Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park and Cycle Galway

Options
  • 15-01-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Please PM me and/or reply to this thread.

Anyone currently cycling from county Galway to Galway city?
    Anyone planning on cycling from county Galway to Galway city?
    Anyone like to cycle from county Galway to Galway city but think it's too far or too dangerous?

What is the interest out there?

I'm hoping to get official Park and Cycle hubs setup around Galway city e.g. Oranmore, Barna, ClareGalway, to enable commuters to park their cars at the hub and cycle from there to city on safer roads.
    Benefits:
    • Reduce commuter traffic.
    • Reduce toxic fumes.
    • Reduce commuter time.
    • Get exercise.
    • Reduce cost of commute.

I'm about to start cycling to work from Kinvara to Galway city, 30Km each way.
    It maybe too far, and too dangerous, so I'm interested in driving closer to Galway city, parking and cycling from there e.g. drive to Oranmore, park at Lidl and cycle on the coast road to town. Drive 15mins, cycle 30 mins.
    I've cycled the trip before, 1hr 30mins, the road is not ideal from Kinvara to Kilcolgan, dangerous.

I have noticed cars with bike racks parked off the coast road on the hard shoulder, I presume these are already doing the same but unofficially, it's only a matter of time before this is stopped.

I have contact the Galway Co Co (roads@GalwayCoCo.ie).
    Please contact me if you are interested in organizing something.

We may need to setup a petition if the interest is there.

Regards,
    Niall.

Comments

Advertisement