Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Report

• 14-01-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi
    I’m building a new house. It’s self build and direct labour.
    When the house is completed do we need to get a final BER report?
    The house will never be sold. There is no mortgage on it.
    Thanks in advance 😊

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

:pac: No, throw it up any aul way, shure it'll be grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Redliner123

MicktheMan wrote: »
    :pac: No, throw it up any aul way, shure it'll be grand :pac:

Well it won’t be thrown up any aul way - my husband is a block layer. I just don’t want to bother wasting money on BER reports if I don’t need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

What answer did you get from your professional (architect / engineer) when you asked them?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi
    I’m building a new house. It’s self build and direct labour.
    When the house is completed do we need to get a final BER report?
    The house will never be sold. There is no mortgage on it.
    Thanks in advance ��

its illegal not to get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

MicktheMan wrote: »
    What answer did you get from your professional (architect / engineer) when you asked them?

I asked a similar question and was told to put my money into more airtightness rather than a BER. Is it really a legal requirement to have one even if the house is not being sold?

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    I asked a similar question and was told to put my money into more airtightness rather than a BER. Is it really a legal requirement to have one even if the house is not being sold?

yes there is

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well it won’t be thrown up any aul way - my husband is a block layer. I just don’t want to bother wasting money on BER reports if I don’t need to

You need a provisional BER anyway to work our what is required to comply with Part L. It’s a legal requirement to then publish the final BER once complete.
    Casati wrote: »

Who told you that? Johnny in the pub?
    Air tightness (air change rate) figures are inputted into the DEAP calculations so they both go hand in hand.

Dj usher....

What a perfect autocorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Howlin

Part of the Building Regulations says the maximum Energy and Carbon performance coefficient is to be 0.3 and 0.35 respectively. It mentions that the DEAP software will calculate it and indicate whether compliance has been achieved or not. There is also a requirement for 20% renewables to be achieved.

How else are you going to prove that the dwelling is in compliance with the Building Regulations and provide documentation to the Building Control Officer if they pop by?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

whoever prepares the DEAP software, furnishes you a provisional BER

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    whoever prepares the DEAP software, furnishes you a provisional BER

Let's not call it a provisional BER, because an actual "provisional ber" is not required

Its a preliminary Part L report which is needed

Advertisement