Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election 2020 Fingal Constituency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I think its a case that many want a change and see them as a viable alternative and as you say younger voters maybe don't know of their history.

I'm actually more scared by their economics. Their election manifesto seems to be based on finding the goose that lays the golden eggs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can't see Sinn Féin getting any real majority until my generation has passed away because there's just no forgetting the news bulletins every evening. If a lot of younger people are voting for them, they must have parents who were too young to know what was going on back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

seagull wrote: »
    Their election manifesto seems to be based on finding the goose that lays the golden eggs.
    And then slaughtering it......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

seagull wrote: »
    I'm actually more scared by their economics. Their election manifesto seems to be based on finding the goose that lays the golden eggs.

The rise of SF confuses me a bit especially amongst the younger generation, I get not wanting to vote FFG, but there isn't much attractive or coherent about SF.

Would have expected more of a Green/SD etc bounce. Is it because they were the biggest "other"?

Everyone I ask why, the response I get is "they aren't FFG", which is odd as SF likely have less chance of being in government then the Greens and others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am not fundamentally against SF at this stage, if they repositioned the party somewhere closer to the centre and had a coherent economic policy I might give them a vote, but not in their current guise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am not fundamentally against SF at this stage, if they repositioned the party somewhere closer to the centre and had a coherent economic policy I might give them a vote, but not in their current guise.

I care less about their history and still wouldn't vote for them. They're policy packages are terrible and economically they don't add up.
    No preference from me for them.

Uriel. wrote: »
    I care less about their history and still wouldn't vote for them. They're policy packages are terrible and economically they don't add up.
    No preference from me for them.

It's easy to tout policies that make no sense from the sidelines, thankfully they made a bollox of this election and after the poor local and europeans only fielded 42 candidates, which is far too few if you believe last weekends poll.

Voted in Applewood before the Rubgy, was alot busier than I have seen it when voting in the past. Makes sense to have an election on a Sat imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was very busy in our polling station aswell at 11am. However doesnt neccesaily mean high turnout just that people vote at different times on Saturday.

I'd say nobody at the stations at 7am but on normal week day loads vote at this time before work. Similarly I'd say it will be very quiet in stations after about 7pm but on normal day one of busier times as people come home from work etc.

appledrop wrote: »
    It was very busy in our polling station aswell at 11am. However doesnt neccesaily mean high turnout just that people vote at different times on Saturday.

I'd say nobody at the stations at 7am but on normal week day loads vote at this time before work. Similarly I'd say it will be very quiet in stations after about 7pm but on normal day one of busier times as people come home from work etc.

No Garda at my polling station today. I used to always remember a Garda being present at every polling station I've gone to over the past 20 years. Has there been a change in requirements? Or was there ever a formal requirement, just something that struck me today because I walked down with my wife and Newborn and hung around for small while just observing the atmosphere etc.

• Advertisement

No Garda at my polling station today. I used to always remember a Garda being present at every polling station I've gone to over the past 20 years. Has there been a change in requirements? Or was there ever a formal requirement, just something that struck me today because I walked down with my wife and Newborn and hung around for small while just observing the atmosphere etc.

Never seen a Garda at any of my polling stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

None at mine today... pretty sure I remember them previously.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was surprised to see no Garda at our polling station today too. 61.5% turnout at the Holy Family school in Rivervalley.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Any news on Fingal count?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

64% votes tallied,

O'Reilly SF 24.3%
    O'Brien FF 15.7%
    O'Brien GP 13.6%
    Farrell FG 9.6%
    Smith LAB 7.4%
    Murphy NP 5.8%
    Clifford-Lee FF 5.7%
    Reilly FG 4.9%
    Mulligan I4C 4.1%
    Mulville 3.8%
    O'Doherty NP 1.9%
    Kelleher S-PBP 1.1%
    Brady NP 0.9%
    Uwhumiakpor S 0.7%

They also just covered on RTE so if you run back the tv about 10 mins...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just updated

75% votes tallied at 11.28am

O'Reilly SF 24.7%
    O'Brien FF 15.3%
    O'Brien GP 13.1%
    Farrell FG 9.5%
    Smith LAB 7.5%
    Murphy NP 6.3%
    Clifford-Lee FF 5.7%
    Reilly FG 5.2%
    Mulligan I4C 4.1%
    Mulville 3.6%
    O'Doherty NP 2.0%
    Kelleher S-PBP 1.1%
    Brady NP 0.9%
    Uwhumiakpor S 0.7%

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Just updated

75% votes tallied at 11.28am

O'Reilly SF 24.7%
    O'Brien FF 15.3%
    O'Brien GP 13.1%
    Farrell FG 9.5%
    Smith LAB 7.5%
    Murphy NP 6.3%
    Clifford-Lee FF 5.7%
    Reilly FG 5.2%
    Mulligan I4C 4.1%
    Mulville 3.6%
    O'Doherty NP 2.0%
    Kelleher S-PBP 1.1%
    Brady NP 0.9%
    Uwhumiakpor S 0.7%

I might puke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I might puke

Incredible. Must have a large family

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Incredible. Must have a large family

I am literally praying that transfers, such as my own, will bump him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Unreal. Some people have no issue with insurance fraud obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

89% tally

Will Alan Farrell get bumped out on transfers? It's a 5 seater right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Will Alan Farrell get bumped out on transfers? It's a 5 seater right?

No, he's ok.
    God knows how.

Edit, Tony Murphy polling well and will transfer well from many sources, might yet get a seat but will probably have to edge out Labour rather than FG to do so.

100% Tally

• Advertisement

Raging Alan Farrell looks safe. Hopeful Smith gets a seat.

Murphy polled well none of us was expecting that but seems like a nice guy so dont mind if he gets it instead.

Thankfully Clifford Lee didn't do well + Sinn Fein way ahead so im hoping that there is limited transfers to her from O Brien.

However as everyone is saying throughout the country we have no idea where Sinn Fein excess votes will go so we will just have to wait + see.

Raging Alan Farrell looks safe. Hopeful Smith gets a seat.

Murphy polled well none of us was expecting that but seems like a nice guy so dont mind if he gets it instead.

Thankfully Clifford Lee didn't do well + Sinn Fein way ahead so im hoping that there is limited transfers to her from O Brien.

However as everyone is saying throughout the country we have no idea where Sinn Fein excess votes will go so we will just have to wait + see.

Rte just put up a screenshot of where second preferences are going and it was 22 FF 21 FG 11SF so it's all still to play for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

So disappointed to see Farrell get such a vote.

Are people thick, does nothing whatsoever of note for the last term, employs wife as secretary and files a scam insurance claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

AmberGold wrote: »

Are people thick, does nothing whatsoever of note for the last term, employs wife as secretary and files a scam insurance claim.

Not to mention a roaming expense

Find this hard to believe. We must be right fckn thick, (I didnt give him or Reilly any preference). He obviously done more for his local middle class mates in Malahide, Portmarnock because everyone I spoke to didnt want him next or near a seat as he done nothing for north Fingal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AmberGold wrote: »

sad state of affairs really... I thought FG disgraced themselves selecting Farrell and Reilly.. Complete disregard for the Fingal voter. But turns out that maybe they understand the FG base in Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Who is likely to win the remaining 4 seats?

Soulsun wrote: »
    Who is likely to win the remaining 4 seats?

Darragh O'Brien
    Joe O'Brien
    Alan Farrell
    Duncan Smith

Tony Murphy to just miss out. Will be a lot clearer after O'Reilly's surplus is distributed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Alan Farrell getting elected is a joke. People have lost their marbles voting for him. A complete chancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

RobFowl wrote: »
    Aspiring Fingal TD Gemma O Doherty parked in a disabled bay in Balrothery tonight. Classy.

EO57rvKXkAEeuTd?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Did you cut and paste that, they is no signage pole or painted on the ground that the space is for Disabled users only.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

kravmaga wrote: »
    Did you cut and paste that, they is no signage pole or painted on the ground that the space is for Disabled users only.

The disabled sign in painted clearly on the ground directly under the van. I took the picture myself.

If you zoom in on the photo you can see it clearly.

RobFowl wrote: »
    The disabled sign in painted clearly on the ground directly under the van. I took the picture myself.

She's a piece of work that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭koutoubia

kravmaga wrote: »
    There is a BIG Wheelchair sign freshly painted on the ground.
    You would have to be blind or just plainly dont give a fook to ignore it!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

koutoubia wrote: »
    There is a BIG Wheelchair sign freshly painted on the ground.
    You would have to be blind or just plainly dont give a fook to ignore it!
    I know it's fresh - saw Rob painting it the other day

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No Garda at my polling station today. I used to always remember a Garda being present at every polling station I've gone to over the past 20 years. Has there been a change in requirements? Or was there ever a formal requirement....
    That was the first thing I noticed when voting in Skerries last night. In over 30 years of voting, I've never been at a polling station without a Garda. There was even one there at the recent by-election because he kept an eye on my bike while I went in.

• Advertisement

That was the first thing I noticed when voting in Skerries last night. In over 30 years of voting, I've never been at a polling station without a Garda. There was even one there at the recent by-election because he kept an eye on my bike while I went in.

Must have been some new direction or something then. Unusual.

Struggling to understand the Farrell vote. Can only assume FG voters prefer him over Reilly. While I actually hate voting for national politicians based on local issues/performance, but I haven't seen a jot from Farrell at either local or national level that warrants a vote. I'd actually prefer Reilly and I don't particularly like him

A family member told me they voted for Farrell + I nearly fell off my chair. Basically it was a vote for FG rather than the canidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Struggling to understand the Farrell vote. Can only assume FG voters prefer him over Reilly. While I actually hate voting for national politicians based on local issues/performance, but I haven't seen a jot from Farrell at either local or national level that warrants a vote. I'd actually prefer Reilly and I don't particularly like him
    There's a FG quota in the constituency and Reilly is disliked more. Think of it the same way some people voted SF, party not candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What's Tony Murphys chances? Hes close right?

What's Tony Murphys chances? Hes close right?

You just never know. Paul Murphy was 5th on 1st round in his constituency+ jumped right up to 3rd when Sinn Fein surplus etc was distributed.

The last seat is all to play for in Fingal. I'd say it will be Smith or Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A family member told me they voted for Farrell + I nearly fell off my chair. Basically it was a vote for FG rather than the canidate.
    ....or, as in my case, a vote to attempt to keep all those SF/PBP/far left head bangers out.

Actually can't fully rule out Mulligan either. He didn't poll well but cleaning up on transfers so we will have to wait + see if that continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Alan Farrell used to run a property management company before becoming a TD and managed a property I rented. He was always very nice to deal with, responsive to queries, quick to deal with any issues. I rented in 11 places in Dublin and he was easily the best I dealt with.

The insurance case was dodgy though, I certainly regard it as taking advantage of a broken system (one which he should be trying to fix). I'd like to have voted for him, but couldn't. The primary reason was fine Gael though. Years of neglect of capital spending and I'd never trust them to make a decision based on what was right. It will always be down to how it will affect their popularity.

I voted green. They're the most likely to listen to experts I reckon, even at their own expense.

I don't know how anyone would vote for sinn Fein though. They were happy enough to sit out the last 3 years up north, their policies are completely unrealistic, the kangaroo court they had for Maria Cahill is very recent- long after good Friday. I want fg/ff out but I'd rather Bertie as taoiseach than sinn Fein in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I just don’t get it....if i’m not mistaken Louise O’Reilly doesn’t even live in Fingal, she lives in Dublin 12 I think yet she tops the poll in Fingal .... WTF is that about ???

Advertisement