Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing downlight bulbs (Robus spring loaded spotlight)

Options
  • 15-01-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to change these spotlights. I believe the fitting is the one in the following link.

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/RS201E-13.html

There’s an easy to remove clip below the lightbulb on the inside of the fitting. Once remove however, the bulbs barely move. The bulbs are one some sort of spring loaded mechanism. I can push them up. However, no matter what I do I cannot remove them,

What’s the trick in getting them out. One bulb is dropping just below the light fitting. However the others barely drop down anything at all.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to change these spotlights. I believe the fitting is the one in the following link.

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/RS201E-13.html

There’s an easy to remove clip below the lightbulb on the inside of the fitting. Once remove however, the bulbs barely move. The bulbs are one some sort of spring loaded mechanism. I can push them up. However, no matter what I do I cannot remove them,

What’s the trick in getting them out. One bulb is dropping just below the light fitting. However the others barely drop down anything at all.

Cheers.

If they are gu10 bulbs they twist out similar to a standard bulb. You should be able pull it down just enough to grip the widest part of the bulb and twist.

Videos on YouTube show you how.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Take the spring clip out, they should drop a bit. twist them 1/8 turn anti-clockwise to release them.

They can be difficult if the bulb is old.

The pins on the top look like this.

38003048-halogen-light-bulb-gu10-ceramic-connector-with-two-pins-isolated-over-white.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Thanks guys. First one dropped just enough to twist and remove. I have 2 more to replace. However, the bulbs do not drop when I take off the clip. Trying to get them down with a screwdriver is very difficult.

Assume the springs in the mechanism are gone. Do they wear out? If I get these bulbs out, I’m not sure I’ll be able to get new ones in as the receiving socket will be too far up in the fitting with the spring gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you've had halogen bulbs in then they can stick after a long time.

Other option is to take the whole fitting down, it is normally held on spring clips above the ceiling plaster, should just pull down. Make sure the power is off first tho.

Steve wrote: »
    If you've had halogen bulbs in then they can stick after a long time.

Other option is to take the whole fitting down, it is normally held on spring clips above the ceiling plaster, should just pull down. Make sure the power is off first tho.

Think I may need new fittings alright. These ones are over 15 years old. Bad sign when the bulb does drop below the fitting. Cheers.

• Advertisement

The fitting should be ok if you can get the bulb out. just replace it with a LED. I have the exact same ones as what you linked to and had similar problems getting halogens out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

+1 to taking down the fitting. In my last place I had to take down the fitting every single time I changed a bulb, so that I could push the bulb out from the other end. They just didn't want to move otherwise.

Just be really careful of your fingers, if the springs holding the fitting to the ceiling manage to snap closed on your fingers there will be a lot of cursing. :)

Things going good. Have changed 3 of 6. Just can’t get the others down to twist them. My buy some suction cups which are supposed to be good at bringing them down below the fitting.

Ended up super gluing card board to the underside of the bulbs in order to pull them down to twist. A real bad design of socket. Also had to use a needle nose pliers to pull down the socket so that it was at a low enough level to get the new bulb in. Hopefully shouldn't have to do it too often given the LED bulbs have a 15 year life cycle.

Advertisement