined to agree.

The one thing thats stopping me is that I already have a decent enough hybrid (Trek FX3) and the perceived wisdom is that a gravel is just a hybrid with drop bars.....

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I swapped a gravel bike 4 years ago for a set of Powertap 50mm rims. It’s a kona rove ST. I would have done the majority of my biking on the road and have roadie and TT as that’s what the group I cycle with do. But winter time and solo rides I always use the gravel bike now as the road less travelled is less risky with cars. It took a while before I converted to tubeless and put really wide tires 42mm wtb resolute. That made a massive difference to comfort and no hassle with punctures. I love the versatility for winter exploring and now seek out roads that you would never attempt on a road bike. I also take grass routes on Commonage across hills and mountains with ease. I have had it up in the new mountain bike park in Collaney and where it is limited on some of the trails you can still ride them all and I have took it acroos the Sligo/ Leitrim/ miners way. I am now looking at upgrading. You can get gravel bikes as light as cross bikes with wider tyre clearance and will go anywhere. I am 44 my hips are getting tight and results in races are not as important so a more relaxed geometry doesn’t bother me :) To be honest a quality gravel bike with disk brakes and a set of separate rims for road, gravel and Cx is the way I am going instead of 3x separate bikes I have a my present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement